CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

Well no because that is better than the Br so it stops being a utility weapon at that point lol. Least Ive found it to be.

I'm not talking about H5's poor attempt of a HCE pistol, I thought we were talking about the OG pistol and the HCE sandbox in which the pistol worked great as a utility weapon

how's everone feeling about the FOV? I think this is not nearly enough criticized as it should be, the FOV is just way too narrow, especially with stuff like dash, thrust and the overall focus on CQB fights..

You're just looking for stuff to complain about. 

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 8

Your definition isn't wrong but your spectrum is.

The H1 pistol is only the best at medium range...but the difference between H5 and H1 is that you need thumbs to use the power/niche weapons in H1.

In H5, you don't.

Never thought of it like that. so to attain perfect balance how would you balance TTK between say the AR and Magnum H5 basic versions.

Never thought of it like that. so to attain perfect balance how would you balance TTK between say the AR and Magnum H5 basic versions.

Reduce the magnums TTK to 4 shot kill, increase spread and reduce range of AR
  • Upvote (+1) 1

Reduce the magnums TTK to 4 shot kill, increase spread and reduce range of AR

Reduce the TTK on the magnum to 1 second? I would of just increased the spread on the AR if anything tbh especially on the ADS.

The pistol needs to at least be a 4-shot to let it compete against both the autos and the long-ranged weapons, if we're not going to touch anything else. Preferably it should get a zoom buff as well.

TLDR: I think to be a utility weapon it needs to be effective at all ranges yet it isn't the best at all ranges.

The difference is that in HCE, H2, H3 and Reach the only weapons better than the utility weapon were controllable power weapons. (Snipe at long, Rockets at mid, Shotgun at close and so on)

In H5 you have in addition to those power weapons, BRs, DMRs around the map that are just better than the Pistol. If you don't pick up the BR on Truth all the time you are going to be at a disadvantage all the time. If you don't pick up the Storm Riffle on Empire all the time, you are at a disadvantage in CQC all the time.

In older Halos you were never at a disadvantage at spawn with your utility weapon (besides horrible SMG/AR starts). Only against power weapons that spawn in 2-3 minutes and are controllable. Not against other riffles that are uncontrollable all around the map and spawn every 15 seconds.

• Upvote (+1) 7

The pistol needs to at least be a 4-shot to let it compete against both the autos and the long-ranged weapons, if we're not going to touch anything else. Preferably it should get a zoom buff as well.

Do you not think giving the AR increased spread especially when ADS maybe even remove that boost would help alleviate that?

Do you not think giving the AR increased spread especially when ADS maybe even remove that boost would help alleviate that?

The AR isn't the only weapon that the pistol struggles against. As @@Lambo said, it's not just the power weapons that dump on the pistol, it's almost all the tier-two weapons as well.

• Upvote (+1) 1

That would only help in the pistol vs AR relationship. There are still hordes of other weapons.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Bringing the pistol down to 1.1ish ttk(4sk with slightly slower rof) would be ideal imo.

That way there would be an actual balance between the pistol and the rifles instead of the rifles just being straight upgrades

Hardy mentioned something interesting in one of his webinars about balance.

He said something along the lines of: "You need to establish something fun about each weapon, and worry about balance later." What I got from that is that having a ton of different weapons all balanced against each other is lame. Everything lacks identity - there's isn't enough differentiation between some of the guns in Halo 5. CE did this very well, and less-knowledgeable players see this as unbalanced, but in reality I think most people don't have a solid understanding of what balance entails.

• Upvote (+1) 6

Absolutely love getting annihilated by the SMG. Now I remember why I traded this in before.

Someone finally mentioned it, but a personal pet peeve of mine is the usage of the word "utility" in the Halo lexicon.

Utility implies usefulness by definition. The Halo 5 Magnum IS useful. Having one off spawn is good because you can put damage on and fight people at decent ranges. Some may argue this, mostly based off of FFA experience which is almost exclusively a Power Weapon and Autofest at higher levels, but the fact remains that the Halo 5 Magnum is a utility weapon by definition. 

Whatever the Halo CE magnum is or the BR's of yore, they fall into a different category in regards to their respective sandbox design. There were no other precision weapons in Halo CE except for the Sniper. In Halo 2 and 3, any non-power weapon that could shoot straight was NEVER desired in any fashion (some can argue the carbine, but that's few and far between). 

The fact of the matter is that Halo is headed more towards a true Arena style sandbox balance, one where each weapon is useful and provides different bonuses for its use. The only issue with this is that the weapon placement is currently reflective of classic Halo when it should be more about fairness in getting those different Tier weapons.

I'll give some examples:

- An SMG spawning in Red/Blue base off spawn on Fathom is a bad weapon placement, better placement is the Storm Rifle in each of the treehouses on Fathom. They are each on the 50.

- The DMR on Empire is good weapon placement because it's placed on an exposed area but at the 50 so that teams can fight over it.

- Having a BR near your base off spawn in a powerful position isn't good design. A bad example of this is the Red/Blue BR on Coliseum. A better example is the BR placements on Eden, where they are at a vulnerable low position on the map and require you to give up a useful position to gain that weapon advantage (top cat).

The point that I'm trying to get at is that if this tiered system should continue, then the weapon placement needs to shift from classic Halo to a system that promotes the same sort of weapon conflicts as power weapons do. This generally would imply reducing the available weapons on map (something people have been asking for), while keeping the "everything is useful" sense of balance.

If we stay with the classic Halo weapon placement system, where plentiful rifles which are straight upgrades to the pistols and autos that crush the pistol are placed in non-contestable areas, then that's where this "everything is useful" type of balance falls short.

Personally (and I know I'm going to get flak for this...), I enjoy the usefulness of all the weapons in the current Halo sandbox and I don't look favorably upon the sandbox balance of H2/H3/Reach. Could some of them be more distinct? Yes they could. We could have things like the shock rifle in UT. But at the end of the day, I enjoy moving to a part of the map that I may have dropped down to and picking up a weapon that in other Halos I would have completely ignored.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Someone finally mentioned it, but a personal pet peeve of mine is the usage of the word "utility" in the Halo lexicon.

Utility implies usefulness by definition. The Halo 5 Magnum IS useful. Having one off spawn is good because you can put damage on and fight people at decent ranges. Some may argue this, mostly based off of FFA experience which is almost exclusively a Power Weapon and Autofest at higher levels, but the fact remains that the Halo 5 Magnum is a utility weapon by definition.

Whatever the Halo CE magnum is or the BR's of yore, they fall into a different category in regards to their respective sandbox design. There were no other precision weapons in Halo CE except for the Sniper. In Halo 2 and 3, any non-power weapon that could shoot straight was NEVER desired in any fashion (some can argue the carbine, but that's few and far between).

The fact of the matter is that Halo is headed more towards a true Arena style sandbox balance, one where each weapon is useful and provides different bonuses for its use. The only issue with this is that the weapon placement is currently reflective of classic Halo when it should be more about fairness in getting those different Tier weapons.

I'll give some examples:

- An SMG spawning in Red/Blue base off spawn on Fathom is a bad weapon placement, better placement is the Storm Rifle in each of the treehouses on Fathom. They are each on the 50.

- The DMR on Empire is good weapon placement because it's placed on an exposed area but at the 50 so that teams can fight over it.

- Having a BR near your base off spawn in a powerful position isn't good design. A bad example of this is the Red/Blue BR on Coliseum. A better example is the BR placements on Eden, where they are at a vulnerable low position on the map and require you to give up a useful position to gain that weapon advantage (top cat).

The point that I'm trying to get at is that if this tiered system should continue, then the weapon placement needs to shift from classic Halo to a system that promotes the same sort of weapon conflicts as power weapons do. This generally would imply reducing the available weapons on map (something people have been asking for), while keeping the "everything is useful" sense of balance.

If we stay with the classic Halo weapon placement system, where plentiful rifles which are straight upgrades to the pistols and autos that crush the pistol are placed in non-contestable areas, then that's where this "everything is useful" type of balance falls short.

Personally (and I know I'm going to get flak for this...), I enjoy the usefulness of all the weapons in the current Halo sandbox and I don't look favorably upon the sandbox balance of H2/H3/Reach. Could some of them be more distinct? Yes they could. We could have things like the shock rifle in UT. But at the end of the day, I enjoy moving to a part of the map that I may have dropped down to and picking up a weapon that in other Halos I would have completely ignored.

In true arena shooters you can hold more than 2 weapons at a time.

• Upvote (+1) 2

What better way to show your love for Halo esports than to wear it on your (armored) sleeve? In celebration of the tournament, anyone who watches the Finals broadcast – starting on Sunday at 4 p.m. PT on their Xbox One or Twitch – can get the Halo World Championship REQ Pack for free. This special HaloWC REQ Pack includes the all new “Ultra Rare” Challenger armor set and HaloWC 2016 emblem. Act fast as this is only available until 9 a.m. PT on Mar. 21.

Warzone Firefight is going to be revealed on the HWC Stream

I feel like I'm the only one who is totally not interested in this.
  • Upvote (+1) 2

I feel like I'm the only one who is totally not interested in this.

Never been a Firefight fan and I'm not into Warzone, so I'm with you on this one. But I do appreciate that 343 is bringing in a new playlists that people are excited for, it's just not for me.

Never been a Firefight fan and I'm not into Warzone, so I'm with you on this one. But I do appreciate that 343 is bringing in a new playlists that people are excited for, it's just not for me.

I liked ODST Firefight, but Reach's was pure trash IMO.  I'm at least interested to see what they have in store for a 12m firefight.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I don't mind busyness to a point, probably one of the few, but Achilles is just TERRIBLE for it. Another part that bothers me is the random "foil" elements on the body. Just. WHY. They don't match ANY color, nor do they take on the form of your secondary, so they stick out. The armor set, past the helmet is just gross.

This x 100. My favorite armor set right now (Venator Cestus) has this problem.