CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

Whatever happened with your " What Went Wrong With Halo" book? Still very interested to read it.

It's just crazy dated. I went back and read it recently. Still needs a lot of work and now it needs a lot of revision. I started the damn thing during the reach beta. A lot has changed, a lot has actually been dealt with, a lot of new problems to discuss. It's just a huge project that I lost a lot of my original passion for. ;[

Great, now I have to give it my all for 10 games and be very pissed that I was placed Plat 6.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I've been having fun matching against lower ranked people.  I'm not so salty about not being able to rank up anymore.

Also, I like the Pistol.  Odd, but I really enjoy getting kills with it.

I like the bubble wrap popping sound. That's the most satisfying thing since a TsK in H1.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Well yea, of course. I just mean that I played all the dumb AR and SMG matchmaking and somehow halo 5 is still less fun subjectively while being a much better game in matchmaking.

At some point we are going to have to realize though that 99% of the competitive Halo population (hell probably the rest of the noobs too) wants to play team BR halo. That's just never going to change it seems.

What makes it less fun to you than default settings on H2/H3/Reach/H4?

Yeah I can't do it. I hate having to try my ass off every single game just to get a 1.0 K/d and the victory. I've had enough. No more Halo 5 for me.

Why aren't more people disturbed about the fact that there's a very small discrepancy in kill times between body shots and head shots in this game. 5 shots to the head vs 6 to the body with a DMR, 3 shots to head vs 4 shots to the body with a Light Rifle, and the list goes on. I mean come on, that's ridiculous.

• Upvote (+1) 2

CSR has been reset

Awesome!

Ready to scrap for my Onyx rank again!

It would be a treat if they removed Breakout from Team Arena, and didn't tell anyone. :walshy:

sweat my skin right off trying to quickly place, went 9-0 with positive K/D's every game, then tanked my last game with a terrible K/D. Placed exactly where I was when ranks reset ROFL

:simms:

• Upvote (+1) 1

Why aren't more people disturbed about the fact that there's a very small discrepancy in kill times between body shots and head shots in this game. 5 shots to the head vs 6 to the body with a DMR, 3 shots to head vs 4 shots to the body with a Light Rifle, and the list goes on. I mean come on, that's ridiculous.

Halo has always been like this.

Instead of firing all rounds into the body or head, only fire at the head when the enemy has no shields. Essentially, with precision weapons you only do extra damage with a headshot when the target has no shields.

Fuck the Kills from the Grave commendation. Who thought that was a good idea. A Kill commendation that requires you die.

What. The. Fuck

Just get good at shitting nades when you die. :kappa:

• Upvote (+1) 1

Yeah I can't do it. I hate having to try my ass off every single game just to get a 1.0 K/d and the victory. I've had enough. No more Halo 5 for me.

I get where you're coming from but chill dude.  It's only you putting pressure on yourself like that, if you don't want to be that sweaty all the time then maybe devote a playlist to being sweaty and chill in the rest or vice versa. 

I suppose that could be difficult... considering you're Australian.

On another note, I haven't played since before the update, should I bother?

Well yea, of course. I just mean that I played all the dumb AR and SMG matchmaking and somehow halo 5 is still less fun subjectively while being a much better game in matchmaking.

At some point we are going to have to realize though that 99% of the competitive Halo population (hell probably the rest of the noobs too) wants to play team BR halo. That's just never going to change it seems.

Majority of Halo folks want to play BR Halo because it's what they're used to since Halo 2. The BR was always the fall-back to get the game to be like HCE...the BR was basically as close as we could get to having a utility starting weapon...but I would say that Halo 5 is going in the right direction, the fundamentals are there, 343 just needs to keep an open mind to allowing the game evolve based on player feedback. For example, adding more powerups to the maps, each map should have camo/os at least, and then trying a 4-shot pistol.

I'll say I do have more fun with this game than I have with any previous Halos since Halo 2 matchmaking (which I despised till Team Hardcore came out).

• Upvote (+1) 2

Maybe from their perspective you were coming off like the guy in the video below. Meh, I don't know, but I can see both sides of the issue. At the end of the day though, we need a real social playlist and not just a hidden ranked playlist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Ht0qiuDMiY

I play to win the game, every time I play. So...not sure what's wrong with that. If someone is trash talking you in-game...mute them. If you're getting out played because you know for a fact that you're being matched against parties...I can see the frustration in that...but tell 343. I agree, the game does need a social playlist.

Just get good at shitting nades when you die. :kappa:

Get good at being bad :kappa:

It's funny when you look at how many Kills from the grave are required vs other types of kills on the same tier. 

3,000 KftG vs 1500 Assassinations? 

343i thinks assassinations are twice as hard to get?

Or my personal favorite...

3,000 KftG vs 300 Driver kills.  It's 10 times harder to use the bullet magnet sniper on a vehicle driver apparently.

I'm wondering if it would be unethical for me to purposely get bronze rank in Team Slayer......

Nope. It's literally what josh Holmes told us to do if we want to play social.

I would recommend sand bagging at least one list for anyone who's trying to grind company commendations. Hell of a lot easier to get assassinations vs silver kids than diamond kids. Plus if you're just running around trying to get assassinations you won't be stomping them so you're not really doing anything wrong.

when a 343 employee would say something like "we're reluctant to change anything because the 'competitive community' can't even agree on anything,"

It don't buy that malarkey from 343. Like your posts says, the competitive community can and will agree on things. The problem is when the casual community thinks that they have ethos and understand the game as deep as some of the players on here or in the pro-circuit. Hell even the pro's on the pro circuit thought that bloom was a good idea. The BIGGEST problem which is the root issue at the core of the series is the lack of understanding the meta. We need a real arena game. Not Halo 5 "going back to the arena roots" gameplay but I mean OG CE ARENA. I would love if the next Halo game we got resembled Halo CE in some way. I would love if had a utility weapon that can hold a flame next to some of the map pickups, I would love if guns had different properties like quick camo and plasma stun instead of every gun being the same, I would love if maps were complex and were designed for more competitive gameplay instead of strewn objects in every damn corner of the map so players can thrust then crouch to regain shields, and I would love if aiming with precision weapons was more rewarded than automatics.

But the thing is not everyone is on the same page. This isn't the whole competitive community is better than the casual community argument, but for some reason the halo community is the only game where people know jackshit about the meta and don't hold traditional gameplay at top. Fuck dude I feel like I BARELY know the meta. Then out of nowhere /r/halo kiddies come out the woodwork and say some dumb buzzwords like "viable", "balanced", "sightlines", "diversity" that sound nice on paper and they think they know what they are talking about so threads devolve into complete hivemind. I'm very surprised how little-to-no one sees this, or just comments over this. The fact that I have gotten to arguments where people have said that utility automatics should be more powerful than precision weapons, how vetoing is negative because "every map should be viable", and how the automatics of previous game "weren't viable" as if they know what they are talking about.

We need some old Halo pros to come out and make discussions talking about the previous meta of the previous Halo games. Halo 5 isn't a bad game at all, but it sure does feel like I am playing a well made Call of Duty PC: Halo mod.

• Upvote (+1) 6

Nope. It's literally what josh Holmes told us to do if we want to play social.

I would recommend sand bagging at least one list for anyone who's trying to grind company commendations. Hell of a lot easier to get assassinations vs silver kids than diamond kids. Plus if you're just running around trying to get assassinations you won't be stomping them so you're not really doing anything wrong.

I know it's a bit late, but I've had a bunch of success farming assassinations in the weekend snipers playlist w/ no radar. 

Halo has always been like this. Not sure what you're complaining about.

Halo has always been like this. Not sure what you're complaining about.

H2 BR

Head shots to kill: 4

Body shots to kill:

error%20message.jpg

• Upvote (+1) 2

I play FFA 85% of time and it's very stressful. The most stressful Rumble Pit yet.

It don't buy that malarkey from 343. Like your posts says, the competitive community can and will agree on things. The problem is when the casual community thinks that they have ethos and understand the game as deep as some of the players on here or in the pro-circuit. Hell even the pro's on the pro circuit thought that bloom was a good idea. The BIGGEST problem which is the root issue at the core of the series is the lack of understanding the meta. We need a real arena game. Not Halo 5 "going back to the arena roots" gameplay but I mean OG CE ARENA. I would love if the next Halo game we got resembled Halo CE in some way. I would love if had a utility weapon that can hold a flame next to some of the map pickups, I would love if guns had different properties like quick camo and plasma stun instead of every gun being the same, I would love if maps were complex and were designed for more competitive gameplay instead of strewn objects in every damn corner of the map so players can thrust then crouch to regain shields, and I would love if aiming with precision weapons was more rewarded than automatics.

But the thing is not everyone is on the same page. This isn't the whole competitive community is better than the casual community argument, but for some reason the halo community is the only game where people know jackshit about the meta and don't hold traditional gameplay at top. Fuck dude I feel like I BARELY know the meta. Then out of nowhere /r/halo kiddies come out the woodwork and say some dumb buzzwords like "viable", "balanced", "sightlines", "diversity" that sound nice on paper and they think they know what they are talking about so threads devolve into complete hivemind. I'm very surprised how little-to-no one sees this, or just comments over this. The fact that I have gotten to arguments where people have said that utility automatics should be more powerful than precision weapons, how vetoing is negative because "every map should be viable", and how the automatics of previous game "weren't viable" as if they know what they are talking about.

We need some old Halo pros to come out and make discussions talking about the previous meta of the previous Halo games. Halo 5 isn't a bad game at all, but it sure does feel like I am playing a well made Call of Duty PC: Halo mod.

Good post.

I think the meta is going to be diff for everyone because halo has been a fundamentally different game with each release.

Since halo ce, there hasn't been a single halo game thats similar except maybe now with halo 5, but it still lacks the meta from hce.

The real challenge is trying to get everyone on board with what true core halo meta is. some will say halo 2 or 3 and then we will say hce.

Would be nice if 343 explained what they think the core of halo is and why havent they gone back to the hce core?