CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

Not trying to mean here. This is a serious question.

How the hell did Josh Holmes become creative director of the Halo franchise when his past work includes a mediocre turok remake and old sports games? Was there really nobody more qualified out there? Maybe someone with you know, experience with multi player shooters?

It's not what you, it's who you know. We like to think that a lot of research goes into who's going to be in these top positions, but sometimes, all it takes is one recommendation from a friend. It's why any top CEO will tell you that networking is, by far, the most important thing to focus on.

• Upvote (+1) 7

People who think the Halo CE AR is weak need to start getting Camo more often.  :kappa:

The CE AR really is a weak weapon though. There are very few cases where you'd actually want to use the thing, since it doesn't even dominate at its niche (the Shotgun and Magnum are better). Regarding quick Camo, even the Plasma Rifle is arguably a better choice.

If you want to see a decent AR, look at the H4 AR. It doesn't dominate the precision weapons, but it's a strong CQC weapon that's actually effective at its niche.

That's the AR I want to see in Halo 5, not what we have right now.

• Downvote (-1) 2

So after hanging out with Teapot and his friends for the night (fun group of ppl btw) I'm starting to like the mobility options even more. Not talking in a game balance sense but there is A LOT of things in these maps you can use SAs with. A bunch of technicalities with using stabilizer, thrust, etc. and the thing is these are pretty hard to do lol. One of teapots friends put it in a good way, these movement options people are discovering are essentially the button combos for h5. They're just instead of being used to kill enemies, used for movement (which can result in killing someone). Also if you need to practice jumps, you should practice on the map named Jumpuzz it teaches a good amount of fundamentals when it comes to the tech people are discovering

Edit: Also I'm going to get mad Neg rep for this but as easy/annoying the sniper is, I really do like that you can make crazy comebacks and with someone having a sniper, the whole match up changes even more differently than Rockets IMO. Sort of reminds me when someone has full stock super in a fighting game, the match up changes dramatically and the other team even if they're down by 8-10 kills is a scary threat.

Still think the sniper needs a nerf though

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

The CE AR really is a weak weapon though. There are very few cases where you'd actually want to use the thing, since it doesn't even dominate at its niche (the Shotgun and Magnum are better). Regarding quick Camo, even the Plasma Rifle is arguably a better choice.

If you want to see a decent AR, look at the H4 AR. It doesn't dominate the precision weapons, but it's a strong CQC weapon that's actually effective at its niche.

That's the AR I want to see in Halo 5, not what we have right now.

Why should the weapon that takes much less skill to use be as effective or almost as effective as a precision weapon in dps?

• Upvote (+1) 1

Why should the weapon that takes much less skill to use be as effective or almost as effective as a precision weapon in dps?

When did I say that it should?

When did I say that it should?

"If you want to see a decent AR, look at the H4 AR. It doesn't dominate the precision weapons, but it's a strong CQC weapon that's actually effective at its niche."

• Downvote (-1) 2

The Halo 4 AR was a second SAW after they buffed it (and I don't even know what to call the SAW after its buff).

• Upvote (+1) 1

"If you want to see a decent AR, look at the H4 AR. It doesn't dominate the precision weapons, but it's a strong CQC weapon that's actually effective at its niche."

When did I say anything about DPS?

"it's a strong CQC weapon that's actually effective at its niche."

The niche being, CQC.

"it's a strong CQC weapon that's actually effective at its niche."

The niche being, CQC.

• Downvote (-1) 1

They are doing the same as Halo 4, going completely off the radar for a good 4-5 week period over xmas

That's not exactly what I am talking about - I haven't seen any dialog about weapon's tweaks or fixing issues w/ the game based upon feedback post launch.  There was one response re: aiming that I know of, and then a complete non-fix, but other than that I haven't seen any acknowledgment that they perceive any problems w/ the game that will be addressed and when that will happen.  Just the typical "sustain" schedule, which isn't customized to how the game has actually been received by the public.  They were slow w/ H4, but they did seem like they were open to feedback and tweaked a lot of it (remember the lack of red X's, weapons re-balance (yes, this took forever, but they did say earlier they were working on it, acknowledging its issues), removing ordnance drops from certain game types, etc., hidden ranks about 9 months after that).  This time around it seems like they don't care what people think of it.  Personally, I think they are bored of their own game, but maybe I'm projecting ;)  Seriously though, compared some other AAA developers, their level of actual engagement is seriously under 9000.

This H1 AR argument is showing who really are the scrubs. The H1 AR is literally perfect at close range as there is a balance of "this gun is easier to use, but if the player is better than me or know's my strat, I will get 3'd". I love that.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 2

I didn't say at all it should be like/have the same efficiency the Magnum. I was just saying, compared to it, it absolutely SUCKS, while the Plasma Rifle has a VERY good chance at demolishing, provided it's used properly.

This just speaks to how useful the plasma rifle is, though. There's no reason to compare the PR and the AR on equal footing.

What is the kill time of a pistol 3sk? 0.6 right?

And the HCE AR perfect kill is what? 1.0? With the average kill time probably being in the 1.1-1.2 range.

So essentially a pistol can still kill an AR user with a 5 or 6 shot kill.

That's a big margin of error.

The CE AR really is a weak weapon though. There are very few cases where you'd actually want to use the thing,

You're not supposed to WANT to use it.

This is the definition of having an actual varied sandbox.

• Upvote (+1) 2

This H1 AR argument is showing who really are the scrubs. The H1 AR is literally perfect at close range as there is a balance of "this gun is easier to use, but if the player is better than me or know's my strat, I will get 3'd". I love that.

Batchford, you're the only hold out from the age of "everyone who disagrees with my forum post must suck at Halo and I will shit talk them" age.

You are a true throwback.

not that I disagree but could you explain this more?

A varied sandbox means not wanting to use a niche weapon at its niche?

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Wat.

Agree with it being a sidearm but you should want to use everything in a situational manner; there shouldn't be a weapon you actively avoid using (needler doesnt even factor in for this)

• Upvote (+1) 1

This wipeout custom game tho

Is there an actual end spot to it? We beat it and it looked like it just ended abruptly. Try Jumpuzz and Saw 1 and Saw 2. Those are pretty difficult in my opinion. Saw offers more maze like structures while Jumpuzz puts H5's movement techniques to the test.

Wat.

Agree with it being a sidearm but you should want to use everything in a situational manner; there shouldn't be a weapon you actively avoid using (needler doesnt even factor in for this)

Fine.

Plasma Pistol then.

Their Top 5 games of the year as voted by AH staff using a point system based on where the game was placed in their individual rankings:

5: Fallout 4

4: Batman Arkham Knight

3: Star Wars Battlefront

2: Halo 5

1: Destiny Taken King

But at the end of the day those are opinions from non-game critics who as a whole agreed that these games were their favorites and they had the most fun in them this year. Are you really going to hate someone or their opinion just because they found a way to enjoy something you couldn't? Because at the end of the day isn't that what matters? Sure it sucks you might not find enjoyment in it but you don't have to rain on someone else's parade that does find enjoyment in it.

huh? any list without Witcher 3 in the top five is literally meaningless

• Upvote (+1) 2