CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

It is definitely a step in the right direction, but this is definitely not where we should stop. There are so many more things that could be done to improve Halo and stopping now would be awful.

I am one of the biggest advocates for a good Halo game on this site, and you should know this.

I agree with Ryan W that this sort of Halo is the correct model to work on, and that Halo changing constantly hurts it in the long run especially with it's eSport focus.

Sort of derailing the conversation...

Just picked up the game, could someone give me the settings to re-create the aiming in the beta, or just give me some solid settings? I know that they're were posts before but I cannot find them for the life of me.

Thanks.

There isn't a way to make it feel like the beta, unfortunately, and 343 for some reason hasn't even once acknowledged that it continues to be such a huge issue.

I would recommend 5 acceleration 3 sens and, if your controller is in good/new condition, 0 deadzones both outer and inner. It'll still feel like crap, though.

There isn't a way to make it feel like the beta, unfortunately, and 343 for some reason hasn't even once acknowledged that it continues to be such a huge issue.

Ah. OK. Well, once the game installs I guess I'll figure it out.

Is it really that bad?

Is it really that bad?

Yes. :(

Aiming up close especially, you may notice.

I too enjoy passive gameplay and slow killing weapons

Its both

Slow? Okay

A halo game with sprint will never ever be a sweet spot..

Well that's never going and I'll be shocked if we ever see it go.

I am one of the biggest advocates for a good Halo game on this site, and you should know this.

I agree with Ryan W that this sort of Halo is the correct model to work on, and that Halo changing constantly hurts it in the long run especially with it's eSport focus.

Of course reinventing the wheel has effed up Halo and that's one of it's bigger problems. However, what about this game do you think they should be "keeping as a foundation"? Sprint? Thrusters? Weak starting weapon? The weapon balance? The 3 tier system? The aiming? And no I'm not being sarcastic I am genuinely asking what things about Halo 5 do you think should be used for however many titles they release?
  • Upvote (+1) 4

Is it really that bad?

If you are a cqc player this aiming system is gonna tear you a new one. I personally hate it with a burning passion and hope they fix it.
  • Upvote (+1) 2

Of course reinventing the wheel has effed up Halo and that's one of it's bigger problems. However, what about this game do you think they should be "keeping as a foundation"? Sprint? Thrusters? Weak starting weapon? The weapon balance? The 3 tier system? The aiming? And no I'm not being sarcastic I am genuinely asking what things about Halo 5 do you think should be used for however many titles they release?

Did you just glaze over the "work on" part?

You are talking to me like I am an idiot.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I have concluded that the new Deadlock is somehow actually worse than the previous one (reduced sun glare and aesthetics aside).

The new color is what bothers me the most about the map unfortunately. It probably doesn't bother a lot of people, but the constant changing of the orange color from bright to dark caused by the sun gives me motion sickness after playing for several minutes.

This entire game literally consists of playing against full parties while having teammates that are the shittiest Halo players known to man.

First game in BTB today and I'm playing a full party composed of all champions while my team has a couple diamonds and the rest are platinums. I know it's not technically ranked anymore, but it's still unwelcoming to have to play in that.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Did you just glaze over the "work on" part?

You are talking to me like I am an idiot.

I literally said I was just asking you what you thought was a good foundation. I specifically said I wasn't being sarcastic or anything. I want to know what about Halo 5 you believe is the right direction. I'm honestly not trying to be rude or demean you in any way man.

I literally said I was just asking you what you thought was a good foundation. I specifically said I wasn't being sarcastic or anything. I want to know what about Halo 5 you believe is the right direction. I'm honestly not trying to be rude or demean you in any way man.

The fuck you say about me you little bitch? 

The new color is what bothers me the most about the map unfortunately. It probably doesn't bother a lot of people, but the constant changing of the orange color from bright to dark caused by the sun gives me motion sickness after playing for several minutes.

First game in BTB today and I'm playing a full party composed of all champions while my team has a couple diamonds and the rest are platinums. I know it's not technically ranked anymore, but it's still unwelcoming to have to play in that.

Yea it's annoying in social but I can sorta get over that. But the fact that Team Arena (or any ranked list) doesn't have restrictions is mind blowing. They put all this effort into making a ranking system and Josh Holmes even says that they don't want to have lopsided matches, and they don't even match parties against parties. It's a lot harder for a team of random high level kids to stomp since they haven't played together before. Parties matching solo players sucks for anyone that wasn't close, fair, competitive matches.
  • Upvote (+1) 1

I guess I'm fortunate enough to not be bothered by that. That sounds really unpleasant. I mostly hate the way the map's design, plus the easy precision weapons everywhere (and now static spawns in slayer) leads to a game in which pretty much everyone is poking out from behind various piece of cover on their side of the map, waiting for people on the enemy team to peek out from behind their pieces of cover long enough to die. You can't move anywhere, because anyone with thumbs can melt you from across the map with, say, an H2 BR. And that's in a reasonably sweaty game with pretty equal teams. Imbalanced teams mostly just results in one side getting stuck inside their base, unable to move anywhere.

The default settings were the biggest 180 from a sequel in Halo history. We went from having full customization options for loadouts to equal starts and movement options. We went from having Ordnance Drops to Weapon Pads. Our primary and secondary weapons are the second strongest in the series, despite the Magnum's lack of efficiency at range. We fucking nerfed Sprint.

There is very little change needed to these settings for Halo 5 to be perfect. We just have to hope that 343 does the right thing for this weapon patch.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I think that has more to do with the lack of content than how the game plays

That's an assumption.

While I don't mind h5's gameplay it is still generic as hell and it's a massive departure from core Halo. This can be am issue when it comes to attracting casual and core players alike.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Well that's never going and I'll be shocked if we ever see it go.

Doesn't mean we should ever stop complaining about it.

• Upvote (+1) 6

Our primary weapon is the second strongest in the series.

Compared to their respective sandboxes the h5 pistol is the weakest primary precision weapons in any halo game.

Aspects of Halo 5 that I think should carry over into future games:

• Equal starts
  • Decent strafe
  • The ranking system
  • Guns that shoot straight
  • Static power weapon timers
  • Weapon nading
  • The eSports focus
  • Forge

However:

• The starting weapon can't properly compete with the sandbox
  • The strafe is heavily nullified by the aim-assist on anything not named the Magnum (especially without thrust)
  • Too many people are put in Onyx and there is no deranking or party retsrictions to ensure more fair games
  • Can't complain here
  • The weapon pad icons give away player positioning
  • Nading is restricted to weapon pads and stickies
  • 343 have complete control over the competitive scene and settings
  • No file browser or Infection to go with it

While there are definitely some good things about this game, a lot of those things seem to have some sort of catch to them.

• Upvote (+1) 7

Ultimately, it seems to me that notions of what "is Halo" are pretty arbitrary and it essentially comes down to "it doesn't sound like Marty wrote it." It seems like a meaningless statement to make, particularly if you still like the music (I can't say I liked most of H4's soundtrack, for example). I get the sentiment and I agree that it doesn't have exactly the same tone and has plenty more in common with modern film scores than the older ones did. However, the tone of the game itself is pretty different as well (for better or worse). There's plenty of variety and plenty of it very much is Halo, not to mention the live recording, as opposed to the very unnatural mixes in a lot of Marty's tracks. And we're going to use "cheesy" in comparison to classic Halo? lol. I can't think of a clearer of Kazuma "getting it" than Kamchatka, which you hear as soon as you start playing the game. I can't not think Halo when I hear it and I love Jinnouchi's use of polymeter (here and throughout the soundtrack).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9THCPPfiih4

As a side note, Tobin's Chaos Theory soundtrack is a favorite of mine.

Thats the thing, its too easy to say "oh its just a different composer". The thing about those other soundtracks is that the direction of narrative is set from the get go. In the same was you would listen to a track by Deadmau5 or Flume (im using well known examples here) and think "Hey, that sounds like Deadmau5/Flume", regardless of seeing knowing beforehand.

Maybe I haven't listened to enough of Kazuma's other works, but it doesn't have that uniqueness of style or consistency. I hear parts that sound like Halo, parts that sound really generic, and parts that sound like John Williams spilled his ink well. Too eclectic.

Edit: Kamchatka imo is one of the highlights of the ost, but i don't remember Marty using poly's much which is another difference in direction.

Enjoy your CD man I'm sure you'll get the most out of it.

Doesn't mean we should ever stop complaining about it.

You'd be wasting time but hey more power to you I guess

• Downvote (-1) 4

Sort of derailing the conversation...

Just picked up the game, could someone give me the settings to re-create the aiming in the beta, or just give me some solid settings? I know that they're were posts before but I cannot find them for the life of me.

Thanks.

You can't.

Most people just use 0 for their deadzones with 1-4 sens and variable look accelerations.

• Upvote (+1) 1