CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

"Situations where your pistol is inferior"

Thats what we're trying to avoid.

And how does it make the game boring? Would you rather redundant weaponry that adds nothing to the game?

killing or getting killed by the same weapon over and over is boring to me. Different weapons different playstyles.

killing or getting killed by the same weapon over and over is boring to me. Different weapons different playstyles.

Halo 5's weapons are grossly redundant and the game already operates around map pickups. There is no playstyle differentiation to be had there.

But the weapons all provide a very similar gameplay experience.

If you need multiple weapons (beyond the usual sniper, rockets, shotgun and other random weapons the original trilogy had) in play to be entertained Halo is just not the game for you.

Try COD or Destiny.

• Upvote (+1) 4
  • Downvote (-1) 4

Halo 5's weapons are grossly redundant and the game already operates around map pickups. There is no playstyle differentiation to be had there.

As someone who plays this game daily at a somewhat appreciable high level, the bolded is just flat out wrong. I'm not saying there isn't some overlap, but to say there is no play style differentiation is completely unfair.

• Upvote (+1) 1

But that IS the problem. The pistol is inferior in practically all scenarios. A utility weapon empowers a player. You shouldn't feel weak and cautious because you have your spawn weapon.

I think you are overexaggerating a bit

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

rzvEX6N.png

PEOPLE ARE ACTUALLY BIDDING.

Only 2 people and the bids are really close to each other. I'm calling bullshit that this is legitimate. And if it is I hope someone from 343 buys it to find out who is actually selling it and disband the company.

• Upvote (+1) 1

S

And yes im looking on Halo as a video game because i never played other Halos. But i played league of legends in high elo and im an onyx (low onyx area) player in team arena and slayer and SR 120. I think i can judge balance situations in generell to a certain degree.

And this is a problem, lots of people have...they play LOL or CoD, try out Halo 5 (and do good sometime) and all the sudden they believe they know about Halo balancing, the thing is, there is nothing like a universal balance, knowing LOL and succeeding in H5 does not mean you can judge the balance situation in Halo properly.

Just look at soccer-football, one game requires you to carry a ball with you hands, the other requires you to kick the ball and touching it with you hands is no allowed for most situations/players. Both sports are "balanced" dispite beeing so different but if the FIFA would dicide to change the soccer rules to allow every player to carry the ball, would it still be balanced just because this is how balance works in football?

IMO H5 is in that situation, it used to have a unique style of gameplay (utility weapon sandbox) but 343 know thinks it is better to use this fancy 3-tiered system.

The system it self is pretty good balanced but if you consider that this is supposed to be a Halo game, it doesn't look that good anymore.

As someone who plays this game daily at a somewhat appreciable high level, the bolded is just flat out wrong. I'm not saying there isn't some overlap, but to say there is no play style differentiation is completely unfair.

Explain to me the vast, meaningful difference your game behavior when you're holding an SMG vs. when you're holding a storm rifle, or how you play when you're holding a carbine vs. when you're holding a BR.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Different weapons different playstyles.

that's not the case, it's more like "different weapons that all cater to 1-2 playstyles but are more powerfull and are putting people into an disadvantage if they don't have weapon X eventhough they have the same playstyle "

Only 2 people and the bids are really close to each other. I'm calling bullshit that this is legitimate. And if it is I hope someone from 343 buys it to find out who is actually selling it and disband the company.

Who cares.

Explain to me the vast, meaningful difference your game behavior when you're holding an SMG vs. when you're holding a storm rifle, or how you play when you're holding a carbine vs. when you're holding a BR.

I don't think anyone is arguing the redundancy in the quantity of pickups themselves, but even if they were slimmed down play styles would still exist.

I almost exclusively use the Pistol unless I deliberately have a reason to drop it, but I know people who are far less aggressive that will hunt for a BR off spawn.

Word. Look at VicX over someone like aPG, completely different styles to the game
  • Upvote (+1) 1

But hitting 4 shots with the pistol is more difficult than 4 with the BR correct? Or 5 with the DMR? Or whatever the autos do? The whole point is that the magnum is the more difficult weapon and it NEEDS to be the one used the most BECAUSE ITS THE MOST DIFFICULT.

By that logic Halo CE would have a bigger skill gap if the pistol was a 4sk.

IMO It's contextual. I think the BR is quite obviously stickier than the Pistol but its a bit more difficult to land all three shots of the burst against a fast moving target. 

Consistency over ease of use is my preference. I still understand your argument though.

Scoring a soccer goal with the same ball over and over again is boring.

Scoring a touchdown in football is boring because the ball is the same each time.

Aesthetic variety does not equal gameplay (ie meaningful) variety.

I don't think anyone is arguing the redundancy in the quantity of pickups themselves, but even if they were slimmed down play styles would still exist.

I almost exclusively use the Pistol unless I deliberately have a reason to drop it, but I know people who are far less aggressive that will hunt for a BR off spawn.

My point was that differentiated play styles are not built on H5's weapon system, or any Halo's weapon system for that matter.

Scoring a touchdown in football is boring because the ball is the same each time.

That could be the worst analogy of all time...

A better comparison would've been to say one Quarterback preferring on play over another may add diversity but having dozens of terrible ideas in your playbook isn't going to contribute to the depth of the game.

P.S. What is football

My point was that differentiated play styles are not built on H5's weapon system, or any Halo's weapon system for that matter.

But Halo 5's Weapon system helps reinforce and strengthen those play styles. Whether you encourage this or not is up to you, but disallowing individuals to expand their player role isn't good for a games depth.

But that also isn't to say that there should be dozens of options for them to pick from (redundant weapons); there just needs to be a middle ground that contributes to the games depth but maintains balance.

• Upvote (+1) 1

There aren't "play styles" in Halo, though. I guess you could argue what habits someone has, but Halo is situational and it demands different performances at different times. Its not a moba or rts where strategies are set in stone.

For example, playing with the pistol and DMR isn't different....one just has more range and ease of use You can effectively do everything with the dmr that you can with the pistol; in fact, there's no objective reason not to. Thats not playstyle or decision making, its forcing you to use a "better" weapon

Video games are an audiovisual medium, aesthetic variety can have a significant impact on a player's enjoyment.

That could be the worst analogy of all time...

A better comparison would've been to say one Quarterback preferring on play over another may add diversity but having dozens of terrible ideas in your playbook isn't going to contribute to the depth of the game.

P.S. What is football

But Halo 5's Weapon system helps reinforce and strengthen those play styles. Whether you encourage this or not is up to you, but disallowing individuals to expand their player role isn't good for a games depth.

But that also isn't to say that there should be dozens of options for them to pick from (redundant weapons); there just needs to be a middle ground that contributes to the games depth but maintains balance.

Uh. The original analogy was much more fitting than yours.

Having different looking weapons that provide very similar gameplay experiences doesn't provide meaningful gameplay variety.

We just said that the H5 sandbox is bursting at the seams with redundant weapons plus a shitty utility weapon, and is still based around on-map power items, and you're going to tell me that H5's sandbox encourages diverse playstyles?

• Upvote (+1) 2

peopke keep complaining that halo is a one gun game, yet we have a thousand weapons that fill each role, do you know what real uniqueness is? Having a sandbox with one utility weapon surrounded by a host of individually situational weapons planted on the map to pick up. Enough of this pistol/carbine/br/dmr/lr and smg/ar/sr/suppressor, all these guns roughly fit in their respective spheres and do largely the same job. That's not uniqueness, that's redundancy.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Video games are an audiovisual medium, aesthetic variety can have a significant impact on a player's enjoyment.

Then you're not debating the competitive merit of the game but rather your own aesthetic preferences.

Then you're not debating the competitive merit of the game but rather your own aesthetic preferences.

this is why there's no problem having a bunch of redundant weapons in campaign, you can have them there for lore reasons and it doesn't effect the competitive nature of the mp.