CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

no everyone here thinks this game is the devil (I would say this game is better than h2 tho tbh but I suck at video games so)

I think at its pinnacle moments (BR/No Radar, Good Maps, & BTB) H2 trumps it, but Halo 5 wipes the floor on overall gameplay/value.

Still can't decide which game is my favorite though. H2 surprisingly dragged me in when I played it for the first time in MCC

Bingo.

Grifball is a weird situation because of its hyper-loyal niche audience, but having it there permanently detracts from the other playlists' population. Rotating it will promote new players to hop in the playlist (I played it for the first weekend, but stopped playing as time went on). They can also use its uniqueness as a way to promote Social and/or Double XP.

To be completely blunt, not having Double RP for Grifball's first weekend was a colossal missed opportunity.

That's the thing. Even if it's odd, the playlist is unique and fills its own niche (just like snipers, infection, doubles, etc), and if it were to be removed, do you really think Grifball fans would jump into Team Arena or any other list?

I personally have a friend that will only play Grifball and Minigames, and in Reach I had a friend that'd mostly play Infection.

Not everything has to be ultra competitive though. Socially Halo 2 was fun on a bun.

I agree 100%.... I love halo 2 and i love halo 3

But both those games are ass competitively

Halo 3 did everything well except the shooting and the story. Halo 2 did everything well except the campaign level design.

Halo 3 did everything well except the shooting and the story. Halo 2 did everything well except the campaign level design.

Both game's sandboxes suck to, thats kinda important

I still love em regardless, i mean Halo 3's still my favorite game of all time despite te flaws because it changed my entire perceptionf of gaming. Met so many people, discovered so many things....those were some good times

• Upvote (+1) 2

I mean you're not setting your standards high comparing it to competitive h2 lol

Well I mean I'm just comparing it to other past halo games lol. I know h1 is nice and all but it's practically irrelevant in comparison to other Halo games with how different it is compared to 4v4 halo games.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Well I mean I'm just comparing it to other past halo games lol. I know h1 is nice and all but it's practically irrelevant in comparison to other Halo games with how different it is compared to 4v4 halo games.

True, but i think y'all forget Reach TU. Good ass 4v4, probably best in the series imo

They both had a much higher skill gap than Halo 5.  How are you even going to compare things comparatively? I don't see why one of them wouldn't be any less suited for competitive play than Halo 5. Any game can be played competitively. I mean, Halo 3 and Halo 2 built MLG. 

They both had a much higher skill gap then Halo 5.  How are you even going to compare things comparatively? I don't see why one of them wouldn't be any less suited for competitive play than Halo 5. Any game can be played competitively. I mean, Halo 3 and Halo 2 built MLG.

Because Halo 2 was uncontested (literally) when it brought up MLG, and Halo 3 has brand recognition when it had competition.

Just because they built a competitive scene doesn't make it competitive. Perfect example is Call of Duty.

I'd say H5 is more skillful than both those games by a narrow margin

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 2

They both had a much higher skill gap than Halo 5. How are you even going to compare things comparatively? I don't see why one of them wouldn't be any less suited for competitive play than Halo 5. Any game can be played competitively. I mean, Halo 3 and Halo 2 built MLG.

Wasn't Halo 3s skill gap revolving around who's shitty BR didn't drop bullets?
  • Upvote (+1) 1

Wasn't Halo 3s skill gap revolving around who's shitty BR didn't drop bullets?

That's an exaggeration. It did happen, but not nearly as often as people on here say it did.

I'm just going to throw this out there to spark a debate and/or give 343 a reminder:

• Team Arena & FFA should be the only Ranked Playlists
  • Slayer should be Social
  • Grifball should not be permanent
:lxthul:

I wouldn't remove Grifball, I'd just swap it out for a permanent social playlist with stuff like Fiesta, race and infection (assuming they get added).

That's the thing. Even if it's odd, the playlist is unique and fills its own niche (just like snipers, infection, doubles, etc), and if it were to be removed, do you really think Grifball fans would jump into Team Arena or any other list?

I personally have a friend that will only play Grifball and Minigames, and in Reach I had a friend that'd mostly play Infection.

Which is both an a good and a bad thing. Halo has proven that it can be a dozen things at once, but it shouldn't be setting out to prove that it wants to be all of those things simultaneously.

It's the same reason I believe having BTB and Warzone is a bad idea. Arena and Warzone was actually pulled off really well but we can't have a potential player base divided up even further by niche playlists.

I wouldn't say that. Being able to play with PC players doesn't deminise the Xbox Ones survivability. All it's doing is adding more population to games.

And it's optional. Playstation has done this before and recently with Rocket League. The only other game I can think of is Portal 2.

Most games probably won't even use it, especially shooters

I wouldn't remove Grifball, I'd just swap it out for a permanent social playlist with stuff like Fiesta, race and infection (assuming they get added).

Currently Grifball is being treated as a permanent playlist (we have Social Snipers AND Grifball).

I'm not arguing that there shouldn't be a permanent rotational Social, there definitely should be.

Because Halo 2 was uncontested (literally) when it brought up MLG, and Halo 3 has brand recognition when it had competition.

Just because they built a competitive scene doesn't make it competitive. Perfect example is Call of Duty.

I'd say H5 is more skillful than both those games by a narrow margin

Call of duty is competitive. A game isn't competitive or not. If the game has big fanbase the game will be played competitively. People will compete in when hey think there is a big gain in winning. Poker, Card games, are random but because many things do play a role in defining whether a game is competitive or not, they definitely are. 

Except Halo 5 does not have a big skill gap. You can compare weapons to weapons, and such then maybe Halo 5 will rise in some areas but overall no. There are too many crutches in Halo 5 too make it a high skill gaped game. High aim assist + low kill times makes for a terrible combination, low strafe, small spartan models combined with Fov that makes it so you don't have to move your big cross air most of the time, skill jumps that takes no practice, you are told when the weapons spawn, and so on and so on. There are much more to a game than comparing the BR to the Pistol for example, which beginners often do.

I heard a lot players say that you require more teamwork in Reach than the other games, and of course you do because the game has smaller skill gap so each player can't do as much on their own. It's the same for Halo 5.

I mean I have never seen someone discuss Halo 5's fov, and people generally don't understand that the more time YOU have someone on your screen, and smaller they become, the easier it is to shoot them. In real life things would be different of course but not in a game, where you hit where you aim.

• Upvote (+1) 2

And it's optional. Playstation has done this before and recently with Rocket League. The only other game I can think of is Portal 2.

Most games probably won't even use it, especially shooters

I can see MMOs doing it though. Like ESO or Neverwinter.

I think at its pinnacle moments (BR/No Radar, Good Maps, & BTB) H2 trumps it, but Halo 5 wipes the floor on overall gameplay/value.

Still can't decide which game is my favorite though. H2 surprisingly dragged me in when I played it for the first time in MCC

Eh I'll take the cons of h5 if I means I have static weapon spawns. Say what you want about h5 but the game at the highest level is collapses and not set up heavy (in contrary to AM players who go far too set up in this game). CLG even talked about how they're not set up heavy and always put the pressure on. Then look at h2 with how the weapons spawned and how maps were very set up oriented.

I guess there isn't much of a reason to argue which game is the most competitive as it's been going on forever. I do value games that have players give the same information and is fair to both sides of a pvp game. It requires players to move in a faster pace and you have to be thinking constantly. H5 is all spacing and collapses and H5 has you thinking and playing a lot faster than most Halos and even h2 imo. H2 you can control a pace of the match by having a Pw and knowing when the best time to push is while the other team wouldn't know.

Also I'm biased because I really just don't like h2

Have you guys realized Halo 5 is the best Halo since 2007 yet?

Yes. But thats really not saying much.

True, but i think y'all forget Reach TU. Good ass 4v4, probably best in the series imo

Reach was dope I agree, but tsp dislikes it and was more discussing his preferences :P

I'm just going to throw this out there to spark a debate and/or give 343 a reminder:

• Team Arena & FFA should be the only Ranked Playlists
  • Slayer should be Social
  • Grifball should not be permanent
:lxthul:

Especially since they added commendations for both grifball and assault, the two should rotate.

• Upvote (+1) 1

So after not playing since November, I decided to play. It was alright, but OMG can we get something done about all the auto spam? Especially the fucking storm rifles?! There's like 2-3 on every map and they're always spawning. At this very moment the storm rifle alone is killing my experience after all these months, can we please get rid of autos in Team Arena?! 

No new weapon skins for Worlds? Lame.

Especially since they added commendations for both grifball and assault, the two should rotate.

in-game commendations?