CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

"I still don't see why it matters if a developer chooses to interact with the Halo community on a Halo community website."

I do, that's why I'm asking why they don't interact with the community on the official website they built to do that exact thing.

I'd tell you why but community bashing isn't allowed.

• Upvote (+1) 1

If you think that you really haven't been around here long. 

No I don't spend time on forums. I've only been looking at them since launch of H5. I haven't owned or had an xbox from Reach until a few months ago when I bought MCC and found it to be a broken pos. 

"I still don't see why it matters if a developer chooses to interact with the Halo community on a Halo community website."

I do, that's why I'm asking why they don't interact with the community on the official website they built to do that exact thing. 

What does it matter? 

The developer is still interacting with the community, regardless of where it happens. If anything is significant, it makes its way to other websites.

There has been times when Josh or Frank have posted on Waypoint and people have posted it here, r/Halo, NeoGAF, Forge Hub, etc.

Well, why not just reset both each season?

Because MMR systems are more accurate over time. It's hard to guage player skill with a small sample size. A ranking/matchmaking system has to balance multiple goals - you shouldn't sacrifice the ability to match make evenly at the start of a new season just to balance the Champion threshold.

Resetting MMR each season would make it harder to accurately rank people. Throwing a "Champion" player against a Gold player without the system having any notion of the distinction doesn't benefit either player.

Well, I'm looking forward to when the said adjustments happen because I've been bringing it up for a little over 3 months now, made videos and dozens of posts on it, and the result is that I've been sitting in front of a screen that turns red every 5 minutes or so for the past 2 hours.

I don't see how anyone can be content with the ranks are they are, considering they don't even do their intended job of representing skill. If the top 1% can't even find games, their potential opponents are facing easier opponents, which means ranking up isn't as hard, and this creates a ripple effect where all ranks in the game are higher than intended (which was proved to be a problem at an earlier stage of the game).

And of course, none of this goes over the frustration that people who can't find games go through. I'm sure my last few posts have been conveying it, but it's very irritating.

Of course none of this is targeted at you in particular and I hope you realize this much... but man. I just wanna game.

then 1v1 me 0n my map scrubz!1!

You're taking something I'm saying and then bringing up something completey different. Necessity for rank resets have nothing to do with your ability to find matches. I don't disagree with you, high MMR players should be able to find matches and I'm sure adjustments will be made to allow it.

Question that is related to this subject. Since the Matchmaking tests have begun the other day, i'm seriously struggling to find a game on my main account. What changes have been made and are they permanent as at this stage once it gets passed midnight in the UK I cant find a game in certain playlists where before I could play at any hour of the day and get matched up in a minute.

Im not gunna lie especially that first video is very impressive, but as good as you aiming is it wasn't that twitchy. For me to get the the feeling that I want I've had to push to maximum aim settings, and it's still not maleable to a comfortable point that I'm used to in Reach and CE. The pistol is definitely the most 'free' weapon in the sandbox and is definitely the one a lot of people prefer to use because of it's feel, even though it's relatively weak. But with weapons like the DMR and sniper the slowness is amplified 10x. That vid of lethul trickshotting is soooooo fucking sluggish compared to the trickshotting we usually see with H2 and 3. There's a reason why hyena didn't feel like doing vids for H5, that's definitely one of them. Feels like aiming a fucking turret, no joke.

That's what I'm talking about, you can see how much of a difference that is. It's such a noticeable thing you can tell just by watching the reticle. Holy shit like I'm not saying the betas was perfect, I didn't play it, but it would be sooooooooo much better, I might actually want to play the game.

Alright fair enough, those weren't particularly good examples of twitchy aiming, more just making the point that SWAT isn't all about preaiming.

That said, I usually play with aim acceleration set to 2 so it is quite slow. I put the acceleration up to 5 and a had a game and it's much more twitchy:

http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/Il%20MeanBean%20lI/video/14456495

http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/Il%20MeanBean%20lI/video/14456470

What settings do you use?

Normally I use:

Sensitivity - 4
Acceleration - 2
Outer Deadzone - 5%
Inner Deadzone - 0%

In the clips I linked above it's the same except the acceleration is 5.

It seems newer accounts rank up faster once they place in onyx. While older accounts hardly move from wins. It takes too long to get games on my main account. Its frustrating to see this problem still exists. I don't have time to wait 5 minutes between each game.

So, today was my first day back on since BO3 dropped. I was pretty horrible, but was hoping to get back into it with the new season, somehow I placed onyx 1700, which is so far above where I should be. How is this happening!? I was hoping to place plat so I could get back into the game but now I'm just running into champs and other high onyx every game. Each season should be a fresh start surely?

Question that is related to this subject. Since the Matchmaking tests have begun the other day, i'm seriously struggling to find a game on my main account. What changes have been made and are they permanent as at this stage once it gets passed midnight in the UK I cant find a game in certain playlists where before I could play at any hour of the day and get matched up in a minute.

Sorry man, I don't have any formal or specific details on that. Defintely not my area.

Alright fair enough, those weren't particularly good examples of twitchy aiming, more just making the point that SWAT isn't all about preaiming.

That said, I usually play with aim acceleration set to 2 so it is quite slow. I put the acceleration up to 5 and a had a game and it's much more twitchy:

http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/Il%20MeanBean%20lI/video/14456495

http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/Il%20MeanBean%20lI/video/14456470

Normally I use:

Sensitivity - 4

Acceleration - 2

Outer Deadzone - 5%

Inner Deadzone - 0%

In the clips I linked above it's the same except the acceleration is 5.

Do you happen to have an elite controller?

Sorry man, I don't have any formal or specific details on that. Defintely not my area.

Thanks anyway man. I tweeted the people who's area it is but as per usual they won't respond to me on twitter.

Just FYI, your efforts to answer questions is much appreciated even though they're not always associated with your department.

On another note, it'd be fun to get in on the beyond warzone games instead of being on the receiving end of the crushing lol...

Resets are necessary for a ranking system of this type to do what it is meant to do... accurately represent someone's skill and foster competitive matches. If there were never a reset, those in Champion would be able to grind the CSR threshold so high, that newer players (no matter how incredibly good they are) would never be able to get in. So, the next Snip3down starts playing Halo, but can't get into Champion because he hasn't been playing since launch. When this is the case, the ranking system isn't doing its job and accurately representing someone's skill.

Same thing is done in League of Legends and Starcraft for that exact reason.

The 1-50 rank system always managed to provide a rewarding challenge, and did so without needing to be reset unless 50's were achieved (small % of players).  It wasn't perfect, but nothing is.  Still, it never needed to be replaced, nobody asked for it to be replaced, and only after it was arbitrarily removed and replaced did a Halo rank system bump into real trouble. I understand you like your League of Legends and Starcraft stuff, but myself and many others want our Halo stuff back.  

I've played H5 quite a bit.  Though, the only reason I play it today is to chase down a remake of a BR that was part of the game which first compelled me to care enough to try and reach you with common sense and sincerity here today.  

Every single 343 game is a disappointment, and it's not because of a lack of talent either.  It's because we're sitting here discussing what's up with League of Legend's rank system . . . because it's been copy/pasted/shoehorned into the latest Halo game. Waste of god damn time!

• Upvote (+1) 3

It seems like people are treating the Rank system and the Matchmaking system as the same thing (not everybody, but a lot of folks).  Lets remember that if you get ranked as a high onyx and are in fact a high onyx, then the RANK system is working as it should.  If you can't find games then its the matchmaking system that is fucked.

I wonder if there is any calculation in the matchmaking system that accommodates for time of day and player population in your region?  If there isnt, there should be.

Okay fam, need some help. My MC controller is giving out on me. The left thumbstick is having issues recognizing backwards and forwards inputs. It's something that has gotten progressively worse over time and now its gotten to the point where any backwards input I do doesn't register.

I've bought and returned 3 of these things right before Halo 5 came out due to various issues and now my 3rd is crapping out on me in just over 3 months.

Anyone have some hints on what to do? Contact MS? Homebrew fixes? I'm at a loss here but these controllers have been nothing but trouble for me.

Nah, I play on one of the old X1 controllers without the audio jack and the weird bumpers.

lol me too, the bumpers are aweful.  I want a new controller but i might as well save up and get an elite.

Okay fam, need some help. My MC controller is giving out on me. The left thumbstick is having issues recognizing backwards and forwards inputs. It's something that has gotten progressively worse over time and now its gotten to the point where any backwards input I do doesn't register.

I've bought and returned 3 of these things right before Halo 5 came out due to various issues and now my 3rd is crapping out on me in just over 3 months.

Anyone have some hints on what to do? Contact MS? Homebrew fixes? I'm at a loss here but these controllers have been nothing but trouble for me.

I've heard a lot of people having issues with the Locke/Chief controllers. Sounds like they just have shitty build quality. 

If possible, just get a standard controller.