CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

That is so not true with some developers. MS might keep 343 on a tight leash but don't say that's just game development when I've seen plenty of other devs way more interactive with the community and even talk about what's going on inside the studio, even things that never make it to retail. It's not just devs with no big name publisher either, because DICE and DICE LA have been totally transparent with BF4 patches and their controlled by EA FFS. 

They've been pretty quiet on Battlefront. We're suppose to be getting a January update, but officially we don't know what's in it. Or specifically what's in the Season Pass

The forge map, Dead Center, was a forge map built in Halo Reach that was legitimately designed for a one-life gametype, so there is at least a little bit going for Breakout now. I can't speak for the rest of the maps, but pretty much anything by Solo and/or Seth are very likely solid maps. The map by Seth and Warholic looks absolutely sick.

DC is pretty meh. Elimination was a completely different game mode than breakout, and was much more permissive of the type of design risks Solo took with that map. Solo and Seth consistently impress me with their visual choices, but it always seems to me that they'd rather make a bad map that's interesting and pretty than a boring map that plays flawlessly.

I will say that Havoc looks like it will provide some decent Breakout gameplay providing the camo isn't impossible to grab against a good team.

Edit: That first paragraph probably comes off a little more harsh than I meant it to. Not here to bash Seth/Solo, I learned a lot from Solo when I first got interested in level design, and Seth is an old friend of mine. I just haven't been as impressed with the forge maps that have come out as I thought I would.

It's not just Halo development; it's game development as a whole. You can almost see it as the equivalent as an NDA, whether or not they actually want to talk about they just can't at times.

Also there have been times in the past year where they talk about stuff but in the end couldn't deliver. They want to be sure they can deliver now.

Of course they can deliver...we never know what they're going to do, cause they don't announce anything....

Its totally self-serving and shady behavior.

I will say that Havoc looks like it will provide some decent Breakout gameplay providing the camo isn't impossible to grab against a good team.

Straight up though Havoc is so fun, if it doesn't get voted through I'm going to flip

That one L-shaped Breakout map with the green fog all over it is probably one of my favourites. There are a lot of really cool grenade throws and rushes you can pull off on it. The other map on Empire is great, too. Lots of breathing room and verticality gives it a slower, more methodical feel compared to some of the other smaller maps.

That one L-shaped Breakout map with the green fog all over it is probably one of my favourites. There are a lot of really cool grenade throws and rushes you can pull off on it. The other map on Empire is great, too. Lots of breathing room and verticality gives it a slower, more methodical feel compared to some of the other smaller maps.

Appartion (L-Shaped Foggy) is decent.

Highrise is the coolest looking but worst gameplay of the bunch.

Appartion (L-Shaped Foggy) is decent.

Highrise is the coolest looking but worst gameplay of the bunch.

You think so? I dunno, I really liked being able to go top 3 and just soar all over the place haha. Of the four maps I've been able to play on (dat RNG), Apparition and Highrise were my favourites. The Pit map was my least favorite. Too small and too easy to rush everywhere from top mid.

I'll never understand the secrecy in Halo development...its game types for a video game.. Its not that serious. Just announce the time window thats on your calendar. If you constantly miss it then hire new staff that are able to get the job done. 

Agreed. Just tell us "We are working on Infection, Assault, Oddball" and whatever else and I'd be hyped. But I can't help but to be negative. These thing should have been worked on since launch. 

You think so? I dunno, I really liked being able to go top 3 and just soar all over the place haha. Of the four maps I've been able to play on (dat RNG), Apparition and Highrise were my favourites. The Pit map was my least favorite. Too small and too easy to rush everywhere from top mid.

Postitive. Good Breakout maps have lots of things to fight over, Highrise has an awkward DMR sitting Top Mid and is completely dominated by Top Control. Definitely the best looking map with some cool geometry but far from the best gameplay.

You're right about The Pit though

Brah. Why don't you run with NoobShutDown? He has a mic, and you love him.

That kid is cancer

He is cringetacular

Postitive. Good Breakout maps have lots of things to fight over, Highrise has an awkward DMR sitting Top Mid and is completely dominated by Top Control. Definitely the best looking map with some cool geometry but far from the best gameplay.

You're right about The Pit though

The bolded stuck out to me immediately as well.  With how big the map is you'd think it would've been more beneficial to give each base a DMR instead of giving the first team up there a huge advantage. You can't even bait it because it's so high up.  Other than that though, I really enjoyed it.  Aesthetics wise, it's nice to see that some of the dev made maps have Forge-able spaces like that.  Would love to see a map on Eden's play space, if possible.

On a side note, does anyone else think that the Hydra is just absolute garbage for Breakout?  The TTK of Breakout combined with the time needed to lock-on makes it a death sentence for me basically every time I pick the weapon up.

I believe it was last stream when they announced the Daily Win packs and released it that night. Would be cool if they surprised us again with that kind of stuff

If there's one thing that legitimately angers me about this game, it's the boss system. I HATE getting bullshitted in game, getting the medal for a Legendary Warden kill, and even having it COUNT in the postgame carnage report, yet, it doesn't add to my commendations, which I only need one kill on Warden to complete. This is the second bloody time it's happened. 

/rant over

So why don't these breakout maps need "extensive testing" and why does breakout get its own test playlist for a week. Every single Halo 2 and probably CE, 3 and Reach map has been remade and also a bunch of new maps. So how about we stop living in this paintball fantasy world provided to you by Kevin Franklin and Pals and actually play friggin' Halo? 

So I'm talking about a CTE playlist for community maps. Like now? For us to test? To enjoy this game? Thanks. 

• Upvote (+1) 3

If there's one thing that legitimately angers me about this game, it's the boss system. I HATE getting bullshitted in game, getting the medal for a Legendary Warden kill, and even having it COUNT in the postgame carnage report, yet, it doesn't add to my commendations, which I only need one kill on Warden to complete. This is the second bloody time it's happened. 

/rant over

The medal is awarded to the last three people who did damage to the boss, not the person who got the kill.

So why don't these breakout maps need "extensive testing" and why does breakout get its own test playlist for a week. Every single Halo 2 and probably CE, 3 and Reach map has been remade and also a bunch of new maps. So how about we stop living in this paintball fantasy world provided to you by Kevin Franklin and Pals and actually play friggin' Halo? 

So I'm talking about a CTE playlist for community maps. Like now? For us to test? To enjoy this game? Thanks. 

Because Breakout doesn't have any initial spawns, removing a huge part of testing needed for maps.

More community playlists are coming.

The medal is awarded to the last three people who did damage to the boss, not the person who got the kill.

Because Breakout doesn't have any initial spawns, removing a huge part of testing needed for maps.

More community playlists are coming.

Yea, cause we know how much they test spawns on forge maps. *cough Orion *cough

Or test spawns on any map for that matter. What a BS reason. 

• Upvote (+1) 3

Is the audio really low?

Yeah, it's rather low (plus mics not being on wasn't really helping).  Looks like they're still getting used to the new studio setup.