CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

I always thought the entire point of the wrist piece was to allow the player to affect the part of their model that they actually see. Like, sure, I doubt anyone else will realize that I'm wearing the Bracer attachment, but it's literally in my face for me.

Yeah, and I can see my entire wrist being changed, over a quarter, or half of it being changed. Giving me a tacpad in Reach is something I "may" see, but changing my wrist's visual balance entirely from Recruit to Helioskrill is something I'm sure to notice. That's why I prefer overall change, compared to pieces.

Yeah, and I can see my entire wrist being changed, over a quarter, or half of it being changed. Giving me a tacpad in Reach is something I "may" see, but changing my wrist's visual balance entirely from Recruit to Helioskrill is something I'm sure to notice. That's why I prefer overall change, compared to pieces.

I mean, you ARE going to notice it if you play the game. The support arm for the DMR first person view (which is the arm with the attachment)  takes up a decent amount of real estate on the screen.

If you ask me, the best armor system would be a combination of Reach's and 4. Instead of skins for the various armor pieces, just give them attachments. A big reason why I loved the art design from Reach was the fact that the Spartans actually looked like super SOLDIERS, what with their various ammo pouches and extra gear. Meanwhile, the Spartan-IVs in their GEN2 simply look too... vanilla, for the sake of a better word. The armor lacks any personality, and the fact that there's no clear location for ammunition (aside from Soldier and that one other armor set) makes the Spartan look like they should be using some sort of laser gun, rather than a more traditional firearm.

• Upvote (+1) 1

the tac pad was on the left arm, so you would never see it. This is one of the areas I fault reach on, it wasn't as total as 4 allowed, it just had the benefit of that bungie art style, and those little nuances like helmet add ons.

reach was not perfect, but you could really inject personality into your Spartan I thought, halo 4 also allowed this, by virtue of the bits bobs aspect, however the art style made them all seem the same. Had we had reachs art style with an expanded version of halo 4s style, we would really see some good variety, more so than now potentially.

And that's ultimately the worst thing about the current customization in my mind. We lose soooo much potential on being able to have new and innovative customization, but we've been relegated to simplicity.

Eh, I don't generally agree with that, but meh, at a base, that speculation seems more opinionated, given it hasn't happened, and there're points swinging it both ways.

Towards the latter, what exactly would be the "point" of complex customization? Don't get me wrong, I like it for the illusion of difference and such, but in the end, it did nothing to really enhance my gameplay, and I never noticed anyone's armor idiosyncrasies past the helmet and chest (Past lobbies) in older titles. I get that it could potentially impact the player's experience, but Halo hasn't been a game where you present yourself visually, actively. Hell, Halo 5 was the first to actually emphasize it with the intro and outros to each game in Arena. I dunno, to me, it seems like a waste to dump so much time into something that'll be rarely seen, especially when the game's genre doesn't currently lend itself to showcasing visual appearances and such, unlike say, Skyrim or an MMO. 

Of course, this doesn't stop me from being a fashion "designer" about people's armor, but the point stands. 

24 hour ban because I refuse to play with *******.

Then search with a full team. Enjoy your ban.

Fuck I knew I sucked at halo but this is a whole new level

Seriously nearly every game this is happening and it cost me so many games for my placements. Did they do anything at the start of this season? It only started this bullshit last night.

They adjusted some matchmaking stuff, yeah.

Towards the latter, what exactly would be the "point" of complex customization? Don't get me wrong, I like it for the illusion of difference and such, but in the end, it did nothing to really enhance my gameplay

I mean, you can say the exact same thing about graphics, yet time and time again, we've seen features cut in order to preserve a game's fidelity. I'm sure if Halo 5 chose to turned down the visuals, we could have had split-screen, larger environments, higher enemy/player caps, etc etc.

I work on Halo's equivalent to the Unreal engine. 

When you have the time, please go and knockout the buffoons in charge of the vehicle and splatter physics.

I mean, you can say the exact same thing about graphics, yet time and time again, we've seen features cut in order to preserve a game's fidelity. I'm sure if Halo 5 chose to turned down the visuals, we could have had split-screen, larger environments, higher enemy/player caps, etc etc.

That doesn't really answer my question, though. I get the point about graphics, and fidelity, but that doesn't mesh with player customization.

Then search with a full team. Enjoy your ban.

They adjusted some matchmaking stuff, yeah.

Well that's nice to know. I hope they revert it soon. I've been enjoying the game lately until last night where I can't wait to stop playing.

That doesn't really answer my question, though. I get the point about graphics, and fidelity, but that doesn't mesh with player customization.

Players like to create their own character, and play as them. Just like any thing else a person creates, there's an almost parental attachment that they develop. The player having this sort of attachment about something in your game can only be a benefit.

Players like to create their own character, and play as them. Just like any thing else a person creates, there's an almost parental attachment that they develop.

Eh, I find that to be a generally shaky argument. Once you enter a game, and begin slaying, the last thing on your mind is the idea that you're playing as a customized avatar that you created. I mean, outside of role-play.

Every gun except the pistol ruins this whole game for me. It's sad your utility weapon makes up an average of only 33% of your kills. Why are there so many guns in this game? And they are all the easiest they've been in the entire franchise.

Eh, I find that to be a generally shaky argument. Once you enter a game, and begin slaying, the last thing on your mind is the idea that you're playing as a customized avatar that you created. I mean, outside of role-play.

You can go ahead and believe what you want to believe, but you wouldn't bother customizing your Spartan in the first place if you truly didn't care.

• Upvote (+1) 1

You can go ahead and believe what you want to believe, but you wouldn't bother customizing your Spartan in the first place if you truly didn't care.

I didn't say I didn't care, did I? 

I didn't say I didn't care, did I? 

Why would you bother asking why player customization mattered? Aside from just trying to justify the lack of customization in Halo 5.

Eh, I don't generally agree with that, but meh, at a base, that speculation seems more opinionated, given it hasn't happened, and there're points swinging it both ways.

Towards the latter, what exactly would be the "point" of complex customization? Don't get me wrong, I like it for the illusion of difference and such, but in the end, it did nothing to really enhance my gameplay, and I never noticed anyone's armor idiosyncrasies past the helmet and chest (Past lobbies) in older titles. I get that it could potentially impact the player's experience, but Halo hasn't been a game where you present yourself visually, actively. Hell, Halo 5 was the first to actually emphasize it with the intro and outros to each game in Arena. I dunno, to me, it seems like a waste to dump so much time into something that'll be rarely seen, especially when the game's genre doesn't currently lend itself to showcasing visual appearances and such, unlike say, Skyrim or an MMO.

Of course, this doesn't stop me from being a fashion "designer" about people's armor, but the point stands.

thats a question you can ask about customization in general though, especially in a fps, the way halo is played, you're not going to focus on what players look like since the engagements are too short, unless halo goes full class based, and allow for entirely different characters visually instead of Spartans(i.e elites) you simply aren't going to notice it all that much during actual gameplay. The reality about customization is that it's more personal than anything else, what you're player looks like to you, and that's the point, allowing greater depth can allow for the individual to create a character that THEY want to look at, more depth is inherently better at this than a more minimalist approach like we have now(disregarding art style)

Of course, you can have the game showcase players like halo 5 does, that doesn't change the highly personal nature of customization at its core.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Why would you bother asking why player customization mattered? Aside from just trying to justify the lack of customization in Halo 5.

Because I'm genuinely curious as to why it mattered so much in a game where its only noticeable presence is before gameplay starts, and when it ends.  And that wasn't to justify Halo 5's lack of it. I was speaking ENTIRELY about Halo, as a whole.

Because I'm genuinely curious as to why it mattered so much in a game where its only noticeable presence is before gameplay starts, and when it ends.  And that wasn't to justify Halo 5's lack of it. I was speaking ENTIRELY about Halo, as a whole.

I've already told you why it mattered. You simply disregarding the answer was your choice.

And that wasn't to justify Halo 5's lack of it.

we all know your a secret 343 employee raven, time to stop hiding it and come clean as a shill :kappa:

I've already told you why it mattered. You simply disregarding the answer was your choice.

I didn't disregard it. I just put it in an incorrect tense, in my tired state. I GET why it matters to you, I was just answering your "why bother" question. 

we all know your a secret 343 employee raven, time to stop hiding it and come clean as a shill :kappa:

I'll come clean. I work at 434 Studios; the same ones who brought you the critically panned Halo 3: Reach. I think you'll love our next game: Halo 7 Badonkadonks. Premiere gameplay functions include a 125% movement increase with sprint, recharging shields while sprinting, and the Storm Rifle as a starting weapon in Breakout, our premiere Arena gametype for our MLG driven game

Towards the latter, what exactly would be the "point" of complex customization? Don't get me wrong, I like it for the illusion of difference and such, but in the end, it did nothing to really enhance my gameplay, and I never noticed anyone's armor idiosyncrasies past the helmet and chest (Past lobbies) in older titles. I get that it could potentially impact the player's experience, but Halo hasn't been a game where you present yourself visually, actively. Hell, Halo 5 was the first to actually emphasize it with the intro and outros to each game in Arena. I dunno, to me, it seems like a waste to dump so much time into something that'll be rarely seen, especially when the game's genre doesn't currently lend itself to showcasing visual appearances and such, unlike say, Skyrim or an MMO.

Not really. In Reach your armour was plastered on the lobby so everyone saw it in detail. When the game was fresh you noticed things like Emile's EVA, or a Breacher wrist when very few people had them. If anything it was the ultimate showcase of customisation which I gaurantee kept some people playing.

The details do matter. There's a reason why NFS Underground 2 is considered the all time best racer for customisation. Options. You had a lot. Even for things that nobody ever saw like the sound system and engine neon had an abundance of options to make things your own, and every little detail added to the considerations and thoughts you put into how it looked. It made your cars extremely personal, even when you were playing all by yourself, or just had aome mates over to show. A similiar game MC:LA had a lot of customisation options including interior lights and license plates including designs from all american states. I grew a huge connections to the cars I customised as well as the decal sets I specifically designed for them. I would post them here in a heartbeat because they're a perfect example of what customisation can mean to a player.

Halo 5 has not only taken away design option and depth by restricting armour to two pieces, but have killed almost all sense of pride by making them recieved by RNG. Not only the armour customisation, but also custom emblems and weapon skins. Something Halo was easily the best at is now being completely shat on by CoD.

The player showcase in pre/post game is the only positive thing they've done. But guess what, Destiny did it a year before, and CoD does it 10x better! What a fucking surprise!

• Upvote (+1) 3