CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

This is all I've ever wanted to hear from anyone who works at 343. "I don't necessarily have the information you desire and there are some things I'm not allowed to talk about, but I recognize that you have misgivings with the game." Even if you can't help us nail down stuff like the aiming discrepancy, the fact that someone at least cares enough to respect that I have an issue with it does wonders for my blood pressure. 

I think I'd still be curious to know some aspects of your side of the job. For example, Frankie once said (in a rare slip-up where he actually conveyed something helpful to our overall understanding) that the controller code for Halo still mostly originates from the very first title in the series, and that's why custom button mapping hasn't made an appearance in Halo yet. Is this something that you could possibly corroborate? As well as all the engines of Halo, there's some argument as to whether they are all built on virtually the same engine with minor tweaks through each iteration, is that the best way of looking at it?

Gotta say. I like Frankie. Even though hes not helpful in any way I find him kinda funny to watch at Cons and stuff. Like when those two people got married on stage at one Con and he was just messing with them.

Gotta say. I like Frankie. Even though hes not helpful in any way I find him kinda funny to watch at Cons and stuff. Like when those two people got married on stage at one Con and he was just messing with them.

Eccentricities are endearing when you're on good terms with someone. 

Kind of why I don't find PIIIIZZZZAAAAAAAA all that entertaining when I can't even play the game enjoyably because the mud aiming. 

• Upvote (+1) 7

Eccentricities are endearing when you're on good terms with someone.

Kind of why I don't find PIIIIZZZZAAAAAAAA all that entertaining when I can't even play the game enjoyably because the mud aiming.

that whole trailer is a perfect representation of 343s use of the halo property as a whole. You would never, EVER hear any sort of edm, or see any of those ridiculous skins in anything related to halo when bungie was running things(not to say bungie was exactly perfect).
  • Upvote (+1) 5

Man, 343 really dropped the ball with Recon. The model uses the contoured arms from 4 (which are probably the ugliest arms, honestly), and the secondary color ONLY applies to a weird string pattern on the Spartan's little thrusters.

I honestly can't help but wonder if 343 intended this, since there's very few common armors that have forced colors, instead of using the player's choice of secondary. Especially since the pattern on the base armor looks very typical of other low-rarity sets.

Man, 343 really dropped the ball with Recon. The model uses the contoured arms from 4 (which are probably the ugliest arms, honestly), and the secondary color ONLY applies to a weird string pattern on the Spartan's little thrusters.

I honestly can't help but wonder if 343 intended this, since there's very few common armors that have forced colors, instead of using the player's choice of secondary. Especially since the pattern on the base armor looks very typical of other low-rarity sets.

even if you're a fan of halo 5, player choice is thrown out the window in the game, emblem customization is dumbed down, as is armor customization, gametype customization, it really is ridiculous to me that we couldn't expand upon what reach and 4 gave us in these regards.
  • Upvote (+1) 6

that whole trailer is a perfect representation of 343s use of the halo property as a whole. You would never, EVER hear any sort of edm, or see any of those ridiculous skins in anything related to halo when bungie was running things(not to say bungie was exactly perfect).

Remember, the game is Rated T now. They're trying to attract CoD and Battlefield kids with EDM and flashy lights and cuts in their commercials so they can buy the game, play it for a while, and buy some  REQ packs.

even if you're a fan of halo 5, player choice is thrown out the window in the game, emblem customization is dumbed down, as is armor customization, gametype customization.

Meh. Emblem customization, while dumbed down in one area, also provides a customized player nameplate. My complaints mainly rest on color choice. Dunno why it's predetermined. Armor customization, while minimalist, provides much more variety in terms of appearance, something mass amounts of customization did not do in past games due to how art design works. Gametype customization is thrown out the window? Okay. Past a few options, such as weapon selections (Random, and none) being absent originally, the new options are on par with, if not better than what we had in the past.

• Upvote (+1) 1

GGs beyond people, its nice to be in a Warzone party that doesn't camp the core for 10 mins.

Yeah, we don't play like asshats. It's actually fun, right?

Meh. Emblem customization, while dumbed down in one area, also provides a customized player nameplate. 

I mean, we technically had both in MCC. There was really no reason why Emblems had to be assimilated into nameplates.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Meh. Emblem customization, while dumbed down in one area, also provides a customized player nameplate. My complaints mainly rest on color choice. Dunno why it's predetermined. Armor customization, while minimalist, provides much more variety in terms of appearance, something mass amounts of customization did not do in past games due to how art design works. Gametype customization is thrown out the window? Okay. Past a few options, such as weapon selections (Random, and none) being absent originally, the new options are on par with, if not better than what we had in the past.

simplicity could allow for this exact same problem though regardless(albeit for different reasons), and to an extent it currently is, a lot of these armor sets look homogenized because of the art style more so than in reach for example. Before you could adhere to a specific set, or you could mix and match, but here, yeah we have a lot of sets, but with barely anything to do with them, Despite the fact that we could still have a shit ton of sets and be able to customize them individually, those too things aren't mutually exclusive. With gametypes, I don't mean player traits, those are actually good in this game, but there's little we can do with the settings for actual gametypes themselves.
  • Upvote (+1) 2

On the subject of armor: past games may not have had as much variety in terms of individual pieces, but I always felt like it was easier to express myself in the older games. The more the character feels like MY creation, the more I am simply invested in them.

Like, you could could give me an action game where I could choose between 100 extremely varied characters to play as, and one fairly standard custom character that functions like any one else's custom character, and I'd pick that one over anything else in a heartbeat.

not to mention the fact that we could still have a shit ton of sets and be able to customize them individually, those too things aren't mutually exclusive.

You "could", as we did with Halo 4, and look how that turned out. 38 armor sets overall, millions of possibilities, and the quality in customizing them diminished to a point where a constant complaint was "everything looks the same". Seriously, having a shitton of armor, with a shitton of customization with it just leads to a lot of visual stagnation and similarities.

It can be done in practice, but at the cost of overall design. 

I mean, we technically had both in MCC. There was really no reason why Emblems had to be assimilated into nameplates.

We "could" have both, and to the former point, don't forget that the MCC's nameplates were also very repetitive in design. With that, I'd personally guess that them tying emblems in with nameplates was based on the idea that they could "try" a best of both worlds thing, while nicking out the small customized image, with a variety of new ones for players. I dunno, spitballing.

You "could", as we did with Halo 4, and look how that turned out. 38 armor sets overall, millions of possibilities, and the quality in customizing them diminished to a point where a constant complaint was "everything looks the same". Seriously, having a shitton of armor, with a shitton of customization with it just leads to a lot of visual stagnation and similarities.

And that isn't happening with Halo 5? I mean, we have 5 EVA-like helmets, and a lot of the body armor (particularly the Scout set) is reused over and over again for separate sets, with the only difference being the chest piece.

Not to mention, if you actually scroll through the armor menu, very few, if any, of the sets looks like they HAVE to remain as a singular armor piece. Hell, I find that most of the issues with mixng and matching would come from wearing certain chest pieces with certain HELMETS (since Warrior has a more pronounced "chin", it often clips with bulkier chest plates), rather than like, mixing and matching chest and shoulders.

• Upvote (+1) 2

We "could" have both, and to the former point, don't forget that the MCC's nameplates were also very repetitive in design. With that, I'd personally guess that them tying emblems in with nameplates was based on the idea that they could "try" a best of both worlds thing, while nicking out the small customized image, with a variety of new ones for players. I dunno, spitballing.

1e67a8ef768e97657af3d646553480ac.png

A majority of the armor in this game looks the same, if the armor above was in red team each armor would just look like a bunch of different white lines.

• Upvote (+1) 1

people complain about every combination looking the same now though, reach allowed players to make pretty interesting looking Spartans, you could over load on large plates, or small ones, mix them together, etc. it's more a problem with having bad art designers/style, than it is with allowing real depth.
  • Upvote (+1) 3

And that isn't happening with Halo 5? I mean, we have 5 EVA-like helmets, and a lot of the body armor (particularly the Scout set) is reused over and over again for separate sets, with the only difference being the chest piece.

"Partially". I can argue that past Hermes and EVA, (Which past a curve, ARE really similar) one could easily tell that there's a distinct visual difference in gameplay between Rogue, and Buccaneer helmets. Towards things like wrists and such (And shoulders which are reused on some sets) , there IS only so far one could go there.

1e67a8ef768e97657af3d646553480ac.png

A majority of the armor in this game looks the same, if the armor above was in red team each armor would just look like a bunch of different white lines.

Those're skins, bro. When you compare a Spartan wearing Centurion, to one wearing Freebooter, and another with Aviator, you can tell there's a large visual difference between the three.

Has anyone else had really bad connections since the new season started? Only about 30% of my melees are connecting and people aren't dying after I get them one shot no matter how many bullets I put in them.

343 you beautiful SoB's

You fixed the Kills from the grave commendation. To get from Level 3 to Level 4 took 3000 on them. After a tweak, my SC went up to level 4 in Kills from the Grave, and you only need 2400 to get to level 5 from level 4.

• Upvote (+1) 1

people complain about every combination looking the same now though, reach allowed players to make pretty interesting looking Spartans, you could over load on large plates, or small ones, mix them together, etc. it's more a problem with having bad art designers/style, than it is with allowing real depth.

I've seen people complain on how the armor is inflated with skins and such, but not generally on similar appearances. And I may sound contradictory here, but I personally liked Halo 4's style of customization. STYLE mind you. Allowing the player to customize their entire set of leg pauldrons, or wrists was much better than adding a "piece" onto it, to me, which in turn, made many Spartans meld in with one another in Reach. I liked the idea of helmet add ons, had half of them not been needless duplicates of one another, with no literal change to them, as well. It was very easy to see helmet add ons, which I liked though, even with duplicates.

343 you beautiful SoB's

You fixed the Kills from the grave commendation. To get from Level 3 to Level 4 took 3000 on them. After a tweak, my SC went up to level 4 in Kills from the Grave, and you only need 2400 to get to level 5 from level 4.

Thank christ.

I've seen people complain on how the armor is inflated with skins and such, but not generally on similar appearances. And I may sound contradictory here, but I personally liked Halo 4's style of customization. STYLE mind you. Allowing the player to customize their entire set of leg pauldrons, or wrists was much better than adding a "piece" onto it, to me, which in turn, made many Spartans meld in with one another in Reach. I liked the idea of helmet add ons, had half of them not been needless duplicates of one another, with no literal change to them, as well. It was very easy to see helmet add ons, which I liked though, even with duplicates.

I always thought the entire point of the wrist piece was to allow the player to affect the part of their model that they actually see. Without completely replacing that part of the model. Like, sure, I doubt anyone else will realize that I'm wearing the Bracer attachment, but it's literally in my face for me.

reach was not perfect, but you could really inject personality into your Spartan I thought, halo 4 also allowed this, by virtue of the bits bobs aspect, however the art style made them all seem the same. Had we had reachs art style with an expanded version of halo 4s style, we would really see some good variety, more so than now potentially.

And that's ultimately the worst thing about the current customization in my mind. We lose soooo much potential on being able to have new and innovative customization, but we've been relegated to simplicity.

• Upvote (+1) 2