CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

Wait...If the top multiplayer designers of halo 5 leave, will 343 start hiring the beyond company to design halo 6's multiplayer? :kappa:

• Upvote (+1) 1

"Former" Multiplayer Design Director Halo 5 Guardians

I'm not going to try to be nice on this one. This is a great move by 343. He hurt the series in large ways. His direction of multiplayer was nothing but step backs. And don't forget that he's the one who presented this image at one of his presentations. Holmes actually did, so we still have the creator of this image at 343...

h2MTcl9.png

Of course I wish him in the best of luck in terms of life and well-being but in terms of how I think of him as a game developer, I will honestly pray that he stays from any series that I hold dear. I'm sure a lot of people are going to be thanking him as he leaves, but I'm glad he's gone. He's been making his own game since he's been working at Microsoft, but now he doesn't have those annoying Halo fans pestering him, so I'm sure he'll be happier at First Strike Games.

• Upvote (+1) 10
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I'm not going to try to be nice on this one. This is a great move by 343. He hurt the series in large ways. His direction of multiplayer was nothing but step backs. And don't forget that he's the one who presented this image at one of his presentations.

Of course I wish him in the best of luck in terms of life and well-being but in terms of how I think of him as a game developer, I will honestly pray that he stays from any series that I hold dear. Gears of War and Halo are enough victims. I'm sure a lot of people are going to be thanking him as he leaves, but I'm glad he's gone. He's been making his own game since he's been working at Microsoft, but now he doesn't have those annoying Halo/GoW fans pestering him, so I'm sure he'll be happier at First Strike Games.

Literally so much about this post is incorrect.

It wasn't a 'move by 343', it was his own decision.

He didn't work on Gears.

He wasn't the one who presented the Wheelchair image, Holmes was.

It wasn't a 'move by 343', its his own decision.

He didn't work on Gears.

I'll admit being wrong on the image, but lol, c'mon. "His own decision". Yeah, Balmer and Mattrick left at their own accord too, right? Microsoft, along with every other large company, always gives them the chance to "resign" before a termination. It's the respectful thing to do.

• Upvote (+1) 1

It wasn't a 'move by 343', it was his own decision.

He didn't work on Gears.

Doesn't change the fact his main point is that the Halo series is better off without him.

The guy seems like a nice guy and passionate about games and all but hes clueless. Quite frankly I'd say game development is the wrong career path for him (and a number of people still at 343).

• Upvote (+1) 4

Hows satan doing?

He's a cool guy and all but man does it get annoying being around him all the time. Every time a cute girl comes up to me she asks "who's your hot friend?" Worst wingman ever.
  • Upvote (+1) 2

Or if it had none, so crouch camping corners with automatics was less of a thing.

No, that would make my problems worse.  I HATE no radar FFA.  It's like I'm blind.  I have almost no information to work with.  People can just run up behind me and kill me, and unlike team games, I had no real way of knowing he would be there.  Radar gives you a chance to react.  Unfortunately corner camping is a side effect of that, but it can be alleviated with good maps, 8 players, and less easily attainable/less powerful autos.  It has worked in every other Halo game.  There is no reason why it wouldn't work here.  In fact, I know it would work, because I've played customs with a BTB-sized radar and it was a much better experience.  I could actually make informed decisions and make good plays, instead of playing blind and paranoid all the time.

The problem with the small radar is that it only benefits corner campers. A bigger one would actually let good players make good decisions and have a chance to manage the chaos surrounding them.

• Upvote (+1) 2

He's a cool guy and all but man does it get annoying being around him all the time. Every time a cute girl comes up to me she asks "who's your hot friend?" Worst wingman ever.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Doesn't change the fact his main point is that the Halo series is better off without him.

The guy seems like a nice guy and passionate about games and all but hes clueless. Quite frankly I'd say game development is the wrong career path for him (and a number of people still at 343).

1. Yes, no doubt better off without him, but circle-jerking that fact using completely made up information is a bit pointless, no?

2. Saying game development is a bad path is a really disheartening insult... we know nothing of his talents in coding/programming, how he responds to issues and works with people, how he works in a pipeline, etc.

You can say he was not good for Halo, or doesn't understand the design process behind a competitive game, but saying he is a bad developer is unnecessary.

• Upvote (+1) 2

No, that would make my problems worse.  I HATE no radar FFA.  It's like I'm blind.  I have almost no information to work with.  People can just run up behind me and kill me, and unlike team games, I had no real way of knowing he would be there. 

To be fair, that's where awareness and map knowledge come in.

This reminds me of a YouTube comment I saw

"10 Reasons why Satan is Awesome

He'll give you anything you want for only your soul

He's fucking red

He has horns

He loves all of us

Blabla can't remember the rest

Was fucking funny.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I'll admit being wrong on the image, but lol, c'mon. "His own decision". Yeah, Balmer and Mattrick left at their own accord too, right? Microsoft, along with every other large company, always gives them the change to "resign" before a termination. It's the respectful thing to do.

His severe lack of social media/community presence tells me he doesn't care about what the community thinks of his games, nor should the higher ups who decide what his job is. Objectively, he completed two operational and successful multiplayer games. Regardless of whether or not the designs were popular or healthy for Halo, its clear he wasn't in an unwanted place at 343.

Considering this is a full fledged studio formed by a passionate group of friends, it hardly seems like he was forced out in any way.

You have no teammates or call outs. You are basically blind in FFA and you're fighting 7 more enemies instead of 4 and there's only one of you.

• Upvote (+1) 3

His severe lack of social media/community presence tells me he doesn't care about what the community thinks of his games, nor should the higher ups who decide what his job is. Objectively, he completed two operational and successful multiplayer games. Regardless of whether or not the designs were popular or healthy for Halo, its clear he wasn't in an unwanted place at 343.

Considering this is a full fledged studio formed by a passionate group of friends, it hardly seems like he was forced out in any way.

How is that clear? Because they completed two games and they smile a lot in their twitter pictures? We have no idea what's going behind the scenes but what thing I can promise is you is that there have been heated meetings with Bonnie Ross on how Halo 5 didn't meet their projections, talks about the population, and how much money their dumping into the HCS tournament yet no one is talking about it. This is all multiplayer related and Franklin is the lead of it. And now he "resigns". The writing is on the wall.

That's no different than saying "Well Mattrick finished the Xbox One...and that's something! And then he resigned because he wanted to work for Zynga." 

Edit: Okay okay, if you really think he resigned without pressure from Microsoft, whatever. Not a big deal, he's out regardless.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Honestly, if Halo is gonna keep using a radar that shows people that are just walking, then they need to make the radar always active no matter what. Crouching should not hide you anymore. It's never been a good mechanic.

I disagree with this too, lol.  The way radar has always worked in FFA is good.  For team games, if radar is going to be a thing at all in casual settings, I would far prefer a CoD style where you only show when firing or using Spartan Abilities.  

Crouching to avoid radar has it's own built in risk/reward.  There are times when you need it, like spawning basement on Midship with one guy above you.  Problems only arise on bad FFA maps with bad weapon layouts.  On good maps it takes some actual thought and awareness to use effectively.

Yes, for team games.  FFA is far too chaotic to be expected to do that.  No radar FFA is random as fuck.  There is a reason MLG turned it on for FFA.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I disagree with this too, lol. The way radar has always worked in FFA is good. For team games, if radar is going to be a thing at all in casual settings, I would far prefer a CoD style where you only show when firing or using Spartan Abilities.

Crouching to avoid radar has it's own built in risk/reward. There are times when you need it, like spawning basement on Midship with a one guy above you. Problems only arise on bad FFA maps with bad weapon layouts. On good maps it takes some actual thought and awareness to use effectively.

I would like to see how an "always on" radar would work in FFA. 4's should be no radar anyway so I won't dive into that. I definitely feel like it could work. It could also be terrible though. Still worth a shot though.

I just feel like giving players an advantage for just crouching behind something needs to be looked at a little more.

Yes, for team games.  FFA is far too chaotic to be expected to do that.  No radar FFA is random as fuck.  There is a reason MLG turned it on for FFA.

Didn't even know MLG hosted FFA tournaments.

I can promise is you is that there have been heated meetings with Bonnie Ross on how Halo 5 didn't meet their projections, talks about the population, and how much money their dumping into the HCS tournament yet no one is talking about it. This is all multiplayer related and Franklin is the lead of it.

If you have an extra tin foil hat, I'm a size medium.

Attributing all of Halo 5's financial/success shortcomings to multiplayer and Kevin Franklin is a bit crazy not only because he is one of many, many people who have input on the game's direction, but also because there are tons of other factors – franchise fatigue, a terrible marketing-narrative alignment, etc.

And HCS is growing faster than it ever has so I'd bite your tongue for a bit until our eSport is at least a few years old, then we can make judgments on its worth as an investment

1. Yes, no doubt better off without him, but circle-jerking that fact using completely made up information is a bit pointless, no?

2. Saying game development is a bad path is a really disheartening insult... we know nothing of his talents in coding/programming, how he responds to issues and works with people, how he works in a pipeline, etc.

You can say he was not good for Halo, or doesn't understand the design process behind a competitive game, but saying he is a bad developer is unnecessary.

1. I don't think anyones circlejerking and those things aren't made up, they happened. Not by him but really, a lot of ridiculous comments have been said from 343 over the years and not everyone keeps track of who says/does what and when. Anyone of them could say it and it wouldn't sound out of place for them. Its an easy mistake to make. Its not like those 2 things are the only things people have formed their opinion of him on over the years, or at least I sincerely doubt it/hope not.

I would like to see how an "always on" radar would work in FFA. 4's should be no radar anyway so I won't dive into that. I definitely feel like it could work. It could also be terrible though. Still worth a shot though.

I just feel like giving players an advantage for just crouching behind something needs to be looked at a little more.

I like the crouch walking mechanic on good FFA maps (Midship/Heretic/Simplex/Onyx/Citadel/Haven/Derelict/Hang Em High, etc) because it's hard to abuse.  The guy winning the game on any of those maps probably isn't using crouch walking more than a couple of times per game, if at all. It's only a problem on shitty FFA maps like Landfall or Empire with a ton of rooms and short range weapons.  An "always on" radar would improve FFA on maps like that immensely though.  Like, to the point where it should be a separate setting on a per map basis like we do with flag returns for Midship VS Sanctuary.

Didn't even know MLG hosted FFA tournaments.

Yes, they hosted them all through Halo 1 and 2, the Bic Flex 4 FFA side event in Halo 3, and again for Columbus 2012 for v7 Reach.  It always had radar.

I like the crouch walking mechanic on good FFA maps (Midship/Heretic/Simplex/Onyx/Citadel/Haven/Derelict/Hang Em High, etc) because it's hard to abuse. The guy winning the game on any of those maps probably isn't using crouch walking more than a couple of times per game, if at all. It's only a problem on shitty FFA maps like Landfall or Empire with a ton of rooms and short range weapons. An "always on" radar would improve FFA on maps like that immensely though. Like, to the point where it should be a separate setting on a per map basis like we do with flag returns for Midship VS Sanctuary.

Yes, they hosted them all through Halo 1 and 2, and again for Columbus 2012 for v7 Reach. It always had radar.

Ah that makes sense I agree on that. I jut wish 343 wasn't so hell-bent on universal settings so we could just make everything as good as it needs to be.
  • Upvote (+1) 2