CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

All this discussion of DOOM when Overwatch was the real winner this weekend.

Can't wait for the full release. I played the beta a bit, and it was fun as hell.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Well it doesn't look to good over at Steam, 63% of the beta players who reviewed it hated it.

PC players are much more critical of games as we have a much bigger selection to choose from and especially with "Arena" shooters that got the console treatment. 

The game might do very well on consoles and be at the top of the most played list for awhile. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Game developer and fan of the series, Gary Riches, told the BBC, “I still like Doom 4 but it doesn’t feel like Doom 4, it feels like a sequel to Quake or Unreal Tournament. To me that’s disappointing. It’s still cool, it looks nice but it has lost what makes it Doom.”

lol what

I can't wait to see the "going back to arena roots" wallrunning in Halo 6

• Upvote (+1) 6

PC players are much more critical of games as we have a much bigger selection to choose from and especially with "Arena" shooters that got the console treatment.

The game might do very well on consoles and be at the top of the most played list for awhile.

Adding the fact that the "console treatment" is just about always a compromise.

All this discussion of DOOM when Overwatch was the real winner this weekend.

Agreed. I finally got into the Overwatch beta for last weekend and I had a blast. There are still a lot of problems, but nothing game breaking. Can't wait for the full release!

If anyone plans to play Overwatch, add me on Battle.net, EagleBurn#1173

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

and not being able to shoot, for extra rootyness.
  • Upvote (+1) 7

Works for Unreal.

Works for Unreal.

The slide works really well too. No sprint or taking away your ability to shoot needed. 

Works for Unreal.

Idk if Insight will ever be released but it works well in that game too. In this game you have the standard circle/strafe jumping movements and make a lot of noise, or you utilize and combine wall jumps with slides to navigate virtually the same way but silently. The first method gradually builds speed and the second gradually loses it. 

Is this similar in unreal? 

I never thought I'd see the day O_O

O8jKFQN.png

Why is GB always out of touch now?

Its funny looking back on the first few pages on what everyone wanted and didnt want H5 to be

Haha I mean we were just trying to breach a middle ground back then, I worry about the people who say they prefer H4 :flip:

The argument that X mechanic "goes against being an Arena Shooter" is forever the worst argument. You can say that you don't like a mechanic because of certain design flaws or because it was shoehorned in from other AAA Shooters but that isn't what makes or breaks an Arena shooter.

Why is GB always out of touch now?

Never forget when the first H5 $1K GB Tournament used Eden CTF as a gametype. Clueless.

What do people think of this playlist setup?

Ranked

HCS: Only HWC/Pro league gametypes.

Objective: All objective types/maps including non-HCS.

Slayer: Same as now.

Free-for-all: Same as now.

Rotating 5th: Will rotate with ladder season between swat, doubles, snipers and maybe one other.

Social

Objective

Slayer

Free-for-all

Big Team Battle

Breakout: Can't get rid of it completely because its 343's brainchild.

Two Bi-weekly rotating: Two out the following always active with offest rotation between them. Rockets, swords, grifball, fiesta, shotty snipes, and 1-2 other good action sack game type.

Don't you and IcePrincess constantly go back and forth in here about unrelated Halo stuff bro? Haha  :wink:  :laugh:

Lol in all seriousness, I think a lot of was comparisons, so it's still slightly related. I know I was talking about comparisons at least.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Also, the main thing I would say I can definitely understand negative reviews about (and that I've read) are the fact that there are loadouts. PC players are mainly negging the game for the same reason we hated Halo Reach and Halo 4 and the fact you can't strafe run like previous games. Most of the other complaints are just complaints just to complain (these graphics aren't totally 1337 for my 4k gr4phic5 card). 

But notice none of the complaints are not about aiming and "clunkiness." Which is what I came into the thread originally about because the aiming and movement is so damn fluent in this game; I would kill to be able to have aiming like this in Halo that is responsive, accurate, and can be tailored specifically for me. Sincerely hate when people say things are clunky on here because I swear 9/10 times it usually makes no sense.

Nah me and Kelly don't anymore...used to be half of what I posted here tho I'll admit.

Doom's aiming and Halo 5's aiming are night and day, Doom is so fluid and responsive while Halo 5 feels clunky and heavy. Hate it.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I don't necessarily disagree with your logic (although I do want a ranked Slayer playlist), but what about objective gametypes that aren't in HCS? Like, if Tyrant isn't added to HCS, is no one ever going to play Tyrant CTF ever again? That seems a bit silly.

Well then we get into a bunch of situational stuff that we have to look at

1. In a perfect world, all DLC maps would be held up to the same standards as the Vanilla Maps
  2. DLC Maps would (and probably still are) be implemented into the eSports Rotation, and would therefore belong in Team Arena
  3. Team Objective playlists have always and will always fall short in population (despite the minority making the demand seem larger than it actually is).

4. 343 is also overstepping their bounds in terms of map implementation for the recent DLC. There is a reason that Regret CTF or Coliseum Strongholds aren't anywhere in matchmaking, they should be thinking the same way for Sustain maps. I know they want to showcase the maps as best as possible, and some of the gametypes on them are fairly decent but throwing every gametype and seeing what sticks just raises the circle-jerk potential to claim the maps are terrible. If Overgrowth/Riptide Strongholds were the only ones in rotation (akin to Empire) I doubt people would complain as much and they could even be added to the HCS.

• Upvote (+1) 1

If the HCS is going to continue on having radar, can we at least turn grenade indiciators hit markers off? Ffs, I can honestly say that has been one of my most hated mechanics since Halo 4.

What do people think of this playlist setup?

Ranked
HCS: Only HWC/Pro league gametypes.

Objective: All objective types/maps including non-HCS.

Slayer: Same as now.

Free-for-all: Same as now.

Rotating 5th: Will rotate with ladder season between swat, doubles, snipers and maybe one other.

Social
Objective

Slayer

Free-for-all

Big Team Battle

Breakout: Can't get rid of it completely because its 343's brainchild.

Two Bi-weekly rotating: Two out the following always active with offest rotation between them. Rockets, swords, grifball, fiesta, shotty snipes, and 1-2 other good action sack game type.

Add a doubles playlist to ranked, and add a Snipers playlist to social; I'd dig that.

Nah me and Kelly don't anymore...used to be half of what I posted here tho I'll admit.

Doom's aiming and Halo 5's aiming are night and day, Doom is so fluid and responsive while Halo 5 feels clunky and heavy. Hate it.

Lol I don't care, I'm just messing with you man.

But yeah man if Halo 5 literally took JUST the aiming mechanics from Doom, the world would be a happier place to live in. I'd be a happy camper.

• Upvote (+1) 1

If the HCS is going to continue on having radar, can we at least turn grenade indiciators off? Ffs, I can honestly say that has been one of my most hated mechanics since Halo 4.

There are no Grenade Indicators in H5...

• Upvote (+1) 1

There are no Grenade Indicators in H5...

Umm.. Beg to differ.

Edit: Shit, you know what I meant man! lol!

Infinity knew what I meant lol, obviously we're all aware that we can't see the nade icons when they're thrown. I was referring to the stupid hit markers.

If the HCS is going to continue on having radar, can we at least turn grenade indiciators hit markers off? Ffs, I can honestly say that has been one of my most hated mechanics since Halo 4.

Add a doubles playlist to ranked, and add a Snipers playlist to social; I'd dig that.

Snipers should be rotational, not permanent. Dunno if you were implying that or not.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Infinity knew what I meant lol, obviously we're all aware that we can't see the nade icons when they're thrown. I was referring to the stupid hit markers.

I had no idea what you meant since we are all terminology scientists here haha.

We never did find out which was Aim Assist vs. Magnetism though...