CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

I think almost every fighting game besides Mortal Kombat and Skull Girls would like a word with you lol. Having patches for games only once a year or maybe 2 years isn't exactly unheard of

Not saying its right, h5 isn't as hard of a game obviously but having no patches for a Halo game for 5+ months are a normal thing too iirc

H2 was doodoo for like 6 months I believe. H3 was around the same length and they were stubborn on h3 BR

Reach took a year and the devs that made the game them self didn't even make it.

H4 same.

It's not really uncommon for us to get patches months down the line

I'm not talking about the history of Halo's weapon patches only. Look at the FPS market today, Black Ops 3 has seen multiple weapon balance changes, same with CSGO, and BF4, etc. 

It really comes down to 343 thinking their weapon balance is perfect this time around, tons of casuals have told them as much. They don't understand the relationships between skill required, ease-of-use, power, and kill times of the weapons. 

• Upvote (+1) 9

I'm not talking about the history of Halo's weapon patches only. Look at the FPS market today, Black Ops 3 has seen multiple weapon balance changes, same with CSGO, and BF4, etc. 

It really comes down to 343 thinking their weapon balance is perfect this time around, tons of casuals have told them as much. They don't understand the relationships between skill required, ease-of-use, power, and kill times of the weapons. 

Exactly, the storm riffle is perfectly balanced. Duh

They probably thought that the kill commendations would be easiest to get. But for real I don't see how blaming 343 is the better option when the Halo community in general just fucking sucks.

Literally any community would have done the exact same thing.

Hell I've been on sports teams in tournaments that use goals/for against as a tie breaker which caused us to pump teams like 20-0.

If you reward people for beating the shit out of the opposition, they'l do it.

• Upvote (+1) 3

I personally can't wait for the UI fixes, dang shame that I have to go to waypoint to look at my medals.

What UI fixes are they doing?

Adding in features from Halo 2 and 3 probably. 

FOR FREE! 

I'll take some waffle fries and a chicken sandwich to go with it. Is that unforgivable?

It has nothing to do with 343i thinking their weapon balance is perfect. You can change guns immediately in CoD because they all practically do the same thing with minor differences. When you implement a balance change like a 4 shot magnum, you drastically change the meta and sandbox of the game. 

Look what happened with the Halo 4 Turbo update. The BR immediately became the dominant weapon when it was turned into a 4-shot. The addition of two shot beatdown made it way better than the DMR in CQC and it killed in two body bursts like it does in H5. Even with the buffs to the other weapons, no other primary weapon was used whatsoever. The BR became the de-facto best gun in the game. 

Changing and re-balancing weapons in Halo will never be as simple as it is in CoD/most MMS. If you change one thing, other things will shift in their relative usefulness in the sandbox. I can see the reluctance in making sweeping balance changes to the game based on impulse demands;  these changes need to be thoroughly tested and reviewed in reference to the rest of the sandbox.

Here's an example: The splaser in Halo 5 is largely considered to be extremely weak. Its overall damage is actually incredibly high per charge, but the damage is distributed among 10 or so bursts of damage. This coupled with it's long charge time means that its functionality is largely limited to large slow moving targets. What if 343i makes the time interval for the damage bursts shorter (like Halo 3/Reach)? Now you essentially have a long charge time railgun that does an INSANE amount of damage with a better scope. This has shifted the Splasers place in the sandbox, which can now completely eviscerate vehicles with ease (even worse for slow moving vehicles like the tank/Wraith) AND it becomes amazing at taking out infantry too.

TL;DR: Halo Sandbox = a highly sensitive tuned balance scale.

CoD/MMS Sandbox = Isolated weapon sandbox, changing one part doesn't really affect other aspects of the sandbox balance.

Holy crap we are getting close to the All Together Now! Do we get Achilles for that?

Achillies armour set. 

I0QaTfF.png

Long way to go for the Helmet.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Achillies armour set. 

I0QaTfF.png

Long way to go for the Helmet.

That cat has been burned into my brain, even worse knowing what the full picture is. I swear, you Runescape people are the worst. B)

• Upvote (+1) 1

That cat has been burned into my brain, even worse knowing what the full picture is. I swear, you Runescape people are the worst. B)

kIAcUVy.png

It has nothing to do with 343i thinking their weapon balance is perfect. You can change guns immediately in CoD because they all practically do the same thing with minor differences. When you implement a balance change like a 4 shot magnum, you drastically change the meta and sandbox of the game.

Look what happened with the Halo 4 Turbo update. The BR immediately became the dominant weapon when it was turned into a 4-shot. The addition of two shot beatdown made it way better than the DMR in CQC and it killed in two body bursts like it does in H5. Even with the buffs to the other weapons, no other primary weapon was used whatsoever. The BR became the de-facto best gun in the game.

Changing and re-balancing weapons in Halo will never be as simple as it is in CoD/most MMS. If you change one thing, other things will shift in their relative usefulness in the sandbox. I can see the reluctance in making sweeping balance changes to the game based on impulse demands; these changes need to be thoroughly tested and reviewed in reference to the rest of the sandbox.

Here's an example: The splaser in Halo 5 is largely considered to be extremely weak. Its overall damage is actually incredibly high per charge, but the damage is distributed among 10 or so bursts of damage. This coupled with it's long charge time means that its functionality is largely limited to large slow moving targets. What if 343i makes the time interval for the damage bursts shorter (like Halo 3/Reach)? Now you essentially have a long charge time railgun that does an INSANE amount of damage with a better scope. This has shifted the Splasers place in the sandbox, which can now completely eviscerate vehicles with ease (even worse for slow moving vehicles like the tank/Wraith) AND it becomes amazing at taking out infantry too.

TL;DR: Halo Sandbox = a highly sensitive tuned balance scale.

dank team nameCoD/MMS Sandbox = Isolated weapon sandbox, changing one part doesn't really affect other aspects of the sandbox balance.

I agree that the sandbox is more delicate than most console shooters, but the thing is we "know" what will happen if we make a four-shot pistol. We'll create an environment where the pistol is the de facto ultility weapon, automactically balancing the autos without tinkering with the details with AR,SR,SP etc. Players with a good shot will be able to challenge PW's and move around the map without worrying about a camping auto user. Rifles can be picked up for their ease of use and for a secondary weapon to help players have more firepower. Not to snowball games with more superior weapons than spawning players.

The skill gap will also grow, leading to much more complex set-ups and strats. Current H5 you NEED to set-up and communicate constantly to do anything. A game with a high individual skill gap CE/H2 players can have more freedom to come up with strategies organically and use their natural skill to destroy lesser skill teams. And use communication/set-ups only for teams of equal skill or greater.

There's nothing wrong with our suggested changes but it will make the sandbox more skillful and lead to much faster gameplay. 343 made the current weapon balance intentionally, but just because it was intentionally doesn't mean it was correct. Consistency is by far one of the most important aspects to skillful competition. A true utility weapon will bring a level of balance that'll help h5 considerably..

• Upvote (+1) 2

IM TRYING TO CAP FLAGS ON BREAKOUT FOR THE COMMENDATION, I SHOULD GET A SPECIAL TITLE OR SOMETHING BECAUSE THIS IS HELL (and fun tbh)

• Upvote (+1) 1

I think an obvious way to help Warzone out with spawn killing is making the REQ point reward scale down over time instead of up. You want to reward people for playing to win, and people going for REQs would obviously push for quicker games if they had a strong incentive.

It wouldn't fix the fact that the commendations encourage spawn killing, but it at least give them an incentive.

• Upvote (+1) 2