CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

I would assume people would play a game they actively enjoy anyways, right?

An engaging ranking system can be a big part of that enjoyment. A ranking system that erases all progress every month is not engaging.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Other shooters. If you never played Halo beforr and didn't identify it with another style of play, its rather solid

If you can't identify h5 with another fps game you've been living under a rock.

Other shooters. If you never played Halo beforr and didn't identify it with another style of play, its rather solid

If a person had never played Halo before and played Halo 4, they would probably be just fine with it.

• Upvote (+1) 2

If a person had never played Halo before and played Halo 4, they would probably be just fine with it.

Hm? I've played Halo since CE and I'm fine with Halo 5. It's not perfect, but given some changes, it can definitely be a great game.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Hm? I've played Halo since CE and I'm fine with Halo 5. It's not perfect, but given some changes, it can definitely be a great game.

I'm still a little tickled over how so many people say "Halo 5 is fine" - implying that it is more "fine" than past Halo games - and yet they never feel the need to actually qualify this sentiment.

• Upvote (+1) 2

"Solid game" relative to what?

Pretty much any AAA shooter released in a while. I haven't played Black Ops III, but I'd assume it's the exception here from a content, feature, and support standpoint. I'm sure other games pre-Xbox 1 had a lot of content too compared to H5 but I didn't enjoy them competitively.

I won't argue game mechanics between Halo 5 and the various shooters because some people really prefer that CoD style gameplay. (I think the mechanics behind ANY halo generally promotes a better competitive environment than other game mechanics) I'm definitely enjoying it more than any Battlefield release, Titanfall, Destiny, Gears, etc, but that's subjective involving each games mechanics. I'm also liking the game way more than Halo 3, Halo Reach, and Halo 4. MCC is tough because it's not the games on the collection, it's the collection. Since 2010 I stuck with about 8-10 weird, misc dead competitive shooters cause nothing else was good. I ended up TRYING a bunch, whether AAA or indie and none of them to me felt like solid skill based games. The amount of FPS games I've invested time into is almost embarrassing...

I mentioned it to Aphex but the individual in Halo 5 has more power this time around than the last couple releases. I think that's a big part of my enjoyment is that the balance has been evened out a bit more between team and individual skill. I understand how long kill times = long engagements = team shooting meta, but you just have more options regardless in this game. The individual power isn't on H1's level, but is closer to H2. This shift I think is a big part of why I enjoy H5 as well.

While the abilities in this game are up for debate as to how much they help/hurt the game, a player using them offensively has more options to cover a lot more ground than a player using them defensively. That helps me enjoy it a lot more than how these abilities worked in other Halos. For clarification, it's mainly the super slide I'm referring to. It's used to completely jump on people rather than to escape, since you can initiate the sprint to super slide. Playing defensively and thrusting away is still an issue, but at least there is an option to close the gap in this game in an aggressive way.

I'd make changes for sure to Halo 5. I would like some more content too, especially at release. 

@@Cursed Lemon

sometimes I get a little busy and it takes too long to write up my big wall of texts. I say I don't want to discuss game mechanics but I would with Halo 3 and onward. Like I said, I pretty much still prefer classic Halo feel, but only enjoy Halo CE and Halo 2 more so than Halo 5. I just didn't want to compare game mechanics from what would be a literal list of around 30 FPS games. Also when I get busy at work with this stuff my post quality suffers. Sorry that this is worded poorly.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Pretty much any AAA shooter released in a while. I haven't played Black Ops III, but I'd assume it's the exception here from a content, feature, and support standpoint. I'm sure other games pre-Xbox 1 had a lot of content too compared to H5 but I didn't enjoy them competitively.

I won't argue game mechanics between Halo 5 and the various shooters because some people really prefer that CoD style gameplay. (I generally think the mechanics behind ANY halo generally promotes a better competitive environment than other game mechanics) I'm definitely enjoying it more than any Battlefield release, Titanfall, Destiny, Gears, etc, but that's subjective involving each games mechanics.

Kind of neutered by the fact that the amount of AAA shooters that have been released recently has been very, very small.

It's a lot like saying, "hey I won a Halo 4 tournament". No one cares.

I'm also liking the game way more than Halo 3, Halo Reach, and Halo 4. MCC is tough because it's not the games on the collection, it's the collection. Since 2010 I stuck with about 8-10 weird, misc dead competitive shooters cause nothing else was good. I ended up TRYING a bunch, whether AAA or indie and none of them to me felt like solid skill based games. The amount of FPS games I've invested time into is almost embarrassing...

I staunchly disagree that Halo 5 is less of a clusterfuck than Halo 4. I also think that Halo 5 has almost no capacity to be "cleaned up" like the previous games.

I mentioned it to Aphex but the individual in Halo 5 has more power this time around than the last couple releases. I think that's a big part of my enjoyment is that the balance has been evened out a bit more between team and individual skill. I understand how long kill times = long engagements = team shooting meta, but you just have more options regardless in this game. The individual power isn't on H1's level, but is closer to H2. This shift I think is a big part of why I enjoy H5 as well.

While the abilities in this game are up for debate as to how much they help/hurt the game, a player using them offensively has more options to cover a lot more ground than a player using them defensively. That helps me enjoy it a lot more than how these abilities worked in other Halos. For clarification, it's mainly the super slide I'm referring to. It's used to completely jump on people rather than to escape, since you can initiate the sprint to super slide. Playing defensively and thrusting away is still an issue, but at least there is an option to close the gap in this game in an aggressive way.

I think we have differing opinions on what is wrong with the state of competitive Halo, or what the concept of individual power is.

• Upvote (+1) 5
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Isolation has no reason to be next to Overgrowth in a "worst map lineup" imo. I know Isolation is not a fan favourite and I used to hate it myself. But at least on that map you need good gunplay with precision weapons and the map has a power position and a top mid to control.

Isolation was in MLG v3/v4 settings, not a bad map at all.  Overgrowth is 100x worse

• Upvote (+1) 4

Yeah. When did I say otherwise?

I'm really not a fan of your new "edgelord" personality. While I may not always be in agreement with you opinions on H5 and 343i, I always considered  you a decent poster.

Well, up until the recent shitpost spree started

Gotta fight edginess with more edginess I guess.

I wouldn't even consider most of my recent posts "shitposts", just posts a specific group of people seem to dislike since it doesn't match what they think

I DESPISED the controls for the first day. After that I loved them.

It blows my mind every time someone says that, especially those who have actually used the previous forge to the point of full conditioning.

I literally started a map on Halo Reach because of how much I hate H5's forge. I'll be lucky if I can port that over one day, except to get it ruined by sprint, thrust, and clamber.

It blows my mind every time someone says that, especially those who have actually used the previous forge to the point of full conditioning.

I literally started a map on Halo Reach because of how much I hate H5's forge. I'll be lucky if I can port that over one day, except to get it ruined by sprint, thrust, and clamber.

Give it an hour or two and you'll figure it out. 5's forge is leagues ahead of anything we've had before. It is seriously good, that includes the control scheme. 

I have spent many, many hours in each iteration of forge as well.

• Upvote (+1) 1

How can you possibly hate Halo 5's Forge? It's the best we've had in the series by an insane margin.

If you raise the floor high enough, then clamber won't really change the gameplay. Not much you can do about sprint/thrust though.

Kind of neutered by the fact that the amount of AAA shooters that have been released recently has been very, very small.

It's a lot like saying, "hey I won a Halo 4 tournament". No one cares.

The fact that AAA or indie releases have sucked or been sparse really doesn't change my point that I think Halo 5 is a solid game compared to A LOT of shooters. If anything I feel this backs up my point even if it's not in a positive way.

I staunchly disagree that Halo 5 is less of a clusterfuck than Halo 4. I also think that Halo 5 has almost no capacity to be "cleaned up" like the previous games.

I think we could discuss this a bit deeper. I think I disagree about the clusterfuck part but I'm open to your interpretation. I do agree that it has less capacity to be cleaned up like previous games, but again the very start of my post talked about how this isn't a good Halo game. It's just a solid FPS. Of course it would be more difficult to be "cleaned up" to a classic Halo feel. As far as clusterfuck goes the movement techniques may provide for a lot of chaos but I honestly thought Halo 4's abilities were worse, the bolt shot was worse, the loadouts sucked, the ordance caused chaos. Sprint might not have a place in Halo at all, but sprint in Halo 5 at least works better

I think we have differing opinions on what is wrong with the state of competitive Halo, or what the concept of individual power is.

I think you overlooked my first statement citing how I admitted this wasn't a good Halo game by classic Halo standards, but as a standalone FPS it's a solid title. As far as individual power goes, I think I know what it entails. I've seen how plenty of games handle individual skill versus team skill. I once again feel like you interpret my post as more individual power to somehow equate to Halo CE when all I said is it's closer to H2 than anything else.

I'm open to discuss really anything, but if you'd like to could you answer me this. Do you think theres more individual skill involved in Halo 5 than there is in Halo 3? 

The implied context was Halo 5 vs. inferior Halo games.

I think we have differing opinions on what the implied context was  :ghost:  If this was referring to the post I made, I mentioned a bunch of games just didn't go over game mechanics because it's a stretch at that point.

The implied context was Halo 5 vs. inferior Halo games.

I thought you were asking for the context of how Halo 5 is solid, and I used other games as an example. Halo 4 would be as well.

Cooper couldn't have said it any better @@Moa

And we have played all the other teams in the playlist and none of them stack up.

We encouraged snipedown to get a 12 man pro lobby to match but it hasn't happened yet.

I also encourage anyone to match us / make a team to try to beat us.

Soooo your argument is basically "because I don't think there's any other good teams on right now, I'm going to extend these games that I've already won"?

Yep, my opinion of you definitely hasn't changed.

• Downvote (-1) 2

Halo 5's forge mode is the truth. If there's one thing you can't hate on in this game, it's the forge. 

This is coming from the most non-forging person alive. This forge is amazing. And it makes me actually want to turn on the game just to use it.

The controls feeling "terrible" are due to you being used to different controls. You would feel the same way if you went from Bumper Jumper to Green Thumb. The controls would feel awful to you because you aren't used to them, but that doesn't make them bad. 

Once you're used to the controls, they're pretty intricate.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Halo 5's forge mode is the truth. If there's one thing you can't hate on in this game, it's the forge. 

This is coming from the most non-forging person alive. This forge is amazing. 

The controls feeling "terrible" are due to you being used to different controls. You would feel the same way if you went from Bumper Jumper to Green Thumb. The controls would feel awful to you because you aren't used to them, but that doesn't make them bad. 

Once you're used to the controls, they're pretty intricate.

I went from the Halo 4 control scheme to Green thumb. There were some pretty poor games in the transition period...

About the 10th time in the last week/or 2 I haven't been able to get a BTB game. Restrictions for social playlists should be much lower/nonexistent.

• Upvote (+1) 1

About the 10th time in the last week/or 2 I haven't been able to get a BTB game. Restrictions for social playlists should be much lower/nonexistent.

From what I hear, it's just a ranked playlist that omits the actual viewable rank. 343 as of now isn't capable of making social playlists.

I went from the Halo 4 control scheme to Green thumb. There were some pretty poor games in the transition period...

Going from default to bumper jumper back in H3 was the worst. I couldn't win a close quarters fight to save my life because I would just constantly reload lol.

I thought you were asking for the context of how Halo 5 is solid, and I used other games as an example. Halo 4 would be as well.

And I'm banking on the idea that the string of words "Halo 4 is a solid game" would hopefully induce vomiting in most of the people here.

And I'm banking on the idea that the string of words "Halo 4 is a solid game" would hopefully induce vomiting in most of the people here.

Sure, because what a lot of us inherently like (or liked) about Halo isn't present in there