CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

One day ban for Halo 4 spoilers

I didn't know that was in Halo 4, so thanks for spoiling it.

:kappa:

Something something default/out the box/elimination gametypes bring in viewers something.

Meh. At this point, all the playlists offer such unique/differing options (not to confuse with variety) that it doesn't matter if competitive uses its individual settings anyway. Even BTB went down the routes of unique settings with the increased radar range, different starting weapon, unique maps, different score limits, power weapons, etc.

People might claim it was needed for BTB, but the same can be said about competitive. Except those changes (or lack thereof) impact viewership and publicity for the game. 

And Elimination on its own doesn't bring viewers just like that. No one went from CS or CoD to Halo because Breakout is a thing. In fact, people were making a statement out of the fact that rounds kept being tied last tournament and it always came to a massive standstill. Halo is known for being a fast and intense game with a lot of gunfights, not hiding in the back while waiting.

It's for the same reason CoD doesn't try to make Deathmatch work in competitive. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

Just in case you guys didn't know, there's and overwhelming consensus in other communities that the weapons in this game are wonderfully balanced. Now, I personally think this games has some huge balancing issues, with the automatics the most obvious offenders.

Unfortunately the way the communities are right now, I really doubt there will be any balancing in the near future, at least major balancing. This just makes the game incredibly frustrating to play for me, but I really think that's were we're at.

Shit like this

1cwO5k3.jpg

• Upvote (+1) 2

Something something default/out the box/elimination gametypes bring in viewers something.

Having thruster having a reset mechanic if you get a kill would encourage more offensive use of that ability, which in turn would help with some of sandbox.

A thruster resetting on kills would be cool.

Just in case you guys didn't know, there's and overwhelming consensus in other communities that the weapons in this game are wonderfully balanced. Now, I personally think this games has some huge balancing issues, with the automatics the most obvious offenders.

Unfortunately the way the communities are right now, I really doubt there will be any balancing in the near future, at least major balancing. This just makes the game incredibly frustrating to play for me, but I really think that's were we're at.

Shit like this

1cwO5k3.jpg

I don't really have a problem with one or more automatic weapons being on the level of headshot weapons, but it's just so difficult to make them miss for any meaningful amount of time.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 3

Shit like this

1cwO5k3.jpg

People thought Halo 4's sandbox fine, didn't stop them from doing a rebalance. 

I don't understand why auto weapons have to be close range spray weapons with giant reticules. Why can't we get an auto rifle with a small reticule and low aim assist?

I don't understand why auto weapons have to be close range spray weapons with giant reticules. Why can't we get an auto rifle with a small reticule and low aim assist?

You can answer that question if you can answer this one:

Why can't new Halo games have the Grenade Launcher?

• Upvote (+1) 1

I played my placement games fot FFA today since doubles and holliday with hidden rank is gone..

after the first two games everybody was  above mid platinum (so not that low level) and I had at least two games with hardly any percision weapon kills in the whole match among all players...

6 people, about 100 kills and just about 10 pistol/DMR/BR/LR/CC kills (if you're lucky..) and now I have to read comments like that?!

Meh. At this point, all the playlists offer such unique/differing options (not to confuse with variety) that it doesn't matter if competitive uses its individual settings anyway. Even BTB went down the routes of unique settings with the increased radar range, different starting weapon, unique maps, different score limits, power weapons, etc.

People might claim it was needed for BTB, but the same can be said about competitive. Except those changes (or lack thereof) impact viewership and publicity for the game. 

And Elimination on its own doesn't bring viewers just like that. No one went from CS or CoD to Halo because Breakout is a thing. In fact, people were making a statement out of the fact that rounds kept being tied last tournament and it always came to a massive standstill. Halo is known for being a fast and intense game with a lot of gunfights, not hiding in the back while waiting.

It's for the same reason CoD doesn't try to make Deathmatch work in competitive. 

Dont worry im agreeing with you bud (but the argument of viewers was something oddly used for Breakout on these forums, and else where). I think its very obvious they saw CS/CODs success and tried to implement something similar, ignoring key mechanics that allow for those games to function (eg attack/defense).

Hell, they openly said that they looked at MOBAs and said "how can we make this work in Halo" when creating warzone.

Halo thrived from all its unique modes and extreme ability to create any gametype. There seemed to be a very effort deliberate from Quinn and co to homogenize Arena Halo. Its killed the sandbox for 1s/2s, killed the custom community, killed niche gametypes in an effort to drive players to playlists/the competitive side of things.

The disconnect between forge and the rest of the MP team is very obvious. Forge has excellent creativity, and the most wacky option you can play on them is slayer. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

Shit like this

1cwO5k3.jpg

The AR is fine. The perceived problem with the AR, stems from how awful radar range is. It enables reactive camping. If you shoot someone from outside the radar range, let them escape and then attempt to chase them down, the radar doesn't provide the information needed to enter the new area without being at a disadvantage. So you walk in on someone crouching in one of the various corners or ledges (we know there's a shit ton of them in Halo 5) and get jumped by someone using the AR. The pistol isn't good enough to win the fight 90% of the time, and it comes down to an automatic battle where the one who has the element of surprise wins.

The main sandbox imbalances in the game right now is the sniper that connects shots when people straight up miss, the storm rifle that does super lethal health damage and doesn't overcharge fast enough, and the fact that the pistol can't hold a candle to the AR. I think most of those can be for the most part addressed with a pistol buff (and people can keep embracing their "now useful" AR), but the storm rifle needs to be addressed on its own. It's not working as intended. You can get a melee kill in far beyond what is reasonable for that sort of weapon because there's no RoF build-up and the fact that it's so viable to kill people with on its own is also a problem.  

As for the lore/realism argument... it's just dumb. The pistol isn't just a pistol. It's a high caliber magnum from the fucking 26th century. If it was ANY sort of realistic, the thing would be on par with a sniper rifle in terms of damage at the range at which i's used. So I don't even wanna hear that shit about the AR should be better. And claiming that it fails miserably at mid to long range must be coming from someone who doesn't even realize that ADS and/or crouching reduces spread.

• Upvote (+1) 2

If people want the AR to be the main weapon of Halo, then that's fine.

You just have to completely restructure the entire sandbox and weapon system around it to compensate.

People thought Halo 4's sandbox fine, didn't stop them from doing a rebalance.

The constant bitching about the boltshot was a pretty effective catalyst.

Yeah, they're the few people still playing this game. Everyone else left long ago. This game is tanking hard, so who cares what they think? It reminds me of the Waypoint Halo 4 forum 3 years ago, with many people defending the game. Most people that hated the game didn't even want to think about, let alone discuss it on forums.

• Upvote (+1) 6
  • Downvote (-1) 2

The AR is fine. The perceived problem with the AR, stems from how awful radar range is. It enables reactive camping. If you shoot someone from outside the radar range, let them escape and then attempt to chase them down, the radar doesn't provide the information needed to enter the new area without being at a disadvantage. So you walk in on someone crouching in one of the various corners or ledges (we know there's a shit ton of them in Halo 5) and get jumped by someone using the AR. The pistol isn't good enough to win the fight 90% of the time, and it comes down to an automatic battle where the one who has the element of surprise wins.

The main sandbox imbalances in the game right now is the sniper that connects shots when people straight up miss, the storm rifle that does super lethal health damage and doesn't overcharge fast enough, and the fact that the pistol can't hold a candle to the AR. I think most of those can be for the most part addressed with a pistol buff (and people can keep embracing their "now useful" AR), but the storm rifle needs to be addressed on its own. It's not working as intended. You can get a melee kill in far beyond what is reasonable for that sort of weapon because there's no RoF build-up and the fact that it's so viable to kill people with on its own is also a problem.

As much as I agree with what you're saying, with all due respect tere is absolutely no way that the AR is fine as it is. Considering all alternative balancing and settings changes, in conditions suited for and effective pistol, the AR still needs a nerf in the form of damage, range or spread.

http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/a%20TB%203O3/video/13626929

This should never be possible in any Halo game.

• Upvote (+1) 1

The AR in CE was perfect. It was perfect.

I don't know why we can't look back at the good things Halo has done and continue them.

• Upvote (+1) 9

The AR in CE was perfect. It was perfect.

I don't know why we can't look back at the good things Halo has done and continue them.

Except it was basically useless to fight with, at any range. I mean, sure, you could do the double melee/quick camo things with it, but you'd be putting yourself at a severe disadvantage by even switching to it in actual combat due to the insane reticle size and damage output. Compare it to the Plasma Rifle of CE which was to me, was truly perfect for an automatic weapon in Halo, compared to its relative sandbox. Had less damage than the utility, but offered things like the stun-lock effect.

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Autos were fine in all the Bungie Halo's. Nobody likes getting insta-killed by some ***** with an auto from mid-range.

@@BigShow36

You play with bigsauce, would he be proud of the current AR? We should STILL be referring to AR kills as giving someone the bigsauce.

• Upvote (+1) 1

As much as I agree with what you're saying, with all due respect tere is absolutely no way that the AR is fine as it is. Considering all alternative balancing and settings changes, in conditions suited for and effective pistol, the AR still needs a nerf in the form of damage, range or spread.

http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/a%20TB%203O3/video/13626929

This should never be possible in any Halo game.

Well, I didn't mean it's good and balanced, I just said "fine" without putting much meaning behind it.

However, what you need to realize about how I consider the AR to be acceptable is the following. In the specific situation in your clip, had the radar's range been extended as I suggested and was supposed to be (25m), you would have seen that dude on your radar and turned around to engage him. This, on its own, diminishes the AR's ability to get kills uncontested. Now we know the pistol often comes short vs. the AR, and this is where I think the buff should come in. In a competitive FPS, precision needs to be rewarded over unloading an automatic with random spread.

Does it make more sense? The problem itself wasn't how powerful the AR is, it was how you had no viable counter to him engaging because of the short radar not providing the needed information, and the pistol not being good enough to turn around on him even you had not missed a single bullet because he had the first few shots.

I do realize that the AR can be ridiculous, but for the most part, I think it comes from a sum of things... and nerfing weapons when the options to escape are so diverse is not a good approach.

• Upvote (+1) 3

The plasma rifle was shit in every game except H1. I will never understand why they changed it.

• Upvote (+1) 1

The plasma rifle was shit in every game except H1. I will never understand why they changed it.

Dual wield, probably.

It would have been good in Reach had they put an OS on a map or two.

Can't find a BTB game after searching 3 times and waiting 15 minutes. Some social playlist you got there 343.