CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

Intriguing. 

I don't know how much FFA you've played over the years, but if you've played a good chunk of it you'll see that it plays much better with a decent radar.  A perfect example is still available in Reach.  Most games have a radar, but sometimes the Slayer Pro option comes up on Countdown, and it doesn't have one.  It plays like total horse shit.  Constantly spinning around every time you hear a sprint noise (ie: always) in fear of being assassinated.  There are just so many smart FFA plays that you can't make without a radar.

• Upvote (+1) 1

An "always on" radar would improve FFA on maps like that immensely though.

Food for thought but would an always-on Radar be an improvement from what we have currently? Has some benefits but could also introduce new problems.

inb4 just remove it

I'm not. Been here for quite a while. Why do you ask?

Im just pulling your leg about not knowing MLG used to do FFAs. Its actually how some of the better/known pros first got their name out there.

Im just pulling your leg about not knowing MLG used to do FFAs. Its actually how some of the better/known pros first got their name out there.

Elumnite did very well in the H2 FFAs, thats how he got well known. 

We could use more FFAs to get some more new people known.

Food for thought but would an always-on Radar be an improvement from what we have currently? Has some benefits but could also introduce new problems.

inb4 just remove it

For FFA?  Yes.  Because our current version usually doesn't give a player any time to react to an enemy closing in from behind, but it does greatly benefit a player watching an approach (Fathom Treehouses).  An always on radar would allow aggressive players the same information the camper has.  I still would prefer a bigger classic radar though.

For FFA?  Yes.  Because our current version usually doesn't give a player any time to react to an enemy closing in from behind, but it does greatly benefit a player watching an approach (Fathom Treehouses).  An always on radar would allow aggressive players the same information the camper has.  I still would prefer a bigger classic radar though.

Referring to team play, actually

Referring to team play

In that case, no.  The whole reason we don't want radar in team games is because it gives you information you don't deserve.  Players should be able to use their teammates positions, communication, and spawn knowledge to deduce where enemies are likely to be (something you can't do in FFA).  An always on radar would exacerbate the problem we currently have.  Yes, it would allow you to handle corner campers better, but far more often it would give you undeserved information and ruin otherwise good flanks.  

A good example of when this would be bad: when you're in your base on Coliseum and an enemy moves to your BR.  You don't deserve to just have the game tell you he's there.

In that case, no.  The whole reason we don't want radar in team games is because it gives you information you don't deserve.

Well two things.

1. I don't believe that is the main reason we don't approve of radar. It is information that promotes passive play more so than offensive play. More offensive incentives, the better the competitive game (in most cases)
  2. What constitutes information that the player deserves? One could argue that flanks could be devalued just as much by a footstep audio cue as a dot approaching on radar, but thats just one example.

Obviously would rather it just removed but I'm playing devil's advocate for the situation in which it must stay.

Wake up to hear that three top H5 MP guys left 343 to form their own company. 

Interested to see what that means for Halo 6, especially since it is so early in development. 

Mmmmmm, I see. Interesting to note. I've been going back in terms of MLG events, so I may encounter FFA video's soon.

I don't know how much FFA you've played over the years, but if you've played a good chunk of it you'll see that it plays much better with a decent radar.  

I've played quite a bit. Was one of my favorite gametypes, pre Halo 5. I mean, with, or without radar, I didn't notice much, past how much more aggressively I played and was able to play, on top of how much more "in control" I felt. 

Unrelated: @@iEclipseeee I'm thinking of participating in the 1v1 tournament tomorrow, once more. Did you wanna actually 1v1 sometime tomorrow, as practice? I mean, that's also assuming you're A.) In the tourney as well, and B.) Not busy in the times I'm not busy. Entirely fine if you can't, though. 

Interested to see what that means for Halo 6, especially since it is so early in development. 

Hopefully removal of gimmicky abilities that add nothing to the actual game.

• Upvote (+1) 2

If you have an extra tin foil hat, I'm a size medium.

Attributing all of Halo 5's financial/success shortcomings to multiplayer and Kevin Franklin is a bit crazy not only because he is one of many, many people who have input on the game's direction, but also because there are tons of other factors – franchise fatigue, a terrible marketing-narrative alignment, etc.

And HCS is growing faster than it ever has so I'd bite your tongue for a bit until our eSport is at least a few years old, then we can make judgments on its worth as an investment

What Eagle has been saying is one of the least "tin foil hat" worthy theories on this site, ever. 

If normal, everyday business practices are all tin foil hat theories then yea, put on the hat. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

No sprint? :weback:

I am cautiously optimistic again....Kevin Franklin is a big part of Halo 4 and 5's questionable mechanics and modes and I hope shit goes well for him working on his own games, but maybe Halo can actually have a chance at being more classic

Like seriously....their priorities must be shifting in-house because of this. We shall see

• Upvote (+1) 8

Well two things.

• I don't believe that is the main reason we don't approve of radar. It is information that promotes passive play more so than offensive play. More offensive incentives, the better the competitive game (in most cases)
  • What constitutes information that the player deserves? One could argue that flanks could be devalued just as much by a footstep audio cue as a dot approaching on radar, but thats just one example.
Obviously would rather it just removed but I'm playing devil's advocate for the situation in which it must stay.
Information on your opponent, be it where they are or what weapon they're holding should be earned at all times; that should be the standard at all times.

Anything that gives that away without you having to see them needs to go. Footsteps, weapon switching, reloads.

The only sounds or cues that should stay in besides your actual sight are risk vs reward cues, i.e quick camo.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Interested to see what that means for Halo 6, especially since it is so early in development

A blessing?

• Upvote (+1) 1

Question. Can people think me up a gamertag to use that has "Savery" in it? I want to change from RHS Savery to something else and I can't think of shit.

Question. Can people think me up a gamertag to use that has "Savery" in it? I want to change from RHS Savery to something else and I can't think of shit.

"Slavery"?  :kappa:

What did RHS stand for, and what could you tell me about yourself? A gamertag should be an extension of yourself, may as well find words to suit "Savery".

Obsolete Savery

Taste the Savery

I'm bad at this

No sprint? :weback:

I am cautiously optimistic again....Kevin Franklin is a big part of Halo 4 and 5's questionable mechanics and modes and I hope shit goes well for him working on his own games, but maybe Halo can actually have a chance at being more classic

Like seriously....their priorities must be shifting in-house because of this. We shall see

So...:weback:?

What did RHS stand for, and what could you tell me about yourself? A gamertag should be an extension of yourself, may as well find words to suit "Savery".

It used to be an old clan I was a part of back in 2013 (Renegade Hit Squad).

I'm terrible at talking about myself. Like if teachers tried to get me to in class I wouldn't talk about much and write only a paragraph.

I'm terrible at talking about myself. Like if teachers tried to get me to in class I wouldn't talk about much and write only a paragraph.

Could go with "SweetAndSavery". XP or "YourSavery" as a play on "Your Savior". Just spitballing.

That sounds intimdating as fuck