CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

I could have sworn multi team was normally played on the normal maps not BTB maps, not as fun having people on vehicles all game imo.

I could have sworn multi team was normally played on the normal maps not BTB maps, not as fun having people on vehicles all game imo.

Multi team back in the day was 2v2v2v2 8 players total and played on normal maps.

I'll just pop in to say the jab about MS not reporting Xbox sales and pivoting to XBL unique users actually provides more accurate details to investors about the health of the platform. If MS sold X million Xboxes over the holiday and it turns out nobody actually liked their Xbox and traded it in or stopped playing it, previously that would simply look like X million Xboxes sold which looks positive. With the new reporting structure you would see a decrease in engagement, which would obviously be a bad thing and if it becomes a trend a really bad thing for the overall brand. Now you can see the actual interest in the console, and if you are a company looking to put your content on the xbox you understand how many people are in your market.

I don't think it's a secret that Xbox is trailing Playstation in global install base but the switch in reporting wasn't a nefarious plot to mask anything, if nothing else it gives you more information. Best example where the switch in install base vs active users would have been illuminating would be the Wii. Huge install base, but I don't know many people who actually used their console (or bought many games on it) after the first year. We didn't really see that loss of interest reflect in any numbers reported until we could see how a successor console, the Wii U fared.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Multi team was the best in Halo 3. KoTH on Guardian was crazy fun in multi team, pure chaos but fun. What I want out of a "social" playlist. 

• Upvote (+1) 6

how small we talking? warlock small?

Hard to say because they're different.

It's like overgrowth and regret had a baby.

Its probably roughly the size of the rig but a lot of that is map geometry/walls. The real scary part is that its very very similar to a Destiny map that also has the same aesthetic.

It's much smaller than rig.

I'll just pop in to say the jab about MS not reporting Xbox sales and pivoting to XBL unique users actually provides more accurate details to investors about the health of the platform. If MS sold X million Xboxes over the holiday and it turns out nobody actually liked their Xbox and traded it in or stopped playing it, previously that would simply look like X million Xboxes sold which looks positive. With the new reporting structure you would see a decrease in engagement, which would obviously be a bad thing and if it becomes a trend a really bad thing for the overall brand. Now you can see the actual interest in the console, and if you are a company looking to put your content on the xbox you understand how many people are in your market.

I don't think it's a secret that Xbox is trailing Playstation in global install base but the switch in reporting wasn't a nefarious plot to mask anything, if nothing else it gives you more information. Best example where the switch in install base vs active users would have been illuminating would be the Wii. Huge install base, but I don't know many people who actually used their console (or bought many games on it) after the first year. We didn't really see that loss of interest reflect in any numbers reported until we could see how a successor console, the Wii U fared.

Ya, buy there is no reason to not show both metrics

• Upvote (+1) 1

Huh? Giving us almost no information gives us more information?

• Upvote (+1) 5

Huh? Giving us almost no information gives us more information?

It's the same principle they're applying to Halo 5. Them giving us less content is actually more content if you think about it. 

• Upvote (+1) 6

Multi team was the best in Halo 3. Montage Clip City on Guardian crazy fun in multi team, pure chaos but fun. What I want out of a "social" playlist.

FTFY

It's the same principle they're applying to Halo 5. Them giving us less content is actually more content if you think about it. 

To be fair, he's talking about shareholders, not consumers, since the companies have no obligation to provide any number of sales to the general public

If he's saying that by obscuring information from the game-playing public it will prevent their opinions from being further swayed by the metrics and avoid bad publicity...that is a nefarious plot to mask what's going on.

• Upvote (+1) 8

Wait a minute...

They didn't change the map/gametype weighting in Team Arena?

Oh my god.

I know. All they did is fix the glitching powerups. OMG. Why talk all that shit about weapon, sandbox, map, and playlist balancing if you're not going to release it with the update. At least tell us what you are doing and when it will be out.

I know. All they did is fix the glitching powerups. OMG. Why talk all that shit about weapon, sandbox, map, and playlist balancing if you're not going to release it with the update. At least tell us what you are doing and when it will be out.

Because it obviously wasn't ready but wanted to tell players that work for it is underway.

If he's saying that by obscuring information from the game-playing public it will prevent their opinions from being further swayed by the metrics and avoid bad publicity...that is a nefarious plot to mask what's going on.

that's clearly what's going on

the whole industry does it, the only people who lose are the consumers 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Hey duder.

One thing you have to keep in mind is that 99.5% of the Youtube channels that generate a meaningful amount of revenue (whether through Youtube directly or things like Patreon) are actually "big" productions with several team members. This should clue you in that trying to be a regular, impactful Youtube enterprise is actually a lot of work, and especially if you're going to ask for Patrons, there would have to be some kind of incentive as @ said. Your channel's theme is also...tragically...a fairly niche draw, unless you were to seriously expand your coverage to a wide variety of different games and slap a nice coat of paint on it, with you as a kind of verified gamer critic.

I'm a fairly busy man myself, and that is ultimately why I don't put out videos of this kind very often. Like you, I would never want to ask for money to do something that I just enjoy doing (it's why I don't have a BandCamp page for my music), so to be perfectly honest? If you have to decrease the amount of content you put out, it's not really the end of the world. Obviously viewers these days have severe attention problems, so if you're worried about your viewer count, maaaaaybe it's a legitimate concern? I personally have never been worried about that, but if you're trying to cultivate a following, that might be a wrench in the gears.

Yea I'll probably just hold off for now. I'd like to grow a following, but like you said it's tough to do it with the kind of stuff I do.

I just don't want to have to stop outright.

• Upvote (+1) 3