CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

Overgrowth strongholds. Tyrant Assault.

But I suppose I'm a shill for saying that.

Wouldn't call you a shill, but I might say your standards got lowered if you think Overgrowth is good. 

Enjoy what you want though, I never said you can't like them. 

Wouldn't call you a shill, but I might say your standards got lowered if you think Overgrowth is good. 

Enjoy what you want though, I never said you can't like them. 

:apg:

You know, if 343 never mentioned the word remix when talking about Overgrowth and Riptide, I guarantee that most people wouldn't even mention it. 

Bad maps in some cases? Sure. But the maps being bad isn't because of it being a remix.

If 343 had more one-sided objective variants, I feel like Riptide would play great. Love the color scheme/overall aesthetic of that map.

As far as map remixes are concerned, I'm upset with it out of principle. As RyanW sarcastically commented, it IS a lazy way for them to say "hey look everyone, we're putting out free content to justify REQs!!" When majority of the content should have either been there at launch or is a remix. (Obviously there are a few exceptions, biggest one being Warzone Firefight)

On a lighter note though, while I could easily tell Overgrowth and Riptide reuse a lot of assets, Tyrant looks COMPLETELY different from Coliseum. That's a map I would believe isn't a remix if it wasn't given the label.

Have I ever? Nope. 

Sweet meme though. 

I guess I can't poke fun at the word shill being thrown around more than a plasma grenade on Midship :(

I think Narrows is far more uninspired than anything Reach had for competitive play. Maybe that's just me but I think that map is just so linear and boring and a lot of its love is chalked up to nostalgia. 

I'd be down with a Haven remake or even Construct or Guardian.

I'm not a huge Narrows fan by any stretch, but as a general rule for remakes I don't think we should consider maps that wouldn't be improved by H5s new mechanics. Narrows does see some new and interesting gameplay with the lifts, so I'd be more willing to give it a shot than most. Haven would also improve /w thruster now being universal. Warlock/Sanc could potentially be good, but I'm honestly tired of playing them at this point (my two favorite H2 maps, but we've ran them into the ground) same thing with The Pit. Derelict is another that I think could have some potential.

Would much rather see some good forge maps or original dev maps, though. Really sucks that we had all this hyped up post-launch content, and it's been pretty much universally worse than the stuff we had day 1.

I'm still unsure on Tyrant Assault. The ability to play the ball so easily is kind of a problem yet the ability to move the ball so quickly across the map kind of mitigates that. Flag plays much better on Tyrant.

As for Riptide/Overgrowth, overgrowth has improved immensely and is actually enjoyable to play SH on. I'm still a firm believer that opening up Wind Tunnel and changing up the weapon layout on Riptide (no autos like Tyrant) will make it enjoyable.

Torque is the narrows of this game, fun for linear gameplay and that's it really. I like the changes they made, but I don't agree with a two snipe layout on any map in H5.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I'm still unsure on Tyrant Assault. The ability to play the ball so easily is kind of a problem yet the ability to move the ball so quickly across the map kind of mitigates that. Flag plays much better on Tyrant.

As for Riptide/Overgrowth, overgrowth has improved immensely and is actually enjoyable to play SH on. I'm still a firm believer that opening up Wind Tunnel and changing up the weapon layout on Riptide (no autos like Tyrant) will make it enjoyable.

Torque is the narrows of this game, fun for linear gameplay and that's it really. I like the changes they made, but I don't agree with a two snipe layout on any map in H5.

I gotta agree with the bae. Having the bomb carrier be able to thrust twice with no movement penalty on such a small map can be a little bit too chaotic based off of what I've played. CTF sounds much better.

Also, I thought Overgrowth was the best when they still had one CQC weapon on the map (can't remember if Shotgun or Energy Sword).

Overgrowth strongholds. Tyrant Assault.

Tyrant takes the absolute worst parts of Halo 5 and puts them center stage. Overgrowth Strongholds is an OK gametype now that they've adjusted the weapon layout, but I would say it's probably still worse than every gametype currently being used competitively.

Torque CTF with the new changes is tolerable, but the fact that the flag can literally fall through the geometry of the map is pretty unforgivable IMO.

• Upvote (+1) 2

so linear            its love is chalked up to nostalgia. 

Welcome to Halo 3 in general, but you're right Narrows is awful. Its the staple, the definition of linear aggression.

a lot of its love is chalked up to nostalgia. 

That's Halo 3 in gener..

Welcome to Halo 3 in general

What. The. Shit.  Get out of my head.

I'm just glad there are still people who remember our history.  I saw that Naded rant video last night and to see him praise Halo 3 as this highly competitive game in comparison to Halo 5 was................  well....  Let's just say I heavily disagree.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I can't wait to find out how 343 fucks it up. I've finally reached that point where I know better than to get excited for anything they announce. Something will be wrong, I just know it.

Alright Mr Debbie Downer.

That's Halo 3 in gener..

What. The. Shit.  Get out of my head.

I'm just glad there are still people who remember our history.  I saw that Naded rant video last night and to see him praise Halo 3 as this highly competitive game in comparison to Halo 5 was................  well....  Let's just say I heavily disagree.

Link to video.

Link to video.

https://www.twitch.tv/naded/v/60883417

Was Naded's "rant" (for optimal click-bait) on Halo 5 linked here yet? I'm not sure what time some of this was said. But he definitely talks about some things that really need to be said by someone in the pro scene, and goes on for 30-40 min about it.

Relevant bit starts at 2:25:10.

I'm just glad there are still people who remember our history. I saw that Naded rant video last night and to see him praise Halo 3 as this highly competitive game in comparison to Halo 5 was................ well.... Let's just say I heavily disagree.

Yeah that video had some decent points but a lot of it is nostalgia based reasoning and riding off of the reactions of his chat. Whenever they screamed something he'd get passionate about it. I love Naded's passion for Halo but I don't think he was being objective in certain areas.

I do think he was right about the Sniper and Railgun being way too easy to use, but we all know that. Other things like playlists, the Scattershot being easy, or the game as a whole being 'noob friendly' are major overstatements or just things that he didn't elaborate on at all.

Halo 5 certainly has gimmicks, absolutely. Primarily the Storm Rifle, a slightly overpowered AR, and Radar, but insinuating that the entire game doesn't have a steep skill curve is a bit absurd in my opinion.

Biggest problems on Riptide are in my opinion

1. Beam Rifle/Wind Tunnel Combo
  2. Three narrow entrances to Dunes (Blue Bridge, Blue Tree, Bottom Mid)
  3. Storm Rifles

Tyrant takes the absolute worst parts of Halo 5 and puts them center stage. Overgrowth Strongholds is an OK gametype now that they've adjusted the weapon layout, but I would say it's probably still worse than every gametype currently being used competitively.

Torque CTF with the new changes is tolerable, but the fact that the flag can literally fall through the geometry of the map is pretty unforgivable IMO.

I honestly think a lot of the DLC maps have potential in certain gametypes...

Assault works on a few maps, Torque CTF and Tyrant CTF I'm hearing good things about (I personally enjoyed Tyrant Slayer from what I've played, although I hate the Barrels), Riptide Strongholds seems to be a mixed bag of opinions and Overgrowth Strongholds actually has some clean routes

But all of this is ruined because people have to play Torque Assault, Riptide Slayer (which actually got worse since the removal of Fuel Rod), and CamoRailgun Overgrowth Slayer.

Well said Infinity.  To touch on radar, I find it interesting how no one who played the DOOM beta complained for its lack of radar, yet we have Halo fans who say it would be the end of the world if they removed it from matchmaking.

I think a fair compromise would be to change it to sound/sprint-based radar instead of what we've experienced since 2004.  It's a crutch that gimps awareness for lesser skilled players when there are other feedback systems in play to help with that, such as friendly indicators and various audio cues.  It's time to move past crouch-walking and running circles around cover.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I think Naded just wants the game too be projectile instead of hitscan since his main complaints were about the power weapons being to easy too use and the H3 comparisons which actually took skill due to shot leading being required.

Though I think Naded is entirely right in that aspect the game using projectiles would do wonders for the game and increase shooting skill gap with projectiles instead of hitscan bullets since you would actually have to lead your shots and making strafing more viable.

Ahh man the projectile debate.  What the hell did 343 do to the CE Pistol..........  There are projectile weapons in Halo 5, yet they decide to make the most iconic weapon in Halo that had a stigma of being overpowered, even more overpowered by making it hitscan......

And they ruined the Mk. V armor.  Why do Halo devs hate CE so much?  lol

• Upvote (+1) 6

Ahh man the projectile debate.  What the hell did 343 do to the CE Pistol..........  There are projectile weapons in Halo 5, yet they decide to make the most iconic weapon in Halo that had a stigma of being overpowered, even more overpowered by making it hitscan......

I do not think that they hate it, but I would guess that 90% of those (maybe more) who work at 343 don't truly understand CE or have ever played it at anything beyond a super casual level. They don't know any better. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

yeah, how the hell did the ruin Mark V. Dammit 343, you had it just fine in Halo 4, and what did you do to it in Halo 5?

You 343'd it, by making stupid changes no one wants just so you can call it your own.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I do not think that they hate it, but I would guess that 90% of those (maybe more) who work at 343 don't truly understand CE or have ever played it at anything beyond a super casual level. They don't know any better. 

Well that's insinuating that CE wasn't anything but a perfect accident akin to Smash Melee.

You still have to boil down the maps, gametypes, player count, and settings to get this god tier game that everyone worships. I don't even think 1% of Halo CE fans even recognize that gameplay's existence.

zRl5zBo.jpg

Meanwhile in console-land...everyone enjoys the game...

That's because PC players don't like getting old school PC shooters turned into console shooters. We have Unreal Tournament, Overwatch, and Lawbreakers to look forward to.  :sunglasses:

• Upvote (+1) 3