CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

haha I was just posting this gif on Twitter. I love the AR man, it's so sick

82936721f7514642093d040ea7e242d3.gif

Meanwhile on Waypoint: "Magnum is OP please nerf."

• Upvote (+1) 1

Don't know if it's actually 'social' but they've just added a Social Slayer playlist - Game Day Slayer, 5v5.

Can confirm

f6f1ac4d7315484d4eb82b9583af198b.png

• Upvote (+1) 2

Really cool to see them dabble with Social Slayer for a weekend playlist but if it becomes permanent it should be 4v4 and replace Ranked Slayer.

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Really cool to see them dabble with Social Slayer for a weekend playlist but if it becomes permanent it should be 4v4 and replace Ranked Slayer.

Nah, if it becomes permanent they can give it 24 meter radar and remove radar from the ranked list.

Nah, if it becomes permanent they can give it 24 meter radar and remove radar from the ranked list.

That crispy 18m radar though. Really allows for setups. 

The only thing about damage drop off is that it's such an anti-arena shooter philosophy. Ideally the spread should be the only single factor NEEDED to limit the range, but...ya know. There's like no spread.

Well that's the thing. A lot of the Halo 5 sandbox goes against the arena shooter philosophy. There's like at least 2 or 3 weapons of each kind for the same exact purpose.

- Auto/ambush/suppressing/teamshot/CQC:

AR, storm rifle, SMG, suppressor

- Precision/long range/zoning

BR, DMR, LR, carbine, pistol (?)

- Sidearm/quick switch/finishing

pistol, boltshot, PP

- CQC lethal power weapon

shotgun, scattershot, storm rifle, railgun (not treated as such)

- Long range/sniping

sniper rifle, beam rifle, binary rifle, railgun, LR, DMR

- Super lethal/momentum switcher/map focus/explosive/free kills

rocket launcher, fuel rod, incineration cannon, sniper, railgun, plasma caster

- Random dumb auto-aim weapons that add nothing to a FPS skill gap

needler, suppressor, boltshot, PP, sniper

- ???

hydra

As you can see, a lot of weapons appear more than once in various subcategories, meaning that a lot of weapons serve no actual purpose in the sandbox. This has the negative impact of making some maps cluttered with many weapons of the same type, leading to none of them being contested/controlled, which, goes against the arena shooter philosophy on its own. You can just go pretty much anywhere you want and get the weapon you want for free, uncontested, assuming it's not a power weapon. You just need to take like... 10-20 extra steps.

If the game doesn't even try to go for a true arena experience on that front, then there's no reason the mechanics should try so hard to focus on that either. I think it's far more important for the game to emphasize skill in ways it can. Cut randomness as much as possible.

The storm rifle for example could just do with slower, but accurate projectiles instead of spread. The AR just has to be approached differently because it's hitscan.

• Upvote (+1) 8

I mean I agree with the whole sentiment overall, that kill shouldn't have happened at all, but I will say this. I don't really have a problem with the range itself and the AR actually being possible to retain long range accuracy with... personally, I think it's a better concept than randomness.

HOWEVER, there should be a damage fall off mechanic or something. Since the gun is hitscan and we can't implement skill through leading shots, then instead, past a certain range, the AR should do reduced damage. 

Hitmarker color (dimmed out) or sound (muffled instead of clicky) could reflect the reduced damage or something. Since we're going to keep those, might as well make them somewhat useful.

Whatever works. As long as the AR is pretty much useless at okay at mid range, useless at long range.

Meanwhile on Waypoint: "Magnum is OP please nerf."

Is that really a conversation going on, on Waypoint?

Well that's the thing. A lot of the Halo 5 sandbox goes against the arena shooter philosophy. There's like at least 2 or 3 weapons of each kind for the same exact purpose.

- Auto/ambush/suppressing/teamshot/CQC:

AR, storm rifle, SMG, suppressor

- Precision/long range/zoning

BR, DMR, LR, carbine, pistol (?)

- Sidearm/quick switch/finishing

pistol, boltshot, PP

- CQC lethal power weapon

shotgun, scattershot, storm rifle, railgun (not treated as such)

- Long range/sniping

sniper rifle, beam rifle, binary rifle, railgun, LR, DMR

- Super lethal/momentum switcher/map focus/explosive/free kills

rocket launcher, fuel rod, incineration cannon, sniper, railgun, plasma caster

- Random dumb auto-aim weapons that add nothing to a FPS skill gap

needler, suppressor, boltshot, PP, sniper

- ???

hydra

As you can see, a lot of weapons appear more than once in various subcategories, meaning that a lot of weapons serve no actual purpose in the sandbox. This has the negative impact of making some maps cluttered with many weapons of the same type, leading to none of them being contested/controlled, which, goes against the arena shooter philosophy on its own. You can just go pretty much anywhere you want and get the weapon you want for free, uncontested, assuming it's not a power weapon. You just need to take like... 10-20 extra steps.

If the game doesn't even try to go for a true arena experience on that front, then there's no reason the mechanics should try so hard to focus on that either. I think it's far more important for the game to emphasize skill in ways it can. Cut randomness as much as possible.

The storm rifle for example could just do with slower, but accurate projectiles instead of spread. The AR just has to be approached differently because it's hitscan.

That's one of the biggest issues with Halo's sandbox. Too much excess. Build a solid foundation and then maybe add. Don't bite off more than you can chew.

Don't know if it's actually 'social' but they've just added a Social Slayer playlist - Game Day Slayer, 5v5.

It most likely uses the exact same MM parametres as ranked. Pointless.

That's one of the biggest issues with Halo's sandbox. Too much excess. Build a solid foundation and then maybe add. Don't bite off more than you can chew.

What people aren't calling Halo 5 out for enough is that it is continuing the recent Halo tradition of trying to be other games just as hard as any of them. It cashed in on the MOBA trend, went full-Borderlands with its weapons, went full-ME3 with its microtransaction system, went full Destiny/Titanfall/other shit with its movement buffs, and yet it purports to harken back to its arena roots.

Halo 5 is a copycat game, and it shows in how incompatible some of the elements are.

• Upvote (+1) 8

What people aren't calling Halo 5 out for enough is that it is continuing the recent Halo tradition of trying to be other games just as hard as any of them. It cashed in on the MOBA trend, went full-Borderlands with its weapons, went full-ME3 with its microtransaction system, went full Destiny/Titanfall/other shit with its movement buffs, and yet it purports to harken back to its arena roots.

Halo 5 is a copycat game, and it shows in how incompatible some of the elements are.

While I don't disagree with you, despite you probably thinking I do, it seems on paper youre right. BUT, It still feels fresh and plays like nothing on the market.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I will admit that ever since I decided to make team arena my "social" playlist ive been having a blast with this game. Its just too bad that I have to make a ranked playlist into a social playlist and become a nuissance to others instead of just having a social playlist to play.

H5 really does have entertaining gameplay, its just not very good competitively(imo) and the game force feeds everyone into competitive games.

While I don't disagree with you, despite you probably thinking I do, it seems on paper youre right. BUT, It still feels fresh and plays like nothing on the market.

Sure, but it plays closer to other games in comparison to how Halo used to play compared to all the other games on the market. 

Is that really a conversation going on, on Waypoint?

https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/forums/6e35355aecdf4fd0acdaee3cc4156fd4/topics/why-halowaypoint-is-a-joke-ar-thread-pistol-op/21b44b86-301b-45e9-b8de-b6acee413e04/posts

Guy made a bait thread (original post under spoiler tag), then edited the OP and Title.  You'll notice some people actually have brains, while others were agreeing with the original post as well as with the other intentional shitposts he made in the thread.

Aside from that specific thread though, yes, there are a ton of people on Waypoint who seriously support the AR.

https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/forums/6e35355aecdf4fd0acdaee3cc4156fd4/topics/why-halowaypoint-is-a-joke-ar-thread-pistol-op/21b44b86-301b-45e9-b8de-b6acee413e04/posts

Guy made a bait thread (original post under spoiler tag), then edited the OP and Title.  You'll notice some people actually have brains, while others were agreeing with the original post as well as with the other intentional shitposts he made in the thread.

Aside from that specific thread though, yes, there are a ton of people on Waypoint who seriously support the AR.

Was hoping to call on the :beyond: squad to educate the masses.

Was hoping to call on the :beyond: squad to educate the masses.

Lmao, Sorbin's post:

Halo CE magnum took no skill. My cousin was a Toys R Us Halo CE Midwestern Regionals Quarterfinalist back in 2002 and I used to TSK him all the time, it's obviously not hard.

I gotta invite that guy to Beyond one of these days.

Edit:  Ew, the last few posts are just the worst cancer I've ever seen.

Lmao, Sorbin's post:

Halo CE magnum took no skill. My cousin was a Toys R Us Halo CE Midwestern Regionals Quarterfinalist back in 2002 and I used to TSK him all the time, it's obviously not hard.

I'm about 60% sure there's a user named @@Sorbin here.

Edit: Nailed it.

Lmao, Sorbin's post:

hay,

we cnt be bashn other communitys

stap

• Upvote (+1) 1