CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

Is responding to all criticism or contrary ideas with pure snark an actual Microsoft employee policy now?

Like, will you get your parking privileges taken away if you answer a question in good faith?

No, just standard Halo developer policy.

• Upvote (+1) 1

The services and multiplayer teams here at 343 Industries have been hard at work at improving and fine tuning the Halo 5 matchmaking experience. One improvement we’re making affects how ranking impacts matchmaking search times for certain players. Over time, it’s possible for players to get skill values that make it difficult for them to find matches. This was an issue that lead some players to create alternate accounts or party up with people of much lower rank to find matches. We’ve implemented changes in our algorithm to get players at all skill levels even faster matches. This should improve matchmaking times and increase the number of people eligible to match for players at all skill levels as well as players in international regions.

ONYX AND CHAMPIONS

Based on feedback from the community, we are making some tweaks to the Onyx and Champion CSR. Players noticed that it was possible to place into Champion (at least temporarily) simply by being the first 200 people in Onyx to complete their placement matches in a season. We are doing two things to increase the competitiveness for Champions. First, the new minimum CSR to earn a Champion rank will be 1800 rather than 1500. Additionally, we’ve placed a cap on the highest CSR you can earn after your placement matches at 1700. These changes will make Champions a more elite group and reward players that prove they're amongst the top in the world.

Both of these changes rolled out just today (Monday February 1) with the start of the new season), through service side updates, and do not require the download of a content update.

We’ve also been working on additional improvements for players in regions around the globe, and will have more details and updates to share in the very near future.

We’ll be monitoring telemetry and feedback closely, so be sure to leave us your feedback here on Waypoint’s forums and @Halo on Twitter.

See you in matchmaking!

https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/community/blog-posts/february-matchmaking-updates

• Upvote (+1) 3

To be fair, Internet Explorer is fucking fast.

When Edge adds extensions it'll be a really nice browser. Shame I'm stuck on Windows 8 and can't use it >:(

Let's hope this update makes high rank players have better time searching.

They won't. In LoL high elo players take up to 30 minutes to find a game. Is a population MMR limitation, not enough good players are searching.

They won't. In LoL high elo players take up to 30 minutes to find a game. Is a population MMR limitation, not enough good players are searching.

=(

Hey guys, I'm "isaiahpmarshall" on reddit and I'm currently giving some of that sweet, sweet TeamBeyond weapon-balancing wisdom to the folks in the comment section of the "Quinn MP balance" post. If you click this link:

https://www.reddit.com/r/halo/comments/43p16o/343_mp_lead_quinn_del_hoyo_on_the_idea_of_h2br/

you can see that I'm currently engaged in some really nice debates.

Do you guys have anything to add that I didn't touch upon? Really want to hammer this in.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Just add in community maps to make the playlist worth something to check out. And maybe add a H2 BR commendation

I can't believe how mind numbingly boring and unimaginative some guns in this game are, specifically the Promethean weapons that pretty much add nothing to the sandbox.

I dreamed up so many cool Forerunner weapons as a kid. Huge missed opportunity, you could literally do anything with them, but they went with knockoffs for some reason.

Hey guys, I'm "isaiahpmarshall" on reddit and I'm currently giving some of that sweet, sweet TeamBeyond weapon-balancing wisdom to the folks in the comment section of the "Quinn MP balance" post. If you click this link:

https://www.reddit.com/r/halo/comments/43p16o/343_mp_lead_quinn_del_hoyo_on_the_idea_of_h2br/

Do you guys have anything to add that I didn't touch upon? Really want to hammer this in.

you're insane if you think you're going to enlighten anyone on that subreddit.

Preaching to the choir m8

Honestly I could care less about a h2 BR start playlist. What I would like to see is the reticle on the h5 famas, I mean BR, changed to match the BR in previous halos and the sound to change to the h2 BR. God does that thing sound good. Then I can just close my eyes and pretend I'm shooting a BR instead of that abomination they currently call a BR.

Honestly I could care less about a h2 BR start playlist. What I would like to see is the reticle on the h5 famas, I mean BR, changed to match the BR in previous halos and the sound to change to the h2 BR. God does that thing sound good. Then I can just close my eyes and pretend I'm shooting a BR instead of that abomination they currently call a BR.[/

So the Halo2BR

Honestly I could care less about a h2 BR start playlist. What I would like to see is the reticle on the h5 famas, I mean BR, changed to match the BR in previous halos and the sound to change to the h2 BR. God does that thing sound good. Then I can just close my eyes and pretend I'm shooting a BR instead of that abomination they currently call a BR.[/

So the Halo2BR

Yeah but the h5 skin. That seems way more realistic then them just removing the current h5 BR.

Sarcastic or not, that Quinn post seems like the typical 343 arrogance in response to genuine criticism. They have made it clear that when it comes to core gameplay decisions it is their way or the highway, and their way just so happens to be, "It wasn't broken, but let's fix it anyways." Or at least trying to fix what they broke in halo 4 while still making it their "modern" version of halo.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Well damn. That's frustrating lol.

Sorry man, I literally receive 5+ requests every day to be let in, our waiting list just keeps getting longer. There has only been ONE spot for the past week and I've been putting off letting someone in.

Frosty has been around for a while, plays a good amount of Halo, is Premium, etc. Didn't randomly bring him in but we simply just can't accommodate everyone.

When Edge adds extensions it'll be a really nice browser. Shame I'm stuck on Windows 8 and can't use it > :(

Why are you stuck?  Win10 is awesome.  You should upgrade

Yeah I can't do it. I hate having to try my ass off every single game just to get a 1.0 K/d and the victory. I've had enough. No more Halo 5 for me.

I'm genuinely interested in this sentiment. I'm not faulting you because I feel it too, but the job of a good matchmaking system is to give every player close to a 50% win/loss ratio, and find players that you go roughly 1.0 k/d against. If you're destroying dudes in matchmaking that means: the matchmaking system matched you with too easy of a game and therefore didn't do that good of a job, and that whoever you're playing against certainly isn't having a good time. If you want to quit after getting a 1.0 k/d, wouldn't all the people who you faced on an easier matchup, who almost certainly got dunked on definitely want to quit?

I guess what I'm saying is if getting above a 1.0 k/d is the only way to be satisfied doesn't that lend itself to a sort of entropy, where people who get 1.0 or less in their games drop out and the ones who do better than that consolidate until there's very few people left?

Is it that there is a general dislike for feeling "average", or even struggling to feel average that makes you want to quit? Is it perhaps because there's not a lot of feedback to tell you how you died and maybe how you could have played better? Is there anything the game could do to make you feel like having an even kill/death ratio means you fought a good match vs other skilled opponents and you should feel good about competing well against that team? I feel like more than anything, this is the secret to making a very successful competitive game: having a 50% (or even a little less) success ratio but still feeling like you want to get back in there and try again.

Maybe the matchmaking system shouldn't always optimize for the closest matches. There's a concept of "streak breaking" when dealing with random numbers, and maybe it applies here? If you seem like you're having an off-day (lost 3 matches in a row, finished lowest in k/d) maybe the matchmaking system should throw you a lowball easy game to break your losing streak and help regain your confidence? That match wouldn't be fair and probably not be fun for the opposing team so I don't know how to balance that out. I've got some oddball ideas but I dunno how one would test this stuff without just trying it and seeing if people hate it.

• Upvote (+1) 4