CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

Yeeeeaaaahhhhh you're gonna have to enlighten us on that one.

I think is obvious just on the fact that almost all bases are outside of the zoomed RRR, so the maps are played in sectors of mid range battles with an anchor blocking a specific spawn point

While i agree that good pistol users are not rewarded enough atm, I wouldnt say its because the pistol is too weak. It's because auto's are too strong.

I think we can agree that auto's are too strong across the board against every weapon, not just the pistol. What we dont agree on but I argue is true, is that the pistol is balanced against other weapons except auto's. If you buff the pistol you fuck up it's balance against every other weapon like the lightrifle, carbine and BR. Those are precision weapon map pickups and SHOULD be able to barely beat a pistol if both players start at the same time and hit every shot perfectly. Which they currently do.

If you buff the pistol, you turn this game into a one-gun game (+ power weapons). I know that's what a lot of you want cuz nostalgia and a 4sk "sounds right" and whatnot, but i dont think thats good for the balance or variety in the game. Since the balance issues are centered around auto's vs every other weapon, and not the pistol vs every other weapon. Starting with an auto nerf would be the way to go. Start with that, play with it for a while, then move on to other subtle changes as necessary if that's not enough. Going from a 5sk to a 4sk is a lot more drastic than i think a lot of people realize.

Even with a 4 shot pistol the autos would be insanely strong. The storm rifle makes you one shot in THREE BULLETS. And no, a 4sk pistol won't make it just pistols and power weapons. Not even close.
  • Upvote (+1) 1

Guy we just want to use more than 1 gun. I been using the BR for twelves fucking years. It gets boring.

yup, there's never been any cause to go out and get power weapons or anything. Nope, not once.

Guy we just want to use more than 1 gun. I been using the BR for twelves fucking years. It gets boring.

Lol and who's arguing to return to that?

Don't know how many times I have to repeat this but the other guns can be useful without having to completely dominate the pistol.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Changing the Magnum to a 4 shot and not changing anything else in the game would solve most of the problems people have regarding it. Its difficulty compared to the precision rifles' ease of use would be more justified, along with empowering individual strength. That being said, it is very unlikely that 343 will make a change like this. I honestly expect them to either weaken the automatics, or make the Magnum's fire-rate faster.

• Upvote (+1) 1

While i agree that good pistol users are not rewarded enough atm, I wouldnt say its because the pistol is too weak.  It's because auto's are too strong.

If you buff the pistol, you turn this game into a one-gun game (+ power weapons).  I know that's what a lot of you want cuz nostalgia and a 4sk "sounds right" and whatnot, but i dont think thats good for the balance or variety in the game. 

I agree with the first part, but its not just the autos, its all the riffles. If you have the BR on Truth you are god against the other pistol users.

One gun game > Rock, Paper, Scissors

Halo has basically always been a "one gun game" + power weapons. Why do we have to change that? This has nothing to do with "nostalgia". Its just how we think Halo should be. In Halo 5 we have a similair problem to Weapon Loadouts where everyone has different guns with positives and negatives and you cant control what you run into. When the game on Coliseum starts you will run into me without knowing if I have a Pistol/AR/BR/DMR or SMG.

Edit: with that being said I think if the other riffles are here they should be contestable like the DMR on Empire or the Storm Riffle on The Rig.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Try to play Arena using only the pistol. Then try to play using everything but the pistol. Try and tell me the pistol is a good weapon after that.

I agree with the first part, but its not just the autos, its all the riffles. If you have the BR on Truth you are god against the other pistol users.

Halo has basically always been a "one gun game" + power weapons. Why do we have to change that? This has nothing to do with "nostalgia". Its just how we think Halo should be. In Halo 5 we have a similair problem to Weapon Loadouts where everyone has different guns with positives and negatives and you cant control what you run into. When the game on Coliseum starts you will run into me without knowing if I have a Pistol/AR/BR/DMR or SMG.

Exactly. At it's core Halo has always been centered around 1 gun with NICHE map pickups and power weapons/ups. It's not that hard to see. Halo 5 is just so many awkward battles with people using different weapons. Pistol vs DMR, pistol vs BR, pistol vs LR, pistol vs Carbine, pistol vs AR, yea I can keep going for a while.

There's too much inconsistencies in the gunfights because theres too many precision weapons. Why cant they keep it simple.

I think that some aspects of the game are designed with 5 shot pistol in mid. Like map geometry

Unless the maps were purposefully designed to allow easy escape in almost all scenarios and you are in favor of that, what are you getting on about?

While i agree that good pistol users are not rewarded enough atm, I wouldnt say its because the pistol is too weak. It's because auto's are too strong.

I think we can agree that auto's are too strong across the board against every weapon, not just the pistol. What we dont agree on but I argue is true, is that the pistol is balanced against other weapons except auto's. If you buff the pistol you fuck up it's balance against every other weapon like the lightrifle, carbine and BR. Those are precision weapon map pickups and SHOULD be able to barely beat a pistol if both players start at the same time and hit every shot perfectly. Which they currently do.

If you buff the pistol, you turn this game into a one-gun game (+ power weapons). I know that's what a lot of you want cuz nostalgia and a 4sk "sounds right" and whatnot, but i dont think thats good for the balance or variety in the game. Since the balance issues are centered around auto's vs every other weapon, and not the pistol vs every other weapon. Starting with an auto nerf would be the way to go. Start with that, play with it for a while, then move on to other subtle changes as necessary if that's not enough. Going from a 5sk to a 4sk is a lot more drastic than i think a lot of people realize.

The pistol should be balanced equally against the BR, DMR, carbine, LR. That way the pistol actually has a niche instead of just being a straight downgrade to everything.

Changing the Magnum to a 4 shot and not changing anything else in the game would solve most of the problems people have regarding it. Its difficulty compared to the precision rifles' ease of use would be more justified, along with empowering individual strength. That being said, it is very unlikely that 343 will make a change like this. I honestly expect them to either weaken the automatics, or make the Magnum's fire-rate faster.

How can you say this, you haven't played a single 4 shot pistol game.

I think is obvious just on the fact that almost all bases are outside of the zoomed RRR, so the maps are played in sectors of mid range battles with an anchor blocking a specific spawn point

The pistol's RRR would be tiny on any Halo game.

You are making it sound like this is brain surgery, where making ANY adjustment will cause the game to just a implode into a black hole of unbalance (which a lot of people think the game is now anyway). So I'll ask you this: What do you honestly think would happen if we got a 4 shot pistol? What do you really think would happen to the game?
  • Upvote (+1) 1

The pistol's RRR would be tiny on any Halo game.

This pistol, without sprint on H3 or H2 maps would play amazing. I think you have forgotten how upscaled the maps are

This pistol, without sprint on H3 or H2 maps would play amazing. I think you have forgotten how upscaled the maps are

Good luck firing under sword, through long hall, from tower to tower, or from tower to shotgun on the Pit with the H5 pistol.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Ah, that's where you're wrong, my friend. I re-discovered GoldPro for Halo 5, where they turned the Magnum into a 4-shot while managing to keep the automatics in check. Unfortunately, they had to remove BRs and DMRs because they became 3shot and 4shot, but kept the Carbine and Lightrifle. That being said, the game played beautifully, even with the Spartan Abilities.

It made the game much more enjoyable.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Edit: with that being said I think if the other riffles are here they should be contestable like the DMR on Empire or the Storm Riffle on The Rig.

I agree with you that weapons which are strong on certain maps like the stormrifle on empire shoud be contestable but in general, whats wrong with rock paper scissors? It adds diversity to the gameplay and the game in general.

• Downvote (-1) 2

Now imagine the possibilities of change with a 4shot pistol, that would require incredible amount of play testing. And that should be 343 job.

Wouldn't be surprised if we got a six shot pistol after that. 

You are making it sound like this is brain surgery, where making ANY adjustment will cause the game to just a implode into a black hole of unbalance (which a lot of people think the game is now anyway). So I'll ask you this: What do you honestly think would happen if we got a 4 shot pistol? What do you really think would happen to the game?

I think the game would get easier. The skill gap would narrow, you would have to remove all precisiob rifles and decrease the aim assist of the pistol. But that is me trying to predict something im not sure how it would play out.
  • Downvote (-1) 2

I agree with you that weapons which are strong on certain maps like the stormrifle on empire shoud be contestable but in general, whats wrong with rock paper scissors? It adds diversity to the gameplay and the game in general.

Short answer: it's not Halo. Leave that to the other games that use that playstyle.

It would be the equivalent of CoD going the arena shooter route. CoD fans would be pissed as hell.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I think the game would get easier. The skill gap would narrow, you would have to remove all precisiob rifles and decrease the aim assist of the pistol. But that is me trying to predict something im not sure how it would play out.

Taking out the rifles would make the skill gap widen though. Making the most difficult weapon in the game the strongest is exactly how you widen a skill gap. It can't possibly shrink in relation to te auto fest we have now.