CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

Has there been any discussion at all about the magnetism/aim assist issues with precision weapons in Halo 5, as well as the balancing issues relating to the power of automatics vs. the precision weapons and the skill-discrepancy?

Sure but those items are FAR more subjective and less numerically problematic. And as such will be delicately considered rather than clumsily tweaked.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

There's something afoot with Live matchmaking right now. We're watching it and will update. I don't think it will take long.

As for weapon placement on Overgrowth, I PERSONALLY like some of the "problem" things - including being wicked OP with sword when combined with lateral and boost-driven window jumps, but we're going to revisit once it's "settled" since players are adjusting to things still. No point yanking a weapon only to find out that there was a simple Rock/Paper solution that emerges in gameplay - that said NO map is perfect initially and we have zero philosophical resitance to adjusting things.

It just feels frustrating because we have to wait for patterns to settle.

Also the weapon balance in SWAT is pretty fair, IMO.

I personally think having OP sword, shotgun, and camo all in a small close combat map isn't the best idea. I played a match of FFA not too long ago, I grabbed sword and all I did was just sprint around in circle and I did very well.

I recommend removing sword and shotgun, keep rail gun BUT rail gun should only have 4 shots everytime it spawns. Hope this helps.

FYI: I really do want to help make this game better. I am trying to help give good ideas.

There's something afoot with Live matchmaking right now. We're watching it and will update. I don't think it will take long.

As for weapon placement on Overgrowth, I PERSONALLY like some of the "problem" things - including being wicked OP with sword when combined with lateral and boost-driven window jumps, but we're going to revisit once it's "settled" since players are adjusting to things still. No point yanking a weapon only to find out that there was a simple Rock/Paper solution that emerges in gameplay - that said NO map is perfect initially and we have zero philosophical resitance to adjusting things.

Don't you guys think you take a little long too adjust things? Especially in comparison to your competitors?
  • Upvote (+1) 6

thanks for the info frankie

would be great if the team could also work on the lagout issues that only happen with H5 matchmaking servers but no other online game, a lot of people have it here and in the waypoint forums :)

eg

http://teambeyond.net/forum/topic/10818-halo-5-lag-problems-time-warner-cable-solution/

or waypoint

https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/forums/e0d9938206f04a598ce84f2c8cadce02/topics/losing-connection-to-the-game/889fdcab-4fa6-4169-990d-5738727353ec/posts

"He's not a dev, he's a loser PR guy" - BlessedOrange, 2015.

Okay I have a question and it's probably not gonna get answered but whatever now is a good chance.

Do you feel the weapon balance in multiplayer is how you wanted it to be? Like looking at the data and feedback did you plan on the sandbox being the way it is? I'm not putting in any input or asking you to change it I just want to know.

Also, will there ever be weapon tuning updates in the future?

Are you guys considering any gametype or series formatting changes between now and the Halo World Championship Regional finals?

Don't you guys think you take a little long to adjust things? Especially in comparison to your competitors?

I think we do things diligently and carefully and with minimum disruption and with a better base condition than some of our and our competitors' games. I think we adjust things at a pace that reflects our engine and our commitment to our entire player base. That's my personal view. There's no answer you can give to consumers that couldn't be improved in terms of time and frequency, but we're also going to get better at it.

• Upvote (+1) 6
  • Downvote (-1) 1

How soon can we see an update on Overgrowth weapon change?

Also, any words on Oddball, Assualt, and King of the hill?

I am dying to hear something on the second line here.  DYING!  D Y I N G!   D Y I N G! @@Frankie

• Upvote (+1) 2

I think we do things diligently and carefully and with minimum disruption and with a better base condition than some of our and our competitors' games. I think we adjust things at a pace that reflects our engine and our commitment to our entire player base. That's my personal view. There's no answer you can give to consumers that couldn't be improved in terms of time and frequency, but we're also going to get better at it.

Have the population numbers shocked you or caused any change in post launch strategy?

"He's not a dev, he's a loser PR guy" - BlessedOrange, 2015.

It's alwaaaaaaaaays a fruit isn't it?  :kappa:

Has there been any discussion at all about the magnetism/aim assist issues with precision weapons in Halo 5, as well as the balancing issues relating to the power of automatics vs. the precision weapons and the skill-discrepancy?

That's a great question.

For overgrowth at least, I would consider moving Camo to prometheon nades just so it's not a guaranteed camo for whoever picks up shotgun for blue team. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

I am dying to hear something on the second line here.  DYING!  D Y I N G!   D Y I N G! @@Frankie

We have robust plans for modes and content for the rest of the year. If I had nothing positive to infer, or didn't know the answer,  I'd just skip the question.

• Upvote (+1) 5
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Sure but those items are FAR more subjective and less numerically problematic. And as such will be delicately considered rather than clumsily tweaked.

Don't you consider rapid dropoffs in population in what has historically been the Xbox's most popular series to be "numerically problematic?" I'm not being facetious or cruel here, I'm generally curious.

"Clumsily tweaked" is a rather odd assessment of moving a game towards a more balanced (in regards to skill vs. reward) system. Any suggestions I have are not knee-jerk reactions. Everything is subjective unless we apply a proper filter. "Balance" is subjective unless we define your objective; does 343 want a skill-based multiplayer game or don't they? If it's the former, then it should be clear that Halo 5 does not yet achieve that, although it is moving closer to it than recent Halo games.

• Upvote (+1) 9

I think we adjust things at a pace that reflects our engine and our commitment to our entire player base.

So you hate your player base?

• Upvote (+1) 13
  • Downvote (-1) 42

@@Frankie I understand if you don't want to talk to me or answer any of my questions becuse of what I said in the past, that's understandable.

I just want to take advantage of you being here and give you good feedbacks to help improve the game becuse I do care about the franchise.

So you hate your player base?

Well I had a good run today. Like several posts before we got into insult territory.

• Upvote (+1) 7
  • Downvote (-1) 2

Well I had a good run today. Like several posts before we got into insult territory.

Thanks for the replies Frankie. Appreciated some of the answers you came in with  :) Looking forward to seeing some of the classic game modes coming back eventually.

I know it's impossible to ignore completely, but please try to brush these types of posts off. There's a lot of us, despite how we feel, who are willing to have legitimate discussions about this stuff. It doesn't look like any of us are particularly happy with his post either.

• Upvote (+1) 6
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Is population really a measure of popularity though? I would argue game sales are the measure of "popularity" while population is the result of the opinion on the game's quality that fans of that game have.

why not both? A population count if high enough would certainly indicate a games popularity, if blops 3 wasn't at the top of the most played list yet sold well, you wouldn't say it's popular, just like we said halo 4 failed to be popular even though it sold well, but that low population was also indicative of people's opinions of the game as well, nobody was playing because nobody liked it enough to go back to it.

Before you go. Forgehub is having a 2v2 map contest. Have the team grab some maps from there next time doubles goes up instead of using the dev maps designed for 4s.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Thanks for the answers though. Just being clued in a little helps. Sometimes we don't know if our issues with the game are being considered, ignored, or there is something in the works to alleviate our concerns. Just commenting helps clarify a lot. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

be nice to the delicate genius !

heaven forbid he just ignores morons like 99.9% of all internet users 

• Upvote (+1) 10
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Well I had a good run today.

Frankie can you tell us why your network team decided to not make a server-decision-pinging like all previous Halos did when a lobby is created?

as it is now the game just decides a dedicated server without any network quality tests to determine the best server for the lobby

the result of this is that even a lobby with the majority being EU has to play on US servers as there is no server pinging

halo 5 is probably the only online game right now that does it in this way, just curious what made you guys go for such a method :)

• Upvote (+1) 1

Meh I only care about results, and they are not coming at a pace I haven't already seen. Just more "words" and not enough details.

I can open up CS:GO an see the DEVs apologizing for fucking up, Information about banning unethical tournament players, population statistics, and a neat Visual upgrade.

qG5b9Eq.jpg

• Upvote (+1) 8