CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

Has anyone run into Torque in Team Arena yet? Curious what gametypes are being used

CTF and Strongholds. CTF is ok I guess. I like assault better for it currently. But Strongholds is bad

There is a subjective change between H5's aiming and other games. Some people obviously hate it, others are fine with it. However, there's nothing objectively worse about how H5 controls to other games.

This. I have heard nothing about the 'terrible' aiming outside of the Beyond forums.

I personally don't have an issue with it in the slightest, but I feel like everyones only argument here is that its different from previous Halos and other FPS'. The only argument people ever use is 'just load up CE or any FPS and then H5... its impossible to switch and adapt.' That doesn't tell me anything about it being objectively worse, just that it is different.

The only person that has ever actually dived into why they think it is an issue is @a TB 303, which I commend him for.

You aren't going to look like you are making an argument unless you give non-anecdotal reasoning.

• Upvote (+1) 5
  • Downvote (-1) 2

People can get used to a 30fps game with a .5 second input lag because it's consistent but that doesn't make it good. FFS how is it this hard to understand?

So haloCE is crap since it pkayed at 30 fps.
  • Downvote (-1) 1

CTF and Strongholds. CTF is ok I guess. I like assault better for it currently. But Strongholds is bad

Map seems too big for CTF, but what's wrong with Strongholds?

Tis Story time now.

Once upon a time, there was a small child called Halo. Halo sat at the back of the room doing his own thing, and people liked him for it. As Halo began to grow up, he matured, he got some cool new shit. But then the popular Kids wanted Halo to hang out with them. Papa Beyond knew this would be bad for him, and warned him agaisnt it.

But Halo did it anyway. He started doing things because of peer pressure from the popular kids, things he knew weren't good for him. But still he did them.

Now Halo is different. HEs an outcast. Hes just some weird mix up of stuff.

But Halo can be himself again, all he needs to do is return to papa Beyond.

You can do this Halo, you can get the help you need.

• Upvote (+1) 1

This. I have heard nothing about the 'terrible' aiming outside of the Beyond forums.

I personally don't have an issue with it in the slightest, but I feel like everyones only argument here is that its different from previous Halos and other FPS'. The only argument people ever use is 'just load up CE or any FPS and then H5... its impossible to switch and adapt.' That doesn't tell me anything about it being objectively worse, just that it is different.

The only person that has ever actually dived into why they think it is an issue is @a TB 303, which I commend him for.

You aren't going to look like you are making an argument unless you give non-anecdotal reasoning.

I know our opinions don't typically line up, but I actually agree with you here.

I did some extensive testing and my aiming feels more CE than anything else with the settings I have on.

• Upvote (+1) 2

People can get used to a 30fps game with a .5 second input lag because it's consistent but that doesn't make it good. FFS how is it this hard to understand?

But leading your inputs adds to the skill gap :kappa:

Has anyone run into Torque in Team Arena yet? Curious what gametypes are being used

Yep. Played flag and assault on it.

The map feels akwardly large.

I literally joined a game in progress as the enemy team was arming their 3rd bomb. Got to love free losses.

There is an objective improvement from increasing the frame rate. Increased frames = reduced input lag.

There is a subjective change between H5's aiming and other games. Some people obviously hate it, others are fine with it. However, there's nothing objectively worse about how H5 controls compared to other games.

The framerate argument is a completely false equivalence.

I think you worded this wrong, there's an objective difference between aiming in 5 and aiming in other games, the change is objective, but there is subjectivity in how people feel about it, which is what you're getting at. I can't say I disagree with considering I have no issues playing halo 3, and we know how much different that games aiming system is compared to its predecessors.
  • Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 1

It's worse because it is literally impossible to use twitch aiming like I always have in Halo, and yes I'm using "literally" correct there. I can watch clips from the beta and instantly tell how much smoother the aiming was and I cannot come close to replicating that same style of aiming in Halo 5 now. Every example of someone using "twitch" aiming in Halo 5 has in fact not been true twitch aiming.

I could link to beta clips and then retail again but I've already done that so many times. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Probably because the people who are going to notice it the most are the ones who have better aim. Casual players not noticing says nothing about what was done, why it was done, or if it's better in general. For me, I noticed it immediately and it was incredibly off-putting because it simply doesn't feel intuitive to aim. It's not a matter of adapting to a different aiming style, it's about unnecessarily nullifying years of muscle memory for long-term players for no benefit. Is the new aiming system "better" for anyone? Maybe a few people think it's better for them, but almost universally anyone who notices the change states that it feels much worse. Does that sound like a good change to you?

• Upvote (+1) 8

There is an objective improvement from increasing the frame rate. Increased frames = reduced input lag.

There is a subjective change between H5's aiming and other games. Some people obviously hate it, others are fine with it. However, there's nothing objectively worse about how H5 controls compared to other games.

What do you feel is the subjective change between Halo 5's aiming and other games? You are talking about differences in aim acceleration and sensitivity curves? I assume if nothing is objectively worse, than nothing is objective better either?

The current aiming system 100% limits me as a player. Not everyone, but me and that is a fact. I don't think there's anything objectively or subjectively good about that. I am stuck playing 10 sense 5 acceleration and cannot go higher without changing the xbox elite controllers sensitivity curve to aggressive, which creates such big inconsistencies in aiming.

I'm actually pretty sure that there have been numerous posts and videos about aim acceleration or sensitivity curve that is tied to various percentages of stick deflection. I feel that when trying to make an aiming system that feels smooth and responsive, it's not a good idea to have such extreme differences in sensitivity curve depending on the sticks deflection. If someone can put a positive subjective spin on that, go for it. It just goes against anything I've ever known about game design in shooters.

I don't feel like digging for stuff now, but I know someone posted a video here of the various turning speeds when different levels of stick deflection was used.

Also, I know I've said this part a ton of times but I think this is more noticeable to those with twitchy aiming or who are used to higher sensitivities. If anything this sluggish aiming feeling to me should benefit slower sensitivity players. 

@@Infinity Regarding TB 303, you aren't talking about that drawing on a napkin right?

• Upvote (+1) 7

I think you worded this wrong, there's an objective difference between aiming in 5 and aiming in other games,the change is objective, but there is subjectivity in how people feel about it, which is what you're getting at.

Again, that's true to an extent but some people "feel" fine using mouse acceleration, vsync, big screen TVs with huge input delays, etc but that doesn't mean those things are fine. 

People in here that play 8 hours a day and claim Halo 5 feels fine is not a surprise to me in the slightest. When Halo 3 came out there were people who said the aiming felt great, same deal here. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

It's worse because it is literally impossible to use twitch aiming like I always have in Halo, and yes I'm using "literally" correct there. I can watch clips from the beta and instantly tell how much smoother the aiming was and I cannot come close to replicating that same style of aiming in Halo 5 now. Every example of someone using "twitch" aiming in Halo 5 has in fact not been true twitch aiming.

I could link to beta clips and then retail again but I've already done that so many times. 

Your still just using anecdotal buzzwords, man. Tell me why 'Twitch' aiming is supposedly broken. I've found that cranking up acceleration helps that a lot, but I don't prefer extremely twitch aiming so I keep mine low.

Who is going to be hurt by 343 adding more aiming options so we can get back to how aiming felt in every other Halo except 3?

I swear, some of you just instantly dive to 343s defense for what to me seems to be literally no reason. Are you really gonna be mad if they cave and add more options?

It's obviously a problem for some of us and it's obviously different than past games. Why constantly jump to 343s defense every time someone brings up an issue that clearly impacts the game for some of us?

• Upvote (+1) 3

I think you worded this wrong, there's an objective difference between aiming in 5 and aiming in other games, the change is objective, but there is subjectivity in how people feel about it, which is what you're getting at. I can't say I disagree with considering I have no issues playing halo 3, and we know how much different that games aiming system is compared to its predecessors.

Yes sorry, that's exactly what I meant. I was in a bit of a rush when I wrote that post.

How about this. 

Going from 0% of the population complaining about the aiming to 15% of the population complaining about the aiming is an objectively negative transition. 

There's your semantic bull. 

• Upvote (+1) 8

Only Assault on Torque. Nothing else yet, but I only see CTF working on it.

Your still just using anecdotal buzzwords, man. Tell me why 'Twitch' aiming is supposedly broken. I've found that cranking up acceleration helps that a lot, but I don't prefer extremely twitch aiming so I keep mine low.

That's like telling me to explain the technical reasons why splitscreen isn't in the game. Idk! All I know is that they fucked the aiming. 

This is the best explanation I've seen: 

http://xim4.com/community/index.php?topic=42461.0

Which I posted and quoted on the last page. 

*You're

Only Assault on Torque. Nothing else yet, but I only see CTF working on it.

I feel the opposite to be honest. If the enemy team gets a flag halfway past the map, it's pretty much a dead return because of the lack of lines of sight and map size. Assault focuses a singular objective that you have to push forward instead of chase.

Slayer is too big without more weapons (which can't work because of the inverse symmetry) or powerups. Super interested in playing Strongholds on it though.

What do you feel is the subjective change between Halo 5's aiming and other games? You are talking about differences in aim acceleration and sensitivity curves? I assume if nothing is objectively worse, than nothing is objective better either?

The current aiming system 100% limits me as a player. Not everyone, but me and that is a fact. I don't think there's anything objectively or subjectively good about that. I am stuck playing 10 sense 5 acceleration and cannot go higher without changing the xbox elite controllers sensitivity curve to aggressive, which creates such big inconsistencies in aiming.

I'm actually pretty sure that there have been numerous posts and videos about aim acceleration or sensitivity curve that is tied to various percentages of stick deflection. I feel that when trying to make an aiming system that feels smooth and responsive, it's not a good idea to have such extreme differences in sensitivity curve depending on the sticks deflection. If someone can put a positive subjective spin on that, go for it. It just goes against anything I've ever known about game design in shooters.

I don't feel like digging for stuff now, but I know someone posted a video here of the various turning speeds when different levels of stick deflection was used.

Also, I know I've said this part a ton of times but I think this is more noticeable to those with twitchy aiming or who are used to higher sensitivities. If anything this sluggish aiming feeling to me should benefit slower sensitivity players.

@@Infinity Regarding TB 303, you aren't talking about that drawing on a napkin right?

As @ said, I worded that post wrong. I've edited it to make more sense.