CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

I think it's a great idea, now I won't be punished for having to work all day today. And I won't see champion players with 10 games played a barely positive KD with only like 50% Win/Loss.

Oh I'm totally behind the idea of what it aims to fix, but I'm hesitant about its implementation.

Halo has always been like this.

Instead of firing all rounds into the body or head, only fire at the head when the enemy has no shields. Essentially, with precision weapons you only do extra damage with a headshot when the target has no shields.

Halo has always been like this. Not sure what you're complaining about.

SMH. The Halo 2 & 3 BR was 4 head shots vs 7 body shots. That's profoundly different to 5 head shots vs 6 body shots for the DMR in Halo 5, and where the BR is 4 vs 6, among other atrocities.

SMH. The Halo 2 & 3 BR was 4 head shots vs 7 body shots. That's profoundly different to 5 head shots vs 6 body shots for the DMR in Halo 5, and where the BR is 4 vs 6, among other atrocities.

Those are just the rifles. The Magnum is 4 + 1 and 4 + 3 for headshot and bodyshot kills respectively.

My win ratio sucks because winning every time in FFA is very hard and 2nd place is still a loss. Secondly, win ratio needs to be looked at differently if people play solo or not. There are tons of variables that matter more than win ratio and K/D, especially since K/D can be farmed on BTB.

FFA is a different story. I'm talking about team playlists where players were some of the first 200 to be ranked in a season with terrible win/loss but still manage to hold onto a Champion all season with little to no effort.

FFA is a different story. I'm talking about team playlists where players were some of the first 200 to be ranked in a season with terrible win/loss but still manage to hold onto a Champion all season with little to know effort.

Ah yeah. For some reason I thought you were talking about overall Win% and it's relation to success.

I'm genuinely interested in this sentiment. I'm not faulting you because I feel it too, but the job of a good matchmaking system is to give every player close to a 50% win/loss ratio, and find players that you go roughly 1.0 k/d against. If you're destroying dudes in matchmaking that means: the matchmaking system matched you with too easy of a game and therefore didn't do that good of a job, and that whoever you're playing against certainly isn't having a good time. If you want to quit after getting a 1.0 k/d, wouldn't all the people who you faced on an easier matchup, who almost certainly got dunked on definitely want to quit?

I guess what I'm saying is if getting above a 1.0 k/d is the only way to be satisfied doesn't that lend itself to a sort of entropy, where people who get 1.0 or less in their games drop out and the ones who do better than that consolidate until there's very few people left?

Is it that there is a general dislike for feeling "average", or even struggling to feel average that makes you want to quit? Is it perhaps because there's not a lot of feedback to tell you how you died and maybe how you could have played better? Is there anything the game could do to make you feel like having an even kill/death ratio means you fought a good match vs other skilled opponents and you should feel good about competing well against that team? I feel like more than anything, this is the secret to making a very successful competitive game: having a 50% (or even a little less) success ratio but still feeling like you want to get back in there and try again.

Maybe the matchmaking system shouldn't always optimize for the closest matches. There's a concept of "streak breaking" when dealing with random numbers, and maybe it applies here? If you seem like you're having an off-day (lost 3 matches in a row, finished lowest in k/d) maybe the matchmaking system should throw you a lowball easy game to break your losing streak and help regain your confidence? That match wouldn't be fair and probably not be fun for the opposing team so I don't know how to balance that out. I've got some oddball ideas but I dunno how one would test this stuff without just trying it and seeing if people hate it.

This isn't what people don't like about the game. It's not simply that they are getting matched with players/parties that are equal to them in skill. It's what you have to do in the game in order to do well. You have to sweat in Halo 5. Getting matched up with even games in Halo 2 and 3 was really enjoyable.

Somebody has already said it; in H5 there's so many more things you have to worry about that you shouldn't have to. Ridiculous autos mean that you have to be looking all around you 24/7 to make sure you're not going to get jumped by a Storm/SMG/AR. There's all the sprinting, clambering, sliding, boosting, the game is just much more frantic and fast paced. You almost need an adrenaline shot before getting into a game.

Two things can both require skill while being very different experiences. Compare chess and boxing. In the first one, you're likely sitting in a comfy chair in an air conditioned room. In boxing, you're sweating like mad and constantly getting punched in the face. I know which one I'd rather try to get good at. H5 is a different type of experience from past Halos like 1, 2 and 3, and is more like boxing than chess.

Slightly off topic but does anyone know a good resource I could use to kind of teach how to do the stabilizer jump and maybe some of the other new jumps people have found? Played a bunch when game first came out but had to take a break and coming back into it now and can't seem to find anything going over the stabilizer jump specifically.

I hope you find that passion again. You would be doing a great thing for the community by releasing this book.

However, I would still love to read the current version, even if it is outdated. Better for some form of your book to be released than not being released at all.

I still may finish and release it. I've let a few people look at it and read it and Ive gotten some good feedback. Thing is, it's like 60 pages right now and in the current attention-span environment of 2016, the only people who would even consider reading it are the ones that already agree with most of what Ive ranted about for the last 12 years. I just don't see the point. PM me Ill probably shoot you the current draft at some point this week, maybe Ill work on it a little more.

What makes it less fun to you than default settings on H2/H3/Reach/H4?

The feeling of being close to good. It's so close but there are so many dumb things about it. Like better primary - good, everyone can evade instantly - bad, no shields while sprinting good, unliminted sprint bad, timed powerups great, three foot radar benefits only campers - bad, interesting maps good, I can clamber over every obstacle, bad, sniper descope good, time to zoom back in awful. So many annoying things man, it just all is cumulative until I realize its just not fun to me. Plus its still long TTK team br halo, which Ive never loved. Being close to good is somehow worse to me than being something just stupid that I have to adapt to and deal with. It makes zero sense and it completely irrational, but that's why I said it's subjectively not fun. Objectively it's better than anything else we've ever had on day 1.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Gonna start playing a lot more Halo now that the new season started. I made it all the way to Champion 18 in Team Arena only playing solo queue and @@Batchford helped me get all the way to Champion 14. :)

Would love to start playing with other people since solo queue is extremely frustrating to play 98% of the time since you get matched up against to4s constantly. Feel free to shoot me a message or friend request if you wanna play!  :halo:

• Upvote (+1) 1

Why are you stuck? Win10 is awesome. You should upgrade

I did upgrade when it first came out. Worked fine until a couple of weeks ago when I had a fatal error and had to wipe the machine and reinstall windows. Any attempt to update comes up with the same error now so I'm stuck on Windows 8.

I made it all the way to Champion 18 in Team Arena only playing solo queue

:intensifies:  :intensifies:  you are a true champion

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I still may finish and release it. I've let a few people look at it and read it and Ive gotten some good feedback. Thing is, it's like 60 pages right now and in the current attention-span environment of 2016, the only people who would even consider reading it are the ones that already agree with most of what Ive ranted about for the last 12 years. I just don't see the point. PM me Ill probably shoot you the current draft at some point this week, maybe Ill work on it a little more.

The feeling of being close to good. It's so close but there are so many dumb things about it. Like better primary - good, everyone can evade instantly - bad, no shields while sprinting good, unliminted sprint bad, timed powerups great, three foot radar benefits only campers - bad, interesting maps good, I can clamber over every obstacle, bad, sniper descope good, time to zoom back in awful. So many annoying things man, it just all is cumulative until I realize its just not fun to me. Plus its still long TTK team br halo, which Ive never loved. Being close to good is somehow worse to me than being something just stupid that I have to adapt to and deal with. It makes zero sense and it completely irrational, but that's why I said it's subjectively not fun. Objectively it's better than anything else we've ever had on day 1.

I'd love to read it maannnn

Does past season performance impact new season placement at all? I just played my 10 placement matches with two of my friends (we all played our 10 placement matches together). I had a 7.7 KDA, and my friends had 3.3 and 2.2. I was given the lowest Onyx CSR out of the three of us. Only explanation I can come up with is that they were higher rated in the January season. 

Does past season performance impact new season placement at all? I just played my 10 placement matches with two of my friends (we all played our 10 placement matches together). I had a 7.7 KDA, and my friends had 3.3 and 2.2. I was given the lowest Onyx CSR out of the three of us. Only explanation I can come up with is that they were higher rated in the January season. 

I'm sure it has some effect. I went 1-9 in placements (albeit with a very high KDA) and was placed into Plat 5 only because I was Onyx last season (I assume).

Well, we could always ask our helpful 343 information brokers... ... ... ... ... ...

I'm thinking it def does. 2nd placement game I was playing Champions. 

It took me until the 4th or 5th game on a new account to start playing onxy people.

Fuck Pegasus. Fuck it in it's fucking ass.

People go on about Overgrowth but Pegasus is one of the worst competitive maps I've seen in a long time.

Half the map is never used and half the map is just a shooting gallery for the sniper. It's trash.

• Upvote (+1) 2

People go on about Overgrowth but Pegasus is one of the worst competitive maps I've seen in a long time.

Half the map is never used and half the map is just a shooting gallery for the sniper. It's trash.

Careful, I got banned a couple weeks ago for saying Pegasus is complete ass.

Thanks @@Vetoed for the rank explanation. I don't understand how Plat 3 could be considered neutral. I know (from experience) that MMR in League is also weird because division doesn't exactly specify the types of opponents you face since you don't drop tiers fast. A low win rate platinum could be matched up with silvers if there MMR is close. The neutral mmr is 1000, so that should be the starting point for let's say Silver 5 or 6. Placements seem a bit inflated. Right away I was facing Platinum and Diamond ranked players although now that makes more sense from what you told me. It's weird how it works but I guess Onyx MMR means more though if that were the case they should spread out the threshold to get certain ranks. In LOL, Silver MMR starts neutral around 1200 mmr then Gold MMR is about 1500 whereas Platinum MMR is around 1700 MMR. There are significant gaps in mmr between those 3 ranks although the divisions make it around 500 mmr for Silver 1 to Platinum 1 (1 being the lowest in that case). It just feels a bit off in Halo 5. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

I don't care what anyone says, I miss h3's ranking system. H5's just feels wonky and unfulfilling.

I don't care what anyone says, I miss h3's ranking system. H5's just feels wonky and unfulfilling.

If they'd actually rebalance it so that Bronze players exist and get rid of Champion altogether (and maybe make it so that your ranking at least SEEMS to match your placement performance), maybe it wouldn't be so bad.

Now of course...I hope people see the problem of instituting a ranking system meant for 1-on-1 games into a 4v4 game.

If they'd actually rebalance it so that Bronze players exist and get rid of Champion altogether (and maybe make it so that your ranking at least SEEMS to match your placement performance), maybe it wouldn't be so bad.

They don't have to get rid of champion. Champion is a good idea to represent the top players while Onyx still shows you are high mmr They need to rebalance the bottom and make it so that people start lower and that where winning more matters than winning some and getting platinum. The baseline for the ranking system (from what has been explained to me) just seems to be too high right now.