CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

Why is the AR in the HCS settings again?

Somewhere along the line, it was decided that catering the competitive settings to casual players for the sake of "consistency" was crucial.

Which begs the question of where Breakout came from, and why we're playing "Arena Breakout" in the Arena playlist.

Or, because there is a 2 million tourney coming up, they don't want to risk a huge meta change incase that throws the balance off, leading to unfair wins.

I want a 4SK as much as the next, but we won't see any ingame change until after the HWC Finals.

Sacrificing any gameplay changes for months for the sake of a tournament happening 5 months post-release is awful planning.

We've yet to even hear plans that 343/Microsoft will continue to do dev-run tournies after the HWC. 

So...if they don't plan on it, I'd say there's a pretty good chance we get some disinterested balance changes at that point. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

We've yet to even hear plans that 343/Microsoft will continue to do dev-run tournies after the HWC. 

So...if they don't plan on it, I'd say there's a pretty good chance we get some disinterested balance changes at that point. 

Aren't we getting a Pro League for the HCS? Obviously not tournaments but if it's HCS then 343/MS will be involved. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Sacrificing any gameplay changes for months for the sake of a tournament happening 5 months post-release is awful planning.

Changing the balance of one weapon would change the balance for everything. It's not poor planning, it's common sense.

Like what Cursed Lemon said, we have not heard anything about events post HWC. Anybody think we will have Season 4? I sure hope so

Changing the balance of one weapon would change the balance for everything. It's not poor planning, it's common sense.

@@NavG123 it's not like they have a pro team, It's not like we didn't realize these problems and asked for changes in the beginning and It's not like other developers make these changes within 2 months of release.

Regressive low standard for 343ers gonna regress

• Upvote (+1) 5

@@NavG123 it's not like they have a pro team, It's not like we didn't realize these problems and asked for changes in the beginning and It's not like other developers make these changes within 2 months of release.

Regressive low standard for 343ers gonna regress

You guys understand that the Pro Team are technically testers still correct? I am not a 343er either, I am just saying, some people lack common sense.

• Upvote (+1) 1

So the solution would be to not make any adjustments? I have trouble believing that 5 months post-release is the earliest we can expect any balancing changes.

Forget pistols. No storm rifle nerfs? No weapon placement changes? Magnetism on the sniper? Nothing sensible that won't significantly alter the game?

For any other game, this really is unbelievable stuff.

• Upvote (+1) 8

I'm sorry but a 4SK pistol AND reduced magnetism on everything makes the BR completey useless.

The Pistol and BR have the same RRR unzoomed but a vastly different zoomed RRR. If your changes happen, the BR only has these positives over the magnum:

- Bleedthrough

- Further RRR zoomed (kind of useless on most maps other than Coliseum/Truth)

I think you're underestimating those two things. The range difference is quite noticeable and is very relevant on any map and still makes the BR a lot more consistent over the full map sightlines which is what you want as a competitive player and I would still swap out when that's relevant. i do think the BR doesnt have enough range anyway, so I would buff that to make it a bit more competitive with the DMR which shits on it. 

Bleedthrough makes the BR just about the best cleanup rifle too.

All that being said, ideally I wouldnt have it in the sandbox anyway. Just like the Carbine and DMR (Lightrifle arguable), it's redundant and doesnt offer any substantial role, the game would be better off not even having it.

Yes, projection based on raw numbers. Millions played H2/H3 consistently for months/years. H4/H5's population is a very small fraction of what H2/H3 were able to achieve. Do you think H2/H3 would have done as well as they did if they had the armor abilities/Spartan abilities from H4/H5? Not a fucking chance. Nothing is for certain, but based on history, classic original formula Halo was hugely popular and Halo filled with gimmicky mechanics has been hugely unpopular. If things don't drastically change, as in going back to the original formula, Halo 6 could be the crash and burn game that finishes this franchise.

no, projection as in you're projecting your preference as fact, we objectively cannot say that just because the old games were popular that a new game like them would be as popular again, it's speculation, I don't care how big halo used to be, however to say that it wouldn't be popular again is again, speculation.
  • Upvote (+1) 2

So the solution would be to not make any adjustments? I have trouble believing that 5 months post-release is the earliest we can expect any balancing changes.

Forget pistols. No storm rifle nerfs? No weapon placement changes? Magnetism on the sniper? Nothing sensible that won't significantly alter the game?

343 seems to be doing the fg route where they want the metagame to develop before any changes are done. Not that I agree/disagree but that's why they go slower than other games like CSGO, LoL, etc

Name any game that has a huge following and makes huge changes before a tourney. If you say CS, I will laugh at you.

2015; the year TB developed Stockholm syndrome under the reign of 343.

good bant 

Name any game that has a huge following and makes huge changes before a tourney. If you say CS, I will laugh at you.

But again, I'm not even talking about "huge changes".

SR nerfs, weapon placement changes, magnetism, etc.

What other FPS shooter have you seen that stays the exact same for nearly half a year after release?

But again, I'm not even talking about "huge changes".

SR nerfs, weapon placement changes, magnetism, etc.

What other FPS shooter have you seen that stays the exact same for nearly half a year after release?

Not a lot, but like Cows said 343 are trying a different strat much similar to FG's.

There is some obvious stuff like Sniper mag, but they clearly want lot's of data before making any decisions. Once again, it's not a Physics equation here.

I think you're underestimating those two things. The range difference is quite noticeable and is very relevant on any map and still makes the BR a lot more consistent over the full map sightlines which is what you want as a competitive player and I would still swap out when that's relevant. i do think the BR doesnt have enough range anyway, so I would buff that to make it a bit more competitive with the DMR which shits on it. 

Bleedthrough makes the BR just about the best cleanup rifle too.

Because giving the easiest rifle in the game a range buff to cope with a rifle that isn't on an Arena map half the time is the best idea. Why not buff the Magnum's range, so that, rather than endorsing a style of play around a buffed BR, you're giving people more incentive to use the Magnum? We shouldn't be buffing ANYTHING but the Magnum.

Because giving the easiest rifle in the game a range buff to cope with a rifle that isn't on an Arena map half the time is the best idea. Why not buff the Magnum's range, so that, rather than endorsing a style of play around a buffed BR, you're giving people more incentive to use the Magnum? We shouldn't be buffing ANYTHING but the Magnum.

They need to buff the fucking aiming first floyd.png

• Upvote (+1) 3

So at the moment we have a hierarchy with those 3 weapons that go like this

DMR>BR>Magnum

Buffing the Pistol to a 4 shot with improved range makes it

Magnum>>DMR>BR

Which would make picking up the other weapons useless (in Arena), and well as even more redundant in the sandbox.

DMR>BR>Magnum

Magnum>>DMR>BR

Which would make picking up the other weapons useless (in Arena), and well as even more redundant in the sandbox.

Having 5 utility weapons is redundant in the first place. There is no point in not buffing the magnum just because it makes something that is already redundant more redundant. Buff the pistol or reduce magnetism on the BR and make it the starting weapon.

• Upvote (+1) 4

DMR>BR>Magnum

Magnum>>DMR>BR

Redundant, sure. Useless? No.

The game is always gonna have redundant weapons since we have at least 3 weapons that fill the same role as each other. The magnum needs to be a UTILITY WEAPON. The other rifles should simply be easier to use alternatives to the magnum or be nonexistent in arena. There should NOT be rifles on the map that are better than your utility weapon. That just makes it like smg starts (not nearly as bad but still not good because of snowballing and Rock Paper Scissors gameplay). The autos have the same issue.

• Upvote (+1) 4

DMR>BR>Magnum

Magnum>>DMR>BR

it's better that those weapons stay out of the sandbox anyway.
  • Upvote (+1) 2