CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

https://twitter.com/TsquaredMLG/status/546109323257319425

Thought this conversation between Lenox, Clap, and T2 was interesting, apparently some of the guys at 343 might not know fully understand why sprint is not a good mechanic for Halo.

People need to link him some of the good and long explanations we have had here on the forums, specifically in the "Should Sprint Stay for H5?" thread where 98 percent of people voted sprint should go. 

@@KraZeR did

• Upvote (+1) 3

Neogaf seems to really like the game.... that's a good sign

but still no 4 player split screen? welp looks like my friends aren't gonna be playing halo in my house every saturday....

So I’m interested in how people would respond to the idea of hold to thrust. Would you find the following changes acceptable/competitive?

Stabilisers: Manual/hold button to stabilise

Sprint: Remove

Ground Pound: Remove

Spartan Charge: Remove

Thrusters:   Keep gun active for shooting. Tap X for a small thrust (let’s say half the current distance). Hold X to charge thrusters (have a little bar which fills the longer you keep the X button held down) when you release the X button you flick the direction and have a dramatically increased thrust (distance equates to amount of time you held X).

Next addition would be to introduce a momentum based melee system. This would enable ground pound and Spartan charge to still be in the game but with a much harder button combo. You would have to hold X to charge your thruster pack, release X, flick your direction, aim your melee and tap the beat down button on impact. Map a button for the air stabilisers as well and you get a pretty difficult button combo to pull off.

It would also allow for traversing large maps quickly without sprint. Just charge your thrusters instead then thrust off in the direction you want, but always having the ability to shoot. Keep the cool down time the same which now wouldn’t feel so bad, the distance would be nerfed so tapping X would only be useful to out strafe an opponent at close quarters and if your opponent wanted a longer thrust he would have to hold the X button for longer anyway.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Sprint is really bugging me - it's punishing and not a free escape anywhere near as often as in previous titles, but the base movement speed still feels a little slow especially on upscaled Truth. It just feels out of place; like they included it but don't really want it in the gameplay.

Flinch needs to go. I'm not sure exactly what causes it, but I was trying to line up a no-scope with the sniper and the opponent's AR was bouncing my reticle all over the place. I've only encountered it once but it's probably the biggest feeling of being bullshitted I've had so far in the beta.

The only other issue I have so far is the AR/Pistol/BR relationship. The Magnum is by far the most difficult of the three to use, so I would like to see it buffed to a 4sk and for the intense upward recoil you get when firing quickly to be removed. The BR could maybe do with having its aim assist dropped just a little; it feels like the DMR is a bit more difficult to use and I think making them feel the same would be great.

Overall it's good - at one point I even matched up against EG and we avoided the steak and managed to lose a solid game that did feel more like Halo than a torrent of abused mechanics.

Sorry, but i'm not sure what you mean. The base movement is slow, but what did they include, but not actually want in game play? Sprint? 

If base movement is too slow it should be increase. Base movement should be faster than regular Halos since they're increasing map size. Sprint shouldn't be as powerful as it was in the past titles. Meaning you shouldn't get AS much of a boost by sprinting. It should be used to move around quicker, but it shouldn't be significant if base movement is going to be a decent speed.

the new csr ranks combined with the exp system will make both casuals an competitive players happy.

I'm interested how high they intend on making the esp system and if there is some sort of prestige system to it. Personally would like it if they removed SR and went back 3/reach images wise

dope little feature they added...when you are viewing the kill cam after you die look at the top left corner to see the players shield and health that killed you

• Upvote (+1) 1

I swear to god, do people not realise that there is ANOTHER THREAD for feedback? lmao

Had lot's of fun playing this game so far, and I am past the "honeymoon period". Maps are great, but Empire needs tweaked Power Weapon wise, people just tend to camp hardcore.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Only because high profile streamers like Lirik and Summit brought over their audiences.

still held people's attention for them to sit and watch it all night.

I swear to god, do people not realise that there is ANOTHER THREAD for feedback? lmao

Had lot's of fun playing this game so far, and I am past the "honeymoon period". Maps are great, but Empire needs tweaked Power Weapon wise, people just tend to camp hardcore.

Yea that usually lasts a solid month or so if the game isn't too awful. I legitimately enjoyed the Reach beta for the full period. We'll only be able to tell whether h5 has any potential to be good during the beta. It'll take a couple weeks into the release version to find out whether it's crap or not.

No one mention it, but can somebody explain me why friendly fire is off?

I mean thats also core or not?

You should get punished if u threw grenades on teammates.

• Upvote (+1) 4
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Yea that usually lasts a solid month or so if the game isn't too awful. I legitimately enjoyed the Reach beta for the full period. We'll only be tell whether h5 has any potential to be good during the beta. It'll take a couple weeks into the release version to find out whether it's crap or not.

It is better than Reach and 4, but that doesn't mean much. I need to see how more maps/gamemodes play before I even start to compare to original trilogy. It has potential, but then again, so did Halo 4 in my eyes...

Sorry, but i'm not sure what you mean. The base movement is slow, but what did they include, but not actually want in game play? Sprint? 

If base movement is too slow it should be increase. Base movement should be faster than regular Halos since they're increasing map size. Sprint shouldn't be as powerful as it was in the past titles. Meaning you shouldn't get AS much of a boost by sprinting. It should be used to move around quicker, but it shouldn't be significant if base movement is going to be a decent speed.

I meant that Sprint feels a bit tacked on. The way it affects shields is a big nerf and often it results in putting yourself into a bad situation. Base movement feeling a bit slow is the only reason to even use sprint in the first place, so if it was boosted a bit I think Sprint would end up feeling like Ground Pound in that it would very rarely be a useful choice.

It is better than Reach and 4, but that doesn't mean much. I need to see how more maps/gamemodes play before I even start to compare to original trilogy. It has potential, but then again, so did Halo 4 in my eyes...

How du you now this just yet after playing just a few games? Don't want to say you have no clue but I think it is hard to tell if it is better than other games after just playing 2 days...

One other thing to add Vetoed's excellent list:

- Add options to disable rumble and impulse triggers.

• Upvote (+1) 8

How du you now this just yet after playing just a few games? Don't want to say you have no clue but I think it is hard to tell if it is better than other games after just playing 2 days...

It is better than Reach and 4. You will understand when you play it.

So I was thinking about it while trying to sleep and with the way this game seems to play I wonder if we can draw players/viewers from a game like COD. I never thought I'd say this but what if they give some COD pro teams a couple of weeks with the game and then have a small tournament.

Obviously include our established Halo teams, but we'd certainly see strong stream numbers.

This is probably not going to be popular with a lot of people and I'm not even enjoying writing it, but at a certain point you have to consider the options.

It is better than Reach and 4. You will understand when you play it.

I don't think it will ever be as good as reach mlg v7. I just played halo with sprint too long and I am tired of this shit.

I don't think it will ever be as good as reach mlg v7. I just played halo with sprint too long and I am tired of this shit.

I was not a huge fan of V7 tbh, felt like I was on ice when I was walking/strafing.

The game is fun, I rarely Sprint in it, and it basically is pointless. I really hope it get's removed.