CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

Also the whole deadzone thing blows my mind, the fact that the pros play on a setting so far from default is sketchy. The fact the 343 hasn't even acknowledged this blows my mind. Also the whole we want our vanilla game in competitive so there isn't change from matchmatching, yet they forgot to tell the casuals about deadzones.

I believe that the default deadzones are the MS recommended ones. It is in order to prevent any drift from factory defects. I 100% guarantee you that if they were lower then you would see way more people complaining that their aim is moving on its own.

Does anyone think that the Halo 5 gunbattles are extremely shallow? Every single gunbattle devolves into who thrusts around the corner at the right moment, and there isn't any critical thinking to when you are pinned down by gunfire. I booted up H2A: Big Team Battle on MCC and I loved how there was "space" for my battles. If I started gunning someone down from a distance, they didn't have the option to sprint, slide, and bumrush into me and create a CQC battle where there was none to begin with. 

Eh I disagree. Not to say Thrust is a good/bad mechanic, but to say gun battles are determined by who Thrust around a corner every single time and there is no critical thinking I say is a bit innocent on the subject

People who have mastered Thrust Cancel and when to use it are in such a scary part in battles it's pretty crazy. The strafe in this game and 1v1s can make a lot of people whirlwind their aiming and they get smacked. It was there in X Games a good amount as well

I also made a guide on Offensive Thrust use here if you care to look 

Wall of text ahead:

Hey guys, I did a post on “reads” in Halo 5 and since I had some positive reception, I thought I would try making a general guide to using the Thruster in H5 a bit more effectively because this is the first time we really have a mechanic that is so influential in battles throughout a match. I’ll be using some clips of mine to show because it’s just easier for me and I’m a bit lazy to find some VoD of top players using it. Though I am writing this guide, this is just an opinion of mine on how to use Thruster pack and I’m a player always looking to improve and am open to suggestions. So if you disagree with a point I’d love to have a discussion about it! Now onto the guide:

I think before we talk about tips/general ideas on how to use Thruster pack, we need to get some terminology, general idea of Thrust and tech that people have found. To begin with, the Thruster pack has essentially 3 parts to it, the initial frames, the active frames and the recovery period. To try defining these, the intial frames are the beginning of the Thrust, the active is when you are first able to shoot and the recovery period is when the Thrust is almost coming to a stop. I don’t have the frame data but having these definitions helps out a bit with discussing Thruster. Also from now on I’m just going to call Thruster Pack THP throughout this guide because im a lazy man at times (sorry). Next we can discuss Thrust Cancel. Cookies4you on The Team Beyond forums defined it well as “Recycling frames using thrust delay and firing instantly when it's over.” To use this best, as soon as you hit the 4th shot of a Pistol shot, you should Thrust if you want to both dodge shots and have the quickest kill time possible while using TP. Cookies4you posted a video here showing Thrust Cancel with a Light Rifle as its slow rate of fire is makes Thrust Cancel especially useful http://xboxdvr.com/g.../video/12708736

Another finding is Thrust Launching. The video should show you how to do it pretty well.

https://www.youtube....h?v=7fQV4ittN9s 

Last tech people have found is Thrust Slide. Here is a video that explains it pretty well

https://youtu.be/0LA56xofrKI 

Disregard the stuff about Super Slide and Fast fall because that is all removed from the game. Thrust Slide however, is still in.

Alright. now we’re doing with introducing all the new tech and terminology, we can discuss how to actually use the TP effectively.

The first thing I’ll talk about is general things on using TP in a 1v1 battle. TP should be used for the most part as a comeback mechanic. You use this when you are down shots or to have higher health than you normally would have had. For example, if you are down 1-2 shots, using the Thruster in this battle would be really effective to bring you back into this 1v1 in equal footing. But how does one do this correctly? In my opinion, there are about 3 general guidelines to achieving a “good” use of TP

1) Will using TP now cause my opponents to have easy shots on me in my recovery period? A lot of times what will happen is a player will be 2 shots (he will die in 2 shots if the player can get a headshot if the player is no shields) use TP in a time where the enemy will most likely get 1 shot in the initial / active frames and because of the predictability of the recovery period the enemy player has an easy shot lined up. Preferably you don’t want this to happen, you would probably like to avoid this however, if you were too slow and you will die either way, you might as well do this to get the enemy 1-2 shots weaker for your teammates to clean up

2) Is this going to screw my opponents aim? Sometimes unpredictability is the best way to use TP because you can have an early head start in a 1v1 or in a general encounter.

3) Am I going to die if I do not use Thruster? If you’re already going to die, whether that’s by nades, not looking at the opponent, etc personally I think you might as well use it to try getting a fighting chance and maybe get a shot or two on your enemies.

4) If I’m down in shots, will using TP and getting shots in let me survive and let the 1v1 be in a more equal footing?

So these are the general tips on, at least in my opinion, a good use of TP.

Though just reading this can be a bit hard to understand how they work in an actual game, which is why I’m just going to use a few clips I have.

http://xboxdvr.com/g...o/14358550#t=11

Here’s a run down of why I did each decision from 11 seconds onward. For the first kill, I was pretty confident I could get this kill through unpredictable means. For the passive player, the best play would have been to Thrust and back off but I wanted Turbine control and if I backed off I would have to wait for enemies to push to Blue door to get any kills as I expected 2-3 enemies around the Red Bend/Turbine side. So killing this guy was a bit important if you ask me. For this first kill, I used #1, #2 and #4. For #1, if I get this kill the recovery period really doesn’t matter and even if I did miss the first shot with the Sniper while I TP’d forward, I still was 2 shots for a Pistol user and if I wanted to, I could switch to my pistol easily. #2, a lot of times players will not expect a forward TP when they are down in shots which is what I was counting on. I don’t recommend this all the time but sometimes it works, it’s a really case by case basis and i don’t recommend using it all the time.

For the second kill, I wanted to be by cover quickly but get the kill. Really I just used #2 as it’s a bit unpredictable to see a guy thrusting out of cover. However, I did mess up in this play by jumping a lot. Personally the better play would have been to Thrust Slide to get to cover faster and further in.

Last kill was #2 and #3. I was going to die in this situation either through nades or the guy shooting the box and having my cover blown. I wanted to wait a few seconds to get my Thrust back and wait for his nade that I was predicting him to be thrown and Thrust afterwards to have him in the recovery period of him throwing his nade and because it’s really unpredictable to have a guy flying 1 shot out of cover.

Next clip: http://xboxdvr.com/g...eo/12851147#t=7

In the beginning, I had to really avoid this dude so I wanted to TP to be sure he could not get shots on me while I was getting my shields back, so basically #3. I then challenged the other guy but was pretty confident that I could kill him without TP and because I’m already weak, use it to avoid a death by another opponent. Which happened, I killed the 1st opponent and because I really had no other solutions for the most part, I went basically for #3 because there wasn’t much of a way I was going to live without it, I fortunately got lucky and he had to reload and I could exploit that mistake.

The last kill i wanted to survive, be in cover and place shots on this guy while my team helped me out. Basically I went for the aggressive and passive play at the same time as using Thruster here was effective for both. Because I’d be in cover at the recovery period, I was going to be fine even with the TP recovery period being easy to predict.

Moving on from all that though, you can use Thruster for a ton of ways in this game. Such as Thrust Launching, Thrust Sliding, etc. Personally a good way to use Thrust Slide in a battle is to do it when you’re entering an encounter because of how fast it is and that you also have momentum jumps. It’s a bit unpredictable and hard to fix your aim so quickly at times. Another suggestion is burst rushing with it while using an auto like an AR or Storm Rifle because you’ll be in preferable range for the CQC weapons.

Another point I’d like to make using TP is do not use it so carelessly. At times players will use it to get to 1 point to another quicker but the need of it isn’t really needed when they enter an area that might be a possible encounter. Sometimes it’s better to save your thrust when you’re expecting another fight rather than using it to get to areas quicker (sometimes! Really, it’s a situational argument).

The last point I’d like to make is, and this is hard to explain how to do it, but time the weapons RoF in your head to Thrust right before they would shoot their next shot. This is especially easy imo with weapons like the Sniper rifle as the RoF is slow, but less useful against weapons such as the Carbine or DMR. However, I think with the Pistol, BR and Light Rifle they can be pretty useful against opponents.

It's not the most in depth discussion on Thruster but it does show a small amount of the offensive use for it.

self plug of my own strafe/Thrust Cancel but this is an example so here

https://youtu.be/K4YYQI8ubqg?t=1m44s

Not saying that Thruster isn't defensive, it is a good amount but you can definitely use it offensively and be scary with it.

If they're bum rushing you, that should be an easy 5 unless they SC you which you can pre-emptively dodge but you have to know well beforehand so eh

Edit: Sorry the video wont play at the time for some reason but its 1:44

Edit 2: Thrusting when you know the opponent is going to shoot again (so timing RoF which you have to ID for every weapon so quick reactions) is a thing for players (which I tried to do in that clip but theater aiming is funny. Monks crosshair was on my head right before I thrusted though in actual play) 

• Upvote (+1) 3

Is something wrong with the servers? Keeps telling me "Could not find a server suitable for all members of your fireteam.

And I can't start it.

Is something wrong with the servers? Keeps telling me "Could not find a server suitable for all members of your fireteam.

And I can't start it.

Xbox Live is having issues.

• Upvote (+1) 1

And I can't start it.

Someone was telling me xbl issues were going on so it could be that

• Upvote (+1) 1

I believe that the default deadzones are the MS recommended ones. It is in order to prevent any drift from factory defects. I 100% guarantee you that if they were lower then you would see way more people complaining that their aim is moving on its own.

So have the last 2 Halo by 343 had invisible deadzones about the same?

Figures lol. First day playing this since January and of all days.. The day where I can't even be single in peace... XBL is fucking up haha. Good ol' Microsoft.

So, now that I finally played Riptide a few times today, I have to say, Riptide is awful. What's with 343 and these maps that have so many corridors?

Also, finally played Overgrowth Strongholds for the first time as well. I'm pretty sure Overgrowth is one of the main reasons I quit playing this game... Overgrowth strongholds though? Actually not that bad. I give 6.5 rotten tomatoes out of 10. It actually doesn't play bad at all now that there isn't 4 guys running around with Rail, Sword, Shotty, and camo all game.

Strongholds on Overgrowth isn't that bad though. Not too much to say about that.

And jesus crust the Doubles playlist lol... The only map I really have a problem with is Gamble I think. Whatever the one with Rockets and what used to be Top Camo in breakout. God that map is stupid. I think Crossfire is like the most balanced one. 

The positives of thrust, as cool as they can be sometimes, do not outweigh the negatives IMO. 

I feel the best way to implement it would be to do this:

1) Have Thrust fuel around the map similar to Health packs in Reach/H1. No recharge waiting period, if you want Thrust usage, you're moving around the map for it

2) Have a reset mechanic or a meter build sort of thing. Maybe both IDK. Every successive kill you get using Thruster (meaning you got it right after the recovery period of Thrust) you get your Thruster back or you get x amount of Thruster fuel.

3) Shorten TTK to 1 second or lower.

4) Length of Thruster movement wise is shortened but Initial and active frames are shortened. Therefore creating more offensive use rather than defensive.

More crack pot theories but something of that sort would be cool imo

I know its a minority opinion but the positive stuff about Thruster offensively and what it does to a lot of these battles (offensively) is really, really good when it comes to the mental aspect of the game with how much you can do with it and how much effort it takes to do something really good with it(and also rewarding!) 

• Upvote (+1) 2

Lol oh one of those guys were on my F/L. Ima have to call him out later

Lemme know what he says - I'm sure it'll make me laugh.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Lemme know what he says - I'm sure it'll make me laugh.

Haven't played with him in a while (not sure why I had him added in the first place) but I will if I get the chance lol

ZopBFjj.png

F64EAAh.png

lol

Already saw this coming, we all left the game because reqs and party broke on us.  Try fighting 5 people with Whiplashes and Longshot BRs while you have a Pistol and AR because are whole lobby had retrieving data.  Ever since yesterday the REQ servers have been fucked.

• Downvote (-1) 2

I've got some bad news for you bro.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/literally

He is LITERALLY using the word in its correct way. As you LITERALLY explode from anger for no reason.

That second definition is the opposite of the first.  There's a word for that second definition.  That word is 'figuratively'.  People sound dumb when they use it that way, and you know it. They're ruining a good word. Don't defend them.

• Upvote (+1) 2

It can literally be used to mean both literally and figuratively because yay english!

That may be technically true, but only an asshole will use it in place of figuratively.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Hey guys, I was trying out new jumps on The Rig and I ended up finding this one. I had never seen it before, so I decided to make a quick tutorial for it. If this one was already known then my bad, let me know and I'll change the title/add an annotation to the vid.

Pretty sick dude! Thanks for the video

The positives of thrust, as cool as they can be sometimes, do not outweigh the negatives IMO.

I'd rather disable thrust when damaged than have it being used as an easy escape. I agree that it has way more negatives than positives.

k2-_6ea1cfda-9ee3-4d61-aa0d-d0fa3e33796e

RfYR8TX.png

I don't get it. Do you not pay for Xbox Live then? I don't think a Games for Windows Live account gives you gold access.  :ghost:

Would you guys say this has the worst maps in Halo history? I find it hard to choose from Reach, H4, or this.

Would you guys say this has the worst maps in Halo history? I find it hard to choose from Reach, H4, or this.

Halo 4, then Reach, then H5. From worst to best.

Unless we're counting forge, then H4, then H5, then Reach.

I agree, what would it take for a new studio to take over the franchise? Legit, im done with the bullshit. I really want Halo to be great again.

When gimmicky ass Halo 6 comes out and it tanks harder and faster than Halo 5 did, then, maybe then, Microsoft may change studios(or clean house). Or they may just end the franchise.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1