CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

By the way @@heytred, I don't take issue that we need to support Halo in 2016.

The problem is how that support is interpreted. What are the odds of us moving in a more positive direction if people enjoy the way Halo 5 is competitively? Not that people can't have their own opinions, but we know H5 isn't as competitively viable as others when using this forum's standards for how comp Halo should be played.

We have run into a conundrum: support Halo 5, and future Halo games will make thruster and clamber permanent, or abandon it, and risk 343 turning H6 into another Halo 4.

We should push for the most competitive settings possible, not compromises. I respect the casual player and the competitive; there's no reason they can't co-exist. Halo 2 and 3 may not be the most competitive Halo's but they certainly had harmony between social and hardcore players. That can happen again.

• Upvote (+1) 5

The real question is why a 1 life game mode was considered competitive Halo when its gameplay does NOT suit 1 life gametypes. The principles of Halo just do not hold up in elimination modes

You're absolutely right. 99% of the skill in Halo comes from things you deal with off of the respawn. But if they're going to push this stupid 1 life bullshit they might as well do it right. Which is questionably easy.

Breakout might not be complete ass if they treat it like any other 1 life game on the market, eg CS. Instead of having deep and complex maps with multiple counters and pathways with offensive/defensive, they literally did the complete opposite and gave us open savannahs and paintball courts for maps. I don't understand it. There's very tangible and accessible examples of how to do 1 life modes in other games, just replicate it. By giving everyone these bullshit dumbed down maps with absolutely no thought behind them, OR using dev maps which aren't suited for 1 life gameplay, it's like they don't give a fuck about their own mode. It'd be laughably simple to make it work.

Seriously. I started on a remake of CS's De_dust and de_dust 2 which are horizontally downscaled and vertically upscaled to make more sense within Halo, but the pathing is still the same. Gonna try breakout matches on it and I imagine it'll immediately be a hundred times better than anything we've seen.

I'm just guessing they treated breakout as a fun concept of halo paintball and they probably didn't intend on making it very competitive in the first place. Which might be why the maps are so poorly designed for competitive play.

Even though they included it in hcs or arena in halo 5, the gamemode may not have been entirely designed towards competitive play.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I'm just guessing they treated breakout as a fun concept of halo paintball and they probably didn't intend on making it very competitive in the first place. Which might be why the maps are so poorly designed for competitive play.

Even though they included it in hcs or arena in halo 5, the gamemode may not have been entirely designed towards competitive play.

Which would have been fine. It just shouldn't have been in competitive, and it sure shouldn't have had so many resources created for a spinoff of neutral flag.

Nah, pretty sure they wanted it to be the hot, new, competitive gamemode, it's obvious by the advertisement of it before launch.

If I've learned anything about 343 since Halo 4, it's that they seem to really want to make Halo their own thing rather than build off of what Bungie made (foolish pride, maybe?), even if that means adding things that have no business being in Halo.

• Upvote (+1) 6

If I've learned anything about 343 since Halo 4, it's that they seem to really want to make Halo their own thing rather than build off of what Bungie made (foolish pride, maybe?), even if that means adding things that have no business being in Halo.

Which sucks because you look at gears 4 which is in a pretty much identical situation H4 was(beloved original trilogy. Basterdised prequel following 3rd game. New first party dev made to create the 4th game) in and the coalition seems deadset on staying really true to gears' roots.

If only Halo would have been so lucky.

• Upvote (+1) 6

Nah, pretty sure they wanted it to be the hot, new, competitive gamemode, it's obvious by the advertisement of it before launch.

I respect their decision to make the game theirs, but when they change EVERYTHING and then change the gameplay into something awful (Reach was bad too) it becomes an issue
  • Upvote (+1) 4

If I've learned anything about 343 since Halo 4, it's that they seem to really want to make Halo their own thing rather than build off of what Bungie made

I remember when every piece of media 343 made themselves were just fun stories that SUPPLEMENTED the universe (instead of rewriting it), rather than advertisements for Halo 5. Like, Evolutions and Legends weren't made to hype up Halo 4 or anything, they were just there to give fans extra stories in the universe they loved.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I feel like I am losing interest in Halo 5 pretty fast.   Last night I booted it up to do my slayer placement matches.  When I first turned on I had nearly 20 friends on in Halo.  By the time I was done, which wasn't that late, I had 4...  

All of my placement matches were utter shit.  I literally played 5 out of 10 placement matches down a person, at the beginning of the game a couple of times.  That kind of shit just makes me not want to play, AT ALL.  I would be tempted to find a warzone party to join but a month ago I could find one easily with my active friends list, now, it is a very rare occurrence.  I think I have already hit the mode where the only thing that is going to get me to boot the game up is a content release/ championship hype/ I see a big party I can join while am browsing my Xbox PC app.   I feel like I can see the population dying.   Maybe it's just me.

What I find funny is, 343 actually improved Reach. That made me really excited to see what they would do with Halo 4.. and then we got Halo 4 and it was the total opposite direction of the Reach TU. I just don't understand how they could go from making Reach so much better, to shitting all over the series 3 games in a row.

I find it funny that Reach is both the worst Halo and possibly the best at the same time. Perfect 4v4 experience with the TU.
  • Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

But the Chopper. RIP

Man, I miss the Chopper would love it to return.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I'd be playing everyday if they gave us an aiming option that feels like Halo. 

343- "We've been given the franchise that revolutionized and perfected console twin stick aiming! Let's fuck with that!"

• Upvote (+1) 6

I'd be playing everyday if they gave us an aiming option that feels like Halo.

So would I if we got some real social.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I find it funny that Reach is both the worst Halo and possibly the best at the same time. Perfect 4v4 experience with the TU.

4 is way worse at its lowest than reach is i think, reach also has the benefit of being somewhat unique during its lifespan since no one else was doing abilities like reach was. everybody was doing what halo 4 was doing.

Holy shit. These placement matches were annoying as shit. First game all three members of my team quit. Second match I had the dumbest team known to man.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Holy shit. These placement matches were annoying as shit. First game all three members of my team quit. Second match I had the dumbest team known to man.

Dude I'm telling you it's brutal.  It's impossible to do it alone.  You have to have a team or it is sooooo frustrating.  Made me want to quit Halo. lol

Dude I'm telling you it's brutal. It's impossible to do it alone. You have to have a team or it is sooooo frustrating. Made me want to quit Halo. lol

This TO4 stuff is gonna make me throw my xbox out a window. Like seriously. I've started playing MCC and Pokemon AS more often cause I just can't bring myself to play Arena and Warzone is such a fucking bore.
  • Upvote (+1) 2

Dude I'm telling you it's brutal.  It's impossible to do it alone.  You have to have a team or it is sooooo frustrating.  Made me want to quit Halo. lol

For real. I played 2 matches. First match we lost because of shitters then the next match we won because they had shitters on their team. I don't get how this is suppose to be fun. I get more competitive matches in Warzone and BTB than I do in Arena. It's sad and shouldn't be this way.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Waaaaaaaaaa?

ZbNS reach was a big improvement, but it was still bad. Clunky as fuck.

How can I be such an average Halo player when I've been playing it for more than 10 years. Fuck.