CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

Don't XP boosts only give you a static amount based on your SR? I thought the only boosts related to performance are the Gambits...

XP boosts are time based. The longer the game, the more the XP boost takes hold. It's a dumb system, and it's partially why people wait until 10 minutes to destroy a core in Warzone when using a boost. Max out the XP gain, then kill. Or, yunno, just stat away, like most asshat teams. :P

Know that feeling extensively. Putting yourself at a disadvantage and coming out on top due to your skill is VERY satisfying.

I do something similar in Action RPGS, where I keep using low-mid tier gear simply because I prefer them aesthetically speaking. Too many games end up like Skyrim, where you have early weapons that look relatively practical and simple, and then end up with Shadow the Hedgehog swords by the end.

Nah. I was on my own at the time. The rest of the team was sitting in the Garage, playing defense as they had to. I was running around outside and specifically going after people, without my team to help.

Arena =/= Warzone

In WZ it's much easier because of the maps and lots of people don't pay that much attention (+ you can spawn with more effective weapons)

• Upvote (+1) 2

You can only play aggressively in this game if your team is doing the same, otherwise you're going to get destroyed because the individual has no real power in this game. 

I mean it works in Warzone against people who don't know better. In Warzone I'm just soaring around and outgunning everyone with loadout weapons. I only sit back when I'm weak or getting outnumbered and need to force them into angles that give me 1v1 fights.

I tend to only die when I whiff, get caught by people spawning or some dude b-lines it and manages to get a spartan charge off just before I kill, making me absolute.

I agree that in 4v4 it almost never works unless you have numbers though. It's good to catch people off-guard like 1 out of 5 times (being defensive makes it a lot easier to get kills or re-engage if the situation is bad)... but overall, chances are even if you get a kill, you'll get cleaned up because people move around the map so fucking fast.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Arena =/= Warzone

In WZ it's much easier because of the maps and lots of people don't pay that much attention (+ you can spawn with more effective weapons)

And? Was still demolishing, even though many members of the other team concentrated on me specifically, due to my active harassment of them. I don't honestly care about Arena in this case.

9.Holiday Doubles

10.Free for All

Doubles: not that popular apparently.

That was Holiday doubles which suffered from gameplay selection and design.  Everything was still set up for 4v4 which makes it a more random frustrating experience than it out to be.  I didnt play much of it and i dont blame other for not either.  Thats a problem with 343s execution, not the core idea.  and as @@Batchford said, it has half the players per game.

haha I was just posting this gif on Twitter. I love the AR man, it's so sick

82936721f7514642093d040ea7e242d3.gif

This gif makes me want to down vote you... I hate that the AR is even relevant at that range.

I mean it works in Warzone against people who don't know better. In Warzone I'm just soaring around and outgunning everyone with loadout weapons. I only sit back when I'm weak or getting outnumbered and need to force them into angles that give me 1v1 fights.

I tend to only die when I whiff, get caught by people spawning or some dude b-lines it and manages to get a spartan charge off just before I kill, making me absolute.

I agree that in 4v4 it almost never works unless you have numbers though. It's good to catch people off-guard like 1 out of 5 times (being defensive makes it a lot easier to get kills or re-engage if the situation is bad)... but overall, chances are even if you get a kill, you'll get cleaned up because people move around the map so fucking fast.

Yarr, You know what would help so that you could get a variety of playstyles to mesh effectively on a team? No radar!

• Upvote (+1) 1

I do something similar in Action RPGS, where I keep using low-mid tier gear simply because I prefer them aesthetically speaking. Too many games end up like Skyrim, where you have early weapons that look relatively practical and simple, and then end up with Shadow the Hedgehog swords by the end.

C'mon. Facing a Legendary Dragon with nothing but a Steel Sword? Best challenge on the planet.

It seems as though arena has too much slayer now. Feels like slayer has 50% weighting with CTF and strongholds only getting 25% each.

Should be 1/3, 1/3, 1/3.

It seems as though arena has too much slayer now. Feels like slayer has 50% weighting with CTF and strongholds only getting 25% each.

Should be 1/3, 1/3, 1/3.

I would like to see CTF and Strongholds have a MUCH higher percentage than Slayer. There is a playlist for nothing but Slayer and I will always prefer objective gametypes. 

• Upvote (+1) 6

So I just stopped finding games in Team Arena and FFA. Seems like I have 10-20games of slayer left to play before I make a third account.

I have literally one FFA game played.

• Upvote (+1) 1

And? Was still demolishing, even though many members of the other team concentrated on me specifically, due to my active harassment of them. I don't honestly care about Arena in this case.

Please read:

Please never talk about the balance of the game or mechanics of the game if you're referencing Warzone. Complete waste of time, everything changes when talking about Warzone, all the autos are fine if you're just talking about Warzone for fucks sake. 

I mean it's good for you that you can play so in WZ but if you don't care about Arena, why do you respond to a conversation about arena?

haha I was just posting this gif on Twitter. I love the AR man, it's so sick

82936721f7514642093d040ea7e242d3.gif

holy fuck 343i nerf that range. What are you guys thinking? 

Fpprw23.jpg

• Upvote (+1) 7

I mean it's good for you that you can play so in WZ but if you don't care about Arena, why do you respond to a conversation about arena?

Was speaking in general about play-styles when responding to it, it wasn't about Arena specifically. 

The whole point of me doing shit like this is to expose it

Yeah I know lol. I think you have a YouTube video where you beat one of the 343 pros in FFA with AR only lol

• Upvote (+1) 1

holy fuck 343i nerf that range. What are you guys thinking? 

Fpprw23.jpg

I mean I agree with the whole sentiment overall, that kill shouldn't have happened at all, but I will say this. I don't really have a problem with the range itself and the AR actually being possible to retain long range accuracy with... personally, I think it's a better concept than randomness.

HOWEVER, there should be a damage fall off mechanic or something. Since the gun is hitscan and we can't implement skill through leading shots, then instead, past a certain range, the AR should do reduced damage. 

Hitmarker color (dimmed out) or sound (muffled instead of clicky) could reflect the reduced damage or something. Since we're going to keep those, might as well make them somewhat useful.

• Upvote (+1) 4
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I mean I agree with the whole sentiment overall, that kill shouldn't have happened at all, but I will say this. I don't really have a problem with the range itself and the AR actually being possible to retain long range accuracy with... personally, I think it's a better concept than randomness.

HOWEVER, there should be a damage fall off mechanic or something. Since the gun is hitscan and we can't implement skill through leading shots, then instead, past a certain range, the AR should do reduced damage. 

Hitmarker color (dimmed out) or sound (muffled instead of clicky) could reflect the reduced damage or something. Since we're going to keep those, might as well make them somewhat useful.

I've always thought that damage drop off would have been better than Bloom because long range kill potential is exactly what they were trying to address with bloom. An accurate automatic with damage drop off is 100x more preferable than an automatic with spread but with the same damage no matter what range, IMO. 

Edit: Most preferable would be an AR similar to the Lightning Rifle in Quake. But it has to be hard to use and most Halo players won't like that. 

• Upvote (+1) 4

The only thing about damage drop off is that it's such an anti-arena shooter philosophy. Ideally the spread should be the only single factor NEEDED to limit the range, but...ya know. There's like no spread.

• Upvote (+1) 1

K/D is honestly irrelevant in everything except Slayer, and even then plays/wins matter more than raw kills. The moment I stopped caring about K/D, the more fun I begun to have playing modern FPS.

I start laughing whenever twitch starts talking shit about a pro going negative in a match during a series... Honestly, baffling how much COD has made people care about this stat.

To actually answer your question, theoretically the ranking system should naturally bring people down to a 1.0 K/D. This means that some games you'll do good and others not so much because your opponents will always be roughly the same skill level.

Sometimes this style of matchmaking gets old, but I get why they do it. Still, I relish games where you stomp some games, get stomped others and know when you're getting better. In theory you're supposed to just rank your way up in perfectly balance match-made games, but it can feel like you're never going anywhere. So much happens in the algorithm behind the scenes.

Why don't we leave spread as dead as it should be and just push for actual utility weapons that are not shit?

I'd rather have a strong assault rifle that gets beat by an even stronger utility weapon than a nerfed AR losing against a magnum that doesn't deserve to be called a utility weapon.