CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

I LOVE that about it. I like how simple and plain it is. Also, its BIG. H5 pistol is so underwhelming just in terms of design and sound to the CE pistol.

I mean it looks cool but it somehow looks worse than the original. I don't see why they went with a high-res and updated model for the H2 BR and then 180'd that and used a low-res model for the CE Pistol.

• Upvote (+1) 1

You can say that it "should've been in at launch" based on the idea that the content was available in previous Halo games, but the fact of the matter is that the reason it wasn't there at launch is so much more complicated than that, and can be justified in a handful of ways.

If we're speaking in terms of development time, developing a new engine from the ground up, and deadlines, to name a few, then yes I can see that being justifiable to a certain degree. I just don't believe a sustain plan is the right way to go about it, but that's just me, I guess. I'm not a developer and I'm more than certain it's harder to do than it sounds, but it's still something that bothers me a bit.

I know I'm beating a dead horse by bringing up the whole "sustain" thing, but that alone did make me feel a bit cynical about the whole ordeal.

I mean it looks cool but it somehow looks worse than the original. I don't see why they went with a high-res and updated model for the H2 BR and then 180'd that and used a low-res model for the CE Pistol.

I'm not sure, they seemed dead-set on it being THE CE pistol. Too bad they forgot that there was no bullet magnetism on it. :(

• Upvote (+1) 1

The only justifiable piece of content is Forge because it is objectively the best forge in Halo and when I asked Tom French about it he went over the entire process for how pieces are created, how the controls were changed, what they do to minimize resources needed for interactive pieces, etc. THAT is understandable.

Tom French is a wonderful person.

• Upvote (+1) 3

I'm not sure, they seemed dead-set on it being THE CE pistol. Too bad they forgot that there was no bullet magnetism on it. :(

It actually had a lot of magnetism in CE. It was just implemented not to prioritize headshots back then. Player movement also affected the bullet's path.

Since the original pistol's bullets were pretty much hit-scan within the range of 33 meters/game world units (it instantly traveled 33 meters on the same frame the gun fired), they actually could have made the CE pistol very close to the original, even with hitscan, just by altering its bullet magnetism and making it so player movement affects the shot's trajectory. 

As someone who was looking forward to the CE Pistol being true to it's original form as a skillful utility weapon and not this "Warzone power weapon", I can say it's not even just a tiny bit close to the original thing.

I started up a custom with it, and put my cross hair on the very edge of the player and every bullet hit. I quit out and have no real desire to use it or test it out any further.

• Upvote (+1) 2

As someone who was looking forward to the CE Pistol being true to it's original form as a skillful utility weapon and not this "Warzone power weapon", I can say it's not even just a tiny bit close to the original thing.

I started up a custom with it, and put my cross hair on the very edge of the player and every bullet hit. I quit out and have no real desire to use it or test it out any further.

Wow, that's one hell of a slap to the face to those who wanted and expected the CE Pistol to actually work like the CE Pistol. Once I saw that it was confirmed to be hitscan, I expected nothing but a downward spiral from there. Didn't know it was that bad, though.

It actually had a lot of magnetism in CE. It was just implemented not to prioritize headshots back then. Player movement also affected the bullet's path.

CE magnum's bullet magnetism scales with distance. Up close you won't hit shit unless you're dead on, but across HEH and out to the edges of the magnum's red reticule range, it can get pretty generous. One day I'll drag both my original Xbox and my XB1 out and do a thorough test as a definitive resource for Halo's bullet behavior. 

Anyway...yes, I figured this was too good to be true, but I guess that's the second time 343 fooled me into getting excited about something.

• Upvote (+1) 5

The gun feels very random. Sometimes i get incredible perfects, other times i need 7 shot to iill someone. Feels very weird and inconsistent, like if you were shooting a Reach Vanilla DMR.

Sounds a lot like the MCC pistol.

Ok so let's run down the "halo ce pistol"

Hitscan(would just like to say I called this months ago)

Bullet trails

Not momentum based

Greater magnetism and aim assist

actually has bloom (unlike the original)

Why did they even bother...

• Upvote (+1) 3

Having @ on your team isn't helping much either :kappa:

I did the best though nerd.

Bananas are also berries. But not all berries are berries. Some berries are also considered fruit. Also vegetables are a lie.

yes, vegetables are lies.

So is the game screwed up for everyone now too? I can't do anything with reqs. Player emblems don't show up pre game. No end game details.

Me and some friends ran through a bunch of the wacky customs on The343Favorites, it was a pretty fun time. Forge is incredible in this game.

If this game had a fun BTB experience with proper vehicular gameplay (meaning warthogs that dont get destroyed by one clip from a DMR and a proper spartan laser that kills vehicles in one hit) then it'd be a really nice and complete Halo experience for me.

Just remembered I'm still clearing silvers and CE Pistol is Mythic. FUCK.

Same. :( All I want is freaking Mark IV but it's Legendary.

If we're speaking in terms of development time, developing a new engine from the ground up, and deadlines, to name a few, then yes I can see that being justifiable to a certain degree. I just don't believe a sustain plan is the right way to go about it, but that's just me, I guess. I'm not a developer and I'm more than certain it's harder to do than it sounds, but it's still something that bothers me a bit.

I know I'm beating a dead horse by bringing up the whole "sustain" thing, but that alone did make me feel a bit cynical about the whole ordeal.

What ISN'T is getting objectively half a game at launch. We couldn't even add an option for TEAM PLAY in custom game settings at launch, on top of no oddball, assault, grifball, infection, etc...These are staples of Halo and something the community plays A LOT. No excuses. Maybe if they didn't design so many resources for a game mode that has the lowest playlist population and got taken out of the HCS rather quick, we could've have those modes in at launch :P

Development time & developing for a new console is just one (albeit a major factor) reason for your supposed 'cut content'

@ I agree wholeheartedly that Breakout was a terrible misallocation of development resources, and is one my larger gripes with how certain members of 343 approached developing Arena. 

However, there are still tons of additional factors other than those two that explain why there was a "limited" amount of content at launch. It is NOT 343 "holding back content", that I can say for sure.

You have to change your perspective away from a player who has played 5+ Halo games with strongly varying quantities of content to that of 343's; if you can grasp what their pipeline and development process is like (which none of us can truly do without being in the studio), then you can start to actually complain about the things that really should be in the game by now.

• Downvote (-1) 1

H:CEA, MCC and now Halo 5. Three games and 343 still didn't understand how to replicate the feel of the CE magnum. I am not even surprised anymore.

What I am surprised about is hardcore H1 fans at 343 like Ghost and Bravo aren't all over these intricacies.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I don't know why the CE Pistol is a REQ 6 in Warzone...

I could pull out a Lifghtrifle that is REQ 4 that is easier / can shoot way farther.

Or for REQ 6 I could call in a...

A Banshee, Sniper, Tank etc.

Hell its a slap in the face since the Whispered Truth is a REQ 5 that is a two shot, unlimited speed boost and easier to use.

CE Pistol should be REQ 2 or a loadout weapon

I don't know why the CE Pistol is a REQ 6 in Warzone...

I could pull out a Lifghtrifle that is REQ 4 that is easier / can shoot way farther.

Or for REQ 6 I could call in a...

A Banshee, Sniper, Tank etc.

Hell its a slap in the face since the Whispered Truth is a REQ 5 that is a two shot, unlimited speed boost and easier to use.

CE Pistol should be REQ 2 or a loadout weapon

CE pistol gives you speed boost too. 

So instead of making the CE pistol difficult they made it inconsistent/random? #weback