CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

Yea, but that could go into the next Bourne movie and I wouldn't find it out of place. The great thing about Marty's score was the mystery and just how different it was. 

I feel like the Crypt invokes just the same sense of mystery as On a Pale Horse, it just blends that mystery with music to fit the action which it is matched with.

Also if you want different then Warrior World is about as different as it gets:

Same with Covenant Prayers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-OdBvXAHnA

The Osiris Suite is also very, very good.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Yea, but that could go into the next Bourne movie and I wouldn't find it out of place. The great thing about Marty's score was the mystery and just how different it was.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1fPUejOTB8

I have my fair share of complaints about 343's Halo, but Kazuma's work is not among them. The next Bourne movie? Really? H4's OST, maybe.

I consider Marty's work to be a huge personal inspiration, but the original trilogy was mostly just CE's soundtrack extended, ODST was fantastic, and Reach was bland. Kazuma managed to revisit classic themes while adding plenty of his own and even managing to make some of Halo 4's styling work better. Would people prefer that it was basically just entirely remixes of H1 themes to stay "true" to the sound? So, the Halo 3 soundtrack?

• Upvote (+1) 2

I really don't think 343 wants to have those old school devs like Marty or Statan involved with their games at all, 343 has their own, new vision what Halo should be and having the actual creators of the original in their team will only create a difficult environment I guess

You said that people who blame 343 was childish. I told you that 343 was responsible for the screw ups they have done.

Nothing to do with marty at all

I said that blaming EVERYTHING on 343 was childish.

I mean, we have someone who has double the sarcasm and condescending power that resides in this forum, and everyone seems to love it. So whatever, I guess.

Gee, could it be that the standards are different between a random forum user and the head of Arena multiplayer?

• Upvote (+1) 5

I have my fair share of complaints about 343's Halo, but Kazuma's work is not among them. The next Bourne movie? Really? H4's OST, maybe.

I consider Marty's work to be a huge personal inspiration, but the original trilogy was mostly just CE's soundtrack extended, ODST was fantastic, and Reach was bland. Kazuma managed to revisit classic themes while adding plenty of his own and even managing to make some of Halo 4's styling work better. Would people prefer that it was basically just entirely remixes of H1 themes to stay "true" to the sound? So, the Halo 3 soundtrack?

It's not a complaint about the music, I really love the Bourne Soundtrack. I'm just saying it doesn't feel like Halo. 

Also, the Halo 3 soundtrack is amazing. 

I really don't think 343 wants to have those old school devs like Marty or Statan involved with their games at all, 343 has their own, new vision what Halo should be and having the actual creators of the original in their team will only create a difficult environment I guess

I think 343 pretty much had to force Staten to write Shadows of Intent.

I think 343 pretty much had to force Staten to write Shadows of Intent.

do you have any source to back that up?

Working on a game together and "ordering" a book from someone are two different things!

do you have any source to back that up?

Working on a game together and "ordering" a book from someone are two different things!

I believe Staten said that in one of his Tweets. Poor memory for the win.

Also Twitter isn't letting me check past Tweets so I can't fact check.

I believe Staten said that in one of his Tweets. Poor memory for the win.

Ok, I didn't know that but still, making a contract to write a book hardly involves a lot of teamwork, I have not read it yet but does it even play any where near the main story line?

I said that blaming EVERYTHING on 343 was childish.

And guess what, 343 are responsible for all screw up they have done and they deserve all the shit they get.

They get no sympathy from me.

Kazuma's work isn't Halo. If I was to put it bluntly, and unfairly, I would call it cliche. I'm not though.

What Society means by 'Bourne' is that it is a lot of ways typical with Hollywood movie soundtracks. I've heard more then enough "Cinematic sound pack" demos to know that Halo 5's soundtracks full of things that have already been done before. Of course it's an OST, but it's not a genuine Halo OST in the sense of storytelling or consistency. It's definitely more like Halo than Halo 4 though, which was also a great soundtrack miles away from what Halo has always been.

(lol the OSTs really suit the games then)

Two soundtracks which I've listened to in full that I think set a good precedent, which are both very different.

Skyrim OST by Jeremy Soule

TC Chaos Theory OST by Amon Tobin

Now if I got a degree in music composition I'd sound less like a complete wanker, but Halo 5's is just really cheesy compared to marty's stuff. It's like Halo meets CoD meets Star Wars, where little bits of each movement sound either really derivative of Halo stuff (like a string swell from 1 to flat 5), really typical rhythm loops you'd hear in a soundtrack sample pack, an ethnic woodwind instrument solo over a string chord like you'd hear in a typical war movie, or a really melodramatic orchestration pieces (In the same way star wars usually is). I still love it but it's just not Halo.

Arrangement wise its overall very different to a typical movie soundtrack though which I think's very distinguishable, like the Bourne Ultimatum OST for example.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Reach had an amazing soundtrack, it was far from bland. Reach went in a very different direction to the previous games and I think it suited the campaign super well, both the good and not so good.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Ok, I didn't know that but still, making a contract to write a book hardly involves a lot of teamwork, I have not read it yet but does it even play any where near the main story line?

No but its about Half Jaw. Which he wanted to write a story about anyhow.

All you need to know about 343 and sound is the how the H5 pistol and H4 BR sounded. It will correctly set your expectations real fast. Basically the actual quality of the audio will be high but they have trouble picking the actual sounds to correctly carry the emotion and setting

• Upvote (+1) 4

All you need to know about 343 and sound is the how the H5 pistol and H4 BR sounded. It will correctly set your expectations real fast. Basically the actual quality of the audio will be high but they have trouble picking the actual sounds to correctly carry the emotion and setting

As well as the audio being way too loud overall compared to past game, everything is squashed too much

I other news http://haloswallower.com/2016/03/29/forerunner-artifact-discovered-under-yet-another-goddamn-human-colony/

• Upvote (+1) 2

And guess what, 343 are responsible for all screw up they have done and they deserve all the shit they get.

They get no sympathy from me.

What screw ups would those be huh? Also the screw ups can't be based upon opinions such as art style or music. Also MCC was a huge fucking screw up so we can skip that one cause everyone already knows that one.

What screw ups would those be huh? Also the screw ups can't be based upon opinions such as art style or music. Also MCC was a huge fucking screw up so we can skip that one cause everyone already knows that one.

Every release except Halo 5. Playlist setup in every game they've released. We can get all into the subjectivity of whatever with Halo saying nothing is a screw up besides MCC but the players spoke for themselves by not playing.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Every release except Halo 5. Playlist setup in every game they've released. We can get all into the subjectivity of whatever with Halo saying nothing is a screw up besides MCC but the players spoke for themselves by not playing.

Halo 4s campaign was fucking top notch. I doubt that it would be a total screw up. The Spartan games were good twinstick shooters. Which also weren't even created by 343.

Kazuma's work isn't Halo. If I was to put it bluntly, and unfairly, I would call it cliche. I'm not though.

What Society means by 'Bourne' is that it is a lot of ways typical with Hollywood movie soundtracks. I've heard more then enough "Cinematic sound pack" demos to know that Halo 5's soundtracks full of things that have already been done before. Of course it's an OST, but it's not a genuine Halo OST in the sense of storytelling or consistency. It's definitely more like Halo than Halo 4 though, which was also a great soundtrack miles away from what Halo has always been.

(lol the OSTs really suit the games then)

Two soundtracks which I've listened to in full that I think set a good precedent, which are both very different.

Skyrim OST by Jeremy Soule

TC Chaos Theory OST by Amon Tobin

Now if I got a degree in music composition I'd sound less like a complete wanker, but Halo 5's is just really cheesy compared to marty's stuff. It's like Halo meets CoD meets Star Wars, where little bits of each movement sound either really derivative of Halo stuff (like a string swell from 1 to flat 5), really typical rhythm loops you'd hear in a soundtrack sample pack, an ethnic woodwind instrument solo over a string chord like you'd hear in a typical war movie, or a really melodramatic orchestration pieces (In the same way star wars usually is). I still love it but it's just not Halo.

Arrangement wise its overall very different to a typical movie soundtrack though which I think's very distinguishable, like the Bourne Ultimatum OST for example.

Ultimately, it seems to me that notions of what "is Halo" are pretty arbitrary and it essentially comes down to "it doesn't sound like Marty wrote it." It seems like a meaningless statement to make, particularly if you still like the music (I can't say I liked most of H4's soundtrack, for example). I get the sentiment and I agree that it doesn't have exactly the same tone and has plenty more in common with modern film scores than the older ones did. However, the tone of the game itself is pretty different as well (for better or worse). There's plenty of variety and plenty of it very much is Halo, not to mention the live recording, as opposed to the very unnatural mixes in a lot of Marty's tracks. And we're going to use "cheesy" in comparison to classic Halo? lol. I can't think of a clearer of Kazuma "getting it" than Kamchatka, which you hear as soon as you start playing the game. I can't not think Halo when I hear it and I love Jinnouchi's use of polymeter (here and throughout the soundtrack). 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9THCPPfiih4

As a side note, Tobin's Chaos Theory soundtrack is a favorite of mine.

Can anyone here see us getting a good map from 343 in the future?

Ya

In warzone lol