CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

We need to develop a system so i know what fuckin time camo comes up when you grab it too

But yeah definitely im up to play, going to really try to make onyx this season :)

I made Onyx in SWAT by accident. Does that count?

I made Onyx in SWAT by accident. Does that count?

So did i, SWAT is garbage in this game though so i pretend it doesn't exist :P

Use the left stick to aim more often. Set your aim where you want it with your right stick, once you like where it is, don't touch it. Use the left stick to strafe and aim at the same time if the enemy does not jump. It will help you keep it very steady at close-mid range mostly.

That's really hard to do when they strafe, thrust, or change elevation. It's just infuriating to have days of playtime into a game and still have a shitty shot

• Upvote (+1) 3

That's really hard to do when they strafe, thrust, or change elevation. It's just infuriating to have days of playtime into a game and still have a shitty shot

Yep. Never had a problem in any other Halo game being liberal with my right stick until Halo 5.

• Upvote (+1) 2

How do you guys win 1v1 fights in this game? The aiming is so shit. Scoped Pistol fights are the worst because the reticle is so damn sluggish when making small adjustments, meaning you have to slam your stick much further, and thus play a game of repeatedly overshooting and punishing the air to the left and right of the enemy player. It honestly feels like trying to hit someone with a giant spaghetti noodle...

I made a relatively long guide on the Meta thread about using Thrust in battles. Here

Wall of text ahead:

Hey guys, I did a post on “reads” in Halo 5 and since I had some positive reception, I thought I would try making a general guide to using the Thruster in H5 a bit more effectively because this is the first time we really have a mechanic that is so influential in battles throughout a match. I’ll be using some clips of mine to show because it’s just easier for me and I’m a bit lazy to find some VoD of top players using it. Though I am writing this guide, this is just an opinion of mine on how to use Thruster pack and I’m a player always looking to improve and am open to suggestions. So if you disagree with a point I’d love to have a discussion about it! Now onto the guide:

I think before we talk about tips/general ideas on how to use Thruster pack, we need to get some terminology, general idea of Thrust and tech that people have found. To begin with, the Thruster pack has essentially 3 parts to it, the initial frames, the active frames and the recovery period. To try defining these, the intial frames are the beginning of the Thrust, the active is when you are first able to shoot and the recovery period is when the Thrust is almost coming to a stop. I don’t have the frame data but having these definitions helps out a bit with discussing Thruster. Also from now on I’m just going to call Thruster Pack THP throughout this guide because im a lazy man at times (sorry). Next we can discuss Thrust Cancel. Cookies4you on The Team Beyond forums defined it well as “Recycling frames using thrust delay and firing instantly when it's over.” To use this best, as soon as you hit the 4th shot of a Pistol shot, you should Thrust if you want to both dodge shots and have the quickest kill time possible while using TP. Cookies4you posted a video here showing Thrust Cancel with a Light Rifle as its slow rate of fire is makes Thrust Cancel especially useful http://xboxdvr.com/g.../video/12708736

Another finding is Thrust Launching. The video should show you how to do it pretty well.

https://www.youtube....h?v=7fQV4ittN9s

Last tech people have found is Thrust Slide. Here is a video that explains it pretty well

https://youtu.be/0LA56xofrKI

Disregard the stuff about Super Slide and Fast fall because that is all removed from the game. Thrust Slide however, is still in.

Alright. now we’re doing with introducing all the new tech and terminology, we can discuss how to actually use the TP effectively.

The first thing I’ll talk about is general things on using TP in a 1v1 battle. TP should be used for the most part as a comeback mechanic. You use this when you are down shots or to have higher health than you normally would have had. For example, if you are down 1-2 shots, using the Thruster in this battle would be really effective to bring you back into this 1v1 in equal footing. But how does one do this correctly? In my opinion, there are about 3 general guidelines to achieving a “good” use of TP

1) Will using TP now cause my opponents to have easy shots on me in my recovery period? A lot of times what will happen is a player will be 2 shots (he will die in 2 shots if the player can get a headshot if the player is no shields) use TP in a time where the enemy will most likely get 1 shot in the initial / active frames and because of the predictability of the recovery period the enemy player has an easy shot lined up. Preferably you don’t want this to happen, you would probably like to avoid this however, if you were too slow and you will die either way, you might as well do this to get the enemy 1-2 shots weaker for your teammates to clean up

2) Is this going to screw my opponents aim? Sometimes unpredictability is the best way to use TP because you can have an early head start in a 1v1 or in a general encounter.

3) Am I going to die if I do not use Thruster? If you’re already going to die, whether that’s by nades, not looking at the opponent, etc personally I think you might as well use it to try getting a fighting chance and maybe get a shot or two on your enemies.

4) If I’m down in shots, will using TP and getting shots in let me survive and let the 1v1 be in a more equal footing?

So these are the general tips on, at least in my opinion, a good use of TP.

Though just reading this can be a bit hard to understand how they work in an actual game, which is why I’m just going to use a few clips I have.

http://xboxdvr.com/g...o/14358550#t=11

Here’s a run down of why I did each decision from 11 seconds onward. For the first kill, I was pretty confident I could get this kill through unpredictable means. For the passive player, the best play would have been to Thrust and back off but I wanted Turbine control and if I backed off I would have to wait for enemies to push to Blue door to get any kills as I expected 2-3 enemies around the Red Bend/Turbine side. So killing this guy was a bit important if you ask me. For this first kill, I used #1, #2 and #4. For #1, if I get this kill the recovery period really doesn’t matter and even if I did miss the first shot with the Sniper while I TP’d forward, I still was 2 shots for a Pistol user and if I wanted to, I could switch to my pistol easily. #2, a lot of times players will not expect a forward TP when they are down in shots which is what I was counting on. I don’t recommend this all the time but sometimes it works, it’s a really case by case basis and i don’t recommend using it all the time.

For the second kill, I wanted to be by cover quickly but get the kill. Really I just used #2 as it’s a bit unpredictable to see a guy thrusting out of cover. However, I did mess up in this play by jumping a lot. Personally the better play would have been to Thrust Slide to get to cover faster and further in.

Last kill was #2 and #3. I was going to die in this situation either through nades or the guy shooting the box and having my cover blown. I wanted to wait a few seconds to get my Thrust back and wait for his nade that I was predicting him to be thrown and Thrust afterwards to have him in the recovery period of him throwing his nade and because it’s really unpredictable to have a guy flying 1 shot out of cover.

Next clip: http://xboxdvr.com/g...eo/12851147#t=7

In the beginning, I had to really avoid this dude so I wanted to TP to be sure he could not get shots on me while I was getting my shields back, so basically #3. I then challenged the other guy but was pretty confident that I could kill him without TP and because I’m already weak, use it to avoid a death by another opponent. Which happened, I killed the 1st opponent and because I really had no other solutions for the most part, I went basically for #3 because there wasn’t much of a way I was going to live without it, I fortunately got lucky and he had to reload and I could exploit that mistake.

The last kill i wanted to survive, be in cover and place shots on this guy while my team helped me out. Basically I went for the aggressive and passive play at the same time as using Thruster here was effective for both. Because I’d be in cover at the recovery period, I was going to be fine even with the TP recovery period being easy to predict.

Moving on from all that though, you can use Thruster for a ton of ways in this game. Such as Thrust Launching, Thrust Sliding, etc. Personally a good way to use Thrust Slide in a battle is to do it when you’re entering an encounter because of how fast it is and that you also have momentum jumps. It’s a bit unpredictable and hard to fix your aim so quickly at times. Another suggestion is burst rushing with it while using an auto like an AR or Storm Rifle because you’ll be in preferable range for the CQC weapons.

Another point I’d like to make using TP is do not use it so carelessly. At times players will use it to get to 1 point to another quicker but the need of it isn’t really needed when they enter an area that might be a possible encounter. Sometimes it’s better to save your thrust when you’re expecting another fight rather than using it to get to areas quicker (sometimes! Really, it’s a situational argument).

The last point I’d like to make is, and this is hard to explain how to do it, but time the weapons RoF in your head to Thrust right before they would shoot their next shot. This is especially easy imo with weapons like the Sniper rifle as the RoF is slow, but less useful against weapons such as the Carbine or DMR. However, I think with the Pistol, BR and Light Rifle they can be pretty useful against opponents.

I can't fix your aiming (really just play a lot of Octagon) but what a lot of people do wrong in 1v1s is using their Thruster incorrectly and their strafe is usually nothing to note of. Use the environment around you as well to your advantage. The aiming system sucks but its not impossible to have a good shot in this game, you just have to work on it. If someone has good Thrust use you can react to the side he goes to (small note: most players will Thrust to the side either on cover or the one furthest away from you) and shoot him. Though honestly most players in this game don't have good or decent Thrust use in Diamond/Onyx play.

This isn't really detailed and rushed explanation, but there really isn't a quick tip to fix your aim in this game. You just have to practice it a lot like in Octagon. Aiming in Halo games is the equivalent to combos in Fighting games, to make sure you have good execution on combos, you have to keep practicing. Same thing in Halo

If you want an Octagon that is solely based on importing your aim and tries its best on not pre aiming, download the octagon on "bunniesz23" file share that is titled "Octag8n" or something like that

The reason I use that one is because across the map is not RRR, the spawns will spawn you across the enemy in 3-4 locations but its random and you have no way to force spawns. So its all based on reaction for you to start shooting someone (though sometimes you'll be lucky and there isn't a way to stop it) and not pre aiming which doesn't help in an in game environment all the time.

If you need an Octagon buddy you can add me. Ill play as much as possible lol. My GT is "xWicked Swami" and as long as I'm not practicing with my team or hosting customs I'm usually free.

Tl;dr focus on making THEM miss their shots while you practice Octagon to up your aim.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Now since they updated the searching, I'm matching to4 champions every game now and for some reason they thinks it's fair to throw a diamond on my team. This game just got more unplayable without a to4.

They let high ranks get games now? Yessss. Thank you John Cena.

Anyone has an idea what they changed? Did they remove region lock? Didn't have the time to test it.

I love not being able to veto maps and getting SHITTY FUCKING TORQUE OR OVERGROWTH EVERY GAME. this season sucks and makes me not want to play.

@@Sal1ent @@Deez good job on the decision loosen matchmaking skill restrictions.

Now, coupled with this update, let's make the logical decision here and match teams of four against teams of four only. Teams of 3 + 1 vs Teams of 3 + 1. And Mixed Teams of 2/Solo's vs Teams of 2/Solo's.

I really wish you guys would just give it a shot just so we can prove to you how well it works like it did in Halo 3. I'm pretty confident that you guys use some type of versioning software like Subversion or Git, so you can easily revert back these changes if they seem problematic for you. Just give it a try guys. :)

Now that you allowed more skilled teams to find more games, a huge problem with the matchmaking system is that teams would constantly match solos and dominate them for easy wins. Now that the skill range extends even further, I can just tell that this will exponentially amplify that problem. The matchmaking experience would be far more enjoyable for everyone if the games were a lot more fair using this method. Yes, lower skilled teams will match higher skilled teams, but that's how teams used to get better in all the other Halo's. Constantly playing other teams to figure out their strategies and take on other teams. Solo players do not have this luxury.

I really hope you guys consider it because I truly believe it will improve your game far more than you think. The matchmaking experience is extremely frustrating at times due to this issue, and it's indeed an issue. It's been talked about since week one.

We've been asking for this since Reach, actually.

The fact that they haven't implemented this yet after the constant feedback for 6 years straight is just mind boggling.

• Upvote (+1) 4

We've been asking for this since Reach, actually.

The fact that they haven't implemented this yet after the constant feedback for 6 years straight is just mind boggling.

Halo 4 actually had party restrictions in some of the "more competitive" playlists like Doubles, Throwdown and CTF. (Didn't have ranks or region lock though.)

I just don't like how they seem to not even try it. Same goes for "social" without strict mmr. Just test it. If it works out bad the community will say so and we can change it back. But can we try it at least please? :/

Halo 4 actually had party restrictions in some of the "more competitive" playlists like Doubles, Throwdown and CTF. (Didn't have ranks or region lock though.

I just don't like how they seem to not even try it. Same goes for "social" without strict mmr. Just test it. If it works out bad the community will say so and we can change it back. But can we try it at least please? :/

Whats "Halo 4"?

Whats "Halo 4"?

:simms:

Halo 4 is a 2012 first-person shooter video game developed by 343 Industries and published by Microsoft Studios for the Xbox 360 video game console. The seventh video game installment in the Halo franchise, the game was released worldwide in November 2012. Halo 4's story follows a cybernetically enhanced human supersoldier, Master Chief, and his artificial intelligence construct Cortana, as they encounter unknown threats while exploring an ancient civilization's planet. The player assumes the role of Master Chief, who battles against rogue remnants of the military alliance of alien races known as the Covenant and warriors of the Forerunner empire known as the Prometheans. The game features a selection of weapons, enemies, and game modes not present in previous titles of the series.

Development of Halo 4 began in 2009 and continued until September 2012. Halo 4 is 343 Industries' first original title within the Halo series—previously, development of the main series was undertaken by Bungie, the creator of the franchise. In the developmental process, 343 Industries decided to explore the Forerunner fiction within the Halo universe, leading the team to design a new setting, enemies, and main antagonist. Existing characters and assets received visual overhauls and motion capture was used for animation within cutscenes. A goal for Halo 4's story was to incorporate more human elements; to achieve this, the developers chose to delve more deeply into the relationship between the two protagonists, Master Chief and Cortana. Several external studios assisted 343 Industries with developing Halo 4, and over 350 people worked on the game in total.

The game was officially announced at Electronic Entertainment Expo 2011 (E3) on June 6. Prior to launch, Microsoft stated that Halo 4 was the most expensive video game title the company had created so far. The game was marketed with promotional events and videos, including the creation of a live-action film, Halo 4: Forward Unto Dawn. Halo 4 grossed US$220 million on its launch day and $300 million in its opening week—a record for the franchise. More than one million people played Halo 4 on Xbox Live within the first 24 hours of its release. The game received generally positive reviews from professional critics and received multiple nominations and awards from the press. It was rereleased as part of Halo: The Master Chief Collection for the Xbox One on November 11, 2014. A sequel, Halo 5: Guardians, was released for the Xbox One on October 27, 2015

• Upvote (+1) 1

@@Sal1ent @@Deez good job on the decision loosen matchmaking skill restrictions.

Now, coupled with this update, let's make the logical decision here and match teams of four against teams of four only. Teams of 3 + 1 vs Teams of 3 + 1. And Mixed Teams of 2/Solo's vs Teams of 2/Solo's.

I really wish you guys would just give it a shot just so we can prove to you how well it works like it did in Halo 3. I'm pretty confident that you guys use some type of versioning software like Subversion or Git, so you can easily revert back these changes if they seem problematic for you. Just give it a try guys. :)

Now that you allowed more skilled teams to find more games, a huge problem with the matchmaking system is that teams would constantly match solos and dominate them for easy wins. Now that the skill range extends even further, I can just tell that this will exponentially amplify that problem. The matchmaking experience would be far more enjoyable for everyone if the games were a lot more fair using this method. Yes, lower skilled teams will match higher skilled teams, but that's how teams used to get better in all the other Halo's. Constantly playing other teams to figure out their strategies and take on other teams. Solo players do not have this luxury.

I really hope you guys consider it because I truly believe it will improve your game far more than you think. The matchmaking experience is extremely frustrating at times due to this issue, and it's indeed an issue. It's been talked about since week one.

Or, at the very least they should have an open dialogue about why they've made the decisions they have.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Now, coupled with this update, let's make the logical decision here and match teams of four against teams of four only. Teams of 3 + 1 vs Teams of 3 + 1. And Mixed Teams of 2/Solo's vs Teams of 2/Solo's.

I really wish you guys would just give it a shot just so we can prove to you how well it works like it did in Halo 3. I'm pretty confident that you guys use some type of versioning software like Subversion or Git, so you can easily revert back these changes if they seem problematic for you. Just give it a try guys. :)

Now that you allowed more skilled teams to find more games, a huge problem with the matchmaking system is that teams would constantly match solos and dominate them for easy wins. Now that the skill range extends even further, I can just tell that this will exponentially amplify that problem. The matchmaking experience would be far more enjoyable for everyone if the games were a lot more fair using this method. Yes, lower skilled teams will match higher skilled teams, but that's how teams used to get better in all the other Halo's. Constantly playing other teams to figure out their strategies and take on other teams. Solo players do not have this luxury.

This x100.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I wish I could upvote the same comment twice.
  • Upvote (+1) 1

If hard and fast rules are problematic why were champions not allowed to play social or find matches in sub half an hour?

:lxthul:

• Upvote (+1) 1

Hey guys, some of The Sauna members are trained to not shoot you if you are crouching and walking backwards out of the core base. If you do not want to be farmed and do not feel like quitting simply crouchwalk backwards towards are team and will most likely not be killed, after making it to our team you can run freely around the map. 

This is not a troll, individuals surrendering is not uncommon, myself and a handful of other Sauna members (hopefully all of the Sauna one day) are training ourselves to not shoot people who surrender.

"I surrender."

http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/OG%20RAW%20THUG/video/15515518