CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

The argument we shouldn't be having isn't

"Why is Radar in competitive play, it hasn't been for YEARS!!!!!???"

The discussion should be ongoing about how we can improve Halo 5 to be as competitive out of the box as possible, something that we all want very much.

Better arguments could include:

• Removing Radar from 4v4, 2v2 Arena Gameplay, keeping it in Warzone and other modes
  • Altering Radar to focus on more competitive aspects. Only appearing while shooting, or only appearing when sprinting/thrusting, etc.

There are plenty of other things that people could suggest but circle-jerking about radar or comparing our Tournament Settings to how it was managed in the past isn't going to do anything.

Pinning it as a lie is extremely assumption-based and malicious. Could have been misinformation, withholding of information by another person, or Josh just trying to clear the air about situation. People are just trying to take something and pounce on him for it. Go after the HCS team if you want but calling him a liar is unnecessary.

First of all, as I keep qualifying and as people apparently just love to keep ignoring, I said it was a lie either by him or by someone informing him - the confidence with which it was stated in no way implies it was a "misunderstanding". It was a straight-up, positivist claim that something had been done, and it had not.

Hardly out of context. You were referring to Radars role in increasing predictability due to Halo 5's harsh movement mechanics. That is the reason that people defend Radar in current competitive play.

Yeah, I was referring to a piece of irony operating inside of a complete clusterfuck. That's not an endorsement.

As I just said, we had a designated person to 'hash out' those issues. MLG in 2, 3, Reach, and Ghost appointed for H4 before it was removed from the circuit. We would NOT have a designated person for H5 that everyone would agree with.

Every single person in the known universe agreed with taking radar out of competitive Halo from 2001-2015

There was no civil war over making H2 "human weapons only" or "no duals". Stop pretending like there would be one today. 

• Upvote (+1) 4

I guess you're both asking me the same question so I will say this.

Do we want a game that is fun to play and fun/intense to watch

OR

Expect something that will never EVER happen?

Reality is Halo will never go back. It's time to accept it, let it go. Halo 5 is great, the momentum is great, let's just try to make the best experience possible while being realistic here, because I am being realistic about it now. Classic Halo is done, Bungie won. They wanted to commit Halo suicide and they succeeded. Let's support HCS and 343 as much as possible to make their Halo's bigger, better, and stronger. That is what we should be doing

Wanting autos nerfed, or easier yet, removed from the "competitive" playlist is NOWHERE near impossible. Wanting rifles to be either more difficult, or easier yet, removed from the "competitive" playlist is, you guessed it, NOWHERE near impossible. You don't think Halo can go back at all? Good for ducking you. You want to give up? Good for fucking you. But I don't and others don't. 343 patched out super sliding yet adjusting weapons is just "too much"? You go on and play and enjoy yourself. That's not gonna stop people from trying to improve the game.

Ice cream is fucking great on it's own right? No need to change anything right? But if you put chocolate syrup on it or and topping you choose does it make it better? Things can be improved. Always.

• Upvote (+1) 1

SnZibB2.png

ztuAY2D.png

Somehow we go from dialogue to polls. I don't know how this interaction on Team Beyond, which directly lead to the adjustment of tournament settings leads you guys to say some of the things you have.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Just seems like the devs can never win on this one.

Because the devs are trying to blend arena shooter with modern military mechanics and it ISN'T working
  • Upvote (+1) 4
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Because the devs are trying to blend arena shooter with modern military mechanics and it ISN'T working

Oh another "Halo of Duty" kid. Yawn.
  • Downvote (-1) 10

Oh gee, another condescending Waypointer.

Think I fielded about 50 of you yesterday, please don't give me more reason to blow my brains out

• Upvote (+1) 2

There was no civil war over making H2 "human weapons only" or "no duals". Stop pretending like there would be one today. 

Yes but that was a much simpler change. Flipping a switch may work if you want to remove Radar and AR Starts, but what about all the other "controversial" settings. What is the standard for those when they have to be altered in Forge or specific Custom Game options?

The argument we shouldn't be having isn't

"Why is Radar in competitive play, it hasn't been for YEARS!!!!!???"

The discussion should be ongoing about how we can improve Halo 5 to be as competitive out of the box as possible, something that we all want very much.

Better arguments could include:

• Removing Radar from 4v4, 2v2 Arena Gameplay, keeping it in Warzone and other modes
  • Altering Radar to focus on more competitive aspects. Only appearing while shooting, or only appearing when sprinting/thrusting, etc.
There are plenty of other things that people could suggest but circle-jerking about radar or comparing our Tournament Settings to how it was managed in the past isn't going to do anything.
If, after testing, the game plays worse without radar by some form of demonic wizardry, then the radar should ONLY show people physically sprinting and blogging else. Especially not shooting.
  • Upvote (+1) 1

@@heytred Heytred After Snakebite's comment (God bless him for that), Saucey ran a poll like 2 hours later then pretty much the next day, 343 removed it. It sure looks like Saucey's poll strongly encouraged 343 to remove it.

• Upvote (+1) 2

And there it is, my monthly does of the 'modern military mechanics' buzzword. Was afraid I might miss it.

No but seriously, that is as generic as it gets considering the franchises that you are referring to not only weren't the ones who created those features, but they behave in entirely different ways than how Halo implements them.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Way to trivialize a huge problem with Halo today. 

I don't think it's a coincidence that right when Bungie went after the CoD crowd with sprint and other things the population starting declining rapidly. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

If, after testing, the game plays worse without radar by some form of demonic wizardry, then the radar should ONLY show people physically sprinting and blogging else. Especially not shooting.

If by "demonic wizardry" you mean rigorous playtesting then you might be getting somewhere

We're in the H5 thread, bro. Also every game with sprint is COD. YAAAAAWWWNN.

You are making a great impression on your first day. Please, enlighten me on why sprint is a better mechanic in Halo than increased walking speed.

Yes but that was a much simpler change. Flipping a switch may work if you want to remove Radar and AR Starts, but what about all the other "controversial" settings. What is the standard for those when they have to be altered in Forge or specific Custom Game options?

Yeah, it was such a huge problem in H4, too... ...

If by "demonic wizardry" you mean rigorous playtesting then you might be getting somewhere

The storm rifle was also play tested. AND SO WAS OVERGROWTH. Tell me more about how the play testing makes something better.
  • Upvote (+1) 8

Way to trivialize a huge problem with Halo today.

I don't think it's a coincidence that right when Bungie went after the CoD crowd with sprint and other things the population starting declining rapidly.

It is trivial.
  • Downvote (-1) 4

And there it is, my monthly does of the 'modern military mechanics' buzzword. Was afraid I might miss it.

No but seriously, that is as generic as it gets considering the franchises that you are referring to not only weren't the ones who created those features, but they behave in entirely different ways than how Halo implements them.

Sprint. Thrust. Clamber. Modern military shooters are adopting these traits yes?

Hardly a buzzword but I appreciate the condescending tone

The point is Halo is adopting elements from modern shooters that 343 thinks will work with the game and on paper they might but in practice don't. Sprint will never work, clamber will never work, thruster most certainly will not work with how stunted it is.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Yeah, it was such a huge problem in H4, too... ...

because we had an appointed leader in Ghost. If MLG hadn't selected him to create v1 before dropping H4 it would have been a nightmare. Not everyone agreed with him, but he took everyones feedback into account, something niche groups like Gold Pro would not do for the communities wide array of opinions.

And H4 was the bumpiest road in terms of settings, from AGL Brad insulting Ghost and his settings publicly over Twitter, to late in the life cycle where Proverb and Iron Gaming were placing a Single Sniper in Pit Long Hall.

It is trivial.

Would Valve adding sprint into Counter Strike be trivial? Would the devs making the next Unreal Tournament putting sprint or clamber in be considered trivial? 

• Upvote (+1) 2

The storm rifle was also play tested. AND SO WAS OVERGROWTH. Tell me more about how the play testing makes something better.

Isn't it common sense that playtesting improves game mechanics?