CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

Good god. Revert whatever changes were made to matchmaking recently. Constant laggy matches.

Oh so it wasn't just me? Thank goodness. Was about to flip if my internet started shitting on me again lmao. I have noticed there are more laggy games than the usual the last 2-3 days

Oh so it wasn't just me? Thank goodness. Was about to flip if my internet started shitting on me again lmao. I have noticed there are more laggy games than the usual the last 2-3 days

I've had like 5 laggy games since launch. Like three of them were in the past few days.

1/50 

It's the only skill-based system I've ever encountered which didn't feel like a pure grind fest, and yet also didn't reset every 4-8 weeks.  It's rewarding as hell to everyone who wants to get better, but is not a 50.  That's why people paid money for 50's.  When a simple "50" starts commanding bills, you're doing something right.  Ditching it because a very small number of people are ridiculous enough to pay that money =/= moronic and lazy...certainly far from creative and innovative.  

1/50 could be quite a grind! although h5's resets should include your placement from previous seasons visible in your profile.

How is the current ranking system not encouraging everyone to get better? It's definitely worked on me. also are you trying to say ditching it because of boosters was moronic and lazy, or wasn't? cause that =/= doesn't really make sense there

is this a reply to my post or did you misquote, because this has very little to do with what i posted

but to your point, I get that you want "old halo" whatever that means, back.  That's fair! but the makers of Halo may not think that's the best business decision for their property, which doesn't necessarily mean they're stupid, or "not listening", however much that decision might suck

It was a direct reply, yes. It was about precisely what you're talking about too.

How do you know it's good for their business? I can tell it's not satisfying the majority of the pre-existing fanbase.  Just among my group of friends who played Halo 2 and 3 together - Reach and Halo 4 knocked more than half of them out of interest for the series entirely.  Halo 5 has put the finishing touches on another.  They didn't quit playing Halo because they stopped liking Halo.  They quit because Halo stopped being made in their eyes.

Show me something that says these seemingly arbitrary changes are good for business.  Other than the REQ system, I cannot find one thing that's good for the wallets of MS. I'm all ears, dude.  For real.  Let's hear it.

• Upvote (+1) 6

It's the only skill-based system I've ever encountered which didn't feel like a pure grind fest, and yet also didn't reset every 4-8 weeks.  It's rewarding as hell to everyone who wants to get better, but is not a 50.  That's why people paid money for 50's.  When a simple "50" starts commanding bills, you're doing something right.  Ditching it because a very small number of people are ridiculous enough to pay that money =/= moronic and lazy...certainly far from creative and innovative.  

Edit: And I'll argue there STILL are very few alternatives to the 1-50.  You can call H5's rank system an alternative, but I honestly don't consider it to be a rank system because I could not care less about my rank in Halo 5.  Couldnt' care less about my rank in Reach.  Wanted to in 4, but we just scrapped all visible ranks that time.  What I don't get is why people fight something so many have plead just to be returned into a game!

you personally not caring about your rank in h5 isn't evidence that the system doesn't work, or isn't a rank system. I care about my rank in h5! so our anecdotal claims cancel each other out.

Also outside of a few vocal niches, i'm not sure there's a huge, yearning call for specifically 1-50.  I uh...vastly prefer this system to 1-50.

1/50 

1/50 could be quite a grind! although h5's resets should include your placement from previous seasons visible in your profile.

How is the current ranking system not encouraging everyone to get better? It's definitely worked on me. also are you trying to say ditching it because of boosters was moronic and lazy, or wasn't? cause that =/= doesn't really make sense there

I'm saying ditching the 1-50 just because a small number of people tried and/or managed to exploit it (because 50's were cool) is lazy and moronic. 

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

you personally not caring about your rank in h5 isn't evidence that the system doesn't work, or isn't a rank system. I care about my rank in h5! so our anecdotal claims cancel each other out.

Also outside of a few vocal niches, i'm not sure there's a huge, yearning call for specifically 1-50. I uh...vastly prefer this system to 1-50.

A lot of people want the 1-50 and a lot of people are upset that their ranks reset so often. You can't just change the way every Halo game has ranked people and expect everyone to just accept it, even if it's better. It's just like Bungie changing the starting weapons all the time, people argue TO THIS DAY about what weapon we should start with.
  • Upvote (+1) 3

I've had like 5 laggy games since launch. Like three of them were in the past few days.

=( saw bravo responded to your tweet. You should tell him it's multiple people, not just you.

Also outside of a few vocal niches, i'm not sure there's a huge, yearning call for specifically 1-50.  I uh...vastly prefer this system to 1-50.

Even if you're right. Was there ever an outcry for a change from the 1-50?  No.  Oh, so there's a lack of outcry for change now?  Well isn't that convenient? Personally, I'd argue it's really just apathetic/defeated silence, but either way, I never once heard someone plead for the 1-50 to be removed.  I heard suggestions for improvements, and received messages offering to sell me 50's...but never once heard a request for removal.  It's gone nonetheless.

• Upvote (+1) 2

It was a direct reply, yes. It was about precisely what you're talking about too.

How do you know it's good for their business. I can tell it's not satisfying the majority of the pre-existing fanbase.  Just among my group of friends who played Halo 2 and 3 together - Reach and Halo 4 knocked more than half of them out of interest for the series entirely.  Halo 5 has put the finishing touches on another.  They didn't quit playing Halo because they stopped liking Halo.  They quit because Halo stopped being made in their eyes.

Show me something that says these seemingly arbitrary changes are good for business.  Other than the REQ system, I cannot find one thing that's good for the wallets of MS. I'm all ears, dude.  For real.  Let's hear it.

First, this operates on the assumption that the "pre-existing fanbase" is comprised of people mostly like you, which, judging from your posting on a niche internet forum at 4:30 in the afternoon on a Wednesday, is NOT an accurate assumption.  Second, I'm not privy to MS or 343's business plan! I also don't have market researchers or any way to accumulate or analyze consumer data.  But I do know that the market for console games and console multiplayer shooters specifically is different in 2016 than it was in 2004.  This probably affects decisions made about game design!

Maybe those are bad decisions, and maybe some are made as tradeoffs, trying to appease OG competitive halo fans while bringing in a new audience.  Maybe they're all awful! But they're probably not done specifically to spite posters on teambeyond.net, or to destroy halo, or out of stupidity.

• Downvote (-1) 2

=( saw bravo responded to your tweet. You should tell him it's multiple people, not just you.

Of course Moa gets a reply, when i've not had one for months. Still pretty sure I'm on some kind of "do not reply" list for twitter ha

EDIT: Got a response from that other dudes reply feed, thanks bravo if you're seeing this ;)

But even in those top 10, those sequels come out ore frequently, and each sequel retains some player base that might otherwise be playing halo. And there are other games outside the top ten (lots of them!) that siphon off players.

Sports games always released yearly. Battlefront/battlefield is on a slower release schedule now. COD still releases every year. Fallout is on the same release pattern. What exactly are you talking about here?

And these outside top 10 games siphon more players from halo than the other 10 games? That makes no sense.

• Upvote (+1) 1

also i want a lot of changes to h5 but it's really fun and is the most fun i've had with halo since h3 so w/e yolo

• Upvote (+1) 1

Sports games always released yearly. Battlefront/battlefield is on a slower release schedule now. COD still releases every year. Fallout is on the same release pattern. What exactly are you talking about here?

And these outside top 10 games siphon more players from halo than the other 10 games? That makes no sense.

You're right in saying that makes no sense. It's also not what I said.  many games outside the top 10 still have many players playing! Those players aren't playing halo 5. 

As to the top 10 games, Battlefield is still on a faster release schedule than halo, as are all these other games ( and ones outside the top ten!) those are at least temporary drains on potential halo population.

There are just a lot more multiplayer games to play now

that makes no sense, and is also not what I said.  many games outside the top 10 still have many players playing! Those players aren't playing halo 5. 

As to the top 10 games, Battlefield is still on a faster release schedule than halo, as are all these other games ( and ones outside the top ten!) those are at least temporary drains on potential halo population.

The argument that Halo isn't in the top 10 anymore because there's more multiplayer games available now is like saying that it was only in the top 10 before because there was nothing better to play. Bullshit, Halo has lost its roots and its not just us saying it. Like others here I've had several friends who dropped the franchise at Reach and 4 (Specially the latter) because it no longer felt like Halo.

• Upvote (+1) 2

First, this operates on the assumption that the "pre-existing fanbase" is comprised of people mostly like you, which, judging from your posting on a niche internet forum at 4:30 in the afternoon on a Wednesday, is NOT an accurate assumption.  Second, I'm not privy to MS or 343's business plan! I also don't have market researchers or any way to accumulate or analyze consumer data.  But I do know that the market for console games and console multiplayer shooters specifically is different in 2016 than it was in 2004.  This probably affects decisions made about game design!

Maybe those are bad decisions, and maybe some are made as tradeoffs, trying to appease OG competitive halo fans while bringing in a new audience.  Maybe they're all awful! But they're probably not done specifically to spite posters on teambeyond.net, or to destroy halo, or out of stupidity.

I don't think it's done in spite of anyone in particular.  I just see the fruits of the labor being underwhelming and unimpressive.  What "data" influences the labor is a mystery to all of us, and until I hear something fairly specific and compelling, my opinion that they are royally screwing up will remain unchanged.

Now, you are right to say I do not represent the average fan/no one here does.  Still, your point truly only holds water if we ignore the fact that these changes started with Halo Reach; a time when Halo was topping COD in terms of both sales and player population on Xbox 360.  If you really want to get into this, then you have to realize Halo's changes occurred BEFORE all of the industry's more significant changes came about. If not before, then eerily on pace with them.  So, I guess my rebuttal is . . . Why the change with Halo: Reach?  

At what point does offering a unique product with some sense of brand consistency finally receive the consideration here in the forums that it demands in the real world each and every day?

that makes no sense, and is also not what I said. many games outside the top 10 still have many players playing! Those players aren't playing halo 5.

I understand what you said. Its just irrelevant to halo's standing in the xbl top 10. It helps explain the overall population number, but not population standing as there is no reason to believe these games draw more population from halo than they do from other games.

But those games have always been on faster dev cycles than halo.

• Upvote (+1) 1

The argument that Halo isn't in the top 10 anymore because there's more multiplayer games available now is like saying that it was only in the top 10 before because there was nothing better to play. Bullshit, Halo has lost its roots and its not just us saying it. Like others here I've had several friends who dropped the franchise at Reach and 4 (Specially the latter) because it no longer felt like Halo.

That's not what it's like saying.  Maybe Halo lost its roots! But there was also WAY less competent competition back then.

• Downvote (-1) 2

Of course Moa gets a reply, when i've not had one for months. Still pretty sure I'm on some kind of "do not reply" list for twitter ha

EDIT: Got a response from that other dudes reply feed, thanks bravo if you're seeing this ;)

Hahaha! Moa is well liked at 343 so that doesn't surprise me haha
  • Upvote (+1) 2

I understand what you said. Its just irrelevant to halo's standing in the xbl top 10. It helps explain the overall population number, but not population standing as there is no reason to believe these games draw more population from halo than they do from other games.

But those games have always been on faster dev cycles than halo.

Okay, but you literally misstated what I said when you said "games outside the top ten siphon off more players than games inside hte top ten."

I don't think they draw more population from halo than they do other games.  I think each game's average population is likely lower because player bases are more spread out over a large number of titles with competent online components.

I just shamelessly piggy backed on Moa's tweet. He is a well known member of the community it only makes sense.

I guess my main point is this: You can certainly argue halo has lost its roots, or sucks now, or whatever, but even if it had maintained its roots, the market is vastly different now than 2004 so comparing population or Xbox Live top 10 placement from now to back in the early H3 days is probably not a great use of mental and emotional energy.

Hahaha! Moa is well liked at 343 so that doesn't surprise me haha

ot42bOq.gif

• Upvote (+1) 9

I don't think they draw more population from halo than they do other games. I think each game's average population is likely lower because player bases are more spread out over a large number of titles with competent online components.

So how does this factor in to h5 being in 10th place? If these games affect every game in the top 10 equally how are they part of the reason h5 is in 10th?

• Upvote (+1) 1