CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

Havoc is the young GOAT map, best Breakout map I've played so far. Plasma Caster is a true Power Weapon, especially in Breakout, Camo opens up tons of possibilities, and Scattershot is super unique as well, albeit a bit weak. Definitely should be inspiration for any future Breakout maps designed by 343 or the community.

Apparation and Pylon are also pretty good, they both have DMRs, Hydras, Splinters, Grenades, Speed Boosts and more to contest at the mid field line. Definitely good maps but could use a few stronger weapons to make things a bit more interesting. Perhaps replacing Pylon's Speed Boost with a Camo would help a lot. Absolute can also fall into this 'good' category, but really has no weapons and is a bit too Rifle heavy. Battle Rifles only have one clip to use sparingly so I like that change, but the Speed Boost top mid is essentially useless, should be a Camo.

Simulation (Pit), Epicenter, Overpass and Highrise are not so good. They are essentially very similar to the theme of Crossfire/Trench (the bad Breakout maps), which is essentially two teams just slamming into each other and hoping the gunfights turn out in their favor. There are no real setups or contesting over power items and positions. Highrise however is super clever and is one of the coolest looking Forge maps I've seen so far.

Deadcenter is cool, has Shotgun/Camo/DMR, but its pretty linear because there are literally only two lanes you can push off the start. I imagine at a higher level it would get super grenade heavy and the Camo lends itself to more campy SMG play than cool precision weapon clutches, so I'm going to throw it into the 'bad' pile. It's not the worst though.

Amazing

• Havoc

Good

• Pylon (add Camo)
  • Apparation (add Plasma Caster or Camo)

Bad

• Deadcenter
  • Absolute (good with new weapons)
  • Overpass

Terrible

• Epicenter
  • Simulation
  • Upvote (+1) 2

It's not like this Breakout forge playlist is suddenly cancelling all work on other forge playlists, it is just Breakout happened to come first.

Given that it apparently takes hundreds of man-hours just to turn ranks on or off on a playlist, I'm still willing to call "misallocation of resources". 

• Downvote (-1) 1

https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/community/blog-posts/community-forge-breakout-playlist

This is A+ trolling. "We love all of the great work by the community in Forge! Some truly great maps created! So here's a playlist with a bunch of breakout maps rather than the H:CE/2/3 maps you loved."

I have absolutely no idea how a gametype like Breakout has made any stride into existence at all. I assume an elimination gametype never existed in previous Halos because bungie had the common sense to know it wouldn't work without serious gameplay changes. But I guess idiots at 343 make any ridiculous thing possible. Anything to pollute this franchise.

The forge map, Dead Center, was a forge map built in Halo Reach that was legitimately designed for a one-life gametype, so there is at least a little bit going for Breakout now. I can't speak for the rest of the maps, but pretty much anything by Solo and/or Seth are very likely solid maps. The map by Seth and Warholic looks absolutely sick.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Wasn't Breakout the least popular playlist when 343 released the numbers? Because putting all this effort into the least popular playlist shows me that they REALLY want to push Breakout on people.

I could be wrong though so don't spam me with hate.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Wasn't Breakout the least popular playlist when 343 released the numbers? Because putting all this effort into the least popular playlist shows me that they REALLY want to push Breakout on people.

1. Warzone
  2. Slayer
  3. Team Arena
  4. SWAT
  5. Big Team Battle
  6. Holiday Social
  7. Warzone Assault
  8. Breakout
  9. Holiday Doubles
  10. Free for All

FFA and Doubles ranked lower.

• Warzone
  • Slayer
  • Team Arena
  • SWAT
  • Big Team Battle
  • Holiday Social
  • Warzone Assault
  • Breakout
  • Holiday Doubles
  • Free for All
I mean that's still pretty low. I'm just gonna hope they did Breakout first because the maps are easier to test. I pray it's for no other reason.

1. Warzone
  2. Slayer
  3. Team Arena
  4. SWAT
  5. Big Team Battle
  6. Holiday Social
  7. Warzone Assault
  8. Breakout
  9. Holiday Doubles
  10. Free for All

Probably because the kill times and on map weapon sets are horrendous for smaller team sizes.

I mean that's still pretty low. I'm just gonna hope they did Breakout first because the maps are easier to test. I pray it's for no other reason.

I wouldn't doubt it. A Breakout game can end in what, 3-4 minutes?

With an Arena map, games can go anywhere between 5 minutes to the full 12.

Factor in the random map rotation and you can see why it'd be a problem.

• Upvote (+1) 1

343 gives us something absolutely no one asked for instead of giving us a classic playlist or a bunch of BtB maps we get fucking breakout... :kappa:

• Upvote (+1) 1

I'm reminded of Kevin Franklin's DICE presentation. Current day application: 

"Well, we saw that the playlist levels were low for FFA and double team, so we decided to not concentrate our efforts there for Halo 6 because people obviously just don't like those gametypes anymore." 

• Upvote (+1) 5

I'm reminded of Kevin Franklin's DICE presentation. Current day application: 

"Well, we saw that the playlist levels were low for FFA and double team, so we decided to not concentrate our efforts there for Halo 6 because people obviously just don't like those gametypes anymore." 

This sort of cognitive dissonance is already so rampant in the industry that your quote coming true wouldn't even surprise me.  What's Mr. Franklin's position at 343i now, anyways?  I can't imagine he's multiplayer lead anymore after Halo 4. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

What's Mr. Franklin's position at 343i now, anyways?  I can't imagine he's multiplayer lead anymore after Halo 4. 

Multiplayer Design Director

He played a huge part in Warzone's creation to my knowledge.

Imo Arena Breakout should be the original breakout. I do like the breakout map designs. But the mechanics for OG breakout just shouts out Call of Duty.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I can't speak for what everyone's favorite weapon is.

But I'm pretty sure everyone can unanimously agree this game needs content.  So yes, I can speak for the community.

Multiplayer Design Director

He played a huge part in Warzone's creation to my knowledge.

Kevin Franklin is the lead for multiplayer as a whole, he had a lot of sway in both Warzone AND Arena.

Quinn would be the main 'Arena' guy, and I believe Lawrence Metten (I could be wrong) was the lead on Warzone. And as we all know Breakout was primarily overseen by Franklin, but 'Design Director' indicates that he was the lead across all of multiplayer as far as I'm aware.

Kevin Franklin is the lead for multiplayer as a whole, he had a lot of sway in both Warzone AND Arena.

Quinn would be the main 'Arena' guy, and I believe Lawrence Metten (I could be wrong) was the lead on Warzone. And as we all know Breakout was primarily overseen by Franklin, but 'Design Director' indicates that he was the lead across all of multiplayer as far as I'm aware.

To be accurate, Kevin is the lead over all of Multiplayer (MP design director, reporting to Tim). Breakout was his idea originally, based on his experiences playing competitive paintball. He worked on the prototype, years ago but since then the Arena team has been running with it and it's changed a lot over time. Quinn is an MP Designer on Arena and his counterpart on Warzone would be Lawrence.

Those are just two people among a team of MANY working together on MP.

We have a huge MP team this project on both Arena and Warzone. Unlike H4 where we outsourced a lot of the MP (partnering with CA), this has all been built internally at 343. If anything, Arena has received the most resources and focus because it has such a big surface area and it has been used for tuning gameplay since the beginning. That's why we shipped the Arena beta - to inform our tuning for foundational gameplay. That's not to downplay the effort on Warzone, which has been a huge challenge creatively and technically.

Ultimately the two experiences have benefitted from one another throughout the project.
  • Upvote (+1) 1

ItdfAUC.png

Y8lBapB.png

I'll never understand the secrecy in Halo development...its game types for a video game.. Its not that serious. Just announce the time window thats on your calendar. If you constantly miss it then hire new staff that are able to get the job done. 

• Upvote (+1) 6

I mean, if what you guys are saying is true and Kevin Franklin did have a huge part in how Halo 5's multiplayer turned out... kudos to him.  Dude went from "its really overpowered but super fun :) " tweets to making one of the most balanced shooters ever haha.

I'll never understand the secrecy in Halo development...its game types for a video game.. Its not that serious. Just announce the time window thats on your calendar. If you constantly miss it then hire new staff that are able to get the job done. 

It's not just Halo development; it's game development as a whole. You can almost see it as the equivalent as an NDA, whether or not they actually want to talk about they just can't at times.

Also there have been times in the past year where they talk about stuff but in the end couldn't deliver. They want to be sure they can deliver now.

I mean, if what you guys are saying is true and Kevin Franklin did have a huge part in how Halo 5's multiplayer turned out... kudos to him.  Dude went from "its really overpowered but super fun :) " tweets to making one of the most balanced shooters ever haha.

The can of worms you just opened...

• Upvote (+1) 2

It's not just Halo development; it's game development as a whole. You can almost see it as the equivalent as an NDA, whether or not they actually want to talk about they just can't at times.

That is so not true with some developers. MS might keep 343 on a tight leash but don't say that's just game development when I've seen plenty of other devs way more interactive with the community and even talk about what's going on inside the studio, even things that never make it to retail. It's not just devs with no big name publisher either, because DICE and DICE LA have been totally transparent with BF4 patches and their controlled by EA FFS.