CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

for those saying that h5 will be an rpg, what i say to that is #Destiny. 

an openworld campaign might be pretty dope and it might be well received by fans. i know i wouldnt be upset by the campaign being open world...just dont make the mp like fucked up being of it lol

if weapons despawn like 12 seconds after dropping them im gonna flip because that is a huge turn off no matter how small it may seem. h4 style loadouts are trash...im not saying i like loadouts but reach did it more halo style where for the most part everyone started with the same shit.

i was thinking if h2a has mp and ranks itll be 1-50 most likely(IMO) and then h5 will have the josh menke super swag ELO system that will 100% work cause that guy is a god.

Everything just needs to be removed. When we have to make our competitive playlist so much different then the default It drives away the casuals from even wanting to try and there for we get lower and lower numbers.

Look at COD for instants the competitive playlist isn't that hugely different than default cod. That is why its so successful. That is why H2 and H3 were also successful. Just make the game were everyone can try the competitive playlist and not feel like they are playing two different games.

I agree somewhat, although you can't compare CoD to Halo like that.

This would be possible if not for the fact that competitive playlists in Halo encourage a totally different atmosphere to others. You could have one "Team Slayer" playlist and one "Competitive" playlist, both with the exact same settings, and you'll find laid-back gameplay in one and high-intensity competitiveness in the other. I don't know how it is with CoD, but I'd assume that wouldn't be the case in that game.

There just needs to be another way to encourage competitive gameplay in players. Ranks are one such solution. Maybe an achievement for playing ten games in the competitive playlist with one team. An armour set for getting a monthly win:loss ratio of 1.5 with a certain number of games played. Anything that would break players in to competitiveness. I think you can have the competitive playlist feel like a different game, but all you need to do is encourage it in different ways.

Also, just opinion, but I think H3's MLG playlist was a lot more threatening to new players than Team Throwdown. It thrived regardless.

the only difference would be AA's being used less.

That's the point. Pick ups are never going to be used as much as if you spawn with them. This is a good thing.

I understand that you dislike asymmetric gameplay but that doesn't necessarily mean its bad nor does it mean halo should be that way, I could just as easily say that loadouts/ perks/AA's/etc are freaking awesome (like certain other halo communities believe) and that halo should be that way, my point is that if your gonna go that route you should do it properly.

Yes it does. Halo started out with arena play and starting on an equal playing field is a basic arena fundamental. You're kind of speaking vaguely about the issue, so I'm not sure if you favor AA's as pick ups or spawns. I understand what you're saying about "if 343 goes this route, they might as well do this". That logic of "they already fucked up, so lets try to salvage a broken mechanic" is what 343 messed up on in Halo 4. They tried to fix Reach instead of ignoring it. Just get rid of the mechanic.

I'm fine with an option for rifles before a game starts (BR/LR/Carbine), but nothing farther than that. No grenade options, no armor abilities, no modifications, no secondary options (only a magnum and two frags). Armor Abilities can still be in the game, just as pick-ups. It's a reasonable solution.

• Upvote (+1) 9

for those saying that h5 will be an rpg, what i say to that is #Destiny.

an openworld campaign might be pretty dope and it might be well received by fans. i know i wouldnt be upset by the campaign being open world...just dont make the mp like fucked up being of it lol

if weapons despawn like 12 seconds after dropping them im gonna flip because that is a huge turn off no matter how small it may seem. h4 style loadouts are trash...im not saying i like loadouts but reach did it more halo style where for the most part everyone started with the same shit.

i was thinking if h2a has mp and ranks itll be 1-50 most likely(IMO) and then h5 will have the josh menke super swag ELO system that will 100% work cause that guy is a god.

Its hard to imagine exactly how a RPG halo would fit into MP, I imagine reach/4 style gameplay would be far more appropriate on that level but when you think about it deeper its kind of complicated, on a sandbox level its a nightmare because we'll just end up with more of the same garbage we've since H2 but I'll have to spend some more time really theorizing how it would affect halo's MP frankly, I don 't think it would have a significant impact on halo MP (again halo at this point makes sense being an RPG) but at the same time I'm wary of its effects, the ironic thing in all of this is that everybody and mean EVERYBODY will just say its a Destiny clone which will be fun to hear.

Reach's loadout system wasn't really utilized, the entire point is that YOU can choose what weapon (or w/e) to spawn with that you want, Reach's model makes more sense on a balance POV but ideally you want the loadouts to be balanced altogether.

Still think you people are jumping the gun on Menke, I'll just have to wait and see for myself this ultra super badass ranking system people are talking about :P

That's the point. Pick ups are never going to be used as much as if you spawn with them. This is a good thing.

Yes it does. Halo started out with arena play and starting on an equal playing field is a basic arena fundamental. You're kind of speaking vaguely about the issue, so I'm not sure if you favor AA's as pick ups or spawns. I understand what you're saying about "if 343 goes this route, they might as well do this". That logic of "they already fucked up, so lets try to salvage a broken mechanic" is what 343 messed up on in Halo 4. They tried to fix Reach instead of ignoring it. Just get rid of the mechanic.

I'm fine with an option for rifles before a game starts (BR/LR/Carbine), but nothing farther than that. No grenade options, no armor abilities, no modifications, no secondary options (only a magnum and two frags). Armor Abilities can still be in the game, just as pick-ups. It's a reasonable solution.

The only real difference in putting AA's on the map would be that instead of 8 people using them 2 people would, again that may minimize the problem but it doesn't actually solve it, 2 people using armor lock instead of 8 does not magically make armor lock work, no matter how many times you keep saying it does it does not, to be fair it might work wonders with AA's that heavily affect map flow (ala jetpack) but the majority of them don't really do that too much so I'll just leave it at that.

The defining characteristic of armor abilities is that they are passive aggressive, meaning that you can (theoretically) use them any time you want but only to a limited extent, that being said most pf halo's current AA's don't make sense being used that way, as an example auto sentry doesn't make any sense being an AA because it is proximity and cannot be moved, the only way something like that would work would be as an ambush type of weapon, frankly it makes much more sense being equipment than it does an AA, your idea to just put it on the map would n't really work too well without completely changing its design.

I know your a little confused by exactly what I'm talking about so I'll explain as well as I can, I don't believe in throwing away ideas entirely without ample reason, I don't believe that halo should or should or not be an arena shooter or anything for that matter, I look at what works and what does not and then try to expand on things, the halo I would create would probably be a mixed bag consisting of many different ideas and designs, thats a little vague but really want I'm saying is that I support the asymmetric class based system of halo reach/4 just as much as I support the arena shooter type of gameplay of H1-3, I even support more (admittedly crazy) ideas like an RPG or F2P halo just as much, I don 't support AA 's being on the map because I see potential in them and besides that I don't think the current batch even makes sense being AA's, I think your approach is just a band-aid that doesn't really fix the underlying issue.

I know this is kind of a dick thing to say but I don't like halo's sandbox or even core all that much, if I were in charge I would rip it apart and flip it on its head, it would not be recognizable but it would be IMO great, or at least much better then what we have now.

All of that being said though sprint really was the most poorly concieved AA, it did nothing for the game and if anything hurt halo, not saying halo would magically be a thousand times better and that WE BACK or anything but I just thought I would put that out there.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 2

I don't support AA 's being on the map because I see potential in them

100% disagree.

I think your approach is just a band-aid that doesn't really fix the underlying issue.

What? You're saying that AA's as pick ups is a "band-aid" to the problem, yet you prefer people being able to spawn with them?

I don't like halo's sandbox or even core all that much, if I were in charge I would rip it apart and flip it on its head, it would not be recognizable but it would be IMO great, or at least much better then what we have now.

I'm done.

• Upvote (+1) 8

What? You're saying that AA's as pick ups is a "band-aid" to the problem, yet you prefer people being able to spawn with them?

My point was that spawning with AA's was not the real problem, the fact is that the majority of the current AA's in halo are just not meant to be that way, putting them on the map won't really change that.

• Downvote (-1) 2

See, with talk like trying to make armor abilities work just makes me not look forward to playing this game.

I may be extreme but it all comes from a good place, I just don't want them to fuck up on something then decide to throw it away entirely like they did with dual-wielding or ranking systems, I would prefer they build on what is already there instead of just having another epiphany and coming up with a bunch of ideas then fucking up again then it happens all over again, the cycle continues :(
  • Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 2

I hope their E3 demo is fucking impressive because I'm not giving them a second chance at first impressions.

The barn leak of H4 told us everything we needed to know about the game but we still sat there and hoped based on bullshit Frankie spewed.

Not twice.

• Upvote (+1) 9

I hope their E3 demo is fucking impressive because I'm not giving them a second chance at first impressions.

The barn leak of H4 told us everything we needed to know about the game but we still sat there and hoped based on bullshit Frankie spewed.

Not twice.

That barn leak was complete shit in terms of quality and really didn't paint an accurate picture of what halo 4 was IMO, that game informer article was what really put it into perspective I think, that was the moment we all knew it was going to be another reach, none of us wanted to admit it (I sure didn't) but in our heart of hearts we knew that the halo we loved was no more.

That barn leak was complete shit in terms of quality and really didn't paint an accurate picture of what halo 4 was

I didn't need more than a SD camera recording a VHS running on a TV to realize that being able to call in power weapons via the D-pad was an absolute shit concept.

The truth is, it was far too accurate of how H4 did turn indeed turn out to be. 

I wouldn't dare compare it to Reach.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Not twice.

I'm with you there bro. If it isn't looking good the first time I see it I'm not going to believe the bull shit they fed us the last time.

I'm just going to be doing this l.gif

• Upvote (+1) 1

I can't tell you how many times I've heard the 'Spartans are Super Soldiers, of course they can sprint' and other realism arguments used to justify Sprint in Halo. The funny thing is canonically Spartans wear Power armour that taps into the Spartans nervous system so that the suit can assist the movement of the Spartan providing them with near unlimited stamina. Most games that involve sprint have a default sustainable jogging speed and a fast unsustainable Sprint mode. And it makes sense. But in Halo you have no reason to jog because running is sustainable. Sprinting wouldn't be any where near as big of a speed boost since all it would be is a little boast from swinging your arms more.

So realistically a short duration 65% speed boost makes no sense. It would make more sense if sprint was an unlimited 25% speed boost. Would it be worth including if that's all it was? Another reason to get rid of sprint. It breaks cannon!

Flinch is another one. When you get shot shield flares disrupt the hud's smart up-link to your weapons scope, knocking you out of scope. I'm not even sure you would finch at all when your shields are up since it is your shields taking the damage. Removing descope breaks cannon! 

Hurry go post this on Waypoint, we might get through to them!

giphy.gif

• Upvote (+1) 7

Not twice.

Well, i agree for the most part but to be fair the barn leak suggested Shotguns as possible primary weapons... which didn't happen in the end.

We got them as secondary weapons  :frank:

• Upvote (+1) 1

e3 demo rumor looks like h5 to be shown

First rumor I saw was Halo 2 Anniversary with Halo 5's release date announced.

Now you're saying Halo 5 will have a tech demo with absolutely no mention of H2A.

I don't know what to believe anymore.

e3 demo rumor looks like h5 to be shown

First rumor I saw was Halo 2 Anniversary with Halo 5's release date announced.

Now you're saying Halo 5 will have a tech demo with absolutely no mention of H2A.

I don't know what to believe anymore.

That's a confirmed fake leak. Why would they show Watch Dogs at E3 when the game's already out by then?

• Upvote (+1) 1

Not twice.

I doubt that we will see a Halo 5 demo at all...

That's a confirmed fake leak. Why would they show Watch Dogs at E3 when the game's already out by then?

Thats what I was about to say lol.

Confirmed leak is a leak

Still not a way to approach a discussion.

You've had warnings in the past; be respectful.

As for my reasoning obviously I don't want sprint in the next Halo title, but its becoming a normality across all shooters, and has been in the past two Halo games. I have a well developed anti-Sprint speech, but I just don't see it being removed for the next title.

I don't see it being removed either. It's like that guy who comes to your door trying to get you to buy something. We opened the door for him in Halo 4 and I have a bad feeling he will invite himself in for Halo 5.

Hence the "fuck off" personification but I guess thats that.jpg

Every gametype have a loadout but do it like Reach an just have like this in H5

BR

Pistol

2frags

AR

Pistol

2frags

Simple and never hath to deal with TS and Team Brs problem ever again.

As for Sprint an descoping I hope all that that is gone.

An I hope they fix every single gametype they broke.

• Upvote (+1) 2