CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

what maps have been announced so far that the public has seen? i havent paid that much attention so only remember midship(truth?) and the other one from some older vids(empire maybe?) what is this eden and regret maps

Eden is the nighttime Empire remix, the one with the OG Energy Sword and the Lightrifle. Regret looks like an outdoor Truth, and has that new rocket weapon.

LdT3ubn.gif

According to /r/halo, the map is called "full_terrain_alpine, variant orion". Forge map? It says "Slayer" in the corner, but it still might be a Forge variant.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Anyone know how the Aim Acceleration is? Haven't seen anything mentioned on that.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Is Ghandi hopping and crouch jumping all gone due to ground pound ? Can anyone tell me if this is true...

Is Ghandi hopping and crouch jumping all gone due to ground pound ? Can anyone tell me if this is true...

It seems to be gone in the beta, but apparently 343 said it will work in the final.

• Upvote (+1) 1

They did say that they also wanna test DMR start, so I'll imagine that'll be week 3. I think breakout will just be a separate playlist. Also beta has 7 maps. Week 1 is truth and empire. Week 2 is regret and eden. Week 3 will probably be 2 "normal" maps + breakout on crossfire.

I'm really excited to see two new "normal maps" if that turns out to be true.

It seems to be gone in the beta, but apparently 343 said it will work in the final.

Gandhi Hopping is already possible in the beta. As long as you tap the crouch button instead of holding it you won't start the ground pound. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

On the subject of sprint:

Maps had to be stretched out to accommodate for the higher speed which I don't like, it still kind of is a get out of jail free card combined with thruster pack (thruster to cover and sprint away after out of the line of sight of the enemy) and most importantly just feels clunky when you have to give up your ability to shoot for mobility (which is required for map movement due to bigger maps).

It doesn't feel like an arena game, it doesn't feel like Halo. Base movement speed is also affected in a negative way. The game should have increased movement speed and no sprint.

About starting weapons:

The Pistol should be buffed to a 4sk IMO to balance it out with the AR. The pistol is pretty hard to use as of now, and if buffed it will act as a very skill demanding weapon which will reward skillful users. Pistol AR start would benefit from this as well as people would have the option of using both weapons as opposed to now were the assault rifle is the more viable option.

The pistol being the more likely accepted weapon by the competitive community is an added bonus to this and will help keeping the stock gametypes the same as the tournament gametypes, which greatly benefits the accessabilty of these.

Ideally the competitive gametypes should be both enjoyable by the casual and competive community. The major difference being the map selection.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Gandhi Hopping is already possible in the beta. As long as you tap the crouch button instead of holding it you won't start the ground pound. 

Oh it is? That's pretty sick, I wasn't able to play and didn't watch a lot. I just figured it wasn't since I saw so many pros accidentally ground pounding while watching streams.

Btw does anyone know what time the beta will go live on Monday?

Yup, was one of the reasons I wanted to post it. I'm probably alone in thinking this but nobody should ever spawn into a position in which they have no chance of surviving.

:)

You mustn't like CE that much then =p.

They did say that they also wanna test DMR start, so I'll imagine that'll be week 3. I think breakout will just be a separate playlist. Also beta has 7 maps. Week 1 is truth and empire. Week 2 is regret and eden. Week 3 will probably be 2 "normal" maps + breakout on crossfire.

Appologies if i missed this, is there a link to confirm week 1 and 2 maps?

So, after the few days of playing, what's the general impression of the game so far?

So, after the few days of playing, what's the general impression of the game so far?

Gunplay is alright. Scoping in is awkward/slow especially with the snipe. AR probably too strong. Magnum needs small buffs perhaps. It doesn't feel like Halo. Flinch. Why? Why can't I crouch jump? Sprint sucks. - Almost everyone

• Upvote (+1) 1

LdT3ubn.gif

According to /r/halo, the map is called "full_terrain_alpine, variant orion". Forge map? It says "Slayer" in the corner, but it still might be a Forge variant.

How does someone have access to that?

Is the early access beta still live or not?

No, it ended last night.

Big post-early access feedback time! @@Deez @@Sal1ent

- Movement and related Spartan Abilities:

Base movement speed feels a little slow and the strafing feels a bit too sluggish currently. Although weapons are more difficult to aim it rarely feels like the player has much defensive agency if the opponent shot first. Trying to back down and run away using Sprint and/or Thruster while calling for help feels much more viable than standing your ground and trying to out-skill the opponent with good movement and accuracy.

Thruster feels really good. I don't really have any complaints, but I would like to see it allow players to continue to shoot and throw grenades while using it. Just imagine the feeling of a Thruster strafe Snapshot or plasma Stick!

Sprint is definitely the best it's ever been thanks the punishing mechanic of resetting the shield recharge wait period whenever it's used. However in a lot of situations it feels very hollow and meaningless. There hasn't been a situation so far in Halo 5 where I've been very thankful to be able to Sprint; there are a couple of sprint jumps that exist (such as window to top mid on Truth) but despite these being fun to execute they do come across as being overly liberating from the confines of the map geometry. When players can utilise such shortcuts without much risk or difficulty in execution the map's more powerful positions suffer in exchange.

I never used Slide in a serious game situation. Tried it a few times when I was in safety, but couldn't work out any real practical use for it given that running headlong at an opponent is a great way to get killed. If Sprint were to be removed and this ability was cut as a consequence of that I definitely wouldn't even notice its absence. Now, if there were some areas on a map which were limited to crouch height I could see Slide being used as a quick way to transition through those, but even then I think that would come off as a fairly gimmicky way to promote the use of it.

As for Spartan Charge, after what feels like about 70 games played (give or take) I have a total of 0 kills and 1 death to this ability. It looks fun, but the sudden third person camera is a bit jarring and it doesn't feel like it has any genuinely useful offensive properties. I intend to experiment with it as a defensive tool during the main bet period to see if it works like a second Thruster use while sprinting into cover. If that is the case I'll feel as attached to it as I do to the Slide mechanic.

My kill/death statistic for the Ground Pound are identical to the Spartan Charge. It's a really fun humiliation move and I think the potential use of it as a fast descent mechanic is interesting, however the way it's currently mapped to crouch in mid-air is very frustrating for those of use who attempt to "Gandhi hop" when at risk of being finished by a headshot. This particular setup also prevents "spring jumping".

Overall I think the ability could do with requiring a more significant height before activation is valid and a slightly longer charge up time to ensure that last ditch attempts at using an ability with a potential 1 hit kill have a lower success rate. Otherwise I think the power, radius, and massive physics impulse this move gives off could have some interesting moments.

Clamber is interesting. At first I thought I would really dislike this mechanic, and although I don't particularly like it (especially with crouch jumping being taken over by Ground Pound n the beta build) it doesn't feel especially wrong either. I think after three days I'm sort of indifferent about it. My preference would definitely be standard Halo jumping manoeuvres, but sticking with Clamber isn't something I'd strongly push back against either. The only suggestion I have would be to shrink the window of opportunity for clambering and to not have quite so many ledges in the game that require a clamber in order to ascend; it feels somewhat forced in both of the maps we've played so far and I think it would be more interesting if it wasn't so ubiquitous.

- Guns, Grenades, and Melee:

First of all I'd like to say that I appreciate how powerful all of the weapons in H5G feel so far. However there are still some issues, the most egregious of which is the flinching effect that can be felt when shooting without using the Smart Scope.

Flinch has thoroughly messed with the ability to line up Snapshots when under fire and makes using a precision weapon such as the Magnum or DMR against an automatic weapon at a close-medium range extremely frustrating due to the feeling of control being taken away from the player attempting to land a headshot whereas the automatic user has the benefit of significant bullet magnetism, a high rate of fire, and even their own headshot multipliers to give them a significant advantage. I have no idea if this mechanic is intentional, accidental, or even a bug related to the game's physics engine but it really breaks the feeling of it being a Halo game in 1v1 encounters.

Next up I'd like to talk about the automatic weapons in more detail. The AR and SMG now both have the ability to shoot at medium range thanks to the Smart Scope feature. In general I appreciate this, however there are a few instances of it in practice (particularly with the Assault Rifle) which feel dangerously close to breaking the Halo feel. I believe that the SMG is generally the better balanced of the two thanks to its higher recoil and the fact that there is still some degree of reticle bloom and inaccuracy when using the Smart Scope.

The damage these weapons deal feels great, however they're incredibly easy to use relative to the precision weapons despite being similarly lethal. I would like to see either the headshot bonuses removed (or reduced possibly) from the automatic weapons and for their unscoped bullet magnetism to be vastly reduced in order to encourage more accurate aiming at all times. The Assault Rifle may also benefit from slightly more recoil or a small amount of fast resetting reticle bloom (to encourage controlled bursts) when using the Smart Scope.

Now onto the precision weapons. I dislike the current relationship between the Battle Rifle and Magnum, however the DMR feels like it's exactly where it should be and I enjoy its implementation immensely.

Several things feel off about the pistol. First, the fact that it takes at minimum 5 bullets to kill with only 12 in the magazine. I would very much like to see this reduced to 4 shots to kill in order to maintain a ratio of 3 perfect kills per magazine. Additionally this would help alleviate the issue I have with the BR/Magnum relationship; as it stands the pistol appears to have the shorter time to kill, however the BR benefits from being easier to aim, a more forgiving magazine size (relatively as it takes 4 bursts to kill from a 12 burst magazine), a stronger Smart Scope magnification alongside a longer range at which aim assist aids the user, and the ability to swipe a burst to finish off very weak opponents easily.

The difference in time to kill simply isn't significant enough to outweigh all of the other advantages the BR brings, and this has the effect of making the AR/Magnum starts we have been playing so far still capable of falling victim to the issue that AR and SMG starts have had since Halo 2 in that once a team gets BRs and DMRs on the map they can build up significant momentum by simply out-ranging their respawning opponents.

Halo 5 AR/Magnum starts don't feel as helpless for spawners as any other post-H2 Halo but the potential for a game to snowball badly just on the virtue of spawners not being as viable at range is still there. I would like to see this solved by retaining the difficulty disparity between the pistol and BR whilst bringing other separating elements either more in line (such as zoom magnification) or by creating a bigger disparity to work alongside the difficulty difference (a 4sk Magnum).

As it stands the pistol is by far the most satisfying weapon to use well in the beta and I would hate to see it be sidelined simply because there are easier alternatives with minimal trade-offs.

I have little to say about grenades and melee other than that they feel quite good. The time between melees could possibly do with an extension, but I've had so few kills and deaths from it either directly or indirectly that I can't say anything is inherently problematic about it currently. Likewise grenades feel powerful, but not unavoidable. What must be said is that the ability to launch weapons (including power weapons) across great distances with grenades is an extremely welcome feature to return to Halo. "Combat Evolved!"

As for Power weapons, I'm of the opinion that the Prophet's Bane obscures too much of the user's screen and is also a little bit too bright. It feels as though there's a very significant trade-off of visibility to using it which makes it feel less valuable overall. Additionally I would like to see the draw time shortened. Not quite to Halo 2 levels, but the guns do kill very quickly and for a power weapon that requires getting up close to an opponent the Bane does feel very risky regardless of whether it's currently equipped or not.

Regarding the Sniper Rifle, I have a few issues with this in its current state. First of all, it seems very generous with hits - several times what felt like it should have been a near miss has counted as a hit for me. In relation to the difficulty of the other precision weapons in the sandbox so far this sticks out like a sore thumb. Additionally the time it takes to ready the weapon and to zoom in both feel like they're lagging in comparison to the rest of the sandbox and previous Halo games. Something definitely feels off about the fluidity of zooming in.

As for the sniper scope itself, it comes across as overly busy. I think a lot of players would appreciate it if the sniper view was cleared up and simplified a little (in particular please remove or reduce the blue filter).

The Weapon Pad system for spawning power weapons is excellent. As with being able to launch weapons via explosions this feels like the natural evolution of what Halo's item spawning system should have been after the original game. The current timers would definitely feel a bit long if the Sniper Rifle in particular wasn't so generous with hits, so all I can suggest is that once the final weapon balance is attained that you try to avoid the trap of allowing excessively long timers that coincide more often than not otherwise you risk stagnating movement the way we currently see on Empire.

Overall combat in Halo 5 feels good considering that there's almost another year to go before release. I'm cautiously optimistic at this point that it will turn out great.

- Maps:

Empire currently has an easily camped exterior setup. A Rocket Launcher to replace the interior Sniper Rifle and an Active Camo powerup somewhere on the lower level of the map (Tower One for example) would do wonders for preventing these stalemates in Slayer games.

Truth feels like a solid evolution of Midship, however it's often difficult to differentiate between the two side towers. Some kind of colour contrast would help a lot in this regard. I really like the sneaky routes and windows in the bases, and quite like the jump/drop between top and bottom middle.

- Bugs:

The only bug I've experienced that I could replicate throughout the early access period was a case of the Spectator Mode Freecam being able to get stuck on map geometry. Wish I could contribute more to this, but my experience with the build has been very clean.

- Matchmaking and UI Systems:

I don't want to talk too much about these because it's very obvious that they're nowhere near finished. However I will mention a few things:

First, it would be really appreciated if the time it takes to be able to make an action after opening a menu could be reduced. Attempting to mute multiple players in the pre-game lobby or check their service records feels like a tedious process currently. Also, please increase the brightness on the customisation page!

Second, I think it would be good if the division symbols displayed on the player's nameplate better represented a player's position within his/her division. Gold 1 should have a slightly different icon to Gold 2 and 3 for example. This would allow for better player assessment in the lobby whilst also increasing the feeling of earning something from ranking up.

Matchmaking itself has felt surprisingly good. It's been a long time since I've felt that the system in a Halo game was successfully matching based on skill. While searching with a party in which no player was ranked lower than Gold at a given time I can count on one hand the amount of times we matched against opponents lower than Gold division themselves. Our motley parties of Gold-Pro ranks tended to match other such parties and the ranking system generally felt as though it was doing its job while also being an addictive grind of sorts thanks to being able to see how much progress was gained or lost at the end of each match.

- Spectator Mode:

Aside from the aforementioned bug Spectator mode has seemed to function quite well. Despite this it is extremely barebones, essentially being the Theatre mode we know and love with the ability to view 1st person perspective for each player.

I'm no expert at broadcasting matches, so all I can suggest is that you pay very close attention to what established casters and even coaches would like to see this mode offer. If done right this could be a fantastic and fun tool for a variety of purposes and I really hope that its potential can be realised.

At this point I'm struggling to think of more talking points. If I recall anything I'll edit it in later, until then I patiently await the return of the beta on the 29th and eagerly look forward to providing more feedback at the end of each week. Many thanks to Xbox and 343i for the early access opportunity!

• Upvote (+1) 5

sorry for the wall of text before hand guys.

I really enjoyed this game. Without a doubt you better be ready for Scufs to blow up in the Halo Community because for myself their are so many important buttons that you would either need to be able to claw all the time or be at a disadvantage and I don't play claw, I bought a scuf while I was competing in Call of Duty so I know I am about to order a brand new Scuf here soon. My only problem i had with this game is the not being able to Gandhi hop. I did so many times because i was frozen in the air while attempting to hop because its so natural. 

also here is a link for some highlights from last night i made with the upload studios

xboxdvr.com/Nitttro/b49a04bb-f1c9-45c2-9004-c960cd431fa3

How does someone have access to that?

It's a clip from Episode 4 of The Sprint. There was enough time when it initially went up to watch 4 episodes before they successfully time locked episodes 2-6.

Measured at at 30 FPS, so slight margin of errors.

Pistol: 6/30 FPS, 1.0 +- .08333, 5-shot kill.

BR: 10/30 FPS, 1.33 +- .0667, 4-shot kill.

DMR: 8/30 FPS, 1.33 +- .08333, 5-shot kill.

AR: 3/30 FPS, how many bullets to kill? Hard to find a perfect kill.

Don't know about SMG either.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Yup, was one of the reasons I wanted to post it. I'm probably alone in thinking this but nobody should ever spawn into a position in which they have no chance of surviving.

:)

I agree and halo reach and 4 both made that impossible. Los was a blocker for spawn. They literally felt nothing was more important than preventing that scenario.

So I wonder if this is an oversight or a deliberate change in design?

LdT3ubn.gif

So instead of falling to your death you increase your rate of descent and ground pound to survive.

Very immersive.

But I will admit that is an excellent escape from a ledge.

It's a clip from Episode 4 of The Sprint. There was enough time when it initially went up to watch 4 episodes before they successfully time locked episodes 2-6.

Oh right, I knew about the extra episodes but I was confused as I hadn't seen that clip until now. I thought someone did some major hacking or something.