CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

That's like telling me to explain the technical reasons why splitscreen isn't in the game. Idk! All I know is that they fucked the aiming.

This is the best explanation I've seen:

http://xim4.com/community/index.php?topic=42461.0

Which I posted and quoted on the last page.

*You're

That's a fantastic explanation of what the aiming feels like and why it's an issue.

• Upvote (+1) 1

That's like telling me to explain the technical reasons why splitscreen isn't in the game. Idk! All I know is that they fucked the aiming. 

This is the best explanation I've seen: 

Which I posted and quoted on the last page. 

See I appreciate the science now that someone actually provides it. We can talk about what they changed or how to change it back, but still need to prove what makes it objectively worse outside of the 'it's different than other Halo's' argument.

And even then there will be Pros and Cons to both sides. Not really trying to get in the argument since it doesn't affect me, I'm just trying to prevent this circle jerk of calling the aiming trash when no one is actually explaining why it is so.

• Upvote (+1) 1

How about this.

Going from 0% of the population complaining about the aiming to 15% of the population complaining about the aiming is an objectively negative transition.

There's your semantic bull.

If you don't think people complained about the ridiculously easy aiming in H4 and H2A your wrong.
  • Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 7

Again, that's true to an extent but some people "feel" fine using mouse acceleration, vsync, big screen TVs with huge input delays, etc but that doesn't mean those things are fine.

People in here that play 8 hours a day and claim Halo 5 feels fine is not a surprise to me in the slightest. When Halo 3 came out there were people who said the aiming felt great, same deal here.

I mean I don't disagree but at the same time, just because people feel like it's not fine, doesn't make it not fine either, which is why more options is the best solution, different people want aiming to feel different ways, anyone who's arguing not to have options is being nonsensical.

Who is going to be hurt by 343 adding more aiming options so we can get back to how aiming felt in every other Halo except 3?

I swear, some of you just instantly dive to 343s defense for what to me seems to be literally no reason. Are you really gonna be mad if they cave and add more options?

It's obviously a problem for some of us and it's obviously different than past games. Why constantly jump to 343s defense every time someone brings up an issue that clearly impacts the game for some of us?

this, more options is the best way to go, and with this, an in depth explanation on what's actually different with the aiming compared to the beta.

If you don't think people complained about the ridiculously easy aiming in H4 and H2A your wrong.

Not the point he's making at all. 

It was never about how easy it was to aim, the issue with h2a was how much aim assist there was.
  • Upvote (+1) 1

I mean I don't disagree but at the same time, just because people feel like it's not fine, doesn't make it not fine either, which is why more options is the best solution, different people want aiming to feel different ways, anyone who's arguing not to have options is being nonsensical. this, more options is the best way to go, and with this, an in depth explanation on what's actually different with the aiming compared to the beta.

I really wish we knew! 343 has to tell us.

I'd be very interested to see if given the option of "beta" aiming how many people would keep it the same. I'd wager 100% of pros would go back, no question. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

was there ever an official reason behind the design decision to have radar on in team arena?

Crispy 18m radar allows for great setups. Duh 

• Upvote (+1) 2

Why are we argueing about aiming? Before nobody complained about the aiming and now some people do. That's all you really need to know. There's an issue.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Crispy 18m radar allows for great setups. Duh

it just bugs me. i played last night and was observing how many players use radar as a crutch, which is essentially what it is. Unlike in csgo, the radar there only shows enemies who have been seen by a teammates line of sight, it's basically a communication mechanic for those not on a mic. That design I can respect, but motion-based radar is a damn bad design choice.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Does anyone know if 343 has acknowledged the broken power-up problem in Assault yet?

"343i, I'll make it easy for you. Look at the picture below. Here is a partial map of the stick positions where you jump in turn velocity by 2.34x. For example, if you are aiming at someone and you happen to be at 32336,0 and you accidentally nudge the stick to 32337,0 then your reticle will suddenly jump by over 2 times the speed you were just turning at. Even worse, it'll accelerate to that 2.34x speed over ~1 second. Unless you have incredible muscle memory, how could any gamer reliably know where that point is?"

I wouldn't call that subjectively bad. You also don't seem to know how input lag works. 

Edit: But it's futile arguing this point with you, you will never understand the issue apparently. Like how some people think vsync doesn't increase input lag because they can't feel it. Guess what, I can. 

That's a good technical description of what has changed however, it still isn't proving that it's objectively worse, only different.

I'm not trying to tell you you're wrong for disliking the aiming, I'm also not telling you the change is a good thing. I'm telling you that the aiming isn't broken.

Who is going to be hurt by 343 adding more aiming options so we can get back to how aiming felt in every other Halo except 3?

I swear, some of you just instantly dive to 343s defense for what to me seems to be literally no reason. Are you really gonna be mad if they cave and add more options?

It's obviously a problem for some of us and it's obviously different than past games. Why constantly jump to 343s defense every time someone brings up an issue that clearly impacts the game for some of us?

I would love for 343 to add more options for the aiming including a classic option, I've said that multiple times. I don't think people here are going about asking for it in the right way though. Telling 343 that the aiming is "broken" and needs "fixing" isn't helping anything. I'm basically trying to do the same thing as Infinity:

Not really trying to get in the argument since it doesn't affect me, I'm just trying to prevent this circle jerk of calling the aiming trash when no one is actually explaining why it is so.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Does anyone know if 343 has acknowledged the broken power-up problem in Assault yet?

I don't think so. I also saw it happen on a pro scrim last night on Slayer so I don't think it's just an Assault problem. 

My guess is they tried to fix the instant grab and broke it somehow. Now, the technical reasons why it's broke I don't know, so right now the powerups being broke isn't an objectively bad thing per say. Hopefully we get a non broken power up option in forge one day. 

Had to

• Upvote (+1) 1

Why are we argueing about aiming? Before nobody complained about the aiming and now some people do. That's all you really need to know. There's an issue.

This is also the only game where they had to add in a bunch of other aiming options on top of the standard 1-10 sensitivities. It obviously bothered enough people to warrant 343 to actually implement something.
  • Upvote (+1) 1

I don't think so. I also saw it happen on a pro scrim last night on Slayer so I don't think it's just an Assault problem.

My guess is they tried to fix the instant grab and broke it somehow. Now, the technical reasons why it's broke I don't know, so right now the powerups being broke isn't an objectively bad thing per say. Hopefully we get a non broken power up option in forge one day.

Had to

No, but you see, having a broken power-up means the team with control doesn't just 100% the power-up making comeback potential more likely!

was there ever an official reason behind the design decision to have radar on in team arena?

Why this would be downvoted I have no clue.   +1 to even the score.  Radar should go.   Shouldn't have to bubu dubu just to make smart plays.

Why this would be downvoted I have no clue. +1 to even the score. Radar should go. Shouldn't have to bubu dubu just to make smart plays.

For some reason people just want radar in now. Guess making the game easier is a good thing.

I think the people mainly experiencing issues with the aiming are the ones jumping back and forth between 5 and MCC/Reach.

Myself, I only play H5 now. So although the aiming is different, I've 'adapted' and found a comfortable zone thay feels natural. I'm assuming the same holds true for others that primarily play 5.

Whereas people game hopping every day will more vividly notice the differences and continue to have issues adjusting back to 5 after playing the preceding games.

What is broken about it?  I missed something.

I feel the opposite to be honest. If the enemy team gets a flag halfway past the map, it's pretty much a dead return because of the lack of lines of sight and map size. Assault focuses a singular objective that you have to push forward instead of chase.

Slayer is too big without more weapons (which can't work because of the inverse symmetry) or powerups. Super interested in playing Strongholds on it though.

From what I gathered in customs, the SH's they have are odd. It feels very BTB in the sense that there is one for each base, then the one in the middle. Bottom mid is where that point is and it's honestly a really bad point and rather boring to fight over in general. If I'm not mistaken, there's also an asymm power up setup where one has Camo and the other has OS.

For some reason people just want radar in now. Guess making the game easier is a good thing.

i saw this coming when they first released the first halo 5 mp gameplay, slowly but surely, halo players are becoming attached to the crutches designed into the game.

for example, you will never see muzzle climb come back to a COD game.

Sprint is forever, and for halo esports, radar is leaning that direction.

it's pathetic.

• Upvote (+1) 5

Damn how times change. You can't even see someone bring up no sprint without the typical "OMG you're STILL talking about this?" crap. Radar is something I thought every competitive player agreed on, but I guess not. Hell, people don't even think the autos are too powerful.

I'm 50/50 on radar. I'm fine with it being in objective gametypes. But in pure slayer it has no place at a competitive level.