CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

Yo @@Infinity can I get in on that Beyond spartan company? I just requested to join. I stopped playing and then got kicked, now I'm playing again. This game is sick.

Your shameless pandering to get back into the company makes me sick.
  • Upvote (+1) 2

Your shameless pandering to get back into the company makes me sick.

What? I can't change my opinion on a game? Thanks, Nice to know!

Really? all of Halo's FFA's were pressured, the gametype is inherently stressful. BTB on the other hand is like walking in the park.

The distinction I think people are trying to make is that Halo 5's FFA is more stressful due to the faster pacing of the games, compared to the previous games in the series. In the previous titles FFA was tense, but I didn't feel constant paranoia and feel like I have to be on amphetamines to do moderately well. In Halo 5 there is little to no downtime for anything, you are constantly on the move trying to sprint, clamber, move to the next position while checking your (worthless) radar and using your shitty "utility" weapon. Its very overstimulating, it doesn't even feel fun afterwhile because games are so fastpaced that you can't relax in the slightest. Where as in the previous games it was much more subdued and simplistic. There were no armor abilities, you didn't need to constantly check your six because your radar told you if anyone was looming around the corner, and for the most part you could completely predict where people were on the map because there were no variable speeds due to sprint.

I lowkey despise the whole "fast-paced" trend. I don't know what game started the trend, but I think developers need to chill out when it comes to making gamespeed more intense and faster. I appreciate developers that allow me  to relax and not feel at a complete disadvantage if I don't chug a coke and keep an erect spine trying to develop cat-like reflexes.

• Upvote (+1) 4

What? I can't change my opinion on a game? Thanks, Nice to know!

It makes you a flop-flipper.

When at all in that post did I blame them? I made it a point to say my bitching was about the lack of social playlists, while explaining what I mean by calling people "sweaty".

Which is derogatory. It's like getting mad/calling someone a tryhard and booting someone out of an FFA cause they were trying to win and stole your overkill.

It makes you a flop-flipper.

I didn't like this game when it first came out. With XGames and all of these intense online cups the past week or two I have started playing again and I actually love it. Why do you care whether I like the game or not? At first I didn't, now I do. so what?

• Upvote (+1) 1

Which is derogatory. It's like getting mad/calling someone a tryhard and booting someone out of an FFA cause they were trying to win and stole your overkill.

It's not at all? I'm not mad at them. I'm just saying, I call them sweaty since it's my term for a competitive player. 

I didn't like this game when it first came out. With XGames and all of these intense online cups the past week or two I have started playing again and I actually love it. Why do you care whether I like the game or not? At first I didn't, now I do. so what?

Why are you so offended and so defensive over being called a flop-flipper? Is it maybe because deep-down you know it's true? That you're a flopper?
  • Downvote (-1) 5

Why are you so offended and so defensive over being called a flop-flipper? Is it maybe because deep-down you know it's true? That you're a flopper?

I am a flopper. I didn't like the game and now I do. I don't think its a bad thing.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I am a flopper. I didn't like the game and now I do. I don't think its a bad thing.

When did I ever say it was bad?
  • Downvote (-1) 1

The distinction I think people are trying to make is that Halo 5's FFA is more stressful due to the faster pacing of the games, compared to the previous games in the series. In the previous titles FFA was tense, but I didn't feel constant paranoia and feel like I have to be on amphetamines to do moderately well. In Halo 5 there is little to no downtime for anything, you are constantly on the move trying to sprint, clamber, move to the next position while checking your (worthless) radar and using your shitty "utility" weapon. Its very overstimulating, it doesn't even feel fun afterwhile because games are so fastpaced that you can't relax in the slightest. Where as in the previous games it was much more subdued and simplistic. There were no armor abilities, you didn't need to constantly check your six because your radar told you if anyone was looming around the corner, and for the most part you could completely predict where people were on the map because there were no variable speeds due to sprint.

I lowkey despise the whole "fast-paced" trend. I don't know what game started the trend, but I think developers need to chill out when it comes to making gamespeed more intense and faster. I appreciate developers that allow me  to relax and not feel at a complete disadvantage if I don't chug a coke and keep an erect spine trying to develop cat-like reflexes.

This. You described what it feels like to play this game perfectly.

It's not at all? I'm not mad at them. I'm just saying, I call them sweaty since it's my term for a competitive player.

So basically instead of a simple one sentence " I wish there were social playlists instead having to try hard every game " you decided to make 3 posts?

I see. I still think you call em sweaty cause you're trying act like people who try to win are assholes. Whatever though.

So basically instead of a simple one sentence " I wish there were social playlists instead having to try hard every game " you decided to make 3 posts?

I see.

I literally spoke on wanting to have social settings in the game in my first response to someone. The other posts afterwards were only made in response to people getting antzy about my use of "sweaties". :P

I literally spoke on wanting to have social settings in the game in my first response to someone. The other posts afterwards were only made in response to people getting antzy about my use of "sweaties". :P

The fuck did you just call us?

Now now kids... Stop getting at eachothers throats and look at my glowing armor!

CaFcS4fUsAErmqU.jpg

Oy vey. You look like Satan's holographic lava dick.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Once you unlock all Common REQs you move on to Silver packs right? Do I have this correct? I only have a few more Commons to get.

I have yet to see an instance in Halo where the ability to travel faster than base speed adds more to the game than it subtracts.  343's map designers will have already have a difficult time designing a map for one speed, so do people really want to tempt fate and have them design for two or three speeds (base, sprint, thrust)?  How great are Halo 5's best maps again, compared to the greats in Halo CE and Halo 2?  I simply believe that having multiple maximum speed limits will never be optimal in a game with regenerating health and battles with kill times that exceed human reaction time.

According to Josh Holmes, 343 felt that Halo's movement was "underdeveloped," or something like that.  But they have to realize that there needs to be a universal speed limit, and that's the base speed.  It's a little early to be thinking about Halo 6, but I believe that there are far better alternatives to advancing Halo than Thruster, Sprint, or the like.  Any new addition needs to be very restricted and situational; I can only think of three new movement options that would work well in Halo.

1) Wall Kick.  

This propels you perpendicular to the surface so that your horizontal movement speed equals the base speed.  Like Thruster, a Wall Kick can throw off your opponent's aim and keep him wondering about when you'll do it, but unlike Thruster, it is limited in where it can be performed: you have to be next to a wall in midair instead of just... anywhere.  It would be impractical to use the Wall Kick to escape most scenarios, as the fastest escape routes usually run parallel to walls, not perpendicular.  There would also be a increased possibility space (meta) in situations where you are near a wall: when you jump into the wall, you could rebound off of it, or you could just slide down it, making for some interesting battles.

2) Crouching and Ducking.  

There could be a difference in the height of your player model while holding crouch depending on your movement speed.  If you are holding the left stick down all the way to the side, your crouch height will be normal, like Halo 3, for instance.  This allows you to slide into a decent crouch, a cool strafing technique that was added in Halo 4.  But if you are barely moving while crouching, your player model will decrease even further to Halo CE crouch levels--this would be called ducking.  This could be very useful at extremely close range, but the tradeoff is that you are pretty much standing (crouching) still, so a player with quick reactions or a plasma grenade could get the kill.

3) Improved Air Control.  

This could open up some skillful jump routes, the kind that require you to sacrifice significant height, not like those smartscope/clamber tricks.  Also, apart from using Jetpack and Thruster, jumping in a battle past Halo CE (when it was a death sentence) has been fairly constant; you know exactly where they will land.  Increasing the magnitude of air control could add a slight variance that would require you to pay a bit more attention if your opponent jumps, as well as give more agency to your opponent in that situation.  Noticeable air control is also just a fun mechanic that would set Halo apart from most console shooters.

4) Momentum Projectiles. 

This is technically a movement trait, not an ability, but it actually adds a ton of depth to gunfights.  Projectiles will inherit the speed of the player.  If you are moving to the right with speed v and aiming at your opponent who is not moving (maybe he is ducking!), you will miss; on the flip side, if he is shooting at you, he will also need to lead his shots to your movement.  This is what Halo CE has, and it is a huge component of the shooting skill curve in conjunction with bullet magnetism that goes to zero at close range.  Combined with ducking and wall kicking, duels could have the most depth in the entire series.

Imagine strafing to your right, parallel to an opponent strafing to your left; you're both missing a bunch of shots because of having to lead, but then you jump into a nearby wall, wall kick, and reverse your velocity so that your bullet's speed lines up perfectly with that of your opponent's face.  To me, that scenario sounds far more exciting than an ability that just gives you a speed boost in any direction whenever you want.  After all, restrictions breed creativity.

I still believe that the best way to "evolve combat" in Halo would be to build an incredible sandbox of niche weapons (all complementing a strong, skillful utility weapon similar to CE's Pistol) that would each add a different skillfulness to the game, with a few exceptions; it would be like Halo had a baby with Unreal Tournament.  But isn't that what everyone wants, casual and competitive alike?  Crazy, unique weapons that feel good to use and don't feel cheap to fight against--that sounds like heaven.  I think the few movement abilities I mentioned wouldn't be bad at all, but they also could be done without, and that makes sense because Halo was never really missing anything, at least in the beginning.

Apologies for the long post, but it's not like there's a ton of new stuff to talk about these days anyway, so... you're welcome?

TDLR:  I simply believe that having multiple maximum speed limits will never be optimal in a game with regenerating health and battles with kill times that exceed human reaction time. (first paragraph)

Edit: working to improve the post experience for mobile users.