CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

I find it funny that people are just now coming around to the realisation that the pistol is shit when I knew that before the game even launched...

wasn't there a TB poll about the H5 starting weapon a few months before release with almost noone voting for a 5sk pistol but almost a 50:50 split between 4sk pistol and BR? but yeah, people are just starting to realize it :kappa:

• Upvote (+1) 2

I like the weapon balance for the most part, I think there's a few stand out aspects which need changing such as the SR and the ridiculously easy to use sniper. However, overall I think the balance is great, it's really refreshing to see more than one 'non power weapon' regularly being used.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I like the weapon balance for the most part, I think there's a few stand out aspects which need changing such as the SR and the ridiculously easy to use sniper. However, overall I think the balance is great, it's really refreshing to see more than one 'non power weapon' regularly being used.

and this is why we should get the pistol buffed and not the SR nerfed IMO

• Upvote (+1) 2

You know what shows that the "utility weapon" needs a buff? The fact that even professional players only use it for around 35-45% of their kills. What a utility weapon guys!

and this is why we should get the pistol buffed and not the SR nerfed IMO

Perhaps.

I would keep the SR TTK the same but make the projectiles slower and decrease the fire rate. I'd rather make it require a fair amount of skill outside of extreme close range than make it just another useless auto.

I'm not entirely sure how I'd buff the pistol, I don't think just making it a 4 shot would be ideal. That would make the BR essentially useless. I'd maybe slightly increase the fire rate and make the clip size larger.

But what people fail to realise is you CAN make other weapons more useful without making them super lethal.

For example, you could make the Storm Rifle better against overshield and nerf how much damage it does to regular shield, now it's still useful, not so lethal but keeps its niche in the sandbox because teams will want to make sure people don't use that against them when they have OS.

You could reduce the damage Assault Rifle does to health so it's used as a weapon to strip shields instead of finish kills.

On the other hand you could reduce the damage SMG does to shields but increase its health damage (assuming it doesn't already do a lot of health damage, I haven't checked) making it a melee then shoot combo weapon, the pistol being a 4sk (2shot beat down) would still have a chance to beat this if say someone was camping around the corner ready to use it, if the pistol user doesn't choke and instinctively melee the person back then they could pull off the 2shot beat down.

Adjust aim assist and magnetism on all rifles appropriately so they're used in niche situations instead of to dominate the pistol outside of its range.

Those are JUST ideas, there's plenty of possibilities on how to make a weapon useful without being overly powerful.

Perhaps.

I would keep the SR TTK the same but make the projectiles slower and decrease the fire rate. I'd rather make it require a fair amount of skill outside of extreme close range than make it just another useless auto.

I'm not entirely sure how I'd buff the pistol, I don't think just making it a 4 shot would be ideal. That would make the BR essentially useless. I'd maybe slightly increase the fire rate and make the clip size larger.

that's why I said I wouldn't nerf the SR, I wouldn't mind having slower bullets though

how would a 4sk pistol make the BR useless? BR still has a higher RRR and more magnetism which make it easier to use, pistol-DMR are in the same place and I don't see anymone complaining about the DMR beeing useless?

Are the servers being crap for any one else?

Searching solo Plat6 in Breakout and I can't find games or I get one every 10 minutes. (Unable to match)

I'm not usually on this early, 9AM EST, so maybe there are less players on? I doubt it though.

One thing I'd be curious to hear their thoughts on is the fact that we see games increasingly focusing around 'achievements' (for lack of a better word).  They dangle a carrot in front of our face (REQ's and ranks are good examples of this in Halo) hoping well keep running after it, while seemingly ignoring (at least AAA games) the old school approach of making a simple but addictive core experience.  Why do developers take that approach?  What is it about Halo (especially the first 3) that hooked people on it?  How does Halo get 'that thing' back (assuming they agree it's been lost)?

Yeah, this. I think a better way to articulate it would be a "progression-based" experience rather than a "skill-based" experience. New games don't punish players for poor performance, but rather still find a way to reward them. It's the age-old debate of how much influence marketing should have on the fundamental design of a game.

For example, the ultimate test of skill in an FPS is generally considered to be Quake. In Quake there are no REQ packs, or XP points, or unlocks. The skill gap is massive. Players eat shit for months or years until they get a good grasp on how the game is played. It's very punishing, which turns away a lot of gamers (read: sales). It's something that I suspect has been culminating ever since Halo 2, although to a lesser extent. The removal of most predictable/exploitable elements from the game is evidence of this. The skill gap is reduced, smoothing out the learning curve and making it more accessible to new players (read: sales).

Hardy mentioned in one of his webinars that he intentionally distanced himself from Halo 2's multiplayer development. I believe this is the reason why.

It's the same reason that a lot of people dismiss CE's game mechanics as outdated. This is only because modern developers have moved away from this approach in the interest of acquiring a wider audience. And maybe even to sell sequels to their game. I mean, who's going to buy the sequel when they haven't even mastered the first game?

• Upvote (+1) 5

how's everone feeling about the FOV? I think this is not nearly enough criticized as it should be, the FOV is just way too narrow, especially with stuff like dash, thrust and the overall focus on CQB fights..

• Upvote (+1) 1

I like the balance for the most part, but the Pistol needs to be a 4 shot, sniper to be harder to use, Frod shouldnt be in MP and I really wish 343 didnt feel the need to include the BR and DMR in H5.

Overall though I like how most weapons are actually useable for once.

https://www.reddit.com/r/halo/comments/4acyor/urban_is_broken_fireteams_are_now_blocking_spawns/

Players are able to fully block spawns on Urban, preventing one team from ever actually spawning into a match.

I see a great deal of play testing was done on this map.

I mean, Urban is the most poorly designed map of them all. Defenders are the only ones that can get on the roof and enemies literally spawn right in front of you. And that's if you play normal. This is the same map that allows you to force spawn everyone in one spot (like the bitch ass farmers have shown) and now you can just force people to not spawn? Like what? And I thought Array was effed up.

Halo 5:

Play bad and have good teammates.

Play good and have bad teammates.

Happens to me all the time and lose either way.

Halo 5:

Halo 5:

try to play FFA because fuck TO4's

find no games

Play Battlefront

works all the time :simms:

• Upvote (+1) 2

Halo 5:

Seems to be the case 50% of the time. Yesterday was probably the only day I went all games positive (played about 6) and teammates would let me down majority. I suppose for a playlist like team arena though its just an element you need to be prepared for if running solo.

I play awful most of the time though so i come along in the second statistic. You are most welcome for the loss of your CSR! :D

I think we've established that 343 simply does not play test their maps, every fucking one released post launch and certain ones AT launch have had glaring issues that maybe an hour of testing could've fixed.

I think we've established that 343 simply does not play test their maps, every fucking one released post launch and certain ones AT launch have had glaring issues that maybe an hour of testing could've fixed.

Yeah but they're free!

Are the servers being crap for any one else?

Searching solo Plat6 in Breakout and I can't find games or I get one every 10 minutes. (Unable to match)

I'm not usually on this early, 9AM EST, so maybe there are less players on? I doubt it though.

Early morning and searching Breakout one of the lowest population playlist

But hey, at least they patched slide boosting! All the other real issues we've had since day 1? Yea those are still there. I always find that so weird. They patch out things they don't like but always take forever to fix the actual problems. Hell, in MCC they added quit bans BEFORE they fixed random drops and unbalanced teams. I don't really expect much to change tbh. Halo 5 is gonna have a tough time maintaining relevancy for 3 years.

The insanity that is the autos.

Underpowered pistol and the weird two tiers of precision weapons.

Literally everything about the sniper

Only one or two autos i would say or OP one being the storm,

pistol underpowered?. Sorry but pfft  that is just rubbish Its a shot 5 kill, if they made it 4 shot or 3 shot there would be literally no need in turning to other weapons it can function reasonably well in most areas that is the good definition i would of thought of a utility weapon. The normal AR is fine maybe a tweak to its ttk make it equal to or lower than a br but you would have to increase its range. The sniper i can't argue about as its obviously got to much magnetism involved. Also just pointing out the Ar TTK is based upon chance really and getting a headshot with it if you don't the TTK can be longer. I rarely use the Ar but thats due to my love for precision shooting, But i do not think the AR is unbalanced nor the smg. I am referring to basic AR type because the variants within Warzone can get crazy.