CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

warzone is the answer to all your problems

or making alts

so either play large scale, REQ battles or create alts all day long? Please tell me your joking...

Any good advice on how to deal with the server selection problem for EU player? Maybe I should catch a plane to the US whenever I want to play some H5?

Seriously, putting all my personal gameplay preferences aside, I would spent so much more time on this game if 343 would fix this server problem and if they would bring strict party restrictions

so either play large scale, REQ battles or create alts all day long? Please tell me your joking...

Any good advice on how to deal with the server selection problem for EU player? Maybe I should catch a plane to the US whenever I want to play some H5?

Seriously, putting all my personal gameplay preferences aside, I would spent so much more time on this game if 343 would fix this server problem and if they would bring strict party restrictions

Classic 343i logic: No party restrictions at launch, followed by a mass exodus of players because they get frustrated. Then use the excuse "there are not enough players to support party restrictions, sorry guise" until the next Halo launches. Rinse and repeat

• Upvote (+1) 3

Classic 343i logic: No party restrictions at launch, followed by a mass exodus of players because they get frustrated. Then use the excuse "there are not enough players to support party restrictions, sorry guise" until the next Halo launches. Rinse and repeat

same could apply to EU-Servers:

EU players forced onto US-Servers -> bad quality online play -> decreasing interest -> less EU player -> less reason to fix it/ fixing becomes harder -> worse quality for EU-players -> decreasing interest -> less EU player -> less reason to fix it/ fixing becomes harder -> worse quality for EU-players -> ... -> ...

343 has to step in at some point to fix it in the long run, getting the hype up with tournaments and REQs is nice.

X-Games was really entertaining and great, I'm not gonna take it away from them but seeing all that gameplay without shots not registering or kills through walls made realize once more how much potential has been lost because of 343's decision to not include selectible servers.

If 343 wants to grow Halo again, it is not enough to (mostly) focus on the US..

• Upvote (+1) 1

l6ztvBW.png

/r/Halo is a cancer

Because they don't care about competitive play? Different strokes for different folks.

Im deployed at the moment, have been the past month.  What was the viewers at?

game got to #2 on twitch with over 40k watching.

Im deployed at the moment, have been the past month.  What was the viewers at?

40k on Twitch

More or less 2k on MLG.tv

Unspecified from WatchESPN and highlights that were shown on ESPN

Every Halo game has a ton of issues with them that people like to forget for some reason

"Issues" can be really vague. Halo 2 and 3's issues aren't game breaking whereas Halo 4 and 5's are.

"Issues" can be really vague. Halo 2 and 3's issues aren't game breaking whereas Halo 4 and 5's are.

One could argue that the overall pacing changes and weapon choices in H2 and 3 going on from CE were gamebreaking in their own regard. *Shrug*

I find this idea of "game breaking" issues rather bizarre.

How exactly is H5 broken?

One could argue that the overall pacing changes and weapon choices in H2 and 3 going on from CE were gamebreaking in their own regard. *Shrug*

They were, but that doesn't change the fact that it's gone even farther away from that classic Halo play-style. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

If the blending of movment and combat is paramount to your enjoyment of halo then h5 can feel broken because sprint and clamber seperate movement from combat in a big way.

They were, but that doesn't change the fact that it's gone even farther away from that classic Halo play-style. 

However, it doesn't mean Halo 2 and 3 are exempt from criticism in this regard. Saying Halo 2 and 3 weren't "broken" or their features weren't gameplay breaking fundamentally is just broken logic if you're going to call out Halo 4 and 5 for the same thing.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Aiming system is broken, no matter what you think. Some people just aren't as in tune with how a game feels aiming wise, not a knock at you but it does happen. Someone on these forums claimed to not realize his sticks were inverted at one point, so nothing is impossible I guess. 

The automatics are OP as fuck and lower the skill gap. 

The kill times are way too slow with the sprint and thrust mechanics working the way they do.

Etc.

• Upvote (+1) 7

Game seems fine to me

Compared to H2A, the game rarely stalled out into a complete stalemate situation

The movement mechanics allow the losing team to constantly stay on attack

The item density is more or less where it should be

Automatics hardly seem like an issue, unless your issue is "these weapons should never be useful in any situation"

You guys have spent months complaining about how the movement mechanics make it too easy to escape and yet the observer could barely keep up with the game at times as people were getting btfo too fast to find a living player to spectate

I had a good time watching this event, which is not something I can say out of any H2A event

Twitch numbers were good for a first attempt

Personally I see long term potential in this game I have not seen in a Halo game since 3

• Upvote (+1) 5
  • Downvote (-1) 5

However, it doesn't mean Halo 2 and 3 are exempt from criticism in this regard. Saying Halo 2 and 3 weren't "broken" or their features weren't gameplay breaking fundamentally is just broken logic if you're going to call out Halo 4 and 5 for the same thing.

We traded out a few broken mechanics or features for a completely different set of broken mechanics or features. They made guns shoot straight(ish) but gave us sprint and thrust. No one is saying Halo 2 & 3 were perfect by any means, but we had more fun with them because they played like Halo with great maps and no terrible movement gimmicks. 

Edit: Don't compare Halo 5 to H2A, which is basically just Halo 4 with a Halo 2 skin. The quicker we forget about H4 and H2A the better. 

• Upvote (+1) 4

When I say "game breaking", I'm talking about issues so big that they make the game more stressful than enjoyable. While I acknowledge that H2/H3 had their issues, they weren't big enough to turn off a majority of the huge Halo fan base, which H4/H5 issues have.

• Upvote (+1) 7
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Never 4get the unreliable H3 BR. Remember shooting from A street to B street on Onslaught only to empty a whole clip and your opponent wasn't even one shot? That was unacceptable in my book. I am a self-confessed H3 fanboy but boy did RNG play a big part in who won a BR battle at mid-long distance. I did love the variety of maps and gametypes in Halo 3 though, that BR though. At least the H5 pistol and H4 BR shoot straight for fucks sake.

It all depends on what "broken" means to each person.

Spartan abilities, OP automatics, easy BR/Sniper, easy almost everything. Cluttered weapon balance. Terrible maps. That's just scratching the surface.

One thing I can guaranty is that Halo will never regain popularity, at all, as long as game breaking gimmicks like armor/Spartan abilities are included. Having a shield is enough of a defensive mechanism. Anything else on top of that is game breaking. People want real Halo, not bullshit.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Never 4get the unreliable H3 BR. Remember shooting from A street to B street on Onslaught only to empty a whole clip and your opponent wasn't even one shot? That was unacceptable in my book. I am a self-confessed H3 fanboy but boy did RNG play a big part in who won a BR battle at mid-long distance. I did love the variety of maps and gametypes in Halo 3 though, that BR though. At least the H5 pistol and H4 BR shoot straight for fucks sake.

Oh yeah, the nostalgia goggles are real

The autopilot levels of autoaim in Halo 2 combined with the dual wield gimmick ruining half the weapons in the game were far more gamebreaking than anything you could possibly think of in any other Halo game

Halo 3 had erratic BR spread, shit movement acceleration, and an equally bad weaponset, but was still a better game than Halo 2 purely on merit of the lower autoaim and the lower autoaim alone

Halo 5 is literally the first game since CE where all the weapons are useful and it seems like everyone just wants to completely ignore this

One thing I can guaranty is that Halo will never regain popularity, at all, as long as game breaking gimmicks like armor/Spartan abilities are included. Having a shield is enough of a defensive mechanism. Anything else on top of that is game breaking. People want real Halo, not bullshit.

Twitch views beg to differ

H2A was a complete trainwreck, Twitch dropped the game immediately. The finals for the first H2A event had lower numbers than the opening games because the game was complete stalemate horseshit

The X-games event started off sluggish but slowly gained steam and were quite respectable by the end

Twitch is the current demographic that MLG/GB used to be 5-10 years ago. If you can't get Twitch behind your game, which H2A couldn't, it's DOA. The technical issues of the game had nothing to do with the H2A stream viewercounts being a total flop, they started out high in the 30k range or whatever, and only got lower and lower as the day went on, until they were like a piddly 6000 by finals or something.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 2