CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

Tempted to get A40s while playing Halo, yes or no?

Just get them.

• Upvote (+1) 1

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2016/03/30/how-the-coalition-became-gears-of-wars-new-home.aspx

This is how you transfer franchise from one Dev to another! Sure, I have no idea how Gears4 will turn out but listening to those two talk, hearing what has been done, I don't really have any doubts that Gears4 will be a great Grears experience that fits in with GoW1-3!

Ya, the coalition says all the right things.

They're like the opposite of 343.

Tempted to get A40s while playing Halo, yes or no?

Astro headsets are pretty overpriced for what they are. There are better headsets tbqh imho.

• Upvote (+1) 1

But who are you to talk? Legion is too dark mate.  :kappa:

Okay well to be fair, 1: I'm not a developer and don't have their tools, 2: My monitor's black balance makes dark blacks look like light grey so when I was forging it, it looked fine to me lmao it wasn't until I plugged in my flat screen I realized how dark it was, 3: I do have an updated brighter variant for matchmaking, and 4: Spartans glow in the dark in this game, doesn't matter how dark your map is.  Rather be too dark than blindingly light :)

• Upvote (+1) 1

Care to explain why you say no?

Nostalgia.

Is h5's biggest problem?

Nostalgia.

H5. The game that holds nothing about classic Halo sacred. The game that abandones many of halo's most fundemental pillars.

That games biggest problem is...nostalgia?

That's like saying a starving man's biggest issue is an overabundance of food.

• Upvote (+1) 4
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Nostalgia.

Is h5's biggest problem?

Nostalgia.

H5. The game that holds nothing about classic Halo sacred. The game that abandones many of halo's most fundemental pillars.

That games biggest problem is...nostalgia?

That's like saying a starving man's biggest issue is an overabundance of food.

Someone starving to death can die from an overunbandace of food though.

Nostalgia doesn't just conform to movement either. Large amounts of weapons in the sandbox also hurts shit. Imagine, I know its difficult, but imagine what Halo 5 would be like with only one SR on a map and maybe two rifles. Wouldn't that be so much better? But due to nostalgia we have. Carbine, BR,DMR, SMG, AR, Magnum. The biggest problem of Halo is always the need to bring everything from past iterations to the next game. I understand that you can't look past sprint but Halo 5 has bigger issues honestly.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Someone starving to death can die from an overunbandace of food though.

Nostalgia doesn't just conform to movement either. Large amounts of weapons in the sandbox also hurts shit. Imagine, I know its difficult, but imagine what Halo 5 would be like with only one SR on a map and maybe two rifles. Wouldn't that be so much better? But due to nostalgia we have. Carbine, BR,DMR, SMG, AR, Magnum. The biggest problem of Halo is always the need to bring everything from past iterations to the next game. I understand that you can't look past sprint but Halo 5 has bigger issues honestly.

What does having a bunch of weapons have to do with nostalgia? Having 8.4 millions weapons that do the same thing is yet another "modern fps" fad. Conformity is the problem with H5, not nostalgia.

The only good things about H5 are there due to nostalgia. Equal starts, weapon timers, weapons on maps, etc.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Please elaborate

Uniform movement speed.

Melding of combat and movement.

Utility spawn weapon.

I'd argue that these are three of the most important pillars of halo MP. H5 destroys all 3.

• Upvote (+1) 4
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Uniform movement speed.

Utility spawn weapon.

I'd argue that these are three of the most important pillars of halo MP. H5 destroys all 3.

1: The movement skill-gap is the number 1 thing Halo 5 has going for it. I've had people come into my streams and tell me that it looks like I'm playing a different game than them with the way I move around the map. This is the same way I felt when I watched Walshy and Strongside play back in H2 with their mastery of button glitches, and that is what made me fall in love with this game. I wanted to be good enough to play the game that they were playing. This is not something we should be throwing away just because it wasn't a core principle of the classic titles.

2: This already exists. One of the biggest differences between someone like Frosty or anyone else people talk about having good movement, is that they can make the same movement as someone else, but they will have their gun up for more of it and they will do it faster. Would it be better if there was less sprinting and less clambering? Yes, but we're already seeing less and less of it as people learn to better take advantage of the more advanced movement options we have.

3. Plainly I agree with this one. It sucks to fight a BR/SMG/Storm rifle off of your spawn knowing that they'll pretty much have to choke in order to lose. It's not as big of a problem as most people make it out to be, but I'd like to see it addressed. #Team4sk

• Upvote (+1) 8
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Uniform movement speed.

Utility spawn weapon.

Utility Spawn Weapon argument is completely invalid considering every single Halo game has had shitty vanilla settings. Plasma Pistol in CE, SMG in H2, AR in H3/Reach, Loadouts in H4. Even if you argue that we should be looking at competitive settings only, H5's Pistol is still competent.

I won't argue that uniform movement speed isn't important, but Sprint is hardly a damaging factor in H5 on its own, the "problem" exists in the chaining of abilities.

You'll also have to explain what you mean by that second point. If you are referring to not being able to use your weapon during movement, then thats just a "law" that has been worshipped without reason. Having all of these movement mechanics without a repercussion or tradeoff would be absurd.

You also can't pretend like those are the only pillars that Halo is built upon.

• Fair Starts
  • Map Control
  • Spawn Influence/Punishing Respawn
  • Individual Empowerment (H5 has a good strafe, fast kill times, and other tools to turn around gunfights)
  • Weapon Control (Static Power Weapons for Equal Opportunity)
  • Team Shooting (despite CE Master Race hating it, this is an important part of Halo's gameplay)

Could Halo 5 improve on tons of things? Of course, some of the things I listed above could still be improved, but acting like Halo 5 isn't a Halo game because of a ~5% Sprint movement increase is absurd, considering H4/Reach were far more damaging to the formula in their vanilla settings.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

If Halo 5 played like Halo I'd play it everyday, that's all the reasoning I personally need. Enjoy what you want though. 

Off topic: Who's watching this CSGO match, holy fuck it's amazing. Liquid bringing it to OT. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

If Halo 5 played like Halo I'd play it everyday, that's all the reasoning I personally need. Enjoy what you want though. 

Off topic: Who's watching this CSGO match, holy fuck it's amazing. Liquid bringing it to OT. 

I kinda like how H5 plays. I wouldn't be mad if they went back to the old feel though.

Currently shitting my pants in this second OT. Literally shitting my pants. 

1: The movement skill-gap is the number 1 thing Halo 5 has going for it. I've had people come into my streams and tell me that it looks like I'm playing a different game than them with the way I move around the map. This is the same way I felt when I watched Walshy and Strongside play back in H2 with their mastery of button glitches, and that is what made me fall in love with this game. I wanted to be good enough to play the game that they were playing. This is not something we should be throwing away just because it wasn't a core principle of the classic titles.

2: This already exists. One of the biggest differences between someone like Frosty or anyone else people talk about having good movement, is that they can make the same movement as someone else, but they will have their gun up for more of it and they will do it faster. Would it be better if there was less sprinting and less clambering? Yes, but we're already seeing less and less of it as people learn to better take advantage of the more advanced movement options we have.

3. Plainly I agree with this one. It sucks to fight a BR/SMG/Storm rifle off of your spawn knowing that they'll pretty much have to choke in order to lose. It's not as big of a problem as most people make it out to be, but I'd like to see it addressed. #Team4sk

1. That's your opinion. While I personally feel as though the movement is fun for the individual to engage in, overall it makes the game less fun. The pacing of the game is quite strange as the combination of these movement mechanics and Halo's long kill times makes for an awkward mix.

2. It doesn't exist. Map movement and combat are separated in h5. You literally cannot shoot while traversing a map. You have to do one or the other. A pillar of halo MP is the fact that anything you can do while not shooting(movement wise), you can do while shooting. So much of original trilogy Halo saw the player engaging in map movement whilst not even looking at where they where going. You could move around the map while engaging in combat. You could move and make jumps while looking in a different direction and engage in combat. In H5 so much of it requires you to not only give up the ability to shoot but literally look directly where you are going. 

• Upvote (+1) 8

Utility Spawn Weapon argument is completely invalid considering every single Halo game has had shitty vanilla settings. Plasma Pistol in CE, SMG in H2, AR in H3/Reach, Loadouts in H4. Even if you argue that we should be looking at competitive settings only, H5's Pistol is still competent.

I won't argue that uniform movement speed isn't important, but Sprint is hardly a damaging factor in H5 on its own, the "problem" exists in the chaining of abilities.

You'll also have to explain what you mean by that second point. If you are referring to not being able to use your weapon during movement, then thats just a "law" that has been worshipped without reason. Having all of these movement mechanics without a repercussion or tradeoff would be absurd.

You also can't pretend like those are the only pillars that Halo is built upon.

• Fair Starts
  • Map Control
  • Spawn Influence/Punishing Respawn
  • Individual Empowerment (H5 has a good strafe, fast kill times, and other tools to turn around gunfights)
  • Weapon Control (Static Power Weapons for Equal Opportunity)
  • Team Shooting (despite CE Master Race hating it, this is an important part of Halo's gameplay)

Could Halo 5 improve on tons of things? Of course, some of the things I listed above could still be improved, but acting like Halo 5 isn't a Halo game because of a ~5% Sprint movement increase is absurd, considering H4/Reach were far more damaging to the formula in their vanilla settings.

Utility weapon arguement is valid because unlike past Halo games, this one is not going to change. Vanilla is what we are always going to get. Vanilla is the comp setting and as such it can be directly compared to past comp settings.

You can see some explanation in regards to the other points in my post above.

Negged you because you put a lot of words in my mouth. I never said in the post you quoted that those are the only pillars or that H5 is not a halo game.

• Upvote (+1) 5

The most important tenets of Halo are recharging shields, two-weapon limit, and power items on map. 

Jesus. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

The most important tenets of Halo are recharging shields, two-weapon limit, and power items on map. 

Jesus. 

Nobody said  otherwise.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Thank you captain obvious. Nobody said anything otherwise.

Am I high right now or have words changed definitions overnight? 

• Upvote (+1) 3

Am I high right now or have words changed definitions overnight? 

Nobody said those are not the most core pillars of Halo. People have neglected to mention them. I would assume that that is simply due to them being so obvious that it goes without saying that baseline mechanics like that are core pillars.

Unless infinity doesn't think they are pillars of Halo.

Nobody said those are not the most core pillars of Halo. People have neglected to mention them. I would assume that that is simply due to them being so obvious that it goes without saying that baseline mechanics like that are core pillars.

Unless infinity doesn't think they are pillars of Halo.

You just listed three things that were not the three things that I said, and called them the most important tenets of Halo. 

• Upvote (+1) 4
  • Downvote (-1) 1