CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

Really? They have nothing to do for the story at this point? It better be pretty damn good then. And completely devoid of holes or flaws.

If 343 are working the same way as most other AAA studios, then most of the writing will have been complete for around a year, probably with a small team left to revise it. You can only build so much of the campaign without completing the narrative. What do you expect 343 to do with the writers they have left?

Anyway, Halo 5 beta.

I thought the fact that the Truth map being set during the Halo CE era was pretty cool. It also didn't impact the map in any way.

• Upvote (+1) 3

I've always felt Halo's sandbox has always had some pointless weapons in it. 

In Halo CE it was basically: 

Power Weapons: rockets, sniper, shotgun

Primary: pistol

Useless: AR, PR, Needler

In Halo 2/3:

Power Weapons: rockets, sniper, sword, laser, hammer, missile pod, beam rifle, flame thrower

Mid-Level: shotgun, mauler, brute shot

Primary: BR, Carbine, mauler

Useless: AR, magnum, spiker, needler, plasma pistol, plasma rifle, SMG, sentinel beam

So when playing AR starts essentially there were weapons you actively fought for (Power Weapons), weapons you'd pick up if you walked past it (Mid-Level), weapons you raced your team mates for at the start of the match(Primary) and weapons you ignored (Uselss). 

But in the Halo 5 beta that I've played so far it was this:

Power Weapons: Sniper, Sword

Primary: AR, BR, SMG, DMR, Magnum

I really hope it remains like this in the final game. I have a few reasons why I believe this simplified sandbox is best: 

• You aren't at a disadvantage if you don't get to BR first. You can find success with every across-the-map weapon you might find. 
  • No useless weapons
  • Makes every life more interesting. In older Halo's you either pick up the BR or a power weapon. In Halo 5 you can hold your own with any of the weapons so not every life/match will be the same. 

I obviously hate useless weapons on the map and also don't really like the distinction of power weapon and mid level power weapon that I felt Halo 2 introduced. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

In Halo 2/3:

Power Weapons: rockets, sniper, sword, laser, hammer, missile pod, beam rifle, flame thrower

Useless: AR, magnum, spiker, needler, plasma pistol, plasma rifle, SMG, sentinel beam

So when playing AR starts essentially there were weapons you actively fought for (Power Weapons), weapons you'd pick up if you walked past it (Mid-Level), weapons you raced your team mates for at the start of the match(Primary) and weapons you ignored (Uselss). 

I really hope it remains like this in the final game. I have a few reasons why I believe this simplified sandbox is best: 

• You aren't at a disadvantage if you don't get to BR first. You can find success with every across-the-map weapon you might find. 
  • No useless weapons
  • Makes every life more interesting. In older Halo's you either pick up the BR or a power weapon. In Halo 5 you can hold your own with any of the weapons so not every life/match will be the same. 

I obviously hate useless weapons on the map and also don't really like the distinction of power weapon and mid level power weapon that I felt Halo 2 introduced. 

Unfortunately, it won't. They'll add Covenant and Forerunner weapons. The Beta is just a small portion of the full game and they probably don't have all the guns tested and ready for the game atm seeing as it's still a year out. 

I mean, it's possible they have a small selection of different weapons for the different maps but it'd be a bit jarring having several different weapon combinations on maps. 

Just to ask - when/where did we get confirmation that this new Rocket Launcher design was replacing the old one?

I could see it being like the Prophet's Bane and Energy Sword - both are in the game and have different purposes/uses.

When 343 was livestreaming the beta the other day Josh Holmes answered a question regarding the rockets and he confirmed that the new design is replacing the classic dual tube design.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Oh wow it's much worse than I thought

Unless this is totally fixed and more importantly, fixed so that the current ADS = hipfire and not the other way around, there goes my purchase

This also eliminates all hope of a classic scope option as ADS is now shown to actually effect weapon accuracy significantly unlike what Holmes originally told us and then lied again and said it only effected automatics. If there ever was a time for a revolt, the time is now when they can still change things. If unlimited sprint and ADS make it into H5 as they are now, they will remain there for the rest of the series lifespan. Same thing happened with the RS series, oldschool community mostly quit once it abandoned its tactical shooter roots and went for a more MMS-style of game and the comp scene died because of it. No other community would accept this kind of BS shoved down our throats three games in a row after the community repeatedly tells them not to.

• Upvote (+1) 6

So what's with all of this talk about Flinch? It was confirmed to not be in the game, I haven't seen any real traces of it in any of the H5 gameplay that's been released or uploaded... yet, people are acting like it's still in the game.

All I've seen is some increased recoil to some of the weapons while firing, which obviously isn't the same thing... but I'm not sure if that's what people are talking about, or is there still a bit of the actual Flinch mechanic left-over in the Beta?

In Halo 2/3:

• No useless weapons

Plasma Rifle and AR were far from useless in CE. Agree that 2/3 had bad weapon balancing, but that was mostly due to dual-wielding. H5 seems to be going back to the CE model, especially if they stick with the tiers they listed:

Tier 1: AR, Pistol, BR. Utility mid-range weapons.

Tier 2: More situational. SMG, DMR, CE Plasma Rifle, Shotgun, Light Rifle, basically your sub-Power weapons. 

Tier 3: Rockets, Sniper, Sword, Hydra? 

So what's with all of this talk about Flinch? It was confirmed to not be in the game, I haven't seen any real traces of it in any of the H5 gameplay that's been released or uploaded... yet, people are acting like it's still in the game.

All I've seen is some increased recoil to some of the weapons while firing, which obviously isn't the same thing... but I'm not sure if that's what people are talking about, or is there still a bit of the actual Flinch mechanic left-over in the Beta?

@@Moa

When 343 was livestreaming the beta the other day Josh Holmes answered a question regarding the rockets and he confirmed that the new design is replacing the classic dual tube design.

Why?

Oh wait.. Let me guess. Let me guess..

Immersion!

I don't have a video but I can tell you - when you're getting shot, your aim is forced upwards and it is near impossible to bring it down again if you're constantly being shot.

It isn't as bad as flinch in Halo 4, but it is still there and it is god awful.

You think the team that is assigned the task of giving maps some connection to the lore are being given that job because 343 considers it an essential part of the game? Fuck off. I'll put money on that team being the same people who write the narrative for the story - they have nothing major to do for the story at this point, so you assign them another job to keep them busy. Basic resource management that every business on the planet does.

But hey, fuck 343 right?

It isn't hard to write a cohesive story line. I mean they made cortana go crazy. How hard was that?

Dude, you really need to...

I don't need anymore than that for map descriptions

• Upvote (+1) 1

Okay. Now I'm mad at something. 

Don't take our damn double barrel rocket launcher. That is iconic Halo right there. wtf

• Upvote (+1) 4

Definitely badass! This is just the Pre-Beta I can only imagine how awesome the actual game will be! I'm impressed with 343. It seems like they're getting superior by the day.

Confirmed that new rocket launcher looks like shit? This is bullshit. And just tested H2 BR, apparently spread stays the same scoped or unscoped - guess I was wrong. Smart scope is worse than sprint IMO. 

Okay. Now I'm mad at something.

Don't take our damn double barrel rocket launcher. That is iconic Halo right there. wtf

Are you not Immersed?

• Upvote (+1) 6

Isn't this how scoping has always worked? The cone of spread starts closer to the target? It's only an issue because scope has been added to automatics - it's not ADS.

No. Scoping doesn't actually decrease spread. It makes your opponent larger. That's what scoping does... 

• Upvote (+1) 8

Other than the fact that people are having issues with the Halo formula being changed from hip to ADS, I'm not sure I see an actual argument as to how it's detrimental to the game. While it does seem to create a pseudo-COD kind of game, the increase to accuracy whether through actual mechanical changes or the introduction of scoping still instigates higher accuracy > higher percentage of hitting where you're aiming > higher reflexive skill gap > less random outcome.

Basically what I'm saying is that as a core argument, the idea of whether or not ADS (or SS, whatever floats your boat) is inherently bad because it nerfs hip fire is flawed. If your base movement speed is the same and all mechanics react the same way, with the only difference being that one has better spread, then essentially what should happen is a meta of constantly being scoped in, which in turn RAISES the skill gap through less random outcomes. The only difference is you get a different graphic. Literally, all that changes is you see some metal shit at the bottom of the screen instead of open space. 

Which gets me to the last bit. I actually hate smart scope. I think it copies, it's honestly super ugly and distracting, and its just a stupid idea to have all weapons zoom in the same weird fashion. I agree that the old way of doing it trumped whatever hybrid this stuff is, and I agree that if something isn't broken then don't fix it.

But really guys, the idea that ADS/SS is flawed because it nerfs hipfire is dumb. Find other reasons to rag on something you don't like, don't just come up with silly core arguments to get rid of something CoD based. But yeah, ADS/SS should go. Honestly, just cuz. 

• Downvote (-1) 7