CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

So many UNSC/Industrial style maps. 

Everything else looks fantastic though. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

They still haven't talked about the armour colours being different.

They still haven't talked about the armour colours being different.

Indeed, noticed that, and how the armor colors are STILL changed, even in the new map. It's really weird.

Grifball was the last on my list for gametypes I felt were needed in Halo 5 the most, but alright.

And does the hammer have smart-scope?

Does the hammer have smart-scope?

Sword does so the hammer probably does too

So I was thinking about this all-in-one Ball gametype they're developing and the idea hit me. An Oddball/Ricochet/Grifball hybrid. Gain points by holding the ball, throw the ball into the goal for more points, and run it in for even more points. Throw in Boom Ball to force the players to move around and not just hold onto the ball. 

Not even close.

To which part? The Arena weapons thing is a theory, but the Beam and Snipe being equally broken is a fact.

So I was thinking about this all-in-one Ball gametype they're developing and the idea hit me. An Oddball/Ricochet/Grifball hybrid. Gain points by holding the ball, throw the ball into the goal for more points, and run it in for even more points. Throw in Boom Ball to force the players to move around and not just hold onto the ball. 

I REALLY hope you can make this. It sounds like a hype gametype.

To which part? The Arena weapons thing is a theory, but the Beam and Snipe being equally broken is a fact.

Latter

Hmm why is the H2 BR on the map with the H5 BR? Since they have different attributes is kinda making the sandbox even more cluttered IMO.

Also, there are so many different settings/weapon layouts that universal settings is kinda pointless. Might as well make some more adjustments.

Still pretty excited about the update though, just wish the aiming was normal.

After seeing Riptide, I still can't see why people are complaining about remixes.

It looks and presumably plays completely different from Fathom (symmetrical versus asymmetrical).

Of the four remixed maps, only Eden looks like its parent map.

The point I raised (as did others) recently may be stated simply as follows:

• Are remixes inherently less differentiable/offer less variety than original maps? Yes, even if only very slighty.
  • Does creating remixes that both look and play very differently from their parent maps (Riptide is seemingly an example, though obviously this can't really be assessed until the community has had sufficient time with the map) save much in terms of development resources, or significantly improve efficiency? No, one would imagine.

In that case, what exactly is the point? I made this argument in greater detail here. This isn't about an attitude of hating remixes, as @@RyanW appeared to satirise, but simply the recognition of the following: if remixes are to be truly different and unique, they don't represent a considerable resource allocation/efficiency gain, and if the remixes are to save development resources and allow 343i to produce maps much more efficiently (i.e. achieve the goal of re-usability Nicolas 'Sparth' Bouvier described), they can't be as unique as original maps.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Anybody remember when they were showing a bunch of community created maps like battle of the Hoth, McDonald's, dorm, etc. For a brief moment, they showed guardians from H3, it looked beautiful. Anybody know who made that map? I tried to watch the rebroadcast to find the author but I can't find it =(

The point I raised (as did others) recently may be stated simply as follows:

• Are remixes inherently less differentiable/offer less variety than original maps? Yes, even if only very slighty.
  • Does creating remixes that both look and play very differently from their parent maps save much in terms of development resources, or significantly improve efficiency? No, one would imagine.

Of course. I never suggested there were no efficiency gains.

The question is whether they are enough to make the use of remixes still justifiable in the place of original maps; the current efficiency improvements through remix usage are certainly smaller than what they would be under what Sparth originally believed process to entail.

There is a compromise between efficiency and originality, and considering that there appears to be a noticeable amount of resource/asset re-use across original maps, what I'm questioning is whether the remix trade-off is still a net positive. The more resources devoted to producing unique remixes, the less efficient the process becomes, which runs contrary to the purpose with which remixes were introduced, and ultimately won't allow developers the same freedom/capacity to exercise their creativity that designing maps from the ground up would (simply because the process is one of change to a template: the original map, however significant the change may be).

As an aside, while he doesn't post here (as far as I'm aware), Tom French is absolutely brilliant at community interaction; his passion for his work and the community around it is evident.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Was pissing around in customs with a friend. Discovered a few things that drove me batty. One, the laser and the barrel aren't aligned when aiming near someone.

4QsOwzb.png

And in the same breath, the laser is NEVER aligned with the barrel, for some reason.

9Aj4wAs.png

Was pissing around in customs with a friend. Discovered a few things that drove me batty. One, the laser and the barrel aren't aligned when aiming near someone.

4QsOwzb.png

And in the same breath, the laser is NEVER aligned with the barrel, for some reason.

9Aj4wAs.png

I assume that's because the player camera and then actual player model doesn't match perfectly.

4QsOwzb.png

9Aj4wAs.png

That's not something that can be fixed.

I believe there was an article about it on Halo 3, but where you point your weapon is different from where your camera's pointing.

For instance, the Binary Rifle's beam fires straight offset from your crosshair, but it's drawn from an offset and at an angle on your screen.

I assume that's because the player camera and then actual player model doesn't match perfectly.

Really? I assumed it was the massive bullet magnetism that for some reason also pulls the laser.

That's not something that can be fixed.

I believe there was an article about it on Halo 3, but where you point your weapon is different from where your camera's pointing.

For instance, the Binary Rifle's beam fires straight offset from your crosshair, but it's drawn from an offset and at an angle on your screen.

Yeah. Apparently the position of the first person camera is lower than the actual eyes to help make it look a bit better