CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

I took this quote from a Waypoint thread with the intention to make fun of it but now I want to make a comment on it.

This person is defending the layout of Overgrowth by saying that the person who won "used the map and weapons to his or her advantage".

The issue being that it takes nearly 0 skill to take advantage of sword-sprinting on the map. I have 2-3 videos of me getting sprees-frenzies by doing no thought or effort aside from sprinting at anyone I saw.

Here's my problem; you have an entire community of people arguing for these features based on complete misunderstandings or misconceptions about how "high-level play" works. This person in particular has said he was Champion (or in a lobby of champions), so I can only assume he's a little on the dumb side.

My favorite:

"The pistol is harder to use than the BR"

"A 'skilled' pistol user will kill a BR user"

There are some hardcore mental gymnastics going on here to actually convince someone that somebody who is a "skilled pistol user" will have the advantage as opposed to if he had a BR. Never-mind the idea that someone who is good at using the pistol will also be equally good at using the easier BR.

They seem to live in some sort of fantasy-land where the "skilled" player always wins, and that everything is just.

Another classic:

Let's say...

"A player shouldn't be allowed to be so deadly with a storm rifle+ radar combo while camping a corner."

They say...

"A good player would have the awareness to know someone is in that corner."

I've heard it multiple times that somehow "good" players are meant to be omnipotent in discussions regarding radar. I find it extremely hard to believe that anyone who has ever said something along these lines is themselves a "good player".

I think it's pretty safe to say that these misconceptions make up the majority of arguments that are pro-current sandbox.

It's the typical "you are complaining do you must be bad" mentality that has always plagued video games. People can't discuss or argue, it's all about flexing for the forums. Stat checking is hilarious too because the same people that claim you suck are dropping -10 bombs all day. But I would never use that as a counter to an argument.

I remember people gushing over arena breakout here for a little while before reverting back.

Breakout would be great if shields were normal. Just saying

but then the abilities would play a more larger more annoying roll since the killtimes are longer. Melee and grenades were too powerful but the 3 shot pistol was fine, there shouldn't have been autos or other utilities either.

but then the abilities would play a more larger more annoying roll since the killtimes are longer. Melee and grenades were too powerful but the 3 shot pistol was fine, there shouldn't have been autos or other utilities either.

.....Why??

@@heytred

When you say compromise, keep in mind that most of us aren't asking for the moon here. It's not like most people are asking for the removal of all abilities are something like that.

No radar, a faster killing utility (4sk pistol) and fewer powerful automatics on map are already a compromise, and really a no brainier for competitive Halo. I understand stuff likely won't happen until after the HWC and that's fine but we've also received literally zero indication that any of this is even being considered.

A few fairly simple tweaks would really go a long way towards merging the play style that made classic halo so fantastic with the newer style of play in H5.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Definitely not. That's the problem arena breakout had. Going down a man or 2 makes it impossible to do anything.

.....Why??

actually I'm still thinking in terms of it being in hcs lol, so having autos in a gametype where $2mil was at stake is bothersome in a "competitive gametype". Obviously this isn't the case anymore, however I still support a smaller sandbox.

Definitely not. That's the problem arena breakout had. Going down a man or 2 makes it impossible to do anything.

Yuppp. People would just pull the flag and the team with less players would just become overwhelmed. Breakout's increased lethality allowed for people who were players down to make a comeback.

Plus, it was stupidly easy to capture the flag on some maps. Regret and Eden come to mind.

Yuppp. People would just pull the flag and the team with less players would just become overwhelmed. Breakout's increased lethality allowed for people who were players down to make a comeback.

Plus, it was stupidly easy to capture the flag on some maps. Regret and Eden come to mind.

Exactly. And man, Empire and Regret played so awkwardly. My very first game was on Regret and I remember going down 3 rounds in less than 2 minutes because I had no idea what was going on. Even after all that settled, a team could just rush the flag and grab it and thrust to score before you could kill them. It was terrible.

I don't get why people want to play an elimination gametype will long kill times.

There is actually nothing else left to discuss.

I don't even bother doing the surveys they send out anymore. Literally everything that needed to be said about this game has been said. What we haven't gotten in return are answers.

• Upvote (+1) 4

And the suckish thing is, they have individual "sliders" for melee and grenade damage. They could create a solely 3sk Magnum, two hit melee, two frag nades to kill gametype, and it'd be really cool. No need to have automatics or anything. Just the Magnum, "maybe" a power weapon or powerup.

I wish they'd make BTB Pistol starts. Its too easy to cross map with the BR. Also I used the CE Pistol in BTB earlier....I really miss classic zoom.

• Upvote (+1) 2

And the suckish thing is, they have individual "sliders" for melee and grenade damage. They could create a solely 3sk Magnum, two hit melee, two frag nades to kill gametype, and it'd be really cool. No need to have automatics or anything. Just the Magnum, "maybe" a power weapon or powerup.

yup, it could've been a fun, stripped down sandbox gametype that was actually somewhat balanced. But alas...

I wish they'd make BTB Pistol starts. Its too easy to cross map with the BR. Also I used the CE Pistol in BTB earlier....I really miss classic zoom.

See I want to say the same, but some maps would be awful once a few people grabbed BRs. Deadlock (I think that's the Standoff one?) would be terrible.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I don't even bother doing the surveys they send out anymore. Literally everything that needed to be said about this game has been said. What we haven't gotten in return are answers.

I've deleted the last two.

Don't think so. Any idea what ranks the other players were in your placement games?

If you're only beating Golds/Diamonds, you won't place directly into Onyx.

I was Onyx 1750 last season and won 6 out of 10

I was Onyx 1750 last season and won 6 out of 10

I wasn't asking that. I was asking what players you were matching during your placements.

@@heytred

When you say compromise, keep in mind that most of us aren't asking for the moon here. It's not like most people are asking for the removal of all abilities are something like that.

No radar, a faster killing utility (4sk pistol) and fewer powerful automatics on map are already a compromise, and really a no brainier for competitive Halo. I understand stuff likely won't happen until after the HWC and that's fine but we've also received literally zero indication that any of this is even being considered.

A few fairly simple tweaks would really go a long way towards merging the play style that made classic halo so fantastic with the newer style of play in H5.

I understand that and I fully expect the autos to be adjusted and think they should be (as I've said multiple times). The whole point of my recent posts were to say that we could likely organize these requests and hopes in a better way. Mix that with realistic expectations that take into account nothing will likely change until after HWC and I think we'll be pretty well off.

At the end of the day I'm just saying, "Hey, this isn't going to help. This will." Do with it what you will.

mle3lBQ.jpg

See I want to say the same, but some maps would be awful once a few people grabbed BRs. Deadlock (I think that's the Standoff one?) would be terrible.

True. I guess the only way around that would be to remove the BRs and DMRs. Isnt there a community BTB playlist coming out? Can you make your own BTB maps and send them to 343 to get them in the playlist?

You think I wouldn't hop on the train at 343 to try to improve the Halo franchise?

Lemon's interview

343: So what's your favorite aspect of Halo 5?

Lemon: I love the SMG and Radar is great.

343: You're hired.

• Upvote (+1) 4

True. I guess the only way around that would be to remove the BRs and DMRs. Isnt there a community BTB playlist coming out? Can you make your own BTB maps and send them to 343 to get them in the playlist?

I believe a few maps are being tested this weekend, at least according to @@MATCLAN on Twitter. Provided they don't run into any major issues, the community BTB playlist shouldn't be too far off.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I believe a few maps are being tested this weekend, at least according to @@MATCLAN on Twitter. Provided they don't run into any major issues, the community BTB playlist shouldn't be too far off.

Sounds good. Im hoping for a Sandbox remake, loved that map in BTB.

@@heytred

I just personally have a hard time with your logic when the player retention(active users vs overall sales) of 343 halo games is horrendous.

A couple days ago Phil Spencer announced that they will no longer show off xb1 sales figures and instead focus on monthly active user figures because that is more important.

When the very head of xboX is saying active users is the most important aspect and 343's games struggle mightily in regards to that metric, there's an issue.

• Upvote (+1) 9

Lemon's interview

343: So what's your favorite aspect of Halo 5?

Lemon: I love the SMG and Radar is great.

343: You're hired.

Somewhere Lemon is burning because you acted like he would say that.