CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

Oh so you were playing Infection, Oddball, KOTH, had a fully functional Theater mode, a file share, and a campaign on Normal that lasted more than 4 hours a month after launch? Hm, well if you weren't, at least you had Warzone, right?

Those are eventually coming FOR FREE man. You gotta understand that all this content is FREE. Did I mention it's FREE?

• Upvote (+1) 1

Are you actually trying to say H5's campaign is only 4 hours long?

On normal he said, which is true. 

343 failed to realize that for a sustain plan to work, you first need a big enough population to sustain. Tons of people have quit playing Halo and a map here and there isn't going to bring them back. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Those are eventually coming FOR FREE man. You gotta understand that all this content is FREE. Did I mention it's FREE?

Frankie SAID it required 60fps. We discovered that was bullshit when the e3 showing of h5 routinely dropped to 40fps and time didn't slow down. I'm willing to bet they could've made it 30fps split screen if they wanted.

well you remember what Phil spencer said, "not many people play splitscreen anymore". If I was wearing a tinfoil hat id say they cut it to encourage the sale of more consoles...

That's a little bit too chemtrails for me. E3 builds are almost always radically different from release builds. They are often running off a PC with way more horsepower than a console, and even if they aren't they are carefully pruned to show only the parts of the game that work. Plus, optimization is generally the last thing done before release. As for cutting split screen to sell more consoles... I'm pretty sure Microsoft knows that the marketing point of "Xbox is the console to get if you want to have friends over to game" probably sells more consoles than trying to force it.

If management had some evil plan to cut split screen, they never would have announced it. They probably had it working very early on and later realized that they couldn't make it stable enough across the board to be worth releasing. Hell, they might have tried 30fps and not been able to do it. The 30fps animations in campaign make it pretty obvious that the game is pushing the console to the limit. Remember that split screen isn't just 2x the graphics, it's 2x everything - physics, AI, etc.

Criticism is good, but I see people going from "I'm not satisfied with this game and think it should be better" to "343 is hitler and they're doing all of this on purpose" at the drop of a hat. Let's not be a Reddit-esque lynch mob. We're better than that as a community.

I don't know the exact number, but it's the shortest out there if you don't include ODST, at least by my personal play. And with everything else missing from the game not part of the sustain plan, it was an irritating experience.

It really isn't.

On normal he said, which is true.

Skip every cutscene and run past half the encounters then maybe.

343 failed to realize that for a sustain plan to work, you first need a big enough population to sustain. Tons of people have quit playing Halo and a map here and there isn't going to bring them back. 

The problem with sustaining is that you're essentially screwing your fanbase over at an attempt to keep them coming back. But why would they come back when they know they're only getting a small chunk of what they want every so often? Some of it isn't even permanent.

As some people said before, 343's management needs fixed or they need to hire a brand new management team.

Oh so you were playing Infection, Oddball, KOTH, had a fully functional Theater mode, a file share, and a campaign on Normal that lasted more than 4 hours a month after launch? Hm, well if you weren't, at least you had Warzone, right?

Are we gonna act like infection was somehow on Halo 3 MM at launch? Anyways 3 game modes and a file browser is the defining content difference between Halo 3 and Halo 5?

And lmao at the campaign length comment, lets not act like somehow all previous Halo's were at least double the size. They're all comparable and can be completed in just the same amount of time, the addition of 3 AI especially on normal just makes it easier. I've seen people beat Halo 3 in 1 hour, in fact people can beat Halo 3 in a shorter amount of time than the record of Halo 5.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Are we gonna act like infection was somehow on Halo 3 MM at launch? Anyways 3 game modes and a file browser is the defining content difference between Halo 3 and Halo 5. 

And lmao at the campaign length comment, lets not act like somehow all previous Halo's were at least double the size. They're all comparable and can be completed in just the same amount of time, the addition of 3 AI especially on normal just makes it easier. I've seen people beat Halo 3 in 1 hour, in fact people can beat Halo 3 in a shorter amount of time than the record of Halo 5.

Halo 3's customs were huge; don't try to act like MM was Halo 3's biggest draw, because we all know that's just disingenuous.

And sure, when you speedrun Halo 3, the shortest OG one. And yet, it still is longer when you play it straight as the developer's intended. We also didn't split missions up like Halo 5 did into multiple missions to increase mission length.

• Upvote (+1) 4

I UNDERSTAND. 343 IS MADE OF VEGETABLES.

that explains why @@Cursed Lemon hates them so much, fruits and vegetables have been fighting for centuries.

Are we gonna act like infection was somehow on Halo 3 MM at launch? Anyways 3 game modes and a file browser is the defining content difference between Halo 3 and Halo 5. 

Infection was available to play in Customs from day 1, along with Forge, and that's all that matters since Infection in customs is the proper way to enjoy it rather than the Infection games in MM that are designed to last as short as possible. I didn't care about Infection in MM then and I don't care about it now. For Infection, what matters is customs. Where are my 16-player lobbies that people recruited for in post-game MM lobbies? Where are my 30 minute long Fat Kid games?

Whoever cares about Infection in MM isn't doing it right.

• Upvote (+1) 6

Halo 3's customs were huge; don't try to act like MM was Halo 3's biggest draw, because we all know that's just disingenuous.

And sure, when you speedrun Halo 3, the shortest OG one. And yet, it still is longer when you play it straight as the developer's intended. We also didn't split missions up like Halo 5 did into multiple missions to increase mission length.

I've played Halo 3 on easy when it came out and stopped, when the MCC came out I completed Halo 3 on legendary, without speed running in roughly 5-6 hours. The difference between campaign lengths is not massive at all, implying that is disingenuous. 

Also I won't bother debating customs etc... because I'll admit, I'm not exactly knowledgable in that category.

So this is what this thread has become? A group of people continuously bashing Halo 5 and another group advocating, all  in the midst of much sarcasm and cynicism?

No wonder many people moved on to the HWC thread and don't comment here anymore.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 11

Frankie SAID it required 60fps. We discovered that was bullshit when the e3 showing of h5 routinely dropped to 40fps and time didn't slow down. I'm willing to bet they could've made it 30fps split screen if they wanted.

I never said it slowed down actual time, I'm saying it slowed down the in-game timer which as a result messed with multi-kill timers. Christ knows what other effects it had.

So this is what this thread has become? A group of people continuously bashing Halo 5 and another group advocating, all  in the midst of much sarcasm and cynicism?
No wonder many people moved on to the HWC thread and don't comment here anymore.
Because this post is any better than the rest :/
  • Upvote (+1) 3

And this thread is not complete without the guy saying this thread sucks and acting superior....

Woo.

It's called having a discussion fam. Not everybody wants to talk about the HWC all the time.

• Upvote (+1) 7

eh, there were a lot of people playing halo 3 mp, I wouldn't say it was necessarily being beat by other modes in terms of player count.

It really isn't.

Skip every cutscene and run past half the encounters then maybe.

It only took me six and a bit on heroic and I took my time so I could easily see it being done in 4 on normal.

• Upvote (+1) 1

eh, there were a lot of people playing halo 3 mp, I wouldn't say it was necessarily being beat by other modes in terms of player count.

You know what I mean. Customs in Halo 3 were a HUGE part of it's success. I spent more time in customs games than matchmaking for sure.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Infection was available to play in Customs from day 1, along with Forge, and that's all that matters since Infection in customs is the proper way to enjoy it rather than the Infection games in MM that are designed to last as short as possible. I didn't care about Infection in MM then and I don't care about it now. For Infection, what matters is customs. Where are my 16-player lobbies that people recruited for in post-game MM lobbies? Where are my 30 minute long Fat Kid games?

Whoever cares about Infection in MM isn't doing it right.

True, customs may have had more weight in Halo 3, but are we just gonna act like Halo 5's forge is somehow not leaps and bounds ahead of what we had in H3? And its only going up from this point with additions in almost every patch. 

Did you see that ODST cinematic some one created in H5 forge? http://i.imgur.com/30WBTnf.gifv

• Downvote (-1) 1

True, customs may have had more weight in Halo 3, but are we just gonna act like Halo 5's forge is somehow not leaps and bounds ahead of what we had in H3? And its only going up from this point with additions in almost every patch. 

Did you see that ODST cinematic some one created in H5 forge? http://i.imgur.com/30WBTnf.gifv

Nobody is arguing that Halo 5's forge sucks; it's the best forge we ever had.

Without more gametypes for customs though, forge is stunted.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Did you see that ODST cinematic some one created in H5 forge? http://i.imgur.com/30WBTnf.gifv

But there's no thriving custom community to enjoy the fruits of h5's forge. Mainly due to the fact that 343 neglected to supply the basic features needed to develop that community.

Nobody is arguing that Halo 5's forge sucks; it's the best forge we ever had.

Without more gametypes for customs though, forge is stunted.

People are arguing that there is a lack of content in every feature we've had in previous Halo's. Being disingenuous by exaggerating Halo 5's campaign length, and ignoring forge improvements because it wasn't day 1. I'll agree on the customs in MM side though, but it will only go uphill from here, at a larger rate than any other halo game.