CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

Genuinely curious, why don't any forgers make more quake-style maps for Halo 5?

http://www.goodstuffmaynard.com/portfolio/independent/cdg/index.html

Reason I ask is because this game has good mechanics that would adapt to quake-style maps pretty easily.

I suck at forge, but I love sketching out quake maps, and would love to share with forgers if they would be willing to create them.

Because everytime someone thinks "I'm gonna make a Quake map" all they do is copy Aerowalk and ruin it somehow.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Because everytime someone thinks "I'm gonna make a Quake map" all they do is copy Aerowalk and ruin it somehow.

You mean someone as in maybe 3 people lol

Most forge maps seem to be the same Midship and Lockout maps...super flat and wide, zero verticality

• Upvote (+1) 1

Reason I ask is because this game has good mechanics that would adapt to quake-style maps pretty easily.

I suck at forge, but I love sketching out quake maps, and would love to share with forgers if they would be willing to create them.

Haven't played these but I enjoyed looking at the videos of his maps.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2-UrBqkfLQHriCtRz4XGdQ?nohtml5=False

You obviously haven't played Downrush in CE.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Get with the good people at http://www.forgehub.com

I miss maps with portals.

Supposedly there's a new Arena map coming up with teleporters. I just wish they were on more maps :/

To be clear, I don't think a minor speed boost to CE would produce any meaningful results aside from increasing the shooting skill gap, which would be peachy.

But if players were whipping around at the speed of Quake or old Doom on Chill Out, it could have some negative repercussions.

@@Cursed Lemon @

I know I'm two days late to this discussion but I don't check beyond every day.

Something people don't initially realize about fast movement speed is how much more flexible the game design becomes with it. With fast movement, you can realistically make maps as long as you want them in tandem with the movement speed. So the "ideal" long range combat can grow, while the short range combat remains the same. Just because you move fast in quake, doesn't mean that you cant have small tight rooms for CQC. Quake has maps with a huge variation of line of sights, It just opens up the door for map more creative map design. Something that halo games have never been able to afford.

Slow movement means that while short range combat would remain the same, long range suffers.

It also inadvertently fixes issues with weapons that have short RRR. Fast movement ultimately is much more flexible than slow.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Add Purely Fat on Xbox live. He's probably one of the best forger in this game and I think you'll like his style.
  • Upvote (+1) 1

The problem is that Quake is primarily a 1v1 game, and the pacing is different from Halo. Ideally, Halo has a very neat and tidy cycle of power item spawns that have a lot to do with where you spawn, where you RE-spawn, when & how long it takes you to spawn, and how fast you can get from here to there. Quake has far less restrictions on this, and the power items spawn much more frequently, not to mention that Quake's player engagements are very different from Halo. It's a different beast with different considerations.

Lmao the first time I tried building a map in Reach this is exactly what I did.

@@Cursed Lemon @

I know I'm two days late to this discussion but I don't check beyond every day.

Something people don't initially realize about fast movement speed is how much more flexible the game design becomes with it. With fast movement, you can realistically make maps as long as you want them in tandem with the movement speed. So the "ideal" long range combat can grow, while the short range combat remains the same. Just because you move fast in quake, doesn't mean that you cant have small tight rooms for CQC. Quake has maps with a huge variation of line of sights, It just opens up the door for map more creative map design. Something that halo games have never been able to afford.

Slow movement means that while short range combat would remain the same, long range suffers.

It also inadvertently fixes issues with weapons that have short RRR. Fast movement ultimately is much more flexible than slow.

This is true but I have yet to see Halo have this "long range problem". Its maps are designed with its movement in mind. I mean, Damnation is pretty large but long range never suffers because you are consistently able to hit people from far away.

Would Halo's movement be good faster? Probably. Do I think making the game faster solves that problem? Not really.

I miss maps with portals.

Bungie talking about portals getting replaced because they're boring and I'm like "Yeah, because of you and your designs!"

You put portals in areas where both the sender and receivers can be part of the same engagement, and you've got something really interesting. Keeping track of where the enemy is while instantly relocating is fun as hell.  

Bungie talking about portals getting replaced because they're boring and I'm like "Yeah, because of you and your designs!"

You put portals in areas where both the sender and receivers can be part of the same engagement, and you've got something really interesting. Keeping track of where the enemy is while instantly relocating is fun as hell.

To be fair that kind of situation with portals being offensive combat strategies would be rare in Halo by virtue of Halo's speed vs Quakes.

This is true but I have yet to see Halo have this "long range problem". Its maps are designed with its movement in mind. I mean, Damnation is pretty large but long range never suffers because you are consistently able to hit people from far away.

Would Halo's movement be good faster? Probably. Do I think it necessarily needs to be? Not really.

This is really only true in CE, which by merit has its own great game design. Every other halo that has game design issues regarding the range of utility weapons (especially halo 5) would hugely benefit from a movement speed buff.

Also something to keep in mind. Fast movement speed in tandem with CE kill times wouldn't break the smaller maps, but it WOULD make the large maps (gephyrophobia and such) playable.

This is really only true in CE, which by merit has its own great game design. Every other halo that has game design issues regarding the range of utility weapons (especially halo 5) would hugely benefit from a movement speed buff.

Also something to keep in mind. Fast movement speed in tandem with CE kill times wouldn't break the smaller maps, but it WOULD make the large maps (gephyrophobia and such) playable.

Well now you're pulling a 343 where you're putting a band-aid on the problem instead of performing some live saving surgery and fixing the issue.

For the record I wouldn't really mind a faster movement speed in Halo, but I really don't think thats the problem.

To be fair that kind of situation with portals being offensive combat strategies would be rare in Halo by virtue of Halo's speed vs Quakes.

I'd say the role they have in aggression is just very design and situation dependant. How vulnerable is the receiver, what are the sightlines from that position, etc.

I miss them purely for their fun factor and the potential dynamic they add to a space when designing maps.

I'd say the role they have in aggression is just very design and situation dependant. How vulnerable is the receiver, what are the sightlines from that position, etc.

I miss them purely for their fun factor and the potential dynamic they add to a space when designing maps.

Oh yeah don't get me wrong I want them back too, but Halo teleportes aren't as dynamic as Quake's

I miss being able to play consecutive games without having to constantly quit the build to fix bugs or server issues.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I miss decent maps like Zanzibar, Ascension, and Guardian.  I also miss not circling my camera around because somebody decided that they wanted to do an Advanced Warfare-style jump-strafe and assassinating me.  I don't particularly like the new evasion mechanics.

• Upvote (+1) 1