CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

So, based on the fact that you can see that I play the shit out of the game, you now know that I'm not just blindly hating because "Fuck Halo 5". I just feel like it could be better man.

Same. I agree wholeheartedly it could be better... and I think it will be. I also think we can play a huge part in that.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Not denying that at all - I agree.

fine, no need to prod any further, I'll agree to disagree.

Yes, that was the consensus from the discussion that Josh Holmes referenced. Yes, later on in an actual poll the results reflected another consensus and a change was made in respect of those results.

There could be plenty of reasons as to why the results differed - by no means is that proof of wrong doing or deception.

That's fair enough, but at least understand that this was never properly communicated to us by 343 which is what has caused this misconception. Moving on, it would be great if 343 could better communicate their plans for the game and what feedback they are taking into account so that we're not just left here swinging in the dark hoping to hit something.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Same. I agree wholeheartedly it could be better... and I think it will be. I also think we can play a huge part in that.

I hope so. I really do. I'm really looking forward to post-HWC (and the actual tourney OBVIOUSLY) settings talk.
  • Upvote (+1) 1

What do you guys think would be an acceptable auto nerf? A range nerf? Spread? Damage?

I would completely redesign how they function.

For the AR I would either:

1. Reduce its accuracy substantially, remove the headshot multiplier and remove its accuracy buff when zoomed, but buff its damage slightly. Decrease the clip size to 30 and maybe even give a melee based benefit (Increased lunge distance, faster melee speed, wider melee angle, take your pick). Practically turns the weapon into a close quarters combat weapon, and only a close quarters combat weapon.

or

2. Increase its accuracy to zoom in values at all times, decrease its recoil and increase its clip size (40 to 50 maybe), but tank its TTK considerably. Remove the headshot multiplier. Turns it into a good all rounder for most ranges, good at suppression, team shooting and mop up kills.

For the SMG I would just remove the headshot multiplier, remove the zoom in accuracy buff, and scale back it's damage slightly. Add a melee oriented benefit and a faster reload.

For the Storm Rifle, I would tone down its body shot damage considerably, but let it shoot longer before overheating. Maybe even reinstate Halo Reach's mechanic where it fires slower over time but becomes more accurate.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

That's fair enough, but at least understand that this was never properly communicated to us by 343 which is what has caused this misconception. Moving on, it would be great if 343 could better communicate their plans for the game and what feedback they are taking into account so that we're not just left here swinging in the dark hoping to hit something.

I know some people aren't going to like this answer, but if we want specifically targeted communication here, then give 343 a reason to come here. I'd love to see content focused on trying to improve the competitiveness of Halo 5 in an organized and concise manner.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I know some people aren't going to like this answer, but if we want specifically targeted communication here, then give 343 a reason to come here. I'd love to see content focused on trying to improve the competitiveness of Halo 5 in an organized and concise manner.

343 also could stand to be less selective in what feedback they read, they need to realize that not everything is sunshine and rainbows, that some players are justifiably agitated, and if that comes across in certain posts, they need to be objective and pay attention to the point being made(IF one is being made, incoherent babbling can be ignored).
  • Upvote (+1) 4

Whilst I agree, I'm not sure how to go about doing this, people want the game to be better, and understandably when there's no response from our feedback it can feel as if we're being ignored and emotions can run high. Us and 343 should be as objective as possible about feedback otherwise no one agrees with anything, and nothing ends up getting changed.

343 also could stand to be less selective in what feedback they read, they need to realize that not everything is sunshine and rainbows, that some players are justifiably agitated, and if that comes across in certain posts, they need to be objective and pay attention to the point being made(IF one is being made, incoherent babbling can be ignored).

No one is going to come here in their free time to sift through countless posts searching for gems and then stay around to be called a liar when they try to communicate/respond to something. Claim "criticism" or demand "thicker skin", but the truth of the matter is if this community wants to demand those attributes of a developer it should exhibit them as well.

I love playing Team Arena and having a teammate hide for the last 2 minutes so he doesn't die and ruin his precious fucking KD. And that same moron betrays me in the middle of the game for no reason. The people that play this game are a nightmare sometimes.

ibjhEZu.jpg

Looks like my meme made it to the top of Reddit. They grow up so fast. A little :beyond: shout out would have been cool though.

ibjhEZu.jpg

Looks like my meme made it to the top of Reddit. They grow up so fast. A little :beyond: shout out would have been cool though.

AKREZZ tried to claim it as his own on waypoint too.

This place arguably has the most knowledgeable people for Halo around. Why do we need to give 343 a reason to come here? It's a company making a damn video game not some kind of collective of divine beings.

Sucessful companies actually look for opportunities to engage their customers and gather feedback.

In fact, if you are a smart business, you actually do the opposite of what you think is right if your customers think it is, because that's how you become successful.

This notion of having to kneel before our divine developer overlords and hope they lend an ear to our feeble requests we spent days drafting needs to stop.

They should have pulled Breakout months ago, yet it took an "incident" for anything to happen.

What is especially confusing to me is that they often take absolutely no time implementing something ( arena breakout on a whim, DLC maps straight into the team arena playlist), but when it turns out to be terrible, it zombies around for weeks or even months before they take it out or modify it.

This makes it pretty clear to me that they don't actually have a plan. Fortunately, plenty of people on here have provided their feedback and often even propose a "plan", of what should be done in detail.

It's 343's mistake to not take our valuable feedback, and not ours to not fit into some ridiculous criteria beforehand.

• Upvote (+1) 2

This place arguably has the most knowledgeable people for Halo around. Why do we need to give 343 a reason to come here? It's a company making a damn video game not some kind of collective of divine beings.

Sucessful companies actually look for opportunities to engage their customers and gather feedback.

In fact, if you are a smart business, you actually do the opposite of what you think is right if your customers think it is, because that's how you become successful.

This notion of having to kneel before our divine developer overlords and hope they lend an ear to our feeble requests we spent days drafting needs to stop.

They should have pulled Breakout months ago, yet it took an "incident" for anything to happen.

What is especially confusing to me is that they often take absolutely no time implementing something ( arena breakout on a whim, DLC maps straight into the team arena playlist), but when it turns out to be terrible, it zombies around for weeks or even months before they take it out or modify it.

This makes it pretty clear to me that they don't actually have a plan. Fortunately, plenty of people on here have provided their feedback and often even propose a "plan", of what should be done in detail.

It's 343's mistake to not take our valuable feedback, and not ours to not fit into some ridiculous criteria beforehand.

What does this argument do to solve the problem? Talk about how YOU think it should be all you want, won't help.

• Downvote (-1) 1

AKREZZ tried to claim it as his own on waypoint too.

Link? I gotta see this.

No one is going to come here in their free time to sift through countless posts searching for gems and then stay around to be called a liar when they try to communicate/respond to something. Claim "criticism" or demand "thicker skin", but the truth of the matter is if this community wants to demand those attributes of a developer it should exhibit them as well.

but you agree with me that this whole issue stems from bad communication, this is usually the reason we are angry with them when the come here(among other stand alone spats), they need to get better at not allowing us to misconstrue their intent, if it's currently being misconstrued. If 343 is going to ask of us to not be angry with them as much, we get to ask of 343 to stop giving us reasons to be angry with them as much as we are.
  • Upvote (+1) 1

What does this argument do to solve the problem? Talk about how YOU think it should be all you want, won't help.

I bought their game so they should be listening to me. Sure, not exclusively only to me specifically, but when you ignore enough of your customers you end up with the shitty population numbers Halo 5 currently has.

When has any business ever failed because they listened to the feedback of their customers too much?

• Upvote (+1) 1

but you agree with me that this whole issue stems from bad communication, this is usually the reason we are angry with them when the come here(among other stand alone spats), they need to get better at not allowing us to misconstrue their intent, if it's currently being misconstrued. If 343 is going to ask of us to not be angry with them as much, we get to ask of 343 to stop giving us reasons to be angry with them as much as we are.

I think poor communication contributed to it, but is not the sole contributor.

At the end of the day you get to choose one:

1) Casual discussion/feedback.

2) Carefully structured and approved marketing beats.

There are pros and cons to each.

I bought their game so they should be listening to me. Sure, not exclusively only to me specifically, but when you ignore enough of your customers you end up with the shitty population numbers Halo 5 currently has.

When has any business ever failed because they listened to the feedback of their customers too much?

You really want to look at what 343 has done post launch and say they aren't listening?

They already have a reason we represent a major demographic of the community, one that they've implicitly attempted to cater for. When it comes to 'improving' Halo 5's competetive focus, this thread alone has had more positive input then anywhere else on the internet, by a long shot.

This is a general thread, there's a lot of garbage and that's part of it's nature, but that doesnt stop josh & co from browsing the forums and occasionally updating us. It apparently does stop them from consistently interacting with us as a community however, and that is a major issue in itself. As a devs, josh, quinn, and the pro team all know the shit that happens on forums, it's their perogative to either deal with it for the sake of positive discussion, or blow us off lurk and avoid us.

We have good people here, with good questions and good answers. It's up to them if they wanna join in or not..