CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

Jeeze man you'd rather have unique songs that are instantly recognizable and diversified, consisting of abstract, memorable mysterious melodies, intead of good 'ol military drum beats and a trumpet? What? You don't like dubstep? Buddy, this is 2009. When are you going to wake up and realize that dubstep is exactly what all the kids are currently still into?

Dude you're nuts. Thats like saying you'd rather have diverse maps that take place in various Halo staple settings, utilizing Halos famously creative palette and the wide range of art styles that fans have come to know and love, instead of some nice, familiar UNSC maps that take place on some super SECRET training facility?

Or that you'd rather play on maps that have sightlines rather than corridory maze-like random chaotic breeding grounds, perfect for shotguns, or camo, or no..BOTH. In the same room. Yeah. Thats totally sick. And ooh I want a sword placed in the opposite area so that it balances out the map, you know, because theres no way one team could get both of those weapons at the same time. Sick.

Wait, what was I talking about? Oh right - Lemon, 343 knows what the community wants, possibly even more than the community itself. You're simply living in the past and refuse to adapt. I think you'll come around when they release Ball in 2017. Or when you see how super secret the UNSC base is in February's map.

What's wrong with liking the old halo music? And I'm not sure what exactly you're trying to imply in this post O_o

Halo 4's music is good, and some of it is very nice for piano, but I don't like that particular suite of instruments in a Halo soundtrack. First of all, there's too much brass, especially horns. Second, while there is a place for synth, too many tracks have synthetic elements, or they lack the organic feel exemplified by the original Halo theme (Warthog run). I haven't listened to all of Halo 5's OST, but what I've heard mostly fits into this mold. If anyone wants to post something from H5 that is original (not just something inspired from a classic song), go ahead, as I'm always looking for new ones to learn.

I've never played Red Orchestra, but I really don't care about guns that feel alive. If a game gives me the option, I usually disable all recoil and sway animations. Ideally the gameplay itself will be interesting enough not to be supplemented by distracting animations.

But I guess that's not what you're talking about, because you said the animations just feel unnatural. Modern console games probably couldn't get away with leaving out superfluous weapon animations, so it's better to at least make them feel good.

Also, I really have no idea, but is it possible that gun animations in Red Orchestra have minor random factors to make them feel less repetitive?

the way the guns themselves move is predictable, however, they move often and in a way that makes them seem independent of the character(like the player is actually holding a 9ish pound rifle for example), recoil is important, spread is a definite factor, all this makes the guns feel more real to me, though as I said, gameplay matters more to me, halo is my favorite shooter, yet it lacks many qualities found in RO, so clearly it's not very high on my list of requirements, hell its not even the main reason why I play red orchestra to begin with, it's just icing on top of the cake.

Got my first pistol skin (: I had to buy three packs but damnit it was worth it

That's a shame, because Halo Canticles, Light is Green, and most specifically The Trials have all given me crazy chills. Some of the best tracks yet

I think the crypt is probably my favourite song on a Halo soundtrack.

When it kicks in during the mission in the canyon/caves on Genesis it's so damn good.

You know what would make people want to participate more in completing company commendations?  If the progressive REQ packs were actually worth a damn... seriously...

4 common to uncommons isn't shit. Congrats on your achievement, here's 1/3 of a bronze pack.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I am competing in the Last Chance qualifier today. Team is pretty last minute, but I will do it for experience.

Starts in 2 and a half hours. Yes, I will be streaming it at twitch.tv/batchford.

See you all then.

• Upvote (+1) 4

internet "hold me back bro" lolol

You sometimes post constructive feedback here. Recently its just "lol typical 343 lolol" posts. Seriously you can't deny this. I'm not being super up-tight about it, it's just what I see from you the most here and this last one which clearly you misinterpreted was a weird jab at the people here.

The thing is, man, it's still way more than you, yet here you are giving me an inquisition because you dislike some of my post and you're using that to discredit everything else. I'm not the one telling you how you should post. And yes, I did take a jab at many of the users here. I see this is a problem with you and you're not using that to discredit everything else I say. Like holy hell. I don't agree with almost everything you say yet you don't see me telling you how to post. Now stop with bs "cursing up a storm" comments to generalize everything I say and just accept that there are going to be people that you don't like in a forum but that doesn't mean what they're saying is wrong. I'm not going to give you an inquisition and tell you how to post because that would be silly and immature.

Are you done with your little review of me?

What's wrong with liking the old halo music? And I'm not sure what exactly you're trying to imply in this post O_o

I'm 11% sure that he was serious.

• Upvote (+1) 5

The thing is, man, it's still way more than you, yet here you are giving me an inquisition because you dislike some of my post and you're using that to discredit everything else. I'm not the one telling you how you should post. And yes, I did take a jab at many of the users here. I see this is a problem with you and you're not using that to discredit everything else I say. Like holy hell. I don't agree with almost everything you say yet you don't see me telling you how to post. Now stop with bs "cursing up a storm" comments to generalize everything I say and just accept that there are going to be people that you don't like in a forum but that doesn't mean what they're saying is wrong. I'm not going to give you an inquisition and tell you how to post because that would be silly and immature.

Are you done with your little review of me?

My turn to review you:

• Cool username
  • Nice accent
  • Smells bad
  • Not enough dank memes

I give it a 9/11 it's a masterpiece.

Halo 4's music is good, and some of it is very nice for piano, but I don't like that particular suite of instruments in a Halo soundtrack. First of all, there's too much brass, especially horns. Second, while there is a place for synth, too many tracks have synthetic elements, or they lack the organic feel exemplified by the original Halo theme (Warthog run). I haven't listened to all of Halo 5's OST, but what I've heard mostly fits into this mold. If anyone wants to post something from H5 that is original (not just something inspired from a classic song), go ahead, as I'm always looking for new ones to learn.

I've never played Red Orchestra, but I really don't care about guns that feel alive. If a game gives me the option, I usually disable all recoil and sway animations. Ideally the gameplay itself will be interesting enough not to be supplemented by distracting animations.

But I guess that's not what you're talking about, because you said the animations just feel unnatural. Modern console games probably couldn't get away with leaving out superfluous weapon animations, so it's better to at least make them feel good.

Also, I really have no idea, but is it possible that gun animations in Red Orchestra have minor random factors to make them feel less repetitive?

And there's barely any cultural influence in the music anymore. The Halo theme used to be an Irish jig with tribal style percussion. There's barely any effective or notable uses of a choir and monks either. Remember Flawed Legacy and Heretic, Hero? Good times.

And all that awesome music was maintained because Marty worked on the music. Did anyone really think that the music would stay the same when Marty left? I sure as hell didn't.

• Upvote (+1) 1

And all that awesome music was maintained because Marty worked on the music. Did anyone really think that the music would stay the same when Marty left? I sure as hell didn't.

I had hoped that future composers would at least respect the source material and legacy he left behind.

I had hoped that future composers would at least respect the source material and legacy he left behind.

yeah. After the release of Halo 4, I started to come to terms with the fact that 343 wouldn't stay faithful. When it comes to music I'm still very happy with the results of using freelancers, and although they lack the charm and eclecticism of Marty's work, luckily they buck the form of 343's results and stand as great soundtracks in their own right.
  • Upvote (+1) 1

There were a couple tracks in 4 that I would consider to be on par to a Halo OST. Same with 5.

yeah. After the release of Halo 4, I started to come to terms with the fact that 343 wouldn't stay faithful. When it comes to music I'm still very happy with the results of using freelancers, and although they lack the charm and eclecticism of Marty's work, luckily they buck the form of 343's results and stand as great soundtracks in their own right.

Have you heard Tom Salta's stuff from Spartan Assault/Strike and Fall of Reach? He's the closest we're gonna get to the next reasonable evolution of Halo soundtracks. You should read some of his interviews as well.

On Thursday, my percentage of Req unlocked overall was 44%.

After a good weekend of grinding Warzone with the squad, I am now at 58% unlocked.

FeelsGoodMan

Salta is a better fit for halo than any other composer besides Marty himself, why they waste his talent on remakes and iOS games is beyond me.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Maybe but you have to admit that the music in Halo 5 is pretty damn good. May it not completely fit in Halo but its still well put together and memorable in some parts. Nobody can match Marty but I think the current composer did a swell job.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Maybe but you have to admit that the music in Halo 5 is pretty damn good. May it not completely fit in Halo but its still well put together and memorable in some parts. Nobody can match Marty but I think the current composer did a swell job.

Like I have said, there's no doubt Kazuma's work is well produced and sounds great, but Halo should sound like Halo and that should be 343's priority in the audio department. Same with the sound effects too.
  • Upvote (+1) 1