CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

"Visuals" =! art? Okay, fine.

How can you say that it was widely criticized if people didn't even widely know it was a thing until someone put out the technical details to confirm it?

Regardless, are you really going to try to claim that the backlash over the sub-HD resolution is in any way, shape, or form even remotely close to the backlash over no split screen?

We don't take kindly to reasonable compromise around these parts, mister.

I can see visuals being apart of art. Def said that but not what I meant. Did I say it was widely criticized? I might have, it was certainly well known in enthusiast sites like GT, Engadet and GAF. Which is why I made the response to your empty room post referring to us being similar and not being an empty room.

And no, I wouldn't say it was anywhere near the backlash. If you go back to the conversation I was just adding some perspective to whoever tried to say H3 handled the next gen transition better than Halo 5 did, when it clearly stumbled as well. Albeit, not as hard.

I will say this though, after CoD4 released, I played significantly less Halo 3 because switching from 60 to 30fps got my physically ill. It was also a lot muddier.

Frankie SAID it required 60fps. We discovered that was bullshit when the e3 showing of h5 routinely dropped to 40fps and time didn't slow down. I'm willing to bet they could've made it 30fps split screen if they wanted.

well you remember what Phil spencer said, "not many people play splitscreen anymore". If I was wearing a tinfoil hat id say they cut it to encourage the sale of more consoles...
  • Upvote (+1) 7

well you remember what Phil spencer said, "not many people play splitscreen anymore". If I was wearing a tinfoil hat id say they cut it to encourage the sale of more consoles...

Accidentally up voted

Damn, you got me this time :kappa:

• Upvote (+1) 1

Accidentally up voted

Damn, you got me this time :kappa:

I knew it. Just to be clear I'm definitely not 100% on that, I'm more willing to bet that 343 didn't have the time to do it, or the frame rate permitted it, I have very little evidence besides that quote to support the claim that they cut it for monetary gain.
  • Upvote (+1) 1

$10 if 30 fps split was a thing people would complain 343 couldn't make it 60 and its dumb they even did it

• Upvote (+1) 7

Well they could have made it 30 for split, all the animations run at 30 fps outside of 10 meters anyway. 

I can see visuals being apart of art. Def said that but not what I meant. Did I say it was widely criticized? I might have, it was certainly well known in enthusiast sites like GT, Engadet and GAF. Which is why I made the response to your empty room post referring to us being similar and not being an empty room.

And no, I wouldn't say it was anywhere near the backlash. If you go back to the conversation I was just adding some perspective to whoever tried to say H3 handles the next gem transition better than Halo 5 did, when it clearly stumbled as well. Albeit, not as hard.

I will say this though, after CoD4 released, I played significantly less Halo 3 because switching from 60 to 30fps got my physically ill. It was also a lot muddier.

30 FPS may be a deal-breaker for you, and that's perfectly fine, but in a discussion about developer priorities, the lack of split screen is a far greater sin as it pertains to what many, many people look for in a Halo game. The Halo 3 comparison was made to show that Bungie still managed to include 97% of  the features from the previous Halo games, plus two unprecedented features for a console shooter, all on a new console and in the same time frame as 343 had with Halo 5. And hell, theater worked better back then than it does today!

Was Warzone a far more ambitious project than both the original theater and forge put together? I have my doubts. All I know is that Warzone should've been what got released after launch - it would've been a far greater "good faith" measure.

$10 if 30 fps split was a thing people would complain 343 couldn't make it 60 and its dumb they even did it

Sure, maybe if we received the same cryptic communication as we do now about the development process.

But if before Halo 5's details had dropped, 343 threw out a poll saying "we can do 60FPS but we have to axe split screen", what do you think the response would've been?

• Upvote (+1) 4

Did anyone say this during MCC? Can we be real here, no one would complain about 30fps split screen

• Upvote (+1) 1

Also just to be clear, Halo 5 has been recorded to drop to 810p to maintain 60fps. 

I'm all for fps over resolution but it is kinda sad how weak this generation of consoles are. 

• Upvote (+1) 6

Oh my god, it's been so long since I've been able to use a keyboard on this damn website. Feels so good.

30FPS is way less of an issue than no split screen. Anyone saying otherwise has their priorities messed up. Yes, it sucks it's not 60, but you can still play the game, AND a friend can.

Also, where's this idea that a game has to be one framerate at all times. If the engine is built for it, a game can support different framerates. Splitscreen doesn't matter in a game if you're playing solo and getting 60FPS because it's still not rendering multiple screens.

• Upvote (+1) 1

What? Halo 5's playlist management is great. Your issue might be with lack of gametypes but for what we have they did a stellar job.

How can you think this? The game launched with no doubles, team snipers, big team, etc. Halo 5 had and still has one of the worst playlist variety of any Halo game, ever.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Oh my god, it's been so long since I've been able to use a keyboard on this damn website. Feels so good.

30FPS is way less of an issue than no split screen. Anyone saying otherwise has their priorities messed up. Yes, it sucks it's not 60, but you can still play the game, AND a friend can.

Also, where's this idea that a game has to be one framerate at all times. If the engine is built for it, a game can support different framerates. Splitscreen doesn't matter in a game if you're playing solo and getting 60FPS because it's still not rendering multiple screens.

This is a hard thing to comment on because the right answer depends entirely on your own personal situation. To me 60 FPS > Split screen any day of the week. That might be reversed if you asked me that same question 10 years ago when I had the basement LANs and such every weekend or all summer. The perfect solution is locked 60 FPS full screen and locked 30 split screen but if that isn't available 343 has to sit down and decide if more people play solo or with another person on their screen. Just from playing online since 2004 I can safely say that, out of online players, solo screen wins by a landslide and would be who I catered to if I had to make the choice.

• Upvote (+1) 2

The fact that it has to be a choice tells you all you need to know about this current console generation.

This is a hard thing to comment on because the right answer depends entirely on your own personal situation. To me 60 FPS > Split screen any day of the week. That might be reversed if you asked me that same question 10 years ago when I had the basement LANs and such every weekend or all summer. The perfect solution is locked 60 FPS full screen and locked 30 split screen but if that isn't available 343 has to sit down and decide if more people play solo or with another person on their screen. Just from playing online since 2004 I can safely say that, out of online players, solo screen wins by a landslide and would be who I catered to if I had to make the choice.

Meh. For me, its a matter of who loses less. You can still play a game at 30 FPS, but at 60 FPS, you can't play with anyone else. Splitscreen will always win for me.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Okay so now we're shifting the argument to anecdotal opinions, so I'm out.

Clarify whether you believe it is universally unacceptable or whether it is what you deem as unacceptable.

I'm trying to explain why there are certain things that should NOT be complained about, but there are things that I deem unacceptable. The only difference is that I don't state those thoughts as if they are law.

The point being that I don't care what went on at 343. All I know is that this Halo game, like Halo 4 and MCC, fell tragically low on content.

Excuses don't matter when most of your playerbase moved on in the first month.

• Upvote (+1) 7

The point being that I don't care what went on at 343. All I know is that this Halo game, like Halo 4 and MCC, fell tragically low on content.

But Warzone is so innovative and never gets boring! 

You cant possibly be serious and expect each game to one up the previous game in content? Especially with the way AAA games are being developed these days (way more expensive and time consuming).

Because by 1 month after release, there was just as much content in Halo 5 as there was in Halo 3. I'm assuming you're talking from a Firefight POV? Were getting that soon as well. Fact is we are getting more content from 343 post launch (for free) than we have ever gotten from Bungie.

• Downvote (-1) 2

Great way to put it.

Frankly, I don't care what went on in the studio. Here's what matters.

Bungie, with 3 years, delivered the most content filled game I've ever seen on a console and halo 3 was the most successful online game for a video game console. Ever.

343 with 3 years delivered dick bumpkiss. We have 3 gametypes, the worst halo campaign history, the smallest playlist selection for MM (which isn't even a time consuming process to set up), no BTB maps, the worst theatre mode, and shit all for actual features eg. File browser, etc.

That's all I need to know. One studio delivered a game that defined a console generation. The other delivered a game that realistically, probably shrunk the halo player base down even further judging off the numbers. That's all that matters.

• Upvote (+1) 9

Because by 1 month after release, there was just as much content in Halo 5 as there was in Halo 3.

Oh so you were playing Infection, Oddball, KOTH, had a fully functional Theater mode, a file share, and a campaign on Normal that lasted more than 4 hours a month after launch? Hm, well if you weren't, at least you had Warzone, right?

• Upvote (+1) 6

Because by 1 month after release, there was just as much content in Halo 5 as there was in Halo 3.

Well that's not true.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Oh so you were playing Infection, Oddball, KOTH, had a fully functional Theater mode, a file share, and a campaign on Normal that lasted more than 4 hours a month after launch? Hm, well if you weren't, at least you had Warzone, right?

Are you actually trying to say H5's campaign is only 4 hours long?

Great way to put it.

Frankly, I don't care what went on in the studio. Here's what matters.

Bungie, with 3 years, delivered the most content filled game I've ever seen on a console and halo 3 was the most successful online game for a video game console. Ever.

343 with 3 years delivered dick bumpkiss. We have 3 gametypes, the worst halo campaign history, the smallest playlist selection for MM (which isn't even a time consuming process to set up), no BTB maps, the worst theatre mode, and shit all for actual features eg. File browser, etc.

That's all I need to know. One studio delivered a game that defined a console generation. The other delivered a game that realistically, probably shrunk the halo player base down even further judging off the numbers. That's all that matters.

Agree 100%. I don't blame the workers, but he management needs to change.

Also @, it's not "dick buttkiss" you fucking moron. Look at the bolded.

• Upvote (+1) 2

You cant possibly be serious and expect each game to one up the previous game in content? Especially with the way AAA games are being developed these days (way more expensive and time consuming).

I don't want to be that guy, but AAA games are developed like this these days because consumers allowed them to and let them get away with it. Games should be completed upon release instead of being released in a basic vanilla state that gets finished over time with updates and, in some cases, paid DLC.

Also there's so much stuff Halo 3 had upon release that Halo 5 didn't have in a month. Where was campaign theater? Where was file share? Where were all the game types and playlists? Forge? They weren't there, so it's safe to say that's an inaccurate statement. Some of these features are still lacking and/or aren't there.

Accepting it and encouraging it only makes it worse, in my opinion.

• Upvote (+1) 5

Are you actually trying to say H5's campaign is only 4 hours long?

I don't know the exact number, but it's the shortest out there if you don't include ODST, at least by my personal play. And with everything else missing from the game not part of the sustain plan, it was an irritating experience.

• Upvote (+1) 1